• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
needs Q and Ab Soul. And I'm not a big fan but you'd think ASAP Rocky would be here with his couple million dollars deal.

lol holy shit just saw last year's list. KRIT, Yela and Kendrick are cool. Fred the Godson looks like an orc.

DominoKid

if only chuuwee and thurz were on that shit :[

i guarantee you ASAP Rocky will be on one of these soon

i think Rocky's gonna take a page out of Drake's book and decline if offered.

also that new WZRD track is kinda nice. faith restored since i've liked pretty much everything aside from PITW

m3k

hey so eminem and lil wayne are in sydney... or rather they just left

i didnt go cause i cant be bothered with the crowds and im not that big of a fan of ems anymore... by all reports em was shit, dj talked more than him blah blah

i know australia is a long trip for rappers but yeah has anyone seen him live... i thought he wouldve put on a good show... being doing it for a long time, second time hes come but its been a long time between trips

just curious if anyone on gaf hop has seen him live and what he was like?

Recon

Banned

i didnt go cause i cant be bothered with the crowds and im not that big of a fan of ems anymore... by all reports em was shit, dj talked more than him blah blah

i know australia is a long trip for rappers but yeah has anyone seen him live... i thought he wouldve put on a good show... being doing it for a long time, second time hes come but its been a long time between trips

I had several friends go to his last show in Detroit last year. By all accounts he killed it and it was a great show.

GamerSoul

I like this better than his last song

link
http://www.mediafire.com/?fy7tr416ighbidb

Not bad. I don't know if I'm excited for the album though.

Cudi fans are serious business, dude carved out a nice, solid fanbase with MotM 1 & 2 so it's not really surprising. Riding the "music for druggies, getting tripped out, etc." train usually leads to moderate success.

I think Cudi got a good amount of his appeal because he was more relatable as a person than most artist in his music. That's what I liked about him.

I don't know half that list of freshman lol. This time i'll pay closer attention to them because I missed out on KRIT for awhile. And lol @ the thought of Kreyshawn freestyling next to some of these guys. Will be entertaining.

m3k

I had several friends go to his last show in Detroit last year. By all accounts he killed it and it was a great show.

wellllllllllllllll australian government gave him shit last time he came and your friends saw him in detroit... but perhaps he was just off this show or two

Kwixotik

Anyone got recommendations for just a good rap album? Minimal production/singing/etc, I just want to listen to some rap.

Also, checked out Undun and Spiritual State last night, as recommended. Highly enjoyed both, but haven't given them a solid listen as I've only had time for background music.

Anyone got recommendations for just a good rap album? Minimal production/singing/etc, I just want to listen to some rap.

Also, checked out Undun and Spiritual State last night, as recommended. Highly enjoyed both, but haven't given them a solid listen as I've only had time for background music.

Hmm, I say Torae - For the Record. I don't really know what you mean by minimal production though....link for a song off it

Kwixotik

Hmm, I say Torae - For the Record. I don't really know what you mean by minimal production though....

I don't really mean minimal production when I say minimal production. Just a focus on lyrics and flow.

Edit: Thanks for the recommendation. Starting it on Spotify now.

IrishNinja

tokus - UC1 will likely do little for you then, shooting-wise. just a heads-up, m'man.

This Chucks hate is killing me on the inside and outside.

I may just die.

+1, i fucks with boots on trails, about the only non-work shoe i wear would be chucks.

I think you just described a day in the life of Tyler the Creator.....

see, siddx had me thinking i should take my words back, but now i wanna stand by em. id kick it with Tyler.

Maybe he's sleeping with Badu too. The West Coast Jay Elec.

everything makes sense now

?? How is 10 big? i have 11 and im not tall, lol. Well, im 6ft, so fairly average.

how the fuck...? 10 and a 1/2, 5'7" here; fuck your averages, haha.

you know how much i would give to be 6ft? alot. i bet i could say the same for hires

cold as ice

Take Care, is a great album. Some earlier gaf-hoppers will tell you, I was as big a drake hater as they get, but I fucking love Take Care. It's what TML shoulda been. A really good spot for him.

+1, again.

Women pretend that they're getting sung to. Men pretend that they're the ones singing. Surrogate experiences all around.

wow, this shit was spot-on. im either mentally preparing for some karaoke shit or def jam rapstar or the like.

My 3rd fav; Sky is Tumbling is my #1- I'm in the "I like Nujabes' emcees" camp

it's a fine camp! back to zelda.

Kuraudo

Banned

Saw him at Tennants Vital this summer. Dude fucking killed it.

Made standing through Jimmy Eats World and the Kaiser Cheifs worthwhile.

I'm a huge Em stan though.

Almost 5'8", 10 1/2. I only buy nike dunks (best shoe ever, I don't fucks with no chucks).

Edit: oh, irish and I are basically shoebros. (or not, chucks suck)

Edit2: count me to the nujabes mcs fans too. Their style complements his production pretty well.

Jay Sosa

I can't wait for the ASAP Rocky album
just to read all the posts how horrible he is from the same people that hype him now
List is ok, lack of Q and soul is a bit strange.

fred-the-godson-295x300.jpg

Fred the Godson looks like an orc.

Indeed

I'm sorry, I just don't get how men can dig Drake songs, to be honest. He unapologetically makes music for women. He admits it, we all know it. How are you enjoying this stuff?

Just like I enjoy Marvin Gaye and Al Green?

Macca

I imagine a whole album from Whiz full of love songs...like he goes through a Barry White phase and then professes his love at some really shitty awards show.

Then kanye runs up and bops him one in the chops.

also this!

L9PA6.jpg

Article Here
GZA is a man of science. Getting info for that LS2 I'm sure.

sMxzz.jpg

I imagine a whole album from Whiz full of love songs...like he goes through a Barry White phase and then professes his love at some really shitty awards show.

Then kanye runs up and bops him one in the chops.

also this!

L9PA6.jpg

Article Here

This gives me some hype for LS2. GZA is about the only rapper I can tolerate rapping about science (who am I kidding, I love it).

IrishNinja said:
aw, those are the best kind've shoebros! you're never gonna wanna jack my chancletas, and if anyone gifts me nikes, i'ma regift em to you as soon as they ain't looking.

I throw my kicks away after wearing them once.
Haven't slept for weeks because of the stench. I think I've lost some toes.

Bishman

Just got back from the Houston WTT show. Great show, alot of production value and sound was awesome. One thing that came through during the show is how many HITS Jay and Kanye have I mean, HITS that people knew every word to. Taking a step back, it was just amazing how many songs they have made that the world loves. Mainstream, underground, pop fans, they have hit on many levels.

The only downside is that it just felt like a hit factory after awhile. I mean, hit after hit after hit. The exact same setlist from other cities, no guests appearances (Bun B was there, didn't perform), a few lyrical nods to Houston but it was almost like having a playlist of Jay/Kanye greatest hits playing super loud. While a good time, I did miss some real passion that I have seen in other shows. Notably Big K.R.I.T. recently. As the show went on, it seemed alot like Jay trying to pay off that LiveNation loan.

Anyway, here is a video of Otis that looks like it was filmed from Austin, I was in the lower lever, but the audio is on point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFhxC3CKHoo

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and glad I went but at a point it felt like a "corporate rap show"

I was there too. The concert was amazing. And since I'm a big Jay fan and its my first time seeing him live - I had a fucking blast. The production and sound was top notch! Kanye wasn't kidding with that stadium status music. Niggas in Paris x 5!!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Could you go more in depth with what you mean? Interested. Like what did you feel was different from big Krit show than Kanye/Jayz? He brought out more people or didn't just play his most popular songs?

To me, when it is a night of nothing but the hits, it seems alot less interesting. No album tracks, no freestyles, no guests, etc. It was just the hits back to back to back. I was hyped in the beginning, but started to feel some "hit fatigue" as the night went on. I think I would have preferred if they had played some of their personal favorites, not just sticking to the exact same setlist.

Krit's show obviously was in a smaller arena, more intimate, but the passion was there. Dude looked happy to be there and thankful for the people who came out. WTT is a big traveling roadshow while impressive and I am happy rap has gone mainstream enough to fill up 17k seat arenas but definitely a different experience.

Another thing, the show doesn't really flow that well. Kanye wants his theatrics, Jay wants a basic rap show and they tried to marry the two concepts, but it just seemed so disjointed at times.

I am nitpicking my ass off, it was a great show. I just had those feelings during and after the show. If you get a chance to go, do it.

coldvein

Banned
To me, when it is a night of nothing but the hits, it seems alot less interesting. No album tracks, no freestyles, no guests, etc. It was just the hits back to back to back. I was hyped in the beginning, but started to feel some "hit fatigue" as the night went on. I think I would have preferred if they had played some of their personal favorites, not just sticking to the exact same setlist.

Krit's show obviously was in a smaller arena, more intimate, but the passion was there. Dude looked happy to be there and thankful for the people who came out. WTT is a big traveling roadshow while impressive and I am happy rap has gone mainstream enough to fill up 17k seat arenas but definitely a different experience.

Another thing, the show doesn't really flow that well. Kanye wants his theatrics, Jay wants a basic rap show and they tried to marry the two concepts, but it just seemed so disjointed at times.

I am nitpicking my ass off, it was a great show. I just had those feelings during and after the show. If you get a chance to go, do it.

sounds... not that great. i guess i'd go just to see the spectacle of it all. i wouldn't expect to actually get hyped at all during the show. especially with 17k other people there. jesus. smaller shows are definitely the way to go..

PBY

Banned
sounds... not that great. i guess i'd go just to see the spectacle of it all. i wouldn't expect to actually get hyped at all during the show. especially with 17k other people there. jesus. smaller shows are definitely the way to go..

what? it was hype as hell. shit was crayyyy

DominoKid

so wtf do yall do when yall have writers block.

cause i can think of flows, but i cannot think of any lyrics to save my life and its really starting to fuck w/ me. i havent been able to write a verse since early Nov.

Esch

Banned
so wtf do yall do when yall have writers block.

cause i can think of flows, but i cannot think of any lyrics to save my life and its really starting to fuck w/ me. i havent been able to write a verse since early Nov.
idk about raps but i think of writers block as being a pretty universal

A)inability to apply words to ideas
or
B)inability to formulate ideas to attach to words

and the answer to each is always the same: read. Read something with actual substance, for pleasure.

PBY

Banned
@ScHoolBoyQ
ScHoolboy Q
iono i migHt Have a surprise for yall, remember i kept saying (sooner tHan u tHink?) well yeaH #HnC lets see wat Happens (MAYBE)

yuppp

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The problem with Drake isn't that he is RnB, it's that he isn't RnB. He cant sing, he cant rap, so he does this little muddled up mutated mixture of the two that sounds like shit. Nobody with a pair of testicles should be fucking with drake. If you wanna "pretend you are singing to some chick" like a fucking lame, do it to some real RnB, something with actual passion and soul, Barry White, Marvin, Al Green, and so on. You know, guys who were actual singers and knew how to sing about girls without sounding like a giant floppy vagina.
If I sang a Drake song to a chick and she didn't punch me in the fucking face for being a manbitch I wouldn't respect her.

In regards to writers block, I've done multiple things to break it, with varying success.
I've forced myself to write, anything, even shitty stuff. Just write and write and write even if it ends up being the worst thing ever put on paper. Eventually it starts to get better and I found myself breaking free.
Sometimes I make an instrumental or my partner makes one that just makes me immediately want to write something. Or I'll hear a song from an artist that makes me go "holy fuck I wish I had made that" and it inspires me to get working.
Sometimes I'll get in the car, put on some music, and just drive down some backroad for an hour, thinking about lyrics, recording them on my smart phone if I come up with something.
Sometimes I found tasking myself with writing something different from what I usually write helps break it. Just pick a subject you would normally never or rarely write about.
On a related note, sometimes having a very specific topic, even if it's ridiculous, can help. Like write a verse about peanut butter. Making your "rhyming brain" think about lyrics in a way you don't normally can kickstart some creativity.

DominoKid

idk about raps but i think of writers block as being a pretty universal

A)inability to apply words to ideas
or
B)inability to formulate ideas to attach to words

and the answer to each is always the same: read. Read something with actual substance, for pleasure.

its weird because i've been writing in various forms all my life, but i've never struggled like i have recently.

the problem is mostly A. i'll try the reading thing over xmas break. i've read so much this semester that i'm burned out on it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Siddix nailed it.. Write.. Produce something even if not very long. Then you can let something build from what you wote..

When I wrote a novel (just finished and am getting it edited now) I would force myself to write something... Even if just a few sentences.. It was progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom