• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Throavium said:
MF DOOM is monotone when he raps, this guy is monotone but he seems to just be talking. This guy sounds like what Das Racist would sound like if they attempted to rap monotone.

MF Doom is like ODB to me, makes a few songs I love but if I tried to sit through an entire album I'd probably start throwing things at old people.

siddx

Oh and heads up to Euro Hip Hop Gaf, Rhymesayers is touring Europe right now.

Atmosphere alongside label-mates Brother Ali, Evidence, Blueprint, and Grieves & Budo.

07.11 - London, UK @ The Electric Ballroom: SOLD OUT! | RSVP
08.11 - Amsterdam, NL @ Melkweg: SOLD OUT! | RSVP
09.11 - Paris, FR @ La Machine du Moulin Rouge: Buy Tickets | RSVP
11.11 - Brussels, BE @ Ancienne Belgique: Buy Tickets | RSVP
12.11 - Zurich, CH @ Rote Fabrik: Buy Tickets | RSVP
13.11 - Fribourg, CH @ Fri-Son: Buy Tickets | RSVP
15.11 - Berlin, DE @ Festsaal Kreuzberg: Buy Tickets | RSVP
16.11 - Hamburg, DE @ Uebel & Gefahrlich: Buy Tickets | RSVP
18.11 - Stockholm , SE @ Nalen: Buy Tickets | RSVP
19.11 - Oslo, NO @ Spikerboks: Buy Tickets | RSVP
20.11 - Copenhagen, DK @ Vega Musikkenshus: Buy Tickets | RSVP

GO if they are in your area, you will not regret it, even they aren't your thing. Atmosphere puts on an incredible live show, better than any artist I have ever seen by a country mile. Brother Ali and Evidence are very solid as well. I haven't seen any of the others but I imagine they are fairly good too.

Bishman

enzo_gt said:
Just finished watching the Guru thing. Hoooooooo boy.

- Talks stagnation of hip hop from autotune.
- Talks nitty gritty of producing Run This Town (Timbo was there working on it... for some reason) and producers communicating with the artists on the direction of the sounds for the track(s). Talks about how technicalities and shit don't mean jack shit to people, "it's what comes out of the two speakers that's what counts."
- Talks collaboration and production crediting. You know how people say "oh he didn't produce that, this guy did!"
- Talks coming up, DC not giving a shit about any other kind of hip hop sound at the time.
- Talks the balance between, not necessarily just commercialized music, but music for your audience and what you want as an artist creatively.
- Talks basically how he came up, taking Hip-Hop worldwide and when he figured out this was what he wanted to do, and how networking got him where he is.
- Talks what made Bassline special, and a key to the success to the Roc, how he got to tune their Bassline room acoustically at the beginning of it all.
- Talks doing Jazz sessions to learn how to clean up music production that's riddled with plugins and stuff. Plays "Oh Boy" by Cam as an example of one of the cleaner tracks he's made with none of that excessive shit added on. Talks the story behind the song.
- Talks the creation of De La Soul and MF DOOM's Rock Co. Kane Flow.
- Talks trying to get Jay on a Dilla beat forever, Jay not really understanding/not finding it fitting in with album/music direction at the time.
- Talks having stuff of Dillas that he's not supposed to have, playing MF DOOM (and Food)/Dilla for Jay.
- Talks where hip-hop is going next, says International hip-hop taking over, cites Drake as an example. "We would have never though someone from Canada would be running hip-hop." Says he hates when international artists try to emulate US styles, "If you have to rhyme in your native language, do that. Half the people who listen to Reggae don't know what the hell they're saying, but they enjoy the music." Feels the UK is hungriest right now, and are probably next.
- Talks maturing the culture, 40 year olds shouldn't be talking about popping bottles in the club, and everyone trying to rhyme like their 18 year olds, that being the only way to sustain the genre without fizzling.
- Talks putting on his A&R hat and changing "New York State Of Mind" to "Empire State Of Mind," used to be a complete R&B song by some girl with a different story, Jay changed the story and the name was changed not to alienate people and make it a global anthem and not just a NY one.
- Teases the Jay Electronica album some more.

Dude is a fucking genius. Love this kind of commentary on hip-hop and the nitty gritty of it all. Surprised more people here aren't into stuff like this and the Rosenberg sit downs and stuff. *shrug*
Link?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
siddx said:
Do you ever record your sets when you play at clubs? Seems like you could pretty easily record it while you play, and then either delete it if you don't care much for it or save it if you thought it went particularly well

I could, but it would require me to use a line out of the mixer back to my PC...just seemed like too much hassle lol.. And most GAF-Hop would hate them....

Blackace

siddx said:
MF Doom is like ODB to me, makes a few songs I love but if I tried to sit through an entire album I'd probably start throwing things at old people.

Never got the Doom love.. Don't think he is bad but never clicked with me.. *shrug* but then again I bump Andre Nickitina...

Grzi

overcast said:
I want to listen to all of these ones badly. Don't care too much about the other 2.

Funny because those two will most likely be better albums than all the others on the list.

Blackace said:
Never got the Doom love.. Don't think he is bad but never clicked with me.. *shrug* but then again I bump Andre Nickitina...
Madvillainy is great, but that's probably because he fades in and out of the entire album. His solo material is hard to sit through start to end.

siddx

Blackace said:

I think the Andre love is one of the very few areas in which I think you have musically lost your mind haha. His album "Hate you with a passion" back when he was dre dog might be one of my most regretted purchases ever. It was one of those blind pick ups and I spent my last 20 on it. Some of the production was pretty good (situation critical, Killa Whale) but even back then I thought he was one of the worst rappers I had ever heard.

Blackace

siddx said:
I think the Andre love is one of the very few areas in which I think you have musically lost your mind haha. His album "Hate you with a passion" back when he was dre dog might be one of my most regretted purchases ever. It was one of those blind pick ups and I spent my last 20 on it. Some of the production was pretty good (situation critical, Killa Whale) but even back then I thought he was one of the worst rappers I had ever heard.

He grew a bit as a rapper when he dropped the Dre Dog moniker and became Andre Nickitina.. He isn't for everyone and I know he isn't that a great rapper.. But LOVE his productions and subject matter... He uses some of the dopest samples, and strings and pianos in his stuff.. Was just listening to some today in fact.. And one song has the Hard Boiled action music as a running sample throughout the song... It is real dope..

siddx

Blackace said:
He grew a bit as a rapper when he dropped the Dre Dog moniker and became Andre Nickitina.. He isn't for everyone and I know he isn't that a great rapper.. But LOVE his productions and subject matter... He uses some of the dopest samples, and strings and pianos in his stuff.. Was just listening to some today in fact.. And one song has the Hard Boiled action music as a running sample throughout the song... It is real dope..

I could see that, I always liked the production on that Killer Whale track, thought it was a clever sample.

Blackace

siddx said:
I could see that, I always liked the production on that Killer Whale track, thought it was a clever sample.

Not to think that you will all of a sudden be like oh snap Andre is dope... But you don't hear a lot of clever production like this.. He does a lot of his own production too so I really respect him, but he isnt someone I try to sell to people often..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4xVfIkh_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

siddx

Blackace said:
Not to think that you will all of a sudden be like oh snap Andre is dope... But you don't hear a lot of clever production like this.. He does a lot of his own production too so I really respect him, but he isnt someone I try to sell to people often..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4xVfIkh_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah, production is sick, but his rapping is just...so amatuerish. I can't even hate on the guy cause he is doing his thing and obviously has production skills, but I wish he would focus more on producing for others instead.

kodecraft

Speaking of the OP having "dat shit cray" in the title and some of the posters on here using it....lets see where Kanye got it from shall we....

Jay-Z: Ball so hard muthaphukas wanna find me......but first ni99az gotta find me

Kanye: Dat shit Cray...

Makes sense now!

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhdM6F0g7B2cEmTqhi

Kanye and Jay always talking subliminally, but kind of genius though to make it fit in a song and have some meaning besides some "cool" new way to say crazy.

Blackace

siddx said:
Yeah, production is sick, but his rapping is just...so amatuerish. I can't even hate on the guy cause he is doing his thing and obviously has production skills, but I wish he would focus more on producing for others instead.

His production is really unique i wonder how others could handle it.. He isn't great nor polished but that is part of the charm like ODB or whoever.

But it is rare that you can say anything is very unique but his beats and to a lesser degree the way he meshes with them is...

Again I am not really trying to push him on anyone...

Blackace

kodecraft said:
Kanye and Jay always talking subliminally, but kind of genius though to make it fit in a song and have some meaning besides some "cool" new way to say crazy.

Notsureifserious.gof

kodecraft

Complex Shadow said:
no deserves to get banned for that. is it true? no. but should he be banned? .....no....
maybe

Banned from what? this thread?

This is a hip-hop thread, we talk ish, post music, videos, and give thoughts on particular things dealing with hip-hop.....if i get banned for what i said then we might as well be buying clean rap albums from Wal-Mart.

Straightup.gif

siddx

kodecraft said:

Wtf?

AmInotentitled2myownopinion.gif

noyouareonlyentitledtomyopinionbecausemyopinionistherightone.gif

Surely you have figured that out by now.

Blackace

As homophobic as hiphop is find it odd they would go with the Kray brothers...

kodecraft

Blackace said:
As homophobic as hiphop is find it odd they would go with the Kray brothers...

That's interesting, also what i thought when i watched the video...but i don't think its so much about their sexuality as it was about how elusive they were.

Dat shit Kray.

Blackace

kodecraft said:
That's interesting, also what i thought when i watched the video...but i don't think its so much about their sexuality as it was about how elusive they were.

Dat shit Kray.

Well.. There is that rumor about Ye..

kodecraft

Blackace said:
Well.. There is that rumor about Ye..

Yea, with his fashion sense and how he is quick to have beef with females I wonder, but damn I am a Ye fan love that music....

dis shit Kray....matter fact...dis shit Ye.

Blackace

Complex Shadow said:
i could care less if was or wasn't gay. as long as he keeps making good music. i am fine.

But hiphop doesn't work like that sadly...

Beezy

kodecraft said:
Speaking of the OP having "dat shit cray" in the title and some of the posters on here using it....lets see where Kanye got it from shall we....

Jay-Z: Ball so hard muthaphukas wanna find me......but first ni99az gotta find me

Kanye: Dat shit Cray...

Makes sense now!

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhdM6F0g7B2cEmTqhi

Right, that's why the written lyrics that came with the album say "cray".

Blackace said:
sorry I missed WCW... had to DJ. :(
unforgivable unless you do a WCW featuring Kanye on every song.

But for real, I don't really like Wale's album at all. It's just really forgettable to me, though he does have some hot lyrics every now and then.

Milo was decent, too, not really much to say but that lol.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
PhoenixDark said:
Roc Marciano - Emeralds
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/11/03/roc-marciano-emeralds/
(from Macberg: Reloaded)

2dopeboyz says it's coming in December, but some other sites are saying January damn. I can't wait; Roc is the dopest street rapper right now, no doubt. Hasn't dropped a bad verse or record all year

and lol @ the ghetto ass art work
Lamborghini dreams, Nissan nightmares...

Damn he came correct. I haven't paid attention to Roc for years, but he's back on my radar.

njean777

Blackace said:
But hiphop doesn't work like that sadly...

And why not? It took awhile but gay people are starting to be somewhat respected. Pretty sure in 20 years we will look back and laugh at how homophobic people were.

njean777 said:
And why not? It took awhile but gay people are starting to be somewhat respected. Pretty sure in 20 years we will look back and laugh at how homophobic people were.
Hiphop culture doesn't really evolve at the same rate as society in general. It'll still be a while before a gay man can come up without fear of ignorant people.

Detox

Dispear (LIVE From Wembley Stadium, 2011) I was there Nas is so good live, you can just about see me in the sea of faces at 5:02 next to the guy in the green shirt.

I was planning on going to Rhymesayers, I'm sure there would be some really good looking girls there and they probably have taste in hiphop but it's sold-out...

Acid08

Banned
Black and Brown is fucking great. Dat flow and beat on Zap.

Smh at Doom solo album opinions, Operation Doomsday and MM Food are classics. Born Like This is the one album I'm mediocre on. Love the Vaudeville Villain and King Geedorah albums as well.

OG Kush

enzo_gt said:
Just finished watching the Guru thing. Hoooooooo boy.

- Talks stagnation of hip hop from autotune.
- Talks nitty gritty of producing Run This Town (Timbo was there working on it... for some reason) and producers communicating with the artists on the direction of the sounds for the track(s). Talks about how technicalities and shit don't mean jack shit to people, "it's what comes out of the two speakers that's what counts."
- Talks collaboration and production crediting. You know how people say "oh he didn't produce that, this guy did!"
- Talks coming up, DC not giving a shit about any other kind of hip hop sound at the time.
- Talks the balance between, not necessarily just commercialized music, but music for your audience and what you want as an artist creatively.
- Talks basically how he came up, taking Hip-Hop worldwide and when he figured out this was what he wanted to do, and how networking got him where he is.
- Talks what made Bassline special, and a key to the success to the Roc, how he got to tune their Bassline room acoustically at the beginning of it all.
- Talks doing Jazz sessions to learn how to clean up music production that's riddled with plugins and stuff. Plays "Oh Boy" by Cam as an example of one of the cleaner tracks he's made with none of that excessive shit added on. Talks the story behind the song.
- Talks the creation of De La Soul and MF DOOM's Rock Co. Kane Flow.
- Talks trying to get Jay on a Dilla beat forever, Jay not really understanding/not finding it fitting in with album/music direction at the time.
- Talks having stuff of Dillas that he's not supposed to have, playing MF DOOM (and Food)/Dilla for Jay.
- Talks where hip-hop is going next, says International hip-hop taking over, cites Drake as an example. "We would have never though someone from Canada would be running hip-hop." Says he hates when international artists try to emulate US styles, "If you have to rhyme in your native language, do that. Half the people who listen to Reggae don't know what the hell they're saying, but they enjoy the music." Feels the UK is hungriest right now, and are probably next.
- Talks maturing the culture, 40 year olds shouldn't be talking about popping bottles in the club, and everyone trying to rhyme like their 18 year olds, that being the only way to sustain the genre without fizzling.
- Talks putting on his A&R hat and changing "New York State Of Mind" to "Empire State Of Mind," used to be a complete R&B song by some girl with a different story, Jay changed the story and the name was changed not to alienate people and make it a global anthem and not just a NY one.
- Teases the Jay Electronica album some more.

Dude is a fucking genius. Love this kind of commentary on hip-hop and the nitty gritty of it all. Surprised more people here aren't into stuff like this and the Rosenberg sit downs and stuff. *shrug*
What documentary is this?! guru from Gang Starr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom