• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

I listened to a few tracks off Ambition, reallllyy bored by it. It's not bad by any means, but idk I don't like it too much. I loved a few of Wale's mixtapes, but this album screams meh to me. I'll listen to the whole thing, I just got sidetracked.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
overcast said:
I listened to a few tracks off Ambition, reallllyy bored by it. It's not bad by any means, but idk I don't like it too much. I loved a few of Wale's mixtapes, but this album screams meh to me. I'll listen to the whole thing, I just got sidetracked.

It's a background noise album. You get lost in whatever you're doing and somehow the album has already started back from it's first track without you ever noticing a change over.

DominoKid

4hbLN.jpg

yessssssss yesssssssss YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

kamspy said:
Liking Ambition more and more everyday. I swear it's like I'm listening to a different rapper than everyone else. He's easily the best technical rapper out of "the new crowd". The album doesn't have a bad song on it IMO. Some of the best cuts on ADD were the girl songs. I think Wale does them as good as anyone in the game right now. I really don't understand anyone who likes Cole World and prefers it to Ambition. Ambition is basically Cole World with 10x more flavor. Plus it's got the most non Luger sounding Lex Luger beat ever. If not for the little Lex sound signature at the beginning I would never have guess it was a Luger beat. Overall production is awesome. People will think I'm trolling, but the Big Sean feature is easily the low point of the album (but it also shows you how far ahead of his peers Wale really is), especially since it came on the Diplo beat. What is GAF's beef with Wale? I mean, if I didn't know better I would expect you guys to like him more than I do. Weird. He's easily the best lyricist of his class (Cole, Sean, Wiz etc), Yela is probably on the same level. Even though I like Yela a lot more than Wale, I think Wale slightly edges him out in the technical aspect. That's saying a lot since I consider Yela a real professional with his craft.

I'm a Wale fan but a lot of the reason people dont like him is because he's a bitch. Not in the sense of just being weak but he just whines a lot on Twitter & his interviews and his music wasnt good enough for him to get away with it. He's cut back on his bitching and his music is better (i credit Ross for this) now so that's probably why the public is responding to him better.

overcast

wenis said:
It's a background noise album. You get lost in whatever you're doing and somehow the album has already started back from it's first track without you ever noticing a change over.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Wale is like J Cole for me, just bringing nothing new to the table. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about them, which is kind of worse than being an artist that makes me feel strongly negative, at least then they have my attention.

Rap is like sex, I've experienced enough of it that you either have to be really different or really bad for me to remember you at all. Anything in between is going to be enjoyed for the moment and then im going to struggle to remember your name later down the line.

Esch

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
4. Wale is the saltiest, most delusional black man in America

My bro and I were getting faded when he said "you know, Wale just mad he's a dark nicca. All these light skinned niccas are flossing hard with the ladies and can't rap. Wale got the same swag but isn't going anywhere cuz he's a chocolate eclair ass nicca." I took another sip of the Revana and nodded.

But the next day I was like nah, fuck that. Yes Wale is a dark brotha like me, but let's get something straight: we run shit. Idris Elba is our Obama right now and he can't be fucked with. So I'm not giving Wale a pass there.

So your boy headed to SOHH and picked up Ambition. Just look at the names of the first two tracks: Don't Hold The Applause, Double M Genius. SMH. Dude think he's on Kanye, Cudi, Drake, etc level when he's just a scrub. This album got some great production but dude is just boring, not rhyming, etc. That being said it's got some dope songs: Legendary damn, but Rozay shoulda been on that. Lotus Flower Bomb is my shit; ever got your dick sucked with Miguel singing to you, shit cray. Hell the first tracks are decent, then the middle is full of generic features.

This album gonna bomb and Wale will be back to complaining about people not supporting the god.
Welcome back, and thanks for echoing my sentiments.

Wale ain't shit and never really was.

again with the dark skinned/light skinned shit again, perfect return to form

TheOddOne

PhoenixDark said:
5. Common made me want to cry last night

Yall heard that Sweet track right? Seems like the blogs are loving that shit, saying it's harder than gorilla dicks. But your boy listened to that shit and had to stop mid-way. Am I the only one who feels like Lonny went in too much there? This is how my mom felt when she saw Training Day brehs, when she said "Denzel was too bad in that movie, I don't like it. That's not Denzel." Common sounded down right mean on that track, I can't fuck with it. This is a nicca I wanted to drink hot coco with while playing chess near the fireplace FOR YEARS. Just talking about the world and shit. I don't know the man on Sweet.
This is a nicca I wanted to drink hot coco with while playing chess near the fireplace FOR YEARS
This is a nicca I wanted to drink hot coco with while playing chess near the fireplace FOR YEARS
Hot coco up in this bitch!

I'm dying over here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DominoKid said:
4hbLN.jpg

yessssssss yesssssssss YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
In this picture is a clown standing beside a black hole of talent. I'll leave the interpretations to you guys.

kamspy said:
What is GAF's beef with Wale? I mean, if I didn't know better I would expect you guys to like him more than I do. Weird. He's easily the best lyricist of his class (Cole, Sean, Wiz etc), Yela is probably on the same level. Even though I like Yela a lot more than Wale, I think Wale slightly edges him out in the technical aspect. That's saying a lot since I consider Yela a real professional with his craft.
Best lyricist? He's at the bottom of the barrel right above Wiz. Wale is mediocre in all aspects. He gets his shine on in a song or another every once in a while but that can be said about every other mediocre artist.

He's just kind of.. there. He's like the King of goons at MMG. I mean that's great and all, but your still a goon. Everytime I like a song from Wale, I youtube a few others and their hot garbage, that's the main reason I haven't given dude a chance.

Am I the only one who hasn't liked any of Common's new stuff? Ghetto Dreams, Blue Sky, and Sweet are all, I don't know, not bad per se, but they don't grab me. None of them are songs I'd want to listen to again.

I decided to give myself another chance to lessen my hate on Cole and Big Sean.

I got through Cole's, opinion unchanged. He can make beats and is a decent mc but doesn't do much for me. His cring-worthy punchlines are still as bad as I remember. Overall I can see how people are into him, just not for me.

Ok.....Big Sean is fucking embarassing. I remember him being the worst part of his album but damn. I'm at work and when I saw someone I hoped they wouldn't ask what I was listening to. I thought Cole was reaching Sean levels of corniness with some of his punchlines but Big Sean will not be denied his corny crown. No ID killed it production wise, that's what I got most out of it. Beats are for real.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fuck all that Wale noise.

Hard White (Remix) - Yelawolf ft. T.I. & Slaughterhouse

T.I. and Slaughterhouse made this song salvageable. Not even sure why they released the original, Yelawolf actually puts in effort to make a verse this time around. This shit goes hard (white).

EDIT: Joell's verse.. jesus christ. Damage dealt on the scale of those Flex bombs going off. Joey's verse is my next favourite, then Yela.

siddx

enzo_gt said:

T.I. and Slaughterhouse made this song salvageable. Not even sure why they released the original, Yelawolf actually puts in effort to make a verse this time around. This shit goes hard (white).

EDIT: Joell's verse.. jesus christ. Damage dealt on the scale of those Flex bombs going off. Joey's verse is my next favourite, then Yela.

Original was great too, you sniff too much glue.

njean777

kamspy said:
Section 80 is still in the running for my AOTY...

Liking Ambition more and more everyday. I swear it's like I'm listening to a different rapper than everyone else. He's easily the best technical rapper out of "the new crowd". The album doesn't have a bad song on it IMO. Some of the best cuts on ADD were the girl songs. I think Wale does them as good as anyone in the game right now. I really don't understand anyone who likes Cole World and prefers it to Ambition. Ambition is basically Cole World with 10x more flavor. Plus it's got the most non Luger sounding Lex Luger beat ever. If not for the little Lex sound signature at the beginning I would never have guess it was a Luger beat. Overall production is awesome. People will think I'm trolling, but the Big Sean feature is easily the low point of the album (but it also shows you how far ahead of his peers Wale really is), especially since it came on the Diplo beat. What is GAF's beef with Wale? I mean, if I didn't know better I would expect you guys to like him more than I do. Weird. He's easily the best lyricist of his class (Cole, Sean, Wiz etc), Yela is probably on the same level. Even though I like Yela a lot more than Wale, I think Wale slightly edges him out in the technical aspect. That's saying a lot since I consider Yela a real professional with his craft.

I'm still feeling out ASAP Rocky. I find myself going to it a lot when I open foobar, so that's a good thing. He sounds like Hodgy Beats x Bone Thugs with a little bit of old school 3-6 Mafia and UGK sensibilities (the screwed voices on nearly every cut).

New Tity Boi is his most focused work yet. I'm probably GAF HOPs longest running Tity Boi advocate, but the mixtape is solid as fuck. Most people are gonna pass it up because it's not Jurassic 5 inspired, but you shouldn't.

New Fat Joe mixtape is his final nail in the coffin. I downloaded it expecting raw beats and a reinvigorated Fat Joe and mediocre production.

Jim Jones mixtape is on deck. So much good stuff came out in the last couple days it's hard to keep up.

Agree with you about Wale, the only track I do not like is the one with Big Sean then again that could be to me not liking Big Sean at all. But I admit that this album isnt as good as Attention Deficit.

I feel like Wale can do much better, but gets lost in all his Girly songs. If he would come down hard and technical I can see him getting more love, but he continues to try to appeal to girls. Just like J.Cole.

overcast

siddx said:
Honestly have not listened to the song yet. Although I want the album badly, I did like the Kid Rock one surprisingly.

Is there not an official track list for Radioactive?

Oldschoolgamer said:
Common - Sweet

"Come around my crib. You know where I'm from. Yall some hoe ass n****s. Singing all around here man. La la la. You ain't no mother fucking Frank Sinatra. Lil Bitch."--Common

*dies*

edit: This trash talk is fucking GODLIKE.

OMG...NO I.D. IS KILLING EVERYBODY!!!!

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
kamspy said:
I really wouldn't rank wale that highly. He's mostly avg. Although I haven't given the album the attention it deserves mainly because so far wales best work has been on his mixtapes. Also big sean isn't really that good, I dunno who thinks you'd be trolling.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
It's like a hype song without the hype, without the punchlines, and without the hard rhymes. Remix fixes all that, and Yela comes straight this time.

Macca

enzo_gt said:

Not feeling yelawolfs verse at all on this track. The original was far better.

This track bugs me the same way a lot of Slaughterhouse tracks do, it just always seems like there's too many rappers on the track. I mean, what 6 in this song? They all spit good verses, but it just seems like too much to me. It especially shows on that beat, which really doesn't have the staying power to last that long.

siddx

enzo_gt said:
It's like a hype song without the hype, without the punchlines, and without the hard rhymes. Remix fixes all that, and Yela comes straight this time.

You are incorrect.

Macca

enzo_gt said:
Still don't give a fuck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
You are incorrect.
Macca007 said:
Still don't give a fuck.
BTW Y'all should check out that Finally Original tape peter's been hyping up.

Fix your faces.

Tape has so many different sounds, every remix is radically different. From that Primetime-like A$$ remix, to a mellower, soulful version of Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay. Shit is cray.

FF is probably frontrunner for Album Of the Year IMO.

the beat is hype enough to carry it anyways. But I'm liking the remix more than the original (which I enjoyed).

Also the Kid Rock song is good too, it's throwed off.....(w/e the fuck that means)

Macca

enzo_gt said:
BTW Y'all should check out that Finally Original tape peter's been hyping up.

Fix your faces.

Tape has so many different sounds, every remix is radically different. From that Primetime-like A$$ remix, to a mellower, soulful version of Marvin Gaye and Chardonnay. Shit is cray.
I checked that out, it's really nice. Not that the production on FF was bad, it's great, it's just awesome to have something different. I find myself flicking back and forward between the two if I feel like listening to some Big Sean.

I love the remix of Marvin & Chardonnay. Good shit.

GamerSoul

enzo_gt said:
^ Oh shit.

lol I tried to fix it.

enzo_gt said:

Nice got dam Slaughterhouse slaughtering. Love that beat. That Crooked dude, love his flow/lyricism.

And Wale is alright with me. I don't listen him too much but I'. feeling. Focused is a real good track. He just dosn't fit all too well Maybach, imo. His girl problems tracks remind me of J.Cole though lol. I get tired of hearing songs like that.

kamspy

Complex Shadow said:
I really wouldn't rank wale that highly. He's mostly avg. Although I haven't given the album the attention it deserves mainly because so far wales best work has been on his mixtapes. Also big sean isn't really that good, I dunno who thinks you'd be trolling.

Wale goes last. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0Xb01sxgM

Also consider that the ranking is on a purely technical level with no regard to the content. Just delivery, flow, cadence etc.

Diplo should be doing better production, his peak was around 2004-2007ish and his last great beats were on major lazer.

Slight Work sounds more like Afrojack did it to me. He needs to give these muthafuckas another bucky done gun or clash sample here.

Oh and OMG at that Big Sean - A$$ video. God bless the UK.

what happened to THIS DIPLO?! where is he?

Macca

Discotheque said:
Diplo should be doing better production, his peak was around 2004-2007ish and his last great beats were on major lazer.

Slight Work sounds more like Afrojack did it to me. He needs to give these muthafuckas another bucky done gun or clash sample here.
Diplo is producing a track for Yelas album, hopefully he kills it there.

Can't believe the tracklist for Radioactive isn't out yet, album drops in like 3 weeks.

EschatonDX said:
i liked the OG hard white better

yeah....that had a lot more energy. And as much as I like TI he shitted up this song.

Slaughterhouse is good but they overwhelm tracks to be honest, I feel like it would be better if they cut back on their lines.

Macca

EschatonDX said:
i liked the OG hard white better
Me too. If anything TI shouldn't have been on it. Not with Slaughterhouse too. Just too many voices. Also, Yela came 10x harder on the original, it fit the beat a lot better.

Esch

Banned
shady 2.0/slaughterhouse just doesn't understand that as a collective you dont need to throw you and every ***** you know on every single track you make. Pick and choose your spots dudes, cause literally i can't tell any of these guys apart sometimes. Except for Royce

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Black & Brown Music Video.

Still haven't checked out the EP yet, plan to be late on it like I am with everything. I've absolutely loved everything I've heard so far though. Danny has really grown on me.

Alright let's get real for a second. Maybe I'm the only Young Guru stan here but I love hearing dude talk. Here is a lecture-kind of thing he gave in Madrid talking about the industry and the process of making music and Jay's hits and so on. Watching now, it's pretty damn long. Kinda just listening to it in the back while I do other stuff.

I know what you mean but Joe Budden has a distinctive voice from the rest of the crew and Crooked I just goes harder than the rest, but yeah you're right. If their album is just all stuff like this then fuck that.

abuC

enzo_gt said:

I like that they're actually getting a mainstream push, must have hit Flex with some nice payola.

Macca

EschatonDX said:
shady 2.0/slaughterhouse just doesn't understand that as a collective you dont need to throw you and every ***** you know on every single track you make. Pick and choose your spots dudes, cause literally i can't tell any of these guys apart sometimes. Except for Royce
I can usually pick Joell out, but yea, the rest can tend to meld together. That's one thing I love about the Wu, 9 (8 now :( ) dudes in the group, but they don't all feel the need to be on every damn song. And then when it is a posse cut they really bring it. See: Triumph.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Discotheque said:
I know what you mean but Joe Budden has a distinctive voice from the rest of the crew and Crooked I just goes harder than the rest, but yeah you're right. If their album is just all stuff like this then fuck that.
TBH they're all unique in their individual styles of rapping.. I have absolutely zero difficulty distinguishing their voices and their verses. Have no idea how anyone could confuse them really.

The cluttering of verses though is something legitimate to complain about, it's what made their previous album kind of mediocre-ly structure. But this is a remix, fuck rules.

Slaughterhouse are just verse artists, 4 full verses on every song gets repetitive and tiring.

Someone needs to direct them, ok Budden or whoever your verse doesn't really fit, it's gone.

This track is more suited for just two dudes, everyone record a verse and the best two stay.

Maybe throw in a track where its just one of them.

then again their subject matter doesn't go much further than "I'm the best rapper, these guys are great too, you on the other hand aren't so great."

Even cry baby Budden falls into that theme when he's with SH.

DominoKid

MorisUkunRasik said:
Slaughterhouse are just verse artists, 4 full verses on every song gets repetitive and tiring.

Someone needs to direct them, ok Budden or whoever your verse doesn't really fit, it's gone.

This track is more suited for just two dudes, everyone record a verse and the best two stay.

Maybe throw in a track where its just one of them.

then again their subject matter doesn't go much further than "I'm the best rapper, these guys are great too, you on the other hand aren't so great."

Even cry baby Budden falls into that theme when he's with SH.

cant save rappity rap artists from themselves.

Macca

MorisUkunRasik said:
That was how 36 Chambers worked didn't it? Everyone was trying to get the best verse and make it on to the track. Seemed to work for them...

CRS

I really want to punch Big Sean in the face after seeing that video. I wish I could wipe my mind after hearing that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom