• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Cole, I can see. I can feel Cole tugging but it doesn't come as natural as it did for Blu on BTH. To me, at least.

Today's Drake? Not at all. What I hear is someone who is confused on his identity (Blu & even J. Cole are never confused on their identity, but how they are identified within the world) and deflects that onto his music.

That probably makes no sense, but I will say that I heard some of what you're talking about on his older shit. Not on Take Care (or Thank Me Later), though. The last song I identify it with is

I guess my initial post should have read "I don't hear a trace of it left in Drake's music"

I agree. I especially loved HFC.

We don't know the FULL circumstances, and probably never will. So as far as I'm concerned, I still patiently wait for BTH2. I talked to Blu & Exile at Rock The Bells and they said they're working hard for it.

I say Drake knows exactly who he is with Take Care. He even said Take Care was the record he wanted Thank Me Later to be. He knows he makes songs for strippers to cry to. It is his lane and he feels comfortable within it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I say Drake knows exactly who he is with Take Care. He even said Take Care was the record he wanted Thank Me Later to be. He knows he makes songs for strippers to cry to. It is his lane and he feels comfortable within it.
Oh, okay. Well if that's the case I never want to hear a song like Headlines again.

mooooose

Headlines is an awesome song. Drake is a terrible rapper. His new lane is perfect. You trippin.

Headlines, She Will, Marvin's Room, I'm On One > Anything else Drake has done

Recon

Banned
Headlines is an awesome song. Drake is a terrible rapper. His new lane is perfect. You trippin.

I fucking love Marvins Room. Only because i have been in that position before. But you are right, he isnt really 100% a rapper anymore. Im ok with that. He was never a great one to begin with.

Tokubetsu

Take Care, is a great album. Some earlier gaf-hoppers will tell you, I was as big a drake hater as they get, but I fucking love Take Care. It's what TML shoulda been. A really good spot for him.

mooooose

Drake took that Frank Ocean/The Weeknd and even ASAP Rocky/Bone Thugs esque lane and spinned it his own way and did it the best he could. AND he gave the right guys their shine. AND the album is good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm sorry, I just don't get how men can dig Drake songs, to be honest. He unapologetically makes music for women. He admits it, we all know it. How are you enjoying this stuff?

Not trying to act all hard or whatever, if you like it, cool. But it's like Lady Gaga. I just don't fucking get it.

I gave the album a 6.5 when it came out, but now...I think it's a 7 maybe 7.5. It's not bad, and has some dope songs. But there are some really dumb tracks on there too.

Recon

Banned
I'm sorry, I just don't get how men can dig Drake songs, to be honest. He unapologetically makes music for women. He admits it, we all know it. How are you enjoying this stuff?

Not trying to act all hard or whatever, if you like it, cool. But it's like Lady Gaga. I just don't fucking get it.

Lol. Really? Guys cannot like RnB? Because that is what you are saying. He also doesn't make songs for women, he makes songs about women.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*

It's all about knowing that feel.

I know that feel, bro.

iavi

Women pretend that they're getting sung to. Men pretend that they're the ones singing. Surrogate experiences all around.

Yeah. It is. I was expecting to hate it. I still play it regularly. But i put it more in line with The Weeknd's genre, not really Hip-hop.
SMH......I'll bet you if a track like this pops up now, it would be consider"HIPSTER", "TECHNO" or the worst, "NOT REAL HIP-HOP"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_vLzsG2TCU

I'll bet you this track (Popular on B-Boy circles)is "NOT real HIP-HOP" to you, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbioXa2Qu4

Shit, most of the earlier hip-hop breaks won't even past now with this generation of elitist pricks. If you want something depressing and shit, Joe Budden and Grunge is that way-------->

Recon

Banned
SMH......I'll bet you if a track like this pops up now, it would be consider"HIPSTER", "TECHNO" or the worst, "NOT REAL HIP-HOP"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_vLzsG2TCU

I'll bet you this track (Popular on B-Boy circles)is "NOT real HIP-HOP" to you, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbioXa2Qu4

Shit, most of the earlier hip-hop breaks won't even past now with this generation of elitist pricks. If you want something depressing and shit, Joe Budden and Grunge is that way-------->

Who pissed in your cereal, jack ass. Saying Drake is a mix of genres isnt controversial. He isnt just hip-hop anymore. Nothing elitist about what i said, so you can fuck off with that shit.

DominoKid

I'm starting to believe this. Basically, BTH was not only a modern classic it in many ways influenced a lot of the shit we're hearing today - from Cole to Drake. And while I definitely really liked the Johnson & Johnson album and HFC, Blu hasn't come close to where he was on BTH. I don't believe he was being propped up by Exile. I think he's so far left right now, and so doped up that he's made a series of bad decisions. From the ridiculous lo-fi sound/lack of mastering on his vocals, to this electro phase he's going through.

His verses on the last Roots album were dope, I definitely think he could have done something decent on Undun. If I had to bet I'd say he turned in some lazy flow shit, probably recorded while high, and Questlove vetoed that shit. And you can't blame him, he clearly thinks Undun is his magnum opus or something.

I think Blu is done. He had so much potential too. Great rapper, very attractive (pause), connections to Dilla and Madlib, etc. And while I didn't expect or want him to drop some mainstream-ish product, I at least thought he'd live up to his potential on the humble. Instead he's pretty...irrelevant. 13k followers on twitter, as a west coast rapper who used to have blogs and other rappers singing his praise? smh

personally i think Herfavoritecolor >>>> anything he's ever done.

you may have saw it when i posted it earlier, but
the story with the Undun verse was this

which led to Phonte tweeting "Stick to the script, nigga. Fuck your improv. #undun"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lol. Really? Guys cannot like RnB? Because that is what you are saying. He also doesn't make songs for women, he makes songs about women.

I dunno. To be honest, unless your name is Anthony Hamilton or Marvin Gaye, I only really tolerate RnB. I don't really throw on RnB records. Maybe that's it. I just don't really dig RnB. Hence, no love for Drake.

Recon

Banned
I dunno. To be honest, unless your name is Anthony Hamilton or Marvin Gaye, I only really tolerate RnB. I don't really throw on RnB records. Maybe that's it. I just don't really dig RnB. Hence, no love for Drake.

Probably what it is then. It just isnt your thing anymore. I dont fuck with much rock anymore, so i understand what it feels like to drift from a genre.

Who pissed in your cereal, jack ass. Saying Drake is a mix of genres isnt controversial. He isnt just hip-hop anymore. Nothing elitist about what i said, so you can fuck off with that shit.
You have no idea what you're talking, poser. Hip-Hop always been a "mixed" genre idiot.

HiResDes

The weird thing is that the stuff Shinobi posted has absolutely nothing in common with Drake, who has evolved into a sort of pseudo-R&B, downtempo rap-singer. Hip-Hop definitely encompasses a myriad of genres, but when your sound is 60/40 R&B to Hip-Hop, then I don't think it's out of the question to consider it one or the other.

Tokubetsu

Btw, for gaming gaf-hoppers out there, I got a triple. Tokubetsu on PSN. I only own Infamous 2 and Resistance 3 and no headset so yea, don't hate.

Recon

Banned
The weird thing is that the stuff Shinobi posted has absolutely nothing in common in Drake, whose evolved into a sort of pseudo-R&B, downtempo rap-singer.

Thats what i was thinking. I wasnt being elitist. I have always championed calling everything hip-hop, no matter how much i think it sucks; Gucci/Flocka, etc. Drake just isnt strictly a rapper anymore. He moved on to something else.

Btw, for gaming gaf-hoppers out there, I got a triple. Tokubetsu on PSN. I only own Infamous 2 and Resistance 3 and no headset so yea, don't hate.

I gotcha

and did I ever say I love Gaf-hop? Yall crack me up so much and I listened to so many albums this year that I never would of if I never got accepted here

Recon

Banned
I gotcha

and did I ever say I love Gaf-hop? Yall crack me up so much and I listened to so many albums this year that I never would of if I never got accepted here

This. I lurked for a good while before i even posted in here. I got linked to a lot of dope music.

GamerSoul

This. I lurked for a good while before i even posted in here. I got linked to a lot of dope music.

Yep, yep. I still lurk sometimes because my Hiphop IQ is shameful. lol. But I'm forever greatful for all the artist I took a chance on after seeing them talked about here. Kendrick and Black Hippy, KRIT, CunningL,Yela are the big ones. This place is usually ahead of the curve. I remember telling a fellow employee whose into hiphop about KRIT and he didn't know about him but I did because of Gaf. He comes to me like a month later and tells me KRIT is the truth lol.

Tokubetsu

UC2 is cool (Nepal! God damn!) but the shooting was awful. I'm a bit of a shooting connoisseur, thats my bread and butter genre of games. I can say that and UC2's isn't satisfying at all (along with being very inaccurate...especially vs. the A.I's accuracy on Normal+). Also, bullet sponge is the shittest/poorest facet of game design this side of copy pasting level design. The entire third act of UC2 is a chore because the enemies are just a pain in the ass to deal with because they take all your fucking ammunition to kill.

the best console third person shooters THIS gen are: Gears series (gameplay-wise I mean), Shadows of the Damned and Vanquish.

Shadows got the most baller soundtrack ever, got dat signature copy (you too Toku huh?)

UC2 is cool (Nepal! God damn!) but the shooting was awful. I'm a bit of a shooting connoisseur, thats my bread and butter genre of games. I can say that and UC2's isn't satisfying at all (along with being very inaccurate...especially vs. the A.I's accuracy on Normal+). Also, bullet sponge is the shittest/poorest facet of game design this side of copy pasting level design. The entire third act of UC2 is a chore because the enemies are just a pain in the ass to deal with because they take all your fucking ammunition to kill.

how you liking Resistence 3? was thinking of picking that up.

ehh feel like shit. but whatever, I'll recover soon.

all I can say is hip hop music is bad for my health.
You don't truly mean that :(

Recon

Banned
Holy shit. Just got done listening to A Sucker For Pumps for like the 10th time today. Her Theme Song has been on constant repeat. Fuck yall for never mentioning this release.

Just kidding, i know its been recommended a lot in here

Are you talking about the
blue guys
?

Just use the cross bow things they drop and they go down in a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom