• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Gaf-Hop, I've settled on four albums that are definitely going to place in my top ten. In no particular order atm:

Zeroh - Awful Alterations
Danny Brown - XXX
Thurz - LA Riot
The Throne - WTT

I've got a few more releases to hear still: Common, Undun, etc. And a few more to refresh on/ give more time: Spiritual State, A Sucker for Pumps, Oneirology. All in all though, I am realizing just how good this year was for hip-hop.

E: on another note, I just got a gaf ad for Goblin.
This year didn't have a standout to me. Maybe it's just my tastes, but the past 2 years there's been one album I really loved. It makes shit hard.

2009: MotM1
2010: Sir Lucious.

iavi

This year didn't have a standout to me. Maybe it's just my tastes, but the past 2 years there's been one album I really loved. It makes shit hard.

2009: MotM1
2010: Sir Lucious.

I can imagine. Myself, I'm not a big Cudi guy, and I've... yet to check on Sir Luscious, now that you remind me. I should get on that one.

Macca

I can imagine. Myself, I'm not a big Cudi guy, and I've... yet to check on Sir Luscious, now that you remind me. I should get on that one.
I think for end of year awards we really need a "Album from the past that you finally got around to listening to" award.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My Top Ten for the year.
top to bottom obviously.

i7hfUJUPQhEhm.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
No Section 80....(scoffs) :p

I will admit, it did grow on me. I hated that ish when I first heard it, but I gave it a spin a month or two later and something clicked. I don't like the whole album (thus why it's not in my top 10), but if I were to make an Honorary Mentions category...

i9TQQnXJjC77o.jpg

iavi

Good lord, that State of Grace cover art is still the hottest shit ever. The album is pretty hot too, but I'll need to give it a refresh before I can say if its top ten material.

cdyhybrid

I liked MBDTF a lot. It's hard for me to rank it when comparing with CD or LR because I don't really look at them the same. With CD and LR I kinda grew fonder of the albums the more I listened to them, whereas with MBDTF I was following the hype machine, and the first time I heard it, it blew my mind. My reaction to it has kinda dulled with repeated listens since then, but it still brings me back to that first listen.

I will say that CD holds a special place in my heart because of what was going on in life when I first heard it (and I just think it's his best album, period).

Edit: Whoa, I must have been on the wrong page, because the MBDTF discussion certainly wasn't on this one. I'm gonna blame the booze. But yeah, unsolicited opinion I guess. Feel free to ignore since that's not the current topic :p

kamspy

So, I know HiRes has done the AOTY threads in the past. One night when I was feeling extra outgoing I said I wanted to tackle this year, but honestly, I'm not good enough to do it justice when we've got Macca and HRD around. So I'm offering up whatever dibs I had on making the thread.

I would like to bounce some categories around.

-AOTY (retail or mixtape, no restrictions. it's 2011)

-Rookie of the Year (we still need a way to quantify this, there's "that guy" who's all "I was this guys friend on myspapce in 02!"

-Man of the Year (basically hardest working guy in hip hop)

-Producer of the Year (Drumma Boy)

-Duet of the Year (we've had so many, it can easily get it's own category)

-Best beats on an album (maybe not AOTY, but the album with the best beats)

- Biggest Fail

-Beat jacked the hardest (who's beat got pounded the hardest by some strange?)

-Best Feature

-Best Art

ideas? takers?

Looks good to me, I'll fill mine out soon (sooner than my album list). Anyone who doesn't pick Action Bronson as their ROTY can't be taken seriously

njean777

Guys/gals is "Daily Bread" any good I like what I am hearing from the itunes samples but dont know if I should bite just yet...

You know, I was more than ready to hand Man Of The Year to Curren$y...but Kampsy brings up a good point. Spitta released a bunch of dope shit this year and never let his foot off the gas, there's no question. But Bronson went from being a fat white rapper no one knew about outside of NY to being That Dude. He went from working with underground posse producers to having some of the best producers in hip hop begging to work with him.

He went from making cooking videos on youtube to being on the Food Network with Anthony Bourdain. Therefore I change my vote, Bronson for the double crown.

iavi

I would like to bounce some categories around.

-AOTY (retail or mixtape, no restrictions. it's 2011)

-Rookie of the Year (we still need a way to quantify this, there's "that guy" who's all "I was this guys friend on myspapce in 02!"

-Man of the Year (basically hardest working guy in hip hop)

-Producer of the Year (Drumma Boy)

-Duet of the Year (we've had so many, it can easily get it's own category)

-Best beats on an album (maybe not AOTY, but the album with the best beats)

- Biggest Fail

-Beat jacked the hardest (who's beat got pounded the hardest by some strange?)

-Best Feature

-Best Art

ideas? takers?

I dig all of these.

I'd add

From out of fucking nowhere (Sleeper hit album/artist of the year--could be the AOTY, or not. And I mean like from zero hype to a million A.K.A The Weeknd)

And at Macca's suggestion:

Retro redux (AOTY of last year, again. Once the all the hype/ recency bias has long faded.)

---

Bronson gets my vote for man of the year too. Currensy would get it, but he's been doing a bunch of samey sounding tapes for a second now, and MCC is MCC Forever. He might actually take my vote for AOTY with Covert Coup though, so shit works out.

Guys/gals is "Daily Bread" any good I like what I am hearing from the itunes samples but dont know if I should bite just yet...

Yes, it's very good. I can see some people not liking Mackey's flow, and the beats feature samples chopped in ways that might seem repetitive. But I really like it.

I forgot who posted it but this needs to be said again. V nasty on that cover....

tumblr_ls3zzr8SMd1qjncsyo2_400.jpg

not going near that one. The only Gucci tape I enjoyed was Diplo's remix album. Well I haven't heard much but I can tell I'm probably not gonna be a fan.

CRS

Ew. Plug that leak, please.

Also, Big K.R.I.T. for hardest working if he releases that album full of unreleased material this year. Return of 4eva on top of all the releases and production he's done this year? Come on, what else do you want. He featured on a Roots' album which I think carries more weight than a Wu feature.

PBY

Banned
Fuck Ferrari Boyz and WTT- BAYTL is the collabo album of the year.

edit: whoah... this shit actually FUCKING BUMPS.

njean777

Also, Big K.R.I.T. for hardest working if he releases that album full of unreleased material this year. Return of 4eva on top of all the releases and production he's done this year? Come on, what else do you want. He featured on a Roots' album which I think carries more weight than a Wu feature.

I would say so, The Roots seem to be the upper echelon of underground lovers. So to be a guest on their album is probably an honor for most.

Edit: I barley have touched most of The Roots discography but I must say "Undun" is a excellent album, and so is "Things Fall Down". I need to re-listen to "illadelph half-life" and 'How I got Over". I probably should listen to all their other stuff, but damn that is a lot of music.

iavi

We should probably do the sections like Hardest Working/Highest returns (Qua.... Nah, fuck. You're right. K.R.I.T takes this one easily. I had forgot all about the monster production work he's been doing all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom