• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
You should check out this Lady GaGa chick, I hear she has a decent following. GaGa cosigned it herself, etc.

Song is alright, doesn't get many spins from me but it didn't morally offend me as a fan. Was done for shits and giggles, leaked, blew up from there.

Which just made the song that much worse. Shit "artist" cosigns shit song. Common was the only decent thing about it and even he couldn't save it.

siddx

I think I need to make a Gucci mix..

I was thinking you should just do a general hip hop hits mix. Nothing region specific or style specific, just the best hip hop tracks (and/or most underappreciated tracks in your opinion) both new and old.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I was thinking you should just do a general hip hop hits mix. Nothing region specific or style specific, just the best hip hop tracks (and/or most underappreciated tracks in your opinion) both new and old.

That is harder than it sounds.. lol.. lately been getting back into mixing West coast stuff in the clubs... Next Episode to Rack City to the Motto for the win!

MotM2 is garbage, listened to it a couple of days ago.
I always go back to it 'just incase I was wrong about it' because it still doesn't sink in how a record made on the heels of MotM1 can be so awful. Fuck that record! (Though The End is pretty nice)

Mark Morrison? MARK MORRISON!? Mr 'Return of the Mac' Morrison? How the what the shit?

Damn I been sleeping on Mark. I still have his original album around here somewhere from when I was a kid. Might have to dig that out tomorrow for a mighty nostalgia blast!

Ha Cassidy. I used to play the shit out of I'm A Hustler then when his album came out I didn't care anymore and never listened to him again :-/

CRS

Is that Mark Morrison feature just the sample? Didn't get to finish it, but it sounds like it was just the hook.

siddx

Cassidy is a strong contender for most annoying rapper out there. His voice, his style, the kind of lyrics he comes up with. Just annoying as all hell. I played the hell of I'm a Hustler and Drink and 2 step, but everything else he has done is just grating. Very definition of a stereotypical, unremarkable new york rapper.
Also, don't know how his ass managed to get a first degree murder charged changed to involuntary manslaughter. He was facing life without parole and managed to get 8 months instead, fuck is that about?

SoilBreak

Banned
Cassidy is a strong contender for most annoying rapper out there. His voice, his style, the kind of lyrics he comes up with. Just annoying as all hell. I played the hell of I'm a Hustler and Drink and 2 step, but everything else he has done is just grating. Very definition of a stereotypical, unremarkable new york rapper.

Isn't he from philly?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
More evidence nobody listened to anything from B.A.R.S. outside of My Drink and My 2 Step. Nothing will change your mind though if you already feel that way. Cass has always been a polarized kind of rapper, he rivals Game in the number of failed singles. He's either tears shit up or everything sounds half-assed. For most of his career, more of the latter.

Blackace

Also, don't know how his ass managed to get a first degree murder charged changed to involuntary manslaughter. He was facing life without parole and managed to get 8 months instead, fuck is that about?

Cassidy is like a c-level Jadakiss imo. Weak punchlines, annoying voice, horrible pop rap attempts, etc.

Cassidy has a 1 good song every 6 years contract

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ive heard a few MIA songs over the years and like them. which album should I start with?

Stick with the singles man...the albums are harsh listens and not really worth it.

but whoever is writing her singles does a bang up job.

siddx

ive heard a few MIA songs over the years and like them. which album should I start with?

Arular and Kala are both great albums. Maya not so much. Her best feature is her production and charisma. She can't write lyrics worth shit but she's damn entertaining and some of the tracks on her first album especially will blow your fucking speakers.

Blackace

Saigon and Papoose both have reaching that tier on their bucket list.

I liked Saigon's album as a whole.. not great but got a little play from me..

Papoose needs to make a good song first..

Saigon and Papoose both have reaching that tier on their bucket list.

Speaking of which, am I the only person who thought GSNT was trash? It's such a generic album, as if he rattled down a list of "how not to be a gangster rapper"

-song about friends
-song about enemies
-multiple "you can do it if you believe" songs
-autotune
-cosigns from 90s rappers
-song about greepy preachers!

etc. And while the production is good, even that aspect feels dated. It's like a street response to College Dropout that's almost a decade late.

siddx

Speaking of which, am I the only person who thought GSNT was trash? It's such a generic album, as if he rattled down a list of "how not to be a gangster rapper"

-song about friends
-song about enemies
-autotune

etc. And while the production is good, even that aspect feels dated. It's like a street response to College Dropout that's almost a decade late.

Naw I agree, I barely listened to it, just screamed generic hip hop album to me, like you said. And yeah, dated as fuck. Such a wasted opportunity.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

-song about friends
-song about enemies
-autotune

Nah, you got my full agreement on Saigon and Papoose being garbage. I don't even remember which one was which. Which one was the one trying to be Jay-Z?

IrishNinja

I liked Saigon's album as a whole.. not great but got a little play from me..

i'm taking shots on him, but it's been a minute - what were your highlights?

ps "Gotta have it" was on the radio on my way to work, right? was on this high like "what to bump to get this mood...OH SHIT HERE'S THAT QUIK MIX", if i wile out & get fired im naming names ace

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

-song about friends
-song about enemies
-autotune

Everyone thought it was dated when it came out cause most-to-all of it WAS recorded way back in the day and just slept on for like half a decade because of label issues.

Wasn't a bad album though, but hey did anyone really expect him to drop AAA material? It was a blast from the past that I thought was great in the context of it all. One problem though is some of the punch lines are really corny/typical but you don't realize it until you pick em out and read em yourself.

Blackace

i'm taking shots on him, but it's been a minute - what were your highlights?

ps "Gotta have it" was on the radio on my way to work, right? was on this high like "what to bump to get this mood...OH SHIT HERE'S THAT QUIK MIX", if i wile out & get fired im naming names ace

all pub is good pub my fellow black Irish man.

I don't mean it was dope dope but I thought it was decent..

The whole album was produced by Just Blaze almost.. Gotta Have It is my favorite track made my ECM2... (overdue for another soon.. )

The Greatest Story Never Told and And the Winner Is... were nice as well..

So I got around to listening to Undun, just wondering what the consensus on it was?

I really can't remember shit other than liking Make My and Lighthouse. Overall, I thought How I Got Over was much better both in the flow of tracks and individually. Wouldn't say I was disappointed in it, but I don't think it's something I'll feel like listening to straight through very often.

none of them =/
Stick with the singles man...the albums are harsh listens and not really worth it.

tumblr_lyy130p86R1r7drv2o1_400.gif

Arular and Kala are both great albums.
Damn right! Kala is an amazing album and Arular is not far behind.
Cudder just go in release order, she only has three albums (and two mixtapes) so it's not any kind of huge investment to delve into her work.

Man I love the beat on Bad Girls, video is fuck-awesome too. Not as good as Gavras' Stress for Justice but still I'm calling it, video of the year.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Arular and Kala are my shit. Maya was "ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS..." tho.

Jeezy recent album really isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...#late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom