• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
? I thought the JetLife album was great?

I wouldn't say great. There were some real dope beats on it, but honestly i wouldn't revisit a great deal of that album. Either way if i look at it as a part of spittas discography it's in clear last for me. Or 2nd, including this EP.

I wouldn't say great. There were some real dope beats on it, but honestly i wouldn't revisit a great deal of that album. Either way if i look at it as a part of spittas discography it's in clear last for me. Or 2nd, including this EP.

I listened to like three songs and gave up. Not really cuz it was bad, it was just boring. I'll revisit it one day

Ayo Detox you mentioning 2nd Childhood made me remember the Blueprint v Stillmatic days, and something I've been thinking about. Before Blueprint, Jay-Z had already established the framework by acquiring impressive in-house producers to go alongside the big name ones he worked with. That mixture gave the album a pretty consistent, dope tone from a production stand point.

On Illmatic, Nas basically had a host of dope NY producers competing over his vocals - yet overall it still sounds like a consistent album sonically. But on Stillmatic the production is all over the place, and there are a lot of no name producers on there. It really hurts the album as there are just a few banger productions on there. Blueprint just sounds better sonically

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zJa6FB5crk

Lil B - I Own Swag

Saw this trending on twitter last night wtf

ibcIKuQDf34o8y.gif

and my favorite
KuGsj.gif

ibd18zR5tigdwL.gif

How can you even say everyone would like his second album more if it's so greatly and clearly influenced by the coke habit?

No one knows what MotM2 would be like without that in his life.

I've warmed up to MotM2, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's not as consistent as MotM1.
Chill out ma, I only meant that the lack of coke would have probably helped people understand him. MotM2 drops too much into the mumbling stuff. I understand that the drug was a very important part of the whole theme of the album. Come on, I'm spindashing god damn it.

MOTM2>MOTM1

http://i.minus.com/it1A7KAmuEsRs.gif[img][/quote]
Sometimes I agree with this. I think I've even agreed with it in the thread before. But other days, the first album wins me over.

[I]PD, eat a dick, btw.
[/I]

DominoKid

Chill out ma, I only meant that the lack of coke would have probably helped people understand him. MotM2 drops too much into the mumbling stuff. I understand that the drug was a very important part of the whole theme of the album. Come on, I'm spindashing god damn it.

Sometimes I agree with this. I think I've even agreed with it in the thread before. But other days, the first album wins me over.

PD, eat a dick, btw.

funny that you guys always mention the coke because as i enjoyed 2 much more than 1 as a stoner album

T Dollarz

Waddup Gaf-Hop. This be my first post in here (or anywhere) so just thought I'd make an introductory post since I will most likely end up being a regular in this thread. Been following for a while now waiting for my activation, love your guys' opinions on hip hop. So yeah, not really sure why I chose this username considering I tend to be more anti-OF, so is it a hassle to change it? Will try to think of a new one. Anywho... pretty sure it's too late to vote for AOTY, but I'd like to put my picks up nonetheless.

1. CunninLynguists - Oneirology
2. Big KRIT - Return of 4eva
3. Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
4. The Roots - Undun
5. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne
6. Curren$y & Alchemist - Covert Coup
7. Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
8. Hassaan Mackey & Apollo Brown - Daily Bread
9. Drake - Take Care
10. Danny Brown - XXX

Some standout songs for me from 2011:
Curren$y & Alchemist (feat. Freddie Gibbs) - Scottie Pippens
Tyler the Creator - Yonkers
Jay-Z & Kanye West - Ni**as in Paris
Kendrick Lamar - A.D.H.D
Big KRIT - Money on the Floor
Pac Div - High Five

Fuck it, I like too many songs lol. If I had to pick just one though, it would be Scottie Pippens. Favorite rapper: Kanye West (4 classics, 'nuff said). Man of 2011: Big KRIT.
Oh and I'll work on the OP's poll next.

Whatup Gaf-Hop, looks like juniors are flooding in, me included.

Just wanted to say I finally got around to Return of 4Eva and its really great stuff. Spot on production.

Haven't ever really listened to Southern Rap at all, any suggestions on where to start?

I'm thinkin Three 6 Mafia and Scarface

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Whatup Gaf-Hop, looks like juniors are flooding in, me included.

Just wanted to say I finally got around to Return of 4Eva and its really great stuff. Spot on production.

Haven't ever really listened to Southern Rap at all, any suggestions on where to start?

I'm thinkin Three 6 Mafia and Scarface

8Ball and MJG On Top of the World
Three 6 Mafia Most Known Unknown
OutKast Southernplayalistic and ALTiens
Scarface The Diary
Jeezy The Recession
UGK Ridin Dirty

That should give you a good sample of the south..

kamspy

Goodie Mob Soul Food
Goodie Mob Still Standing
T.I. Trap Muzik
T.I. Urban Legend

Oh, for 3 6 Check out Chapter 2 World Domination. Easily.

8Ball and MJG On Top of the World
Three 6 Mafia Most Known Unknown
OutKast Southernplayalistic and ALTiens
Scarface The Diary
Jeezy The Recession
UGK Ridin Dirty

That should give you a good sample of the south..

When it comes to southern rap, ATLiens is the GOAT.

Goodie Mob Soul Food
Goodie Mob Still Standing
T.I. Trap Muzik
T.I. Urban Legend

Oh, for 3 6 Check out Chapter 2 World Domination. Easily.

Thanks for the recommendations, should keep me up busy for a while.

Top 10 Mixtapes of 2011
1. Not Too Far Away
2. SetBacks
3. Cabin Fever
4. Fear of God
5. LiveLoveASAP
6. Return of 4Eva
7. War Music
8. Black Thoughts Vol 2
9. Friend of the People
10. Verde Terrace

Top 10 Albums of 2011
1. Watch the Throne
2. Rolling Papers
3. Hell: The Sequel
4. Section.80
5. Lasers
6. Take Care
7. Finally Famous
8. Mac & Devin
9. Ambition
10. Undun

I know I'll be called out for some of that but I thought I'd contribute.

Also HnC is definitely my favorite of 2012 so far.

T Dollarz

1. Rank Kanye's Albums
College Dropout > Late Registration > Graduation > MBDTF. That is all.

2. Pick a coast to rep
Chi City

3. Pac or Biggie?
Tupac Shakur

4. Make a comparison between Khalifa and something soft
Wiz Khalifa is softer than Carlos Boozer in the post. We talkin' millions.

5. Who won the Jay-Z and Nas beef.
I'll go with Nas.

6. Flocka or Royce?
No comment.

7. What do you think of J. Cole?
Love the dude. The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights are two of my favorite mixtapes ever, and I enjoyed Cole World although it wasn't on the same level for me.

8. Who is the best Wu-Tang member?
GZA. dat Liquid Swords.

9. Can 2pac rap? Or do Biggie got DAT FLOW?
2pac can rap. Biggie has dat flow.

10. Rate Lupe on a scale of 1-10 + call him a dumbass for Lasers, political views
7/10. F&L + The Cool are amazing, but Lasers was so bad I honestly have lost a lot of respect for the dude. Here's to pulling for that F&L2 sans Atlantic!!!

11. Lil B, genius or mentally challenged?
He is pretty awful. That said, the production on I'm Gay was so fucking good.

12. Pick an era of Eminem.
MMLP

13. How does Drake write such deep lyrics?
I... I don't even know.

14. Is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production?
Hell nah. His new album's bout to be dope.

15. Joe Budden: Introspective and witty, or annoying fetus killing asshole?
I've never got around to checking out his stuff. What's the consensus on him, worth giving a chance?

BOOSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom