• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

I'm not even sure what my ringtones are anymore because no one ever calls me anymore. I hear my text alert about a zillion times a day though.

i'm tired of it because i've had it since motm2 came out but every time i change it i miss hearing it like 2 days later.

My alarms are Illest Motherfucker Alive (MWF), Time Machine big krit (T/TR), NFL on Fox theme (weekend)

coldvein said:
i'm bummed that i tried to start a dead prez conversation and siddx got us talking on ringtones. damn you, siddx!

there's no substance to what Dead Prez say, and that track was a perfect example.

Is this a good Dead Prez conversation yet?

I tire of songs far too quickly to ever go back to putting them as ringtones. But when I did, I chose the loudest, most vulgar sections just for the looks. Dead Wrong going off in public places was always a fun one

But now, MGS codec ring or vibrate.

coldvein

Banned
why people, why!

edit: no disrespect to anybody who hates dead prez or the track i posted, just.. tell me more. i'm curious.

siddx said:
Before I head to bed I'll leave this question for hip hop gaf, what do you all have for ringtones? I had various atmosphere songs (what a shock) for a long time as well as (embarrassingly) my own songs. Now I just keep it simple with Tribe's "buggin out". I may need to change it though as I find myself letting it play just to rap along to it and end up missing the call lol
Basic ringtones. I don't want to forcible make people hear my music.

When I worked for the V.A. Hospital I would screen potential workers. My boss said if I call them back and they have music play to just hang up on them. Lol. Out of 20 apps we only got 2-4 people called in for the interview.

coldvein

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Basic ringtones. I don't want to forcible make people hear my music.

When I worked for the V.A. Hospital I would screen potential workers. My boss said if I call them back and they have music play to just hang up on them. Lol. Out of 20 apps we only got 2-4 people called in for the interview.

hahaha. i'm pretty sure the default "ringback" on most verizon phones is some cheeseball classical music,,.

CRS

I use Bone Thugs' 1st of the Month as my alarm clock. Best use of the song.

Haven't had an actual ringtone in forever though. Just use my phone's default.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
Before I head to bed I'll leave this question for hip hop gaf, what do you all have for ringtones? I had various atmosphere songs (what a shock) for a long time as well as (embarrassingly) my own songs. Now I just keep it simple with Tribe's "buggin out". I may need to change it though as I find myself letting it play just to rap along to it and end up missing the call lol

Ringtone: A bit of this instrumental and the chorus.
Text alert: An instrumental version/bit of Guillotine.

Haha just noticed something about Banks' "we fuckin"

I kill em in the worst way
Drill em on the first day
Mommy says she shoot
I'mma hit it til she squirt, hey!

Brian pumper subliminal?!

brian_pumpermontana_fishburne.jpg

overcast

That track Trilla off ASAP's mixtape is dope, that and the Schoolboy track may be my favorite part.

I need an Ipod classic so badly. I wanna bump all of this new music when my friend visits for the holiday. Need to get a fucking job.

abuC

overcast said:
That track Trilla off ASAP's mixtape is dope, that and the Schoolboy track may be my favorite part.

I need an Ipod classic so badly. I wanna bump all of this new music when my friend visits for the holiday. Need to get a fucking job.

I like the "Demons" track, production on it is fire.

overcast

abuC said:
I like the "Demons" track, production on it is fire.
I've only listened to the mixtape once. Actually that track is great. Different sound then what he typically raps about.

Overall, I actually quite like the tape. I was ready to mark it off as overhyped, but it's solid.

JackEtc

Oldschoolgamer said:
Common - Sweet

"Come around my crib. You know where I'm from. Yall some hoe ass n****s. Singing all around here man. La la la. You ain't no mother fucking Frank Sinatra. Lil Bitch."--Common

*dies*

edit: This trash talk is fucking GODLIKE.
Holy shit, this is great.

TheOddOne

LegoArmo said:
Whatever happened to Papoose? I'm still waiting on his album.
After being released from Jive, in which he kept the $1.5 million advance, his album was locked away. I have heard rumours that he is also beefing with Kay Slay, which I doubt.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
After being released from Jive, in which he kept the $1.5 million advance, his album was locked away. I have heard rumours that he is also beefing with Kay Slay, which I doubt.
Kay Slay is near the top of the list of annoying fucking DJs who speak over tracks.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
siddx said:
Interlude II- Kid Cudi
only one i ever liked. its still my current ringtone.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Hey blackace, wheres our WCW track? Dont make me come find you! You know our listening pleasure is more important than silly things like a job and family.

Anyone else feel like Kno should have teamed up with a better mc for Machete Vision?

Love that Bronson feature, a whole album of Kno vs. Action coulda been aoty contender.

Will the OP be updated as Blackace puts out more west coast Wednesdays? I always forget until friday and then it's annoying to find the post so it would be awesome if they're always updated in OP as they come out.

siddx said:

Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)

I feel like Pac after getting out of prison. I've been watching this thread for weeks, waiting, biding my time. And I gotta say, the shits been week. Some days I'd wake up in the middle of the night and check what my brothas were up to, only to be greeted by more Lupe talk, more Wale, more boring mixtapes. Today, people claiming Wu Tang is NOT forever. Fuckouttahere gumps. When Rozay had his seizures nobody made a vigil thread. The boss dropped a modern classic last year and gonna drop another soon, and nobody gave a fuck. He's gonna remember that shit.

Anyway here are some things a brotha learned on his sabbatical

1. Section 80 is the hip hop album of the year

I've had this tape since it came out, listened to it at the time and dug the shit. Nice beats, dude can rap, etc. I guess all the hype kind of soured me on enjoying the feast, nahmean. Like you were fiending to bang some chick for years only to get her in the bed and see she has hair all under her armpits. The nut is still the nut, but you still feel kind of turned off.

But over the last few weeks I've given it more spins and damn, it's pretty much amazing from front to back. The only tracks I'm not feeling all the way are Hol'd Up - just don't like the beat and first lyrics, but it's not a bad song - and that Drake make up song smh. Kendrick is clearly destroying all the new cats right now.

2. Yes, J Cole is overrated

Don't get it twisted, I'm a Cole stan and think Sideling Story is a solid debut. But the more I think about it, so much of the album features corny ass lines and some of his production is lacking. It's obvious dude is serious about hip hop, which makes this stuff more visible imo.

Also lyrically his storytelling is good but the more I listen to Section 80 I can't help but find it a tad underwhelming at times. Keisha's Song is pretty much better than every "boo hoo she was so young" Cole has in his catalog. Lost Ones is a good song but just sounds forced to me. Meanwhile I'd say Never Told is Cole's best song in that manner, and easily the best on the album imo.

Guess I'm just saying right now, Cole isn't delivering classic verses beyond shit talking songs. Dude is still dope as hell, and one of the best young rappers in the game. But the competition is either severely lacking (Drake and his ilk) or above him (Kendrick).

3. Meek Mill dropped a classic song with Ima Boss

Might be the hardest song of the year, best anthem since BMF. Rozay dropped a classic verse on this shit too. "Only cry when babies die" damn.

4. Wale is the saltiest, most delusional black man in America

My bro and I were getting faded when he said "you know, Wale just mad he's a dark nicca. All these light skinned niccas are flossing hard with the ladies and can't rap. Wale got the same swag but isn't going anywhere cuz he's a chocolate eclair ass nicca." I took another sip of the Revana and nodded.

But the next day I was like nah, fuck that. Yes Wale is a dark brotha like me, but let's get something straight: we run shit. Idris Elba is our Obama right now and he can't be fucked with. So I'm not giving Wale a pass there.

So your boy headed to SOHH and picked up Ambition. Just look at the names of the first two tracks: Don't Hold The Applause, Double M Genius. SMH. Dude think he's on Kanye, Cudi, Drake, etc level when he's just a scrub. This album got some great production but dude is just boring, not rhyming, etc. That being said it's got some dope songs: Legendary damn, but Rozay shoulda been on that. Lotus Flower Bomb is my shit; ever got your dick sucked with Miguel singing to you, shit cray. Hell the first tracks are decent, then the middle is full of generic features.

This album gonna bomb and Wale will be back to complaining about people not supporting the god.

5. Common made me want to cry last night

Yall heard that Sweet track right? Seems like the blogs are loving that shit, saying it's harder than gorilla dicks. But your boy listened to that shit and had to stop mid-way. Am I the only one who feels like Lonny went in too much there? This is how my mom felt when she saw Training Day brehs, when she said "Denzel was too bad in that movie, I don't like it. That's not Denzel." Common sounded down right mean on that track, I can't fuck with it. This is a nicca I wanted to drink hot coco with while playing chess near the fireplace FOR YEARS. Just talking about the world and shit. I don't know the man on Sweet.

LegoArmo

TheOddOne said:
Well that sucks, thought he had a lot of promise.

$1.5m... damn.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Most epic return post ever.

I agree about Sweet actually. I still like it but that shit was weird to listen to. In moderation that kind of stuff is good but Common cranked it to 11.

Also Section80, the more I listen to it, the more I make a distinction between great tracks and meh ones. The highs are really high though and that's why ill even consider it for AOTY, it's not really cohesive at all IMO.

overcast

Lol, great post Phoenix. I disagree with you saying Never Told is the best track in the album.
it's definitely one of the weakest 3 for me.

Detox

siddx said:
Hey blackace, wheres our WCW track? Dont make me come find you! You know our listening pleasure is more important than silly things like a job and family.
Yeah, was looking forward to it on my morning commute like the past few weeks.

I listened to The Martyr and a lot of the tracks just sounded like stuff that didn't make it onto his previous albums. Some of the really old ones are hard to listen to because Tech's technique was just terrible then. My favourite track has to be Rich Mans World (1%) I like the satire and I guess it is recent which means his flow is much better. To be honest I would say this is one for the fans it isn't going to convert you if you aren't one. Other tracks I liked:
The Martyr
Civil War - Ft. Killer Mike, Brother Ali & Chuck D
Black Vikings - Ft. Styles P, Vinnie Paz and Poison Pen

overcast said:
Lol, great post Phoenix. I disagree with you saying Never Told is the best track in the album.
it's definitely one of the weakest 3 for me.

Bah, I meant the best emotional track on there. Rise And Shine is prob the best track

........uh man I can't follow that giant essay post. All I can say is:

A$AP Rocky tape is kinda lame aside from the beats, who the fuck is this guy? Oh shit I hear Q, there he go schoolboy there he go, bodies that beat. And then all of a sudden back to this boring guy again.

Brown Milk, this Danny Brown guy is mean. You would never have guessed from his Hood-rat Willow Smith look but he aint bad, Black Milk beats are sweet.

Cold Day in Hell is 187 proof gutter gutter. He dropped straight out of college and majored in midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik but I think he minored in this shit forreal (translation: This is easily his second best mixtape) looking forward to that studio album now.

He should make collabo album (everybody's doing it) with Jay Rock. All Thug, No Hugz

I like angry Common, it's a different sound but at least it's different. Blue Sky was really nice (mostly because of the beat imo) but I'm feeling this more.

oh and also Ab Soul will rise above all of Black Hippy in due time. I think he's lyrically better than Lamar imo and he's being slept on hard.

My favorite member will always be Q though.

overcast

Discotheque said:
A$AP Rocky tape is kinda lame aside from the beats, who the fuck is this guy? Oh shit I hear Q, there he go schoolboy there he go, bodies that beat. And then all of a sudden back to this boring guy again.
Though you're post was solid too, I'll just respond to this. tape is fun to listen to, but ASAP isn't that good a spitter. It's all beats, but it's a nice listen. Schoolboy kills that track, and everything he has released from HnC has been great. Can't wait.

Bah, I meant the best emotional track on there. Rise And Shine is prob the best track
TBH I can see why you are saying he is overrated. His lame lines make me cringe even more, because I know that's not what he's about. I liked the debut a lot, but he's better than doing all these songs for women.

snoozing on the Jet movement, your worst nightmare in the making...

young roddy sounds like a girl but I don't mind him on these tracks. Hold On is really good.

PBY

Banned
Discotheque said:
snoozing on the Jet movement, your worst nightmare in the making...

young roddy sounds like a girl but I don't mind him on these tracks. Hold On is really good.
Doing a group album is the best thing Spitta could have done- I was super burnt out on his stuff, just b/c of how much he put out this year- but the group dynamic is a welcome switch-up.

eh that depends. if he released a pilot talk 3 or another alchemist collab this year I'd still be down for it, but I was not looking forward to Muscle Car Chronicles (who was even producing for that anyways?) so this group album is for the best I suppose

covert coup is still top 5 album of the year for me.

Phoenix your post kills me lmao.

Ima boss song does go hard though. I haven't got to Wale's album yet, but I recall seeing some praise for it earlier. Guess I'll listen to that today.

"This is a nicca I wanted to drink hot coco with while playing chess near the fireplace FOR YEARS"
Discotheque said:
Cold Day in Hell is 187 proof gutter gutter. He dropped straight out of college and majored in midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik but I think he minored in this shit forreal (translation: This is easily his second best mixtape) looking forward to that studio album now.

Yeah, mixtape is really damn good, hope there's no problems with him putting out his album.

TheOddOne

PhoenixDark said:
I feel like Pac after getting out of prison. I've been watching this thread for weeks, waiting, biding my time. And I gotta say, the shits been week. Some days I'd wake up in the middle of the night and check what my brothas were up to, only to be greeted by more Lupe talk, more Wale, more boring mixtapes. Today, people claiming Wu Tang is NOT forever. Fuckouttahere gumps. When Rozay had his seizures nobody made a vigil thread. The boss dropped a modern classic last year and gonna drop another soon, and nobody gave a fuck. He's gonna remember that shit.

Anyway here are some things a brotha learned on his sabbatical

1. Section 80 is the hip hop album of the year

I've had this tape since it came out, listened to it at the time and dug the shit. Nice beats, dude can rap, etc. I guess all the hype kind of soured me on enjoying the feast, nahmean. Like you were fiending to bang some chick for years only to get her in the bed and see she has hair all under her armpits. The nut is still the nut, but you still feel kind of turned off.

But over the last few weeks I've given it more spins and damn, it's pretty much amazing from front to back. The only tracks I'm not feeling all the way are Hol'd Up - just don't like the beat and first lyrics, but it's not a bad song - and that Drake make up song smh. Kendrick is clearly destroying all the new cats right now.
Time did you good.

Welcome back.

JackEtc

overcast said:
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls6yqirO6N1qh9ee3o1_500.jpg[IMG]
Anyone else cringe when they see this?[/QUOTE]
Missed that earlier, but damn I want a poster of that. Wallpaper'd.

PhoenixDark said:
4. Wale is the saltiest, most delusional black man in America

My bro and I were getting faded when he said "you know, Wale just mad he's a dark nicca. All these light skinned niccas are flossing hard with the ladies and can't rap. Wale got the same swag but isn't going anywhere cuz he's a chocolate eclair ass nicca." I took another sip of the Revana and nodded.

But the next day I was like nah, fuck that. Yes Wale is a dark brotha like me, but let's get something straight: we run shit. Idris Elba is our Obama right now and he can't be fucked with. So I'm not giving Wale a pass there.

So your boy headed to SOHH and picked up Ambition. Just look at the names of the first two tracks: Don't Hold The Applause, Double M Genius. SMH. Dude think he's on Kanye, Cudi, Drake, etc level when he's just a scrub. This album got some great production but dude is just boring, not rhyming, etc. That being said it's got some dope songs: Legendary damn, but Rozay shoulda been on that. Lotus Flower Bomb is my shit; ever got your dick sucked with Miguel singing to you, shit cray. Hell the first tracks are decent, then the middle is full of generic features.

This album gonna bomb and Wale will be back to complaining about people not supporting the god.

5. Common made me want to cry last night

Yall heard that Sweet track right? Seems like the blogs are loving that shit, saying it's harder than gorilla dicks. But your boy listened to that shit and had to stop mid-way. Am I the only one who feels like Lonny went in too much there? This is how my mom felt when she saw Training Day brehs, when she said "Denzel was too bad in that movie, I don't like it. That's not Denzel." Common sounded down right mean on that track, I can't fuck with it. This is a nicca I wanted to drink hot coco with while playing chess near the fireplace FOR YEARS. Just talking about the world and shit. I don't know the man on Sweet.
Motherfucker.

I started laughing in class and got weird looks.

kamspy

Section 80 is still in the running for my AOTY...

Liking Ambition more and more everyday. I swear it's like I'm listening to a different rapper than everyone else. He's easily the best technical rapper out of "the new crowd". The album doesn't have a bad song on it IMO. Some of the best cuts on ADD were the girl songs. I think Wale does them as good as anyone in the game right now. I really don't understand anyone who likes Cole World and prefers it to Ambition. Ambition is basically Cole World with 10x more flavor. Plus it's got the most non Luger sounding Lex Luger beat ever. If not for the little Lex sound signature at the beginning I would never have guess it was a Luger beat. Overall production is awesome. People will think I'm trolling, but the Big Sean feature is easily the low point of the album (but it also shows you how far ahead of his peers Wale really is), especially since it came on the Diplo beat. What is GAF's beef with Wale? I mean, if I didn't know better I would expect you guys to like him more than I do. Weird. He's easily the best lyricist of his class (Cole, Sean, Wiz etc), Yela is probably on the same level. Even though I like Yela a lot more than Wale, I think Wale slightly edges him out in the technical aspect. That's saying a lot since I consider Yela a real professional with his craft.

I'm still feeling out ASAP Rocky. I find myself going to it a lot when I open foobar, so that's a good thing. He sounds like Hodgy Beats x Bone Thugs with a little bit of old school 3-6 Mafia and UGK sensibilities (the screwed voices on nearly every cut).

New Tity Boi is his most focused work yet. I'm probably GAF HOPs longest running Tity Boi advocate, but the mixtape is solid as fuck. Most people are gonna pass it up because it's not Jurassic 5 inspired, but you shouldn't.

New Fat Joe mixtape is his final nail in the coffin. I downloaded it expecting raw beats and a reinvigorated Fat Joe and mediocre production.

Jim Jones mixtape is on deck. So much good stuff came out in the last couple days it's hard to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom