• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

overcast said:
I'm 18, so you can't be too much younger. LISTEN TO LIQUID SWORDS AND OB4CL. Just as good as 36 Chambers imo.
You're right, I'm 18 in December.

Was introduced to Wu-Tang freshman year of high school, and only really started getting into Hip-Hop...last year? Sometime around then, so I'm sure there is a lot of must listen to albums that you all know about that I am not aware of, like (apparently) Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

I'll check out both of the albums!

overcast

JackEtc said:
You're right, I'm 18 in December.

Was introduced to Wu-Tang freshman year of high school, and only really started getting into Hip-Hop...last year? Sometime around then, so I'm sure there is a lot of must listen to albums that you all know about that I am not aware of, like (apparently) Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.

I'll check out both of the albums!
You got me beat, cause you're probably still in HS.

I didn't seriously start following rap until late 8th grade. I listened to radio hits 6th-8th. My brother always played rap when I was younger. Bone thugs, Biggie, Nas etc.

When did you others start listening to hip-hop? We can break up another Wu convo this way.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
overcast said:
When did you others start listening to hip-hop? We can break up another Wu convo this way.

When I was 6 years old..

Have an older brother..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even the most hardcore of Cole stans cannot deny some of those corny lines.

I still love dude's music to death though. That and the swearing are the two things he needs to work on moving forward.

Blackace

onemic said:
I tend to overly criticize Meth when he usually doesn't deserve it. I'm just far too used to people saying "I like wu tang!" and all they know is method man, who may be the most popular, but definitely isn't the best of the bunch.

Oh the old "he is popular so he can't be good attack..because people (outside of me) have bad taste."

There is a reason why he is the most popular of a bunch of talented artist, and that is because he is considered by many to be the best.

IMO he is the most talented of the WU..

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Even the most hardcore of Cole stans cannot deny some of those corny lines.

I still love dude's music to death though. That and the swearing are the two things he needs to work on moving forward.
Interesting- you think he should swear less?

JackEtc

overcast said:
You got me beat, cause you're probably still in HS.

I didn't seriously start following rap until late 8th grade. I listened to radio hits 6th-8th. My brother always played rap when I was younger. Bone thugs, Biggie, Nas etc.

Yeah, Senior. Graduating in May, having a lot of fun with College apps right now.

Heh, I try to be like your older brother for one of my little brothers (he's 14, the other is 11 which is too young) by always playing classic stuff (Nas, Mos Def, Wu-Tang, etc) or smaller, lesser known artists (People Under the Stairs, Panacea, Apathy) when driving him places , but he just ends up making me skip forward until Eminem comes on, or something like this:

Brother: What is this? Put on Kanye West or something.
Me: Fine. *Puts on College Dropout*
Brother: "What is this?"
Me: "...Kanye West."
Brother: *Takes iPhone, plays POWER* "There we go, THATS what I meant."
Me: ಠ_ಠ

No hope for him.

PBY

Banned
JackEtc said:
Yeah, Senior. Graduating in May, having a lot of fun with College apps right now.

Heh, I try to be like your older brother for one of my little brothers (he's 14, the other is 11 which is too young) by always playing classic stuff (Nas, Mos Def, Wu-Tang, etc) or smaller, lesser known artists (People Under the Stairs, Panacea, Apathy) when driving him places , but he just ends up making me skip forward until Eminem comes on, or something like this:

No hope for him.
you may not realize this yet... but your brother has more CRAY SWAG than you. Hes gonna grow up to live in a castle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
Interesting- you think he should swear less?
Yeah. I (obviously) have no problem with swearing in rap but sometimes he's trying to say some real shit and just excessively throws fucks or n***as in there, and it kinda takes me out of it. I don't know, maybe it's just me. It's a minor thing though.

Anyways, some of you folk will enjoy this:

Big Sean - Dance (A$$) Remix ft. Nicki Minaj

PBY

Banned

JackEtc

peterb0y said:
you may not realize this yet... but your brother has more CRAY SWAG than you. Hes gonna grow up to live in a castle.
hl4P7.png

Surely you aren't serious.

And ugh, that word. Swag. It's been fucking ruined. My brother will ask me for homework help, I'll explain it, and he'll go "Oh, SWAG! I get it now!" Like, WHAT THE FUCK

The same people that use "swag" around here are the same ones that #fucking #hashtag #everything #for #no #goddamn #reason, and I'd rather not associate myself with them.

Onemic

Blackace said:
Oh the old "he is popular so he can't be good attack..because people (outside of me) have bad taste."

There is a reason why he is the most popular of a bunch of talented artist, and that is because he is considered by many to be the best.

IMO he is the most talented of the WU..

Did I not just put tical in my top 5 Wu albums? I didn't know if he's not number 1 then I think he can't be good.

And most of that popularity is by the mainstream, and even still that's mostly for his work outside his music.(how high especially) the Wu faithful on the other hand generally consider gza/rae to be the best. Meth pretty much never gets mentioned.

IMO he's behind at least 3 other wu dudes before he can take that crown of being the best.

Looks like we got a Wu stalemate!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
JackEtc said:
http://i.imgur.com/hl4P7.png[IMG]

Surely you aren't serious.

And ugh, that word. Swag. It's been fucking ruined. My brother will ask me for homework help, I'll explain it, and he'll go "Oh, SWAG! I get it now!" Like, WHAT THE FUCK

The same people that use "swag" around here are the same ones that #fucking #hashtag #everything #for #no #goddamn #reason, and I'd rather not associate myself with them.[/QUOTE]
don't you like live in the GTA??

coldvein

Banned
the word "swag" is still in it's infancy. give it some time. soon it will be the next "hipster", aka the most overused meaningless word in the english language.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blackace said:
Didn't you post this a long time ago?
Video just came out today. Hence why I said some may enjoy it.

Was finishing up listening to some other stuff but now ima download that shit now and spin it, Peter. :p Ima get back to you.

Onto what I've been listening to:

Zero Heroes - I really enjoyed this more than I thought. 99% of the pleasure is from Pictures on my Wall and to a lesser extent The Last Hero, but I think it's solid and much moreso than Everybody's Nobody. I agree with Recon's sentiments that dude needs something to talk about, or else he's just kind of rhyming about all the shit he has and his flow can't compensate for the fact that others can do that better. +10 points for MvC3 reference on tape.

Deliverance - Been on my list forever, artwork popped up on GAF so I decided I should check this out next. Dude must've sold out heavy after this. I really, really like Nowhere, best song by far. Bubba has all the elements here of a good rapper and some of that raw, hungry Timbo production. Which is a mean combination. The south really isn't my thing as some of you may know so I can't see myself returning to this very often but this shit is probably golden to lovers of southern shit.

Everything Jay Electronica has done thus far - I've been sleeping and trolling from afar. Dude is no joke, Act 1 and it's parts are the things that give you hope for an MC. FFS put out the full version of Dear Moleskine already, I've come to the point where I don't even mind the rough cut between the video audio and the live audio for the version of it I got from EDX's hook up. I mean im nowhere near standom but after filling in the blanks for what I missed, the promise is there. I think the production on some of this shit with the movie samples is sick too, in all it's rawness.

onemic said:
read above posts.
Nah I'm cool

overcast said:
I started listening to hip-hop during highschool.

All the "cool" kids listened to it prior to highschool, and to fit in I tried it out. Raised by my mother who's a fan of soul, 80s pop and softer sounding music in general, I initially hated hip-hop. My cousin loved it and let me hold a few tapes such as De La Soul ones but I didn't "get" it back then.

But then I looked around for different artists. Pac. Dr. Dre. Eazy-E. Bone Thugs. I was west coast based for awhile. (Bone Thugs is West side, stfu!)

Then I happened to listen to The College Dropout when it got released and my mind was blown. I could relate to this, I thought. Then I selfeducated myself in the ways of the East. Wu. Nas. Old school Jay-Z. Etc.

coldvein said:
the word "swag" is still in it's infancy. give it some time. soon it will be the next "hipster", aka the most overused meaningless word in the english language.
is it too late to wear fuck swag shirts or is that hipstery (which I think it might be). shit be confusing.

I've had ASAP Rocky's tape in repeat most of the day, a few meh tracks but the overall impression is good. Everything kind of mushes together in a hazy dream. As a plus I have found tonight that it makes the baby pass out almost immediately. Huh.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GFK was the only one who got a second solo album out of pre-Bobby Digital fuckery RZA.

He'll always have that as leverage, when it comes to album debates.

JackEtc

macuser1of5 said:
is it too late to wear fuck swag shirts or is that hipstery (which I think it might be). shit be confusing.
It's hipstery, and just stupid in general.

On a related note, I want to murder the next person I see wearing one of these shirts. "Herp derp I'm so hip this is a cool saying." It's an old ass internet meme, dumbass.

DominoKid

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr plehboi. Live from Stunna Island its ya boy Birdman here w/ Stupid Macknupid w/ a whole new mixtape for flippin chickens and poppin bottles.

i'm looking around and there's stars as far as the eyes can see. Drizzy Drake Rogers, RAWSE, Juunyah, Kendrick and more. the home Choppa City (roll up to the club in that F150) from Making The Band is on this shit too.

we the motherfuckin business plehboi. cash money young money. ymcmb. hunnid billion hunnid trillion.

we outchea plehboi. imma go rub my hands together and count summa dis money. billionaire minds. holla.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
JackEtc said:
It's hipstery, and just stupid in general.

On a related note, I want to murder the next person I see wearing one of these shirts. "Herp derp I'm so hip this is a cool saying." It's an old ass internet meme, dumbass.
man jack you are so full of hate. you gotta learn to chill and just meh the world. man i wear (almost) skinny jeans. kinda makes your skin crawl don't it.

Blackace

peterb0y said:
^"Hosted by DJ Khaled"... its like the mixtape exists to troll Gaf Hop.

how is that different than his studio albums?

Blackace

onemic said:
Did I not just put tical in my top 5 Wu albums? I didn't know if he's not number 1 then I think he can't be good.

And most of that popularity is by the mainstream, and even still that's mostly for his work outside his music.(how high especially) the Wu faithful on the other hand generally consider gza/rae to be the best. Meth pretty much never gets mentioned.

IMO he's behind at least 3 other wu dudes before he can take that crown of being the best.

Looks like we got a Wu stalemate!

You bolded my statement as if you were doing something...

JackEtc

Complex Shadow said:
man jack you are so full of hate. you gotta learn to chill and just meh the world. man i wear (almost) skinny jeans. kinda makes your skin crawl don't it.
lol, nah man, I could care less about what anyone else wears, to be honest. I mean, you're talking to a dude who went to school like this on Monday. Clearly not giving a fuck

I suppose it's less about the actual shirt in this particular case, and more the stuck-up douchebags (aka the majority) at my school that wear stuff like those shirts that makes me hate them.

coldvein

Banned
nah, i'd say wearing a "fuck swag" shirt is pretty legit. that said, there are probably 3 million people who will call you a hipster for wearing it, because that word can apply to pretty much anyone doing anything. like i eat grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup and ranch. hipster!

overcast

JackEtc said:

No hope for him.
Pretty cool, I didn't apply to colleges because my grades were mediocre. Doing well in CC so far.

It's gonna be hard to reach him at that age, good on you for trying. I influenced my friends a lot actually. That worked pretty damn well.

I honestly agree with you enzo, about Cole swearing less. IDK why but sometimes it's just too much.

coldvein

Banned
macuser1of5 said:
I'll wear it with skinny jeans and fashion hightops for maximum hipster effect

do it.

and for the record i think some variation of the gaf-hop shirt should just say fuck swag on it. unless that shirt has already been made.

overcast

My jeans are currently not skinny enough, you heard me. I don't rock the ball huggers, but I need to slim these down.

I will also admit that my group jokingly started saying things that are terrible words. Bro and Swag were jokes at first.. but now we say them often.

coldvein

Banned
smh.

to clarify, "bro" and "swag" are in totally different categories of ridiculousness. plenty of people say 'bro' in a serious every day conversation kind of manner. swag? not so much..

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Common - Sweet

"Come around my crib. You know where I'm from. Yall some hoe ass n****s. Singing all around here man. La la la. You ain't no mother fucking Frank Sinatra. Lil Bitch."--Common

*dies*

edit: This trash talk is fucking GODLIKE.

overcast

coldvein said:
smh.

to clarify, "bro" and "swag" are in totally different categories of ridiculousness. plenty of people say 'bro' in a serious every day conversation kind of manner. swag? not so much..
Sorry man, it's all in fun. We probably sound like douche bags, but we probably don't look like the type of people to say that.

overcast

Oldschoolgamer said:
Common - Sweet

"Come around my crib. You know where I'm from. Yall some hoe ass n****s. Singing all around here man. La la la. You ain't no mother fucking Frank Sinatra. Lil Bitch."--Common

*dies*

Fuck yes. I want this album.

overcast said:
My jeans are currently not skinny enough, you heard me. I don't rock the ball huggers, but I need to slim these down.

I will also admit that my group jokingly started saying things that are terrible words. Bro and Swag were jokes at first.. but now we say them often.
It's awful, we jokingly started with both a year ago and now it is a fucking curse. I can't go a day with out saying heyyy broo or swag to someone, even though it is a joke. fml.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Common - Sweet

*dies*

Common has my attention for the first time in forever. This album better not disappoint.

CRS

peterb0y said:
You trolling haha?
Every duo that I posted beats Kanye & Jay-Z's effort. Maybe WTT hasn't clicked with me yet, but I found it to be average. I'll give it a few more spins when I have time for it.

I still have a fuck ton of tapes to listen to. Did anyone else go through the tapes posted on 2dope's Mixtape Monday post?

Have them downloaded on top of the ones posted here and ready to go home and give them a listen.

overcast

macuser1of5 said:
It's awful, we jokingly started with both a year ago and now it is a fucking curse. I can't go a day with out saying heyyy broo or swag to someone, even though it is a joke. fml.
Holy shit, I say "heyyy bro" all the time. It's terrible. I'm sure when people hear me talking like that they think I'm a twat.

coldvein

Banned
macuser1of5 said:

so wrong! people been saying "bro" since at least the sixties... "swag"? most people don't even have a concept of what that word means. and yes, i'm one of those people.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Common - Sweet

*dies*

oh my. this is good shit. no id can make some hard shit.

coldvein said:
so wrong! people been saying "bro" since at least the sixties... "swag"? most people don't even have a concept of what that word means.
Oh I know, I'm just saying it has become this terrible metajoke scourge in our circle and yeah, we probably look like complete and utter twats to anyone around us.

Onemic

Blackace said:
You bolded my statement as if you were doing something...

You said he was popular because he was the best among other things. I said it was because the mainstream who relate more to his projects outside of music comprise the bulk of that popularity, hence the bolded part. Sorry for trying to make the structure of my post easier for you to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom