• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
sounds... not that great. i guess i'd go just to see the spectacle of it all. i wouldn't expect to actually get hyped at all during the show. especially with 17k other people there. jesus. smaller shows are definitely the way to go..

I got hyped, that wasn't the problem. The spectacle of an entire crowd singing every word, throwing up the rock, etc. was awesome. It just was "hit fatigue" after awhile. Maybe the pacing of the show was not right, I don't know. I still give it a 8 out of 10

DominoKid

tumblr_luzc8jrsSX1qj0nueo1_400.gif

i like how it's nearly perfect w/ the flow of the lyric though although i would've had a pic of wayne looking silly as shit for the Tunechi part.

In regards to writers block, I've done multiple things to break it, with varying success.
I've forced myself to write, anything, even shitty stuff. Just write and write and write even if it ends up being the worst thing ever put on paper. Eventually it starts to get better and I found myself breaking free.
Sometimes I make an instrumental or my partner makes one that just makes me immediately want to write something. Or I'll hear a song from an artist that makes me go "holy fuck I wish I had made that" and it inspires me to get working.
Sometimes I'll get in the car, put on some music, and just drive down some backroad for an hour, thinking about lyrics, recording them on my smart phone if I come up with something.
Sometimes I found tasking myself with writing something different from what I usually write helps break it. Just pick a subject you would normally never or rarely write about.
On a related note, sometimes having a very specific topic, even if it's ridiculous, can help. Like write a verse about peanut butter. Making your "rhyming brain" think about lyrics in a way you don't normally can kickstart some creativity.

will definitely try these. i'm extremely critical on myself so a lot of times i end up deleting stuff as soon as i write it because it's offensively bad to me.

In regards to writers block, I've done multiple things to break it, with varying success.
I've forced myself to write, anything, even shitty stuff. Just write and write and write even if it ends up being the worst thing ever put on paper. Eventually it starts to get better and I found myself breaking free.
Sometimes I make an instrumental or my partner makes one that just makes me immediately want to write something. Or I'll hear a song from an artist that makes me go "holy fuck I wish I had made that" and it inspires me to get working.
Sometimes I'll get in the car, put on some music, and just drive down some backroad for an hour, thinking about lyrics, recording them on my smart phone if I come up with something.
Sometimes I found tasking myself with writing something different from what I usually write helps break it. Just pick a subject you would normally never or rarely write about.
On a related note, sometimes having a very specific topic, even if it's ridiculous, can help. Like write a verse about peanut butter. Making your "rhyming brain" think about lyrics in a way you don't normally can kickstart some creativity.
When I think of the bad stuff I've written *shudder*

What I try sometimes is rap in someone elses style, especially Ghost, Doom and Nas.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
i like how it's nearly perfect w/ the flow of the lyric though although i would've had a pic of wayne looking silly as shit for the Tunechi part.

will definitely try these. i'm extremely critical on myself so a lot of times i end up deleting stuff as soon as i write it because it's offensively bad to me.

I used to have a file called "shitty shit lyrics" or something alone those lines where I would copy paste all the stuff I thought was awful and leave it there. Then I'd go back every so often and check out all the shit I wrote and occasionally find stuff that wasn't all that bad or just needed some modifying to make good. Same thing with beats, I had a folder called shit beats where I'd leave everything that i thought sucked but once in a while I'd go back to see if I could salvage anything.

But yeah, I really recommend trying to write something completely out of the ordinary, something ridiculous that you've never done before. Write a country music song about stalking girls (mine was called "take off yer clothes so I can go home") or a verse about tibetan monks fighting zombies. I find my blocks come when im trying to write more of the same old shit I've been writing for like 17 years now. Sometimes your brain is just like "man fuck this, I can't think of other line to explain how awesome but fucked up you are".

PBY

Banned
its weird because i've been writing in various forms all my life, but i've never struggled like i have recently.

the problem is mostly A. i'll try the reading thing over xmas break. i've read so much this semester that i'm burned out on it.

This is different, but it might help- whenever i get stuck w/ producing, I basically stop listening to rap and just go and listen to a whole bunch of random genres- pop, rock, whatever. It really really helps just go out and experience different things.

Recon

Banned
This is different, but it might help- whenever i get stuck w/ producing, I basically stop listening to rap and just go and listen to a whole bunch of random genres- pop, rock, whatever. It really really helps just go out and experience different things.

This. When im trying to write, i dont listen to rap. I listen to some punk rock and some Beatles. Shit helps me out a lot.

Man I got a story to tell.....

Of all the friends I had growing up, only one was serious about music.
With my friends, "yeah that's banging" was pretty much the entirety of the conversation but I had one friend who I'd talk serious music with, philosophies, beats, samples, drum patterns and all that. I turned him on to Timbaland then we got hooked on the Neptunes hard back in the day. The N*E*R*D 'In Search Of...' record was the bible. The Clipse beat for Grindin' had us both wanting to produce.
He actually did start, first with eJay (remember that?) then he started to get himself some proper equipment around the time Kanye dropped College Dropout.
My friend flipped for that shit, literally got on the whole digging-his-parents-records-out-of-the-attic-to-sample-them shit. That sped-up soul sample thing became his whole style.

So then I move away and I haven't seen him for years now. I finally hook up with him the other day and we're catching up over a drink. I hear some of his beats (he's still going, had tracks playing on the radio and stuff) and he's still got that ol' sped-up soul sample early Kanye style going on. So I finally ask him about Kanye. Is he still digging him? What does he think of his stuff post-Late Registration? Is he still his favourite producer?

This is what he had to say:
"Kanye man. I don't like Kanye anymore. A Kanye tune comes on I can't even finish it. He lost it man. He lost it when he sold his soul to the devil."

.....blank face
.....blanker face
.....blankest face

He wasn't joking!!!
Then he started talking about the illuminati and shit!
What. The. Fuck!
I thought this whole Yeezy+Hova+Illuminati thing was like a internet forum in-joke or something. People really, really, actually think this stuff is true!?

WOW!
Sorry this was long as fuck but man it tripped me out big time. Then I haven't been able to stop laughing since.

kamspy

So, the new Roots album Undun (feat. Dice Raw). Just dl'd it from Amazon (it's on sale for $3.99, how about paying for the album peeps. ;) (feat. Dice Raw) It's also the first CBR album I've got from Amazon. Just odd. Thought I'd throw that out there. (feat. Dice Raw)

So the joint is hot. I'm really digging it. Make My is really dope (feat. Dice Raw) and Kool On is a player ass track. For some reason the first time I heard it (feat. Dice Raw)my first thought was that it needed a vintage 50 Cent verse! And that's not a thought that's ever passed through my head before when listening to a song. Especially recently. Anyway, album is probably as solid as people are saying. I'm not ready to really rate it yet (it will be rated above average at minimum) (feat. Dice Raw). I've only given it one listen and a few cuts I went back to. These are basically first impressions.

If I have a major complaint, it's that there is not enough Black Thought. I know the Roots want to go off on improv melodies for like at least 90 seconds on each track (feat. Dice Raw), but with all the features on this album, I'm really not getting enough Black Thought.

I wish he did that solo album he talked about back in the day. I love the Roots and they'll probably always be my favorite live band to see, but I need me a pure Thought album. No jam sessions, no faux art covers, just Black. Also, I fucks with a Dice Raw feature, but this was just too much. (feat. Dice Raw)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didnt know this, but if you visit Bandcamp on your iPhone, the site is really well optimized for touch gestures and stuff to preview music.

Also, chick I'm into is a massive Taylor Swift Stan.

GamerSoul

Man I got a story to tell.....

Of all the friends I had growing up, only one was serious about music.
With my friends, "yeah that's banging" was pretty much the entirety of the conversation but I had one friend who I'd talk serious music with, philosophies, beats, samples, drum patterns and all that. I turned him on to Timbaland then we got hooked on the Neptunes hard back in the day. The N*E*R*D 'In Search Of...' record was the bible. The Clipse beat for Grindin' had us both wanting to produce.
He actually did start, first with eJay (remember that?) then he started to get himself some proper equipment around the time Kanye dropped College Dropout.
My friend flipped for that shit, literally got on the whole digging-his-parents-records-out-of-the-attic-to-sample-them shit. That sped-up soul sample thing became his whole style.

So then I move away and I haven't seen him for years now. I finally hook up with him the other day and we're catching up over a drink. I hear some of his beats (he's still going, had tracks playing on the radio and stuff) and he's still got that ol' sped-up soul sample early Kanye style going on. So I finally ask him about Kanye. Is he still digging him? What does he think of his stuff post-Late Registration? Is he still his favourite producer?

This is what he had to say:
"Kanye man. I don't like Kanye anymore. A Kanye tune comes on I can't even finish it. He lost it man. He lost it when he sold his soul to the devil."

.....blank face
.....blanker face
.....blankest face

He wasn't joking!!!
Then he started talking about the illuminati and shit!
What. The. Fuck!
I thought this whole Yeezy+Hova+Illuminati thing was like a internet forum in-joke or something. People really, really, actually think this stuff is true!?

WOW!
Sorry this was long as fuck but man it tripped me out big time. Then I haven't been able to stop laughing since.

Hah, I've heard this too from a friend and my brother. But he told me Jay was the guy who sold his soul first to achieve success, then Ye joined in. lol. I'll just stick to the music.

Recon

Banned
Since i dont believe in "god" or whatever, so it is hilarious hearing these wack jobs talking about an artist selling his soul for success.

Also, chick I'm into is a massive Taylor Swift Stan.

hahahahaha, I hope everything works out!

Edit: Yeah, the whole Illuminati talk, there are some people who are COMPLETELY serious about the whole deal. I remember in high school,this one dude in my computer class would sit and google it pretty much the entire class then try to teach me about it. I think it's pretty funny honestly how many dots people connect together.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So, the new Roots album Undun (feat. Dice Raw). Just dl'd it from Amazon (it's on sale for $3.99, how about paying for the album peeps. ;) (feat. Dice Raw) It's also the first CBR album I've got from Amazon. Just odd. Thought I'd throw that out there. (feat. Dice Raw)

So the joint is hot. I'm really digging it. Make My is really dope (feat. Dice Raw) and Kool On is a player ass track. For some reason the first time I heard it (feat. Dice Raw)my first thought was that it needed a vintage 50 Cent verse! And that's not a thought that's ever passed through my head before when listening to a song. Especially recently. Anyway, album is probably as solid as people are saying. I'm not ready to really rate it yet (it will be rated above average at minimum) (feat. Dice Raw). I've only given it one listen and a few cuts I went back to. These are basically first impressions.

If I have a major complaint, it's that there is not enough Black Thought. I know the Roots want to go off on improv melodies for like at least 90 seconds on each track (feat. Dice Raw), but with all the features on this album, I'm really not getting enough Black Thought.

I wish he did that solo album he talked about back in the day. I love the Roots and they'll probably always be my favorite live band to see, but I need me a pure Thought album. No jam sessions, no faux art covers, just Black. Also, I fucks with a Dice Raw feature, but this was just too much. (feat. Dice Raw)

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I'll get it tonight.

GamerSoul

Since i dont believe in "god" or whatever, so it is hilarious hearing this wack jobs talking about an artist selling his soul for success.

I understand it in the sense that an artist may give up what got them to that point and "sell out" to the industry. But it's hard to believe if it goes farther than that in such a manner. It would be an interesting fantasy story to write though... hmm

+1 for Undun. I'm feeling it. Very cohesive.

I think it should be omitted like the Frank Ocean album and the Weeknd stuff. Wrong genre.

I don't know, I like Frank and I tolerate Weeknd but if you're not under 20 and trying to get into some barely legal panties with Take Care you gotta have some serious explaining to do why you like it...

you don't know man, you just don't knowwwwwww

I went into the album without prejudice because a girl I'm into likes his stuff. She posted some quotes on facebook and I was like I ain't fronting on nobody for respecting women and all. So I press play on that first track, expecting something decent. Mind you, I hadn't heard him spit a single verse. Then he drops bull in the first line. You expect me to take that shit?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This mentality is what went wrong with the album.

Shady A&Rs: "Not only can we go after teenage girls with this album, we can also get the Travis Barker crowd"

Iovine: "Make it so"

Eminem: "Butt penis fart!?"

Yelawolf: " o.....k? :| "

Barker is most likely there because Yela is apart of the FSAS family.

I went into the album without prejudice because a girl I'm into likes his stuff.

this probably sounds desperate as shit haha but it's probably the only reason I occasionally listen to Drake. A lot of girls like this shit. And it makes for a great conversational piece with them. I should also start wearing a bunch of gold and looking sad as shit.

siddx

Finally got around to ASAP Rocky, dude is such a below average rapper, he better be thankful as fuck he gets such great beats to babble over.

Saigon's Greatest Story Never Told on play now... I like it I think but it's nothing special IMO. Clap is catchy as hell though. Generally has some fresh rhymes, make that whack ass swizz really stand out. Also love the Black Thought feature. The rest of the year gonna be fun, catching up to stuff I missed.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
yeah he's just Based God with better beats. I can see him being a big success though when he releases a studio debut.
Guessing a studio debut would be poo because it wouldn't have such a cohesive production vision. Also, Drake will likely be all over that motherfucker.

The tape is good, but BLVCKLVND RVDIX 66.6 (1991) is better!

siddx

Saigon's Greatest Story Never Told on play now... I like it I think but it's nothing special IMO. Clap is catchy as hell though. Generally has some fresh rhymes, make that whack ass swizz really stand out. Also love the Black Thought feature. The rest of the year gonna be fun, catching up to stuff I missed.

It's just too little too late. If it had came out when it was supposed to it might have been decent, but at this point nobody gives a fuck.

Recon

Banned
It is done. Mixing and waiting on a feature.

A Backpack & A Dream:
1.From The Heart (Intro)
2.Hospice (feat. Holly Bernt)
3.A Backpack & A Dream
4.1,095 Days Ago
5.Three Years Ago
6.Dark Days
7.I Love YOu (feat. Siddx)
8.Close To The End
9.The End
*Bonus*
10.Meaningless