• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyone who has been to a WTT show, has there been any guest appearances?

I just got word that Bun B is going to get on stage for Big Pimpin with Kanye possibly doing Pimp C's part. That is going to be worth the price of admission alone for me.

Young Jeezy on Can't Tell me Nothing would have been a no-brainer.

Bun B popped up at a Talib Kweli show here in Dallas earlier this year, so him doing big pimpin' would be even more dope

You say "shock rap crap" and yet you're anticipating some shitty Odd Future collab album in the future. That's their whole schtick son (aside from the dude in your avatar)

kamspy

You say "shock rap crap" and yet you're anticipating some shitty Odd Future collab album in the future. That's their whole schtick son (aside from the dude in your avatar)

I draw the line at handing out government names of family members.

I can't really put it into words right now. There's just something less tasteful about the way Em does it. Not saying OF are a band of high taste :p Their tongue in cheek just comes off more playful and less Jerry Springer.

Em is a talented dude. If he'd just give me full creative control over one little album with him on the mic, I could make a classic. MM LP is the closest thing he has too a good album. Trim some of the bullshit (calling out NSYNC? really?) and personal drama, add "bass" to the beats (seriously, this album doesn't even use my subs) and you've got a good joint. SS LP I couldn't fuck with most of the beats. Whole thing just seems like it rolled off an assembly line. If Dr. Dre actually sat down and produced "My Name Is", I'll eat my timbos. That whole joint just reeked of industry record. Before I started on GAF HOP (having never really had a discussion about hip hop outside of my boys), I honestly thought everyone saw it and the rest of his catalog as kind of a funny novelty. I'm trying to understand. We certainly listened to them, but they were always kinda....god, I swear I'm not trolling, but like really good hip hop weird al yankovich. NOT IN A BAD WAY. I FUCKS WITH AMISH PARADISE. That had to be the biggest culture shock for me when talking about hip hop with people from all over the world. (finding out a lot of people takes his albums seriously, and rank them with other hip hop albums) The rest was pretty much how I thought it would be.

Recon

Banned
I draw the line at handing out government names of family members.

I can't really put it into words right now. There's just something less tasteful about the way Em does it. Not saying OF are a band of high taste :p Their tongue in cheek just comes off more playful and less Jerry Springer.

Em is a talented dude. If he'd just give me full creative control over one little album with him on the mic, I could make a classic.
This is probably the nicest thing you have said about Em, lol. I do agree though, if he stopped singing/screaming, he could make an album I could get hyped for. Even with him yelling, Bad meets Evil was the best em has been in a long time.

I find myself less surprised by Pitchfork's review of Camp than I am to see people put the album in their top five for the year.
Seriously.

I think 1.5 is way low, MBDNBANHLNFl review was absurd and their Drake review is LOL. But they're usually pretty good with reviews see: Danny Brown's, Shabazz Palaces', KRIT's and others.

My biggest gripe is that they outright ignore stuff like Cunninlynguists, Action Bronson and such but review Lil B and really small indie bands, its like they're more interested in being apart of the "heard it long ago" crowd rather than promote good music that is in an awkward spot of being too big but not big enough.

zychi

Banned
So anyone who has been to a WTT show, has there been any guest appearances?

I just got word that Bun B is going to get on stage for Big Pimpin with Kanye possibly doing Pimp C's part. That is going to be worth the price of admission alone for me.

Young Jeezy on Can't Tell me Nothing would have been a no-brainer.

No guests in Chicago last night. As much as I wanted Lupe to show up for Touch the Sky he didn't. Maybe tonight?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You summed it up pretty well here, but listening to Gambino for the first time with the last EP, I dont see any of that. I don't see the so called charm. He just wants to clump all of TVTropes into one verse doing his best Weezy/Drake impression. It's really not impressive at all, and the desperation and forcefulness of it all is way too visible. It's a shame, he's a decent producer.

I will still give Camp a chance.

You really got to go back to when he was doing just cheesy fun frooty loops beats under the mcDJ moniker to really get a sense of the innocent fun he used to be having. Now he's too concerned with making a statement and addressing haters or whatever. He just does not have the chops to do this as a serious thing and his stans need to stop pushing him towards that.

Speaking of songs with Pimp C guest spots, "Where Da G's" by Dizzee Rascal came up on my iPod today. Pimp's verse on that song is absolutely ridiculous. One of his best ever.

Oh fuck yes. That verse is so sick. Putting it on now.

PBY

Banned
20111201-SGP.jpg

http://hulkshare.com/7z6dyk8vqtj2

S
W
V
G

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ah man, I totally forgot how insanely diverse this Maths+English album is. Dizzee touched on it all with this one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Should 50 hang up the mic?

Seriously, hes shitting out throwaway tracks just to promote other shit, and this has been his schtick for the past few years, he's trying so hard to unnaturally, or forcefully recreate the hungry sound of his debut, which is pointless for any artist to try to do. It's clear his interests are elsewhere and music is an obligation or second thought at this point.

Although I didn't like it, Curtis was the evolution where he realized, oh fuck im rich and can't keep rapping about being hood anymore.. And then he did BISD (which I thought was good, but a step in the wrong direction). And now he has an identity crisis. Do I do europop? Do I do the hood shit? Both of which are wrong answers.

Also, cross posting from Grammys thread:

Kanye comments on not getting nominated.

THROUGH THE WIRE MOTHERFUCKER.

It's not what you expect.

KAL2006

Banned
What does GAFHop think of Astro from X Factor. I just watched all his performances on X Factor on YouTube, I think he better than many hop hop artists in the game right now.

Recon

Banned
What does GAFHop think of Astro from X Factor. I just watched all his performances on X Factor on YouTube, I think he better than many hop hop artists in the game right now.

Lol. I will just say i strongly disagree. He isnt bad for his age though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What a weird fucking Roots album.

Not sure if I really like it or so so... I'll give it another week before I make up my mind.

The one track that is really standing out for me is Tip The Scale. I turn the volume all the way up for that opener, ?uestlove has always had amazing sound drums, the dude just knows how to really get a nice, fat, punchy kick.

Recon

Banned
Just got done skyping with my friend who is doing some vocals on a track....fuck. Makes me look bad, she is so damn good. I should have it by tonight, but she played me what she had....damn....i cant wait to let you guys hear it.

The M.O.B

I've heard rumors Jay-Z has signed Astro from X Factor to Roc Nation, I wonder if it's true.

Astro is a good rapper for a kid, but compared to so many other rappers out there he would probably barely be ranked in the top 100.

I could see Jay signing the kid and letting him marinate for a couple years like what he did with J.Cole.

so GAF-Hop, where does "Cha Cha Slide" rank in the pantheon of great hip-hop beats?

But seriously, does that dude have some exclusive contract with bowling alleys or something? That's the only place I ever hear that song.
I hate it

PBY

Banned
See, I don't get this... He makes the type of music that hip hop heads might not like, but he can make a radio hit. theres like zero hype/club play from what I've seen.

Not gonna lie, there are songs on the album that are catchy as fuck. The Pitbull track is a club banger.

JackEtc

So for the past few months, I've heard the name Mac Miller thrown around by some people at school. Then, about 2 weeks ago, my little brother starting raving about this Mac Miller guy. I ignored everyone talking about them, as they were all the same people [still] worshiping Lupe, Lil Wayne, J Cole, or whatever mediocre artist happened to be in the limelight and playing on the radio.

Yesterday, he performed at some venue really close to me, and a bunch of people from school went, and were talking about how awesome he was on Facebook and in class. So I decided to go out and listen to a few of his tracks, see if maybe the "Top 10" crowd had finally developed some taste.

...This dude is TERRIBLE. Like, really. What the fuck is this?

Recon

Banned
So for the past few months, I've heard the name Mac Miller thrown around by some people at school. Then, about 2 weeks ago, my little brother starting raving about this Mac Miller guy. I ignored everyone talking about them, as they were all the same people [still] worshiping Lupe, Lil Wayne, J Cole, or whatever mediocre artist happened to be in the limelight and playing on the radio.

Yesterday, he performed at some venue really close to me, and a bunch of people from school went, and were talking about how awesome he was on Facebook and in class. So I decided to go out and listen to a few of his tracks, see if maybe the "Top 10" crowd had finally developed some taste.

No offense, but i have a strong urge to slap you.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Mac Miller is fucking garbage but you have fucking gaga in your avatar, it's not like you have any room to talk about shit taste.

He tries to deliver every line like it's the best thing ever written, or he doesn't put any emotion in them at all. Mediocre beats, generic lyrics, stoner; he appeals to the high school crowd.

More Spaceghostpurp is always a good thing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Is the new Game album any good? I was looking up info and found out Dr Dre didn't produce a single song. I haven't really followed him since Doctors Advocate but is any of it worthy of pre-DA?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Is the new Game album any good? I was looking up info and found out Dr Dre didn't produce a single song. I haven't really followed him since Doctors Advocate but is any of it worthy of pre-DA?

Just listen to The City and Martians vs Goblins.

JackEtc

No offense, but i have a strong urge to slap you.
I'm not hating on them particularly, but it's extremely angering when people at my school talk about them as if they are on the same level as someone like Jay-Z, and then at the same time have no idea who Nas or the Wu-Tang Clan is when I tell them what I'm listening to while working in the computer lab.
Mac Miller is fucking garbage but you have fucking gaga in your avatar, it's not like you have any room to talk about shit taste.
*sigh* I thought we'd all be bigger than comments like that. Personally, I think she's really talented and has an amazing voice, her piano-only/acoustic songs are really incredible in my opinion, and what made me like her after giving her shit for a long time. But to each their own, I suppose.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm not hating on them particularly, but it's extremely angering when people at my school talk about them as if they are on the same level as someone like Jay-Z, and then at the same time have no idea who Nas or the Wu-Tang Clan is when I tell them what I'm listening to while working in the computer lab.

*sigh* I thought we'd all be bigger than comments like that. Personally, I think she's really talented and has an amazing voice, her piano-only/acoustic songs are really incredible in my opinion, and what made me like her after giving her shit for a long time. But to each their own, I suppose.

She's complete dogshit and the most irritating pop singer going today. But I still love you like a fat kid loves cake.

Recon

Banned
Normally i wouldnt give a shit about a pop singer, but what is irritating is gaga fans think she is some musical genius. But honestly, she is a third rate madonna clone with mental problems. Amy Winehouse was leagues better, plus my sexy chunk-O-white chocolate puts her to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom