• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Slaughterhouse songs would be 100% better if they never started with a Joell or Crooked verse. Opening verse should always be Royce or Buttons.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
Slaughterhouse songs would be 100% better if they never started with a Joell or Crooked verse. Opening verse should always be Royce or Buttons.
I agree with this, but Budden pretty frequently now has the best verses too, so I'm not sure anymore.

Hell, when Slaughterhouse busted out I thought Royce ethered them all hands down.. shit didn't play out like that after Slaughterhouse and Onslaught.

overcast

What's wrong with the original Hard White, it's solid (besides annoying ass Lil Jon).

Did anybody listen to this track?

Daily Bread - The Note (Gensu Dean Remix)

...Simply incredible
My God, that is great.

Tokubetsu

Noz wrote a pretty scathing article on Wale/Ambition:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/41711/wale-flail/

It’s a rare do-over for an artist at Wale’s level. These days, few rappers even get a chance to flub a major-label debut, let alone a follow-up.

And yet, to hear Wale tell it, the record is an unimpeachable classic. If you follow him on Twitter, he has already told you this, repeatedly, often using the hash-tag #classicalbum. To a degree, this is the lingua franca of modern hip-hop. Nobody admits to making just pretty good records anymore; every album is a classic in the mind of its creator, even while wider consensus over what deserves such status is becoming rarer in an era of atomized taste and Internet static.

Didn't we just talk about this here?

Another one on ASAP Rocky:
http://read.mtvhive.com/2011/11/02/is-aap-rockys-free-mixtape-worth-3-million/

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
kamspy said:
true. but you have to wonder if budden really wants it though, with the amount of music he releases. or should i say doesn't release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just finished watching the Guru thing. Hoooooooo boy.

- Talks stagnation of hip hop from autotune.
- Talks nitty gritty of producing Run This Town (Timbo was there working on it... for some reason) and producers communicating with the artists on the direction of the sounds for the track(s). Talks about how technicalities and shit don't mean jack shit to people, "it's what comes out of the two speakers that's what counts."
- Talks collaboration and production crediting. You know how people say "oh he didn't produce that, this guy did!"
- Talks coming up, DC not giving a shit about any other kind of hip hop sound at the time.
- Talks the balance between, not necessarily just commercialized music, but music for your audience and what you want as an artist creatively.
- Talks basically how he came up, taking Hip-Hop worldwide and when he figured out this was what he wanted to do, and how networking got him where he is.
- Talks what made Bassline special, and a key to the success to the Roc, how he got to tune their Bassline room acoustically at the beginning of it all.
- Talks doing Jazz sessions to learn how to clean up music production that's riddled with plugins and stuff. Plays "Oh Boy" by Cam as an example of one of the cleaner tracks he's made with none of that excessive shit added on. Talks the story behind the song.
- Talks the creation of De La Soul and MF DOOM's Rock Co. Kane Flow.
- Talks trying to get Jay on a Dilla beat forever, Jay not really understanding/not finding it fitting in with album/music direction at the time.
- Talks having stuff of Dillas that he's not supposed to have, playing MF DOOM (and Food)/Dilla for Jay.
- Talks where hip-hop is going next, says International hip-hop taking over, cites Drake as an example. "We would have never though someone from Canada would be running hip-hop." Says he hates when international artists try to emulate US styles, "If you have to rhyme in your native language, do that. Half the people who listen to Reggae don't know what the hell they're saying, but they enjoy the music." Feels the UK is hungriest right now, and are probably next.
- Talks maturing the culture, 40 year olds shouldn't be talking about popping bottles in the club, and everyone trying to rhyme like their 18 year olds, that being the only way to sustain the genre without fizzling.
- Talks putting on his A&R hat and changing "New York State Of Mind" to "Empire State Of Mind," used to be a complete R&B song by some girl with a different story, Jay changed the story and the name was changed not to alienate people and make it a global anthem and not just a NY one.
- Teases the Jay Electronica album some more.

Dude is a fucking genius. Love this kind of commentary on hip-hop and the nitty gritty of it all. Surprised more people here aren't into stuff like this and the Rosenberg sit downs and stuff. *shrug*

JackEtc

Alright guys, per your request, just started to listen through Liquid Swords. OB4CL will be next.

Halfway through the first track, and already really liking it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
LOZLINK said:
iWCUbCeY15QC.gif

JEKKI

Justin Bieber is awesome!!!

but Primo already called him out saying the dood cant freestyle, that he's busting written verses.

I aint havin none of that...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
JEKKI said:
Justin Bieber is awesome!!!

but Primo already called him out saying the dood cant freestyle, that he's busting written verses.

I aint havin none of that...

Not that I disagree, but why just single him out when a bunch of them obviously had writtens?

The M.O.B

Oldschoolgamer said:
Not that I disagree, but why just single him out when a bunch of them obviously had writtens?

Bieber had his verse written by Ludacris, Primo said come back next year and write your own verse next time.

IrishNinja

overcast said:
Cause the Wu has fallen off for the most part, and there are other rappers who keep rap alive. It's a cute image sure, but kind of dumb.

siddx said:
Wu Tang is far from forever, Wu had a use by 1996 date. Everything since then has the potential to surprisingly still be ok to digest on rare occasions, but usually leaves you with severe diarrhea spewing from your brown eye like a motherfucking las vegas water fountain.

i was bout to make another list, but im still absorbing Phoenix's post.

gonna go watch enzo's guru thing, then check out new common.

Just saw Big Sean and Cyhi the Prynce. Big Sean probably isn't everyone's favorite, but he puts on a hell of a show. Awesome guest appearance by Chip tha Ripper too

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The M.O.B said:
Bieber had his verse written by Ludacris, Primo said come back next year and write your own verse next time.

Well, at least he had the common sense to get someone that can write to do his. *shrugs* smh @ Dom Kennedy. Primo should have banned him too. lol

I've been listening to Souls of Mischief's '93 till Infinity and it's fucking amazing. Is there any other groups you guys recommend that are like them.. or other albums I should check out by them next?

HiResDes

apocalidiot said:
I've been listening to Souls of Mischief's '93 till Infinity and it's fucking amazing. Is there any other groups you guys recommend that are like them.. or other albums I should check out by them next?
The Pharcyde
A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
Main Source
Hieroglyphics
The People Under the Stairs
Nice N' Smooth

...Some dude requests to hear some of that ill, real shit, and the next reply is some bullshit about Nicki Minaj's fake ass.

leave-in-disgust.gif

93 til Infinity from Souls is so good.

Pharcyde is a great group too, Ab Soul from Black Hippy sounds like one of their doppelgangers (vocally)

//B1G

Banned
HiResDes said:
...Some dude requests to hear some of that ill, real shit, and the next reply is some bullshit about Nicki Minaj's fake ass.
man that happens to me just about every post i make in this thread. i'd participate more, but dudes here are so stuck on discussing inane shit

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
New Pusha T ep is solid, get's kinda weak after the mid point, but then picks up at the end...

you can guess what features were the weakest on the album.

Amen w/ Kanye and Young Jeezy was fucking dope though.

//B1G

Banned
i last posted a couple tracks from AZ's incredibly smooth album 'The Memphis Sessions', and I bet not one person even clicked the links, and of course no one replied.

HiResDes

//B1G said:
i last posted a couple tracks from AZ's incredibly smooth album 'The Memphis Sessions', and I bet not one person even clicked the links, and of course no one replied.
I saw a brief Memphis Sessions discussion, if I recall correctly. I still bump Do or Die regularly

overcast

It's fun to talk about the stupid shit. I mean I appreciate the dope underground stuff, but it's funny to post about Nicki Minaj's big ass (regardless of how fugly she is).

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
//B1G said:
i mean i understand most guys like the current shit, but i mean damn! that's not all you have to talk about
Dude your mad. And true that Niki post was a waste of space. But somepeople don't know what's good and what isn't. And I am sure people clicked your link but they don't have to replay about it. If something is good enough, you don't need to talk about it, the quality of the track will talk for it self.

CRS

HiResDes said:
I have it downloaded!

My download list JUST from Monday.

D-WILL - The Granny Smith Theorem.zip

yonas-michael-lost-in-hollywood.zip

ASAP_Rocky_-_LiveLoveASAP.zip

CruiseControl-OnSMASH.zip

L.E.P BOGUS BOYS - NOW OR NEVA [HOSTED BY DJ GREEN LANTERN].zip

Milo - I wish my brother Rob was here.zip

ColdDayInHell.zip

Dasanto-I Kill Shit.zip