• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Rocky came up through the web too, don't kid yourself. The power of the web >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NYC

Recon

Banned
Lil B came up through the web. Rocky came up through the NYC underground. Two totally different influences.

The NYC underground is one of the biggest scenes in the states currently. This is why Rocky is hot.

No, lol. The internet crushes any underground scene.

Lil B came up through the web. Rocky came up through the NYC underground. Two totally different influences.

The NYC underground is one of the biggest scenes in the states currently. This is why Rocky is hot.
There is no "NYC" Underground, lol. There's no venues!

mooooose

There is barely an underground in NYC and Brooklyn shows barely help you gain a buzz really. He blew up thanks to Purple Swag and Peso.

Edit - Rocky is as good as Q on Brand New Guy but Q does have the hardest verse on the album... probably one of the best this year for me.

HiResDes

There is barely an underground in NYC and Brooklyn shows barely help you gain a buzz really. He blew up thanks to Purple Swag and Peso.

Edit - Rocky is as good as Q on Brand New Guy but Q does have the hardest verse on the album... probably one of the best this year for me.

We'll just agree to disagree. When Schoolboy Q comes on is when the song really shows its potential.

As for southern rap suggestions: What Lambtron said, also Eightball & MJG, and Scarface

Jay Sosa

since when do ny crowds appreciate southern rap? especially in the underground?

didnt they boo even krit?

classic southern rap:

tela
geto boys
zro
ugk
master p/ no limit
old cmr
8ball
suc
list goes on and on, you need to be abit more specific

and asap better than q? come on, i like the dude but hes a swag rapper with a bit more talent than lil b. production makes his music what it is..

Macca

Goddammit Yelawolf:

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 11/20/2011
#4. Drake - Take Care - 90,000 (894,000)

#6. Mary J. Blige - My Life II: The Journey Continues 72,000 (228,000)

#7. Rihanna - Talk That Talk - 68,000 (266,000)

#22. Trey Songz - Inevitable - 27,000 (27,000)

#24. LMFAO - Sorry For Party Rocking - 26,000 (332,000)

#28. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV - 23,000 (1,776,000)

#54. Wale - Ambition - 14,000 (269,000)

#57. Yelawolf - Radioactive - 12,000 (53,000)

#79. Mac Miller - Blue Slide Park - 9,100 (194,000)

#148. Jet Life - Jet World Order - 4,200 (4,200)
Yela has been on a couple of the late night shows, when Let's Roll drops hopefully things pick up a little bit. But damn, not good numbers.

SoilBreak

Banned
UGK. Always.

We'll just agree to disagree. When Schoolboy Q comes on is when the song really shows its potential.

As for southern rap suggestions: What Lambtron said, also Eightball & MJG, and Scarface

classic southern rap:

tela
geto boys
zro
ugk
master p/ no limit
old cmr
8ball
suc

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

List goes on and on, you need to be abit more specific

Stuff that sounds similar to this

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You listen to Hip-Hop music, and you can't take jokes? OH LAWD! HAV MERCY!
This same dude went on and on about how everyone who liked that last Burial album was a poser and were totally wrong and it sucked. So I'm not too shocked!

A few more southern recommendations: Three 6 Maifa is a must, and I'm pretty partial to Project Pat's solo work specifically. He's newer but Slim Thug has a pretty classic old school southern sound on most of his albums. I really like the first Paul Wall album, it has some killer shit on it. Everything Scarface has done is worth listening to. Eightball & MJG definitely rule, too.

coldvein

Banned
Goddammit Yelawolf:

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 11/20/2011
#4. Drake - Take Care - 90,000 (894,000)

#6. Mary J. Blige - My Life II: The Journey Continues 72,000 (228,000)

#7. Rihanna - Talk That Talk - 68,000 (266,000)

#22. Trey Songz - Inevitable - 27,000 (27,000)

#24. LMFAO - Sorry For Party Rocking - 26,000 (332,000)

#28. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter IV - 23,000 (1,776,000)

#54. Wale - Ambition - 14,000 (269,000)

#57. Yelawolf - Radioactive - 12,000 (53,000)

#79. Mac Miller - Blue Slide Park - 9,100 (194,000)

#148. Jet Life - Jet World Order - 4,200 (4,200)

where can i see a complete list?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Damn I feel so ashamed for not mentioning Devin, oh shit guys what about Goodie Mob and Crooked Lettaz

Ashamed it took so long for a Goodie Mob rec. Soul Food and Still Standing are must haves.

DominoKid

Smoking Sessions w/ ASAP Rocky

TSS is one of the better rap blogs out there and they usually have good interviews so check it out.

sn: i'm rather impressed w/ how TSS has navigated the evolution of the rap blogosphere. i've been reading them since 07 and the way they operate was unbelievably different back then.

Jay Sosa

Damn I feel so ashamed for not mentioning Devin, oh shit guys what about Goodie Mob and Crooked Lettaz

yeah me too..love crooked lettaz especially grey skies.

also forgot face and all the other rapalot artists. his first my homies album has insanely good production.
bushwick bills phantom of the rapra is a cetified classics

outkast as well

some newer not so well no artists/groups that you might like

pookie
lucci
yo gotti
slim thug
old lil flip (undagriund legend is one of my favorite southern records)
chamillionaire
mike jones
guerilla maab/abn
lil keke
fat pat
big mike
pastor troy
c note
trae
zro
lil o
froze ony
bohagon

and so on and so forth

edit the track you posted sounds rather westcoasty, so be sure to listen to some quik, also all the other suave house stuff(like old tela)

Recon

Banned
yeah me too..love crooked lettaz especially grey skies.

also forgot face and all the other rapalot artists. his first my homies album has insanely good production.
bushwick bills phantom of the rapra is a cetified classics

outkast as well

some newer not so well no artists/groups that you might like

pookie
lucci
yo gotti
slim thug
old lil flip (undagriund legend is one of my favorite southern records)
chamillionaire
mike jones
guerilla maab/abn
lil keke
fat pat
big mike
pastor troy
c note
trae
zro
lil o
froze ony
bohagon

and so on and so forth

Underground Legend is such an underrated southern release. That and Chamillionaire/Paul Wall collab albums are so good.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Add Bubba Sparxxx too. I know a few here say that his first two album are really good. Though I haven't listened to him myself.

I thought Deliverance was a good album but it had a fair amount of filler. Still, it's a shame he isn't still around. A Bubba/Yela song could be cool.

overcast

ASAP is definitely better than Lil B, but they are cut from a similar cloth.

Not surprised at Yela's numbers. I would feel bad if he made a decent album.

iavi

In perspective, was Radioactive any worse than Blue Slide Park? I was hoping that Yela would make a dent, but damn...

kamspy

and asap better than q? come on, i like the dude but hes a swag rapper with a bit more talent than lil b. production makes his music what it is..

No comment on ASAP vs Q, but his music is what it is[/]. You can't chalk it all up to the production. Give those beats to Game, Lil B or whatever wack rapper and you'd see a difference. ASAP has the songwriting down. Those songs are very far from verse-hook-verse. They've all got bridges, melodies and all kinds of other nuances. The flow is just one facet of the gem.

Now I'm positive you're clueless. Most Lil B songs don't even have hooks, let alone the coherent song structure on most of LiveLove A$AP. Yall can hate on the flow if it's not your thing, but dude knows how to put a song together with the best of em. There's a reason Sony have em $3 mil.

Recon

Banned
In perspective, was Radioactive any worse than Blue Slide Park? I was hoping that Yela would make a dent, but damn...

It was definitely better than Blue Slide Park. I only gave Millers debut one go, and it wasnt good. Radioactive isnt bad, and it grows on you.

overcast

I didn't listen to it. I assume Radioactive was better? Yeah, he got it bad.
Now I'm positive you're clueless. Most Lil B songs don't even have hooks, let alone the coherent song structure on most of LiveLove A$AP. Yall can hate on the flow if it's not your thing, but dude knows how to put a song together with the best of em. There's a reason Sony have em $3 mil.
I'm clueless? ASAP is the definition of an average rapper, who is made solid based the terrific production he receives. I didn't say they are the same, but they have some similarities. ASAP is a lot more talented than Lil B of course.

kamspy

Your logic makes Canibus the most successful rapper of all time.

Songs > flows over beats with hooks inbetween
Song writing >> flowing

overcast

ASAP is that good of a song writer? Really? I never said flow > songwriting either.

He's just an average rapper overall imo. Doesn't mean I won't ever listen to him, but he really isn't that special.

iavi

I think Kam is trying to say that a good song structure > the actual content and it's delivery...in ways, though I don't exactly see how you can separate delivery from structure.

It was definitely better than Blue Slide Park. I only gave Millers debut one go, and it wasnt good. Radioactive isnt bad, and it grows on you.

Yeah, Radioactive grew on me too. I still think it falls apart after the skit, but not as bad.

All this talk of Lil B and ASAP Rocky... I'm really out of touch with this shit, they're phantoms to me.

Any good instrumental albums out this year btw? I only know of Chinoiseries Pt. II and Spiritual State.

kamspy

OK, first off, if the time stamp on my post if after 3:00PM on a weekday, or anytime on a weekend, I'm high. Nothing new there.

Listen to the record again. How many of the tracks are just verse-hook-verse?

Now, whether or not you like the content is another thing entirely. Personally, it sounds like me and dude have the same CD book. I love all the influences, so it works for me.

JackEtc

People Under The Stairs said:
Highlighter is finally coming to itunes! A special EP kicks it off with Instrumentals (yes Instros!) and also the unreleased track from promo video #1. Play like Alpha Beta and tell a friend!! ps... we are doing secret free shows in the midwest right now. Got an axe to grind so the girls can talk.

iTunes Link

I already have the album, but DAMN that Fishbucket Soundchck track sounds hot.

I hope they put out all the other instrumentals eventually.

Jay Sosa

i have to agree with kam somewhat. i still think the beat selection plays the most important to mask weaknesses or make a bad rapper enyoable(not talkin asap but rather birdman or mannie fresh) but yeah you still have to have some idea about structure and skills to make it a good song. btw i was comparing him to im gay lil b not that early horrible repulsive and awful lil b when he was just talking incoherent gibberish most of the time.

Dunno about hailing the song writing of a swag rapper, but ASAP definitely knows how to bob and weave through a beat with impressive melody and touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom