• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

It's not the score I feel it really deserves, but it justifies itself as a really harsh critique that does address issues I've had with Gambino the past few years. I felt he was much more playful to start and he has definitely lost that along the way. I think he's gotten better on this album than the 2-3 years prior to it, but this guy can't not see through it. The dude is not really self aware, especially as much as he thinks he should be. I still find it bizarre when he strives for the serious tone on a more regular basis instead of having that take a backseat to his obvious comedic talent. He wants to be taken seriously very bad, but he's not willing to play to his strengths first. I really like the guy and I feel like the album deserves something more like a 6.7 or so, but this review totally justifies it's opinion pretty fairly.

Yea, as I've said before, people gassed him up way too much. He shoulda have just stuck to fun songs and his earlier playful attitude. They said it in the review, it's not even the whole self-aware thing, he's obsessed with being what he is and bringing it up in pretty much every single track. More songs like "get like me" and "freaks & geeks" less everything else. Idk, I hate the album aside from Heartbeat but then I pay attention to the lyrics and groan.

overcast

Lol P4k keeps on establishing itself as a joke when it comes to rap. A 1.6? I can't even think of an album that deserves a fucking 1.6. GTFO.

Carter 4 is a 6.2 though..

OG Kush

Kanye & Hov have a series of mini documentaries called Voyr being done. The first one just went up. Looks like they'll consist of behind the scenes interviews and such during their WTT tour.

Is this like kanyes like white persons kinda like voice. do u like kinda get like get me?

Pitchfork reviewers have always been awful when it comes to hip-hop. Peanut Butter and Swelly got a 2.1, for example. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15683-peanut-butter-and-swelly/?utm_campaign=album_reviews&utm_medium=site&utm_source=related They seem to be biased against anything that isn't drone or generic indie music (see that terrible Radiohead review).

They probably gave Camp the incredibly low score due to the line that Glover dropped on All the Shine where he called them out saying, "Pitchfork only likes rappers who crazy or hood man..." Fuck reviews, in general. You don't need a number to tell you what you like or don't like. It's just a shame that a small portion won't even give the album a listen before writing it off.

Divius

L’Orange – Old Soul (2011)
172059375-1.jpg

http://lorange.bandcamp.com/album/old-soul
Had to search a bit back to find this post, but I just got around to it. A few tracks in and I love it. Thanks for the rec.

pakkit

Banned
Pitchfork reviewers have always been awful when it comes to hip-hop. Peanut Butter and Swelly got a 2.1, for example. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15683-peanut-butter-and-swelly/?utm_campaign=album_reviews&utm_medium=site&utm_source=related They seem to be biased against anything that isn't drone or generic indie music (see that terrible Radiohead review).
Seriously? C'mon dude, don't be THAT GUY.

It's one man's opinion. Pitchfork occasionally overblows their negative reviews, usually to make some sort of statement, and it's easy to see that's what they did here. I don't hate Childish Gambino, but I will say that I don't like how he's emerged. His early releases were more tongue in cheek, aping Weezy on purpose, but now he's just turned into a second-rate rapper. Funny guy, and he gets some good beats, but his rapping isn't notable.

Recon

Banned

It's one man's opinion. Pitchfork occasionally overblows their negative reviews, usually to make some sort of statement, and it's easy to see that's what they did here. I don't hate Childish Gambino, but I will say that I don't like how he's emerged. His early releases were more tongue in cheek, aping Weezy on purpose, but now he's just turned into a second-rate rapper. Funny guy, and he gets some good beats, but his rapping isn't notable.

Pitchfork is mentally retarded when it comes to rap. Lil B review proved that, now they are just being silly with the Camp review.

TheOddOne

Drake Parts Ways With Worldwide Management Firm
Drake is hot in the headlines – pun intended – these days.

The Toronto rapper is rumored to be beefing with Kanye West due to the latter not clearing samples for the former’s Take Care album, causing the set to be pushed back a couple of weeks. Now, according to Billboard.biz, Drizzy has parted ways with International Creative Management, which has handled his touring the last two years, replacing them with William Morris Endeavor.

Contrary to earlier New York Post reports, the Toronto, MC hasn’t fired his music management company, Hip-Hop Since 1978, which also manages West, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne and is headed by Gee Roberson, Al Branch and Kyambo “Hip-Hop” Joshua. Drake will also continue his professional relationship with Cortez Bryant, who runs Bryant Management and co-manages Drake.

“WME now represents Drake in all areas worldwide,” reads a statement sent by a WME representative. “Contrary to previous reports, there has been no change with Drake’s management team, and he continues to be managed by Gee Roberson, Al Branch, Kyambo Joshua and Bryant Cortez of Hip Hop Since 1978.”

Billboard.biz reported just last month that, while he had shifted over the bulk of his management to WME that he would still deal with ICM for booking, a representative at WME confirmed to the music business website that Drake will no longer be represented by International Creative Management in any capacity moving forward. The source also said an official statement would be released soon.

“Drake just felt like there were too many hands in his pockets,” a source told the Post. “He was getting pulled in too many different directions. His team from Canada is trying to wrestle back control. He may go back to them to streamline things.”

A representative for Drake has not returned emails as of press time.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

so 1.6 is fair? pitchfork is shit.

pakkit

Banned
Pitchfork is mentally retarded when it comes to rap. Lil B review proved that, now they are just being silly with the Camp review.
Pitchfork isn't an entity, they're a collective of ~50 reviewers. They've had rappers as reviewers (Cadence Weapon used to contribute before he emerged as a rapper), and have given nods to acts like Das Racist and
Jay Electronica.

Is this review fair? Not especially, but don't extend that to attack a whole website.

Recon

Banned
Pitchfork isn't an entity, they're a collective of ~50 reviewers. They've had rappers as reviewers (Cadence Weapon used to contribute before he emerged as a rapper), and have given nods to acts like Das Racist and
Jay Electronica.

Is this review fair? Not especially, but don't extend that to attack a whole website.

The reviewers are a representation of Pitchfork. Thus they are mentally retarded monkeys.

joelseph

Bullshit. Pitchfork is in the middle of a rap revival. They just don't like the same stuff gaf hop enjoys. No hate either direction.

Recon

Banned
Bullshit. Pitchfork is in the middle of a rap revival. They just don't like the same stuff gaf hop enjoys. No hate either direction.

Haha no. It actually falls in line with Gafs taste. High scores for WTT and Lil B, low scores for Wayne and Gambino. What i am attacking is their rap reviews themselves and how obviously they are influenced by hype surrounding an artist or album.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So anyone who has been to a WTT show, has there been any guest appearances?

I just got word that Bun B is going to get on stage for Big Pimpin with Kanye possibly doing Pimp C's part. That is going to be worth the price of admission alone for me.

Young Jeezy on Can't Tell me Nothing would have been a no-brainer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's not the score I feel it really deserves, but it justifies itself as a really harsh critique that does address issues I've had with Gambino the past few years. I felt he was much more playful to start and he has definitely lost that along the way. I think he's gotten better on this album than the 2-3 years prior to it, but this guy can't not see through it. The dude is not really self aware, especially as much as he thinks he should be. I still find it bizarre when he strives for the serious tone on a more regular basis instead of having that take a backseat to his obvious comedic talent. He wants to be taken seriously very bad, but he's not willing to play to his strengths first. I really like the guy and I feel like the album deserves something more like a 6.7 or so, but this review totally justifies it's opinion pretty fairly.
You summed it up pretty well here, but listening to Gambino for the first time with the last EP, I dont see any of that. I don't see the so called charm. He just wants to clump all of TVTropes into one verse doing his best Weezy/Drake impression. It's really not impressive at all, and the desperation and forcefulness of it all is way too visible. It's a shame, he's a decent producer.

I will still give Camp a chance.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I just got word that Bun B is going to get on stage for Big Pimpin with Kanye possibly doing Pimp C's part. That is going to be worth the price of admission alone for me.
I saw someone on Twitter saying that Jay did Pimp's verse on Big Pimpin' a capella during their show. That would be pretty dope.

Speaking of songs with Pimp C guest spots, "Where Da G's" by Dizzee Rascal came up on my iPod today. Pimp's verse on that song is absolutely ridiculous. One of his best ever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I saw someone on Twitter saying that Jay did Pimp's verse on Big Pimpin' a capella during their show. That would be pretty dope.

Speaking of songs with Pimp C guest spots, "Where Da G's" by Dizzee Rascal came up on my iPod today. Pimp's verse on that song is absolutely ridiculous. One of his best ever.
There's a video out there of Jay doing Pimp's verse and it's as dope as it sounds.

joelseph

Haha no. It actually falls in line with Gafs taste. High scores for WTT and Lil B, low scores for Wayne and Gambino. What i am attacking is their rap reviews themselves and how obviously they are influenced by hype surrounding an artist or album.

Yeah totally, those four reviews. hahaha.

Esch

Banned
pitchfork just enjoy trolling as much as the average forum poster, that's all

people obsess a lot over scores and they know they can get hits and talk just like what's happening right now when they do give something a ridiculous score. It's the ol' Gamespot method. An obvious counterexample was giving some blowhard shit like MBDTF a 10.

Recon

Banned
pitchfork just enjoy trolling as much as the average forum poster, that's all

people obsess a lot over scores and they know they can get hits and talk just like what's happening right now when they do give something a ridiculous score. It's the ol' Gamespot method. An obvious counterexample was giving some blowhard shit like MBDTF a 10.

Yeah, i dont go there much. But i do find their non-rap reviews decent

coldvein

Banned
for a guy who seems to celebrate the indie scene, isn't that a big close-minded?

absolutely. i realize it's a flaw on my part. i just... can't get past it yet. maybe someday. dudes face shows up on some kids movie cover while i'm looking thru netflix instant watch.

Esch

Banned
absolutely. i realize it's a flaw on my part. i just... can't get past it yet. maybe someday. dudes face shows up on some kids movie cover while i'm looking thru netflix instant watch.

The childish gambino name came from one of those wu-tang name generators.

Drake film career will be such dogshit. Especially if they cast him as the 'tough guy' role haha.

I wonder if he'll take Nicki with him when he leaves YM

Eminem can't sing, why did Jeezy fucking ask him for the hook and not the verse wtf? This song could have been Go to Sleep pt. 2. I thought Yelawolf would have a pretty awful singing voice too but it was pretty decent.

HiResDes

I find myself less surprised by Pitchfork's review of Camp than I am to see people put the album in their top five for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom