• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever listen to these guys? OCD: Moosh & Twist

I saw them last night in Chicago and they were pretty incredible on stage, especially for their age. The only thing that I don't like about them is that the majority of their songs have poppy chorus that sound lame.

kamspy

Have any GAF hoppers not listened to UGK Ridin' Dirty all the way through?

I'm just curious. Also, what's the head count on 8Ball & MJG On Top of the World?

Got these two on rotation, bangers.

uPERt.png

Rich Kidz - "100 Dollar Autograph"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AsTOX8nZWw

f4FM1.png

Young Thug ICFN2 Curtains Ft. Shawty Lo & Skool Boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0JjtrCiXfA

Young thug mixtape "I Came From Nothing 2" also goes hard.

Disco man..... I always liked your taste. You'll snap out of it. I'm gonna chalk it up to the beat or something. It's alright man. You'll get through this.

lol it's definitely the beat and energy to it. MGK's not much of a rapper but he got lucky with this one, it's a party song.

No.. probably not man.

Disco, that Surkin track is infectious. Damn.

forreal, the whole album is 80s-90s dance music. Reminds me of Space Jam or some shit.

Oh man, I saw DEP a few years back. Greg Puciato climbed up to the rafters, and shit during their performance. It was crazy.

Yeah I saw them live a couple years ago. Greg Puciato is jacked and he gets in your face. I thought I was gonna get murked haha.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Figure I should do one of these since I want to start posting here more often...

Rank Kanye's albums
The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, MBDTF, 808s

Pick a coast to rep
East.

Pick a side in the Biggie/2Pac discussion
Pac.

Make a comparison between Khalifa and something soft
Dude is soft like that rich Corinithian leather.

Decide who you think won the Jay-Z/Nas beef.
Going with the old "Nas won the battle, Jay won the war".

Flocka or Royce?
I love Royce, but I've been getting into Flocka lately... so both?

What you think of J. Cole?
Liked his mixtapes.

Who is the best Wu-Tang member? (+optional: Rae vs. Ghost)
Ghost.

Can 2pac rap? (Or do Biggie got DAT FLOW?)
Biggie was probably a better rapper, but you can't fuck with Pac's raw emotion.

Rate Lupe on a scale of 1-10 (+ call him a dumbass for Lasers and political views)
6. Lasers was hot trash, but he hasn't quite fallen off yet.

Lil B? Genius or mentally challenged?
Probably more the latter, but with a reasonable ear for beats.

Pick an era of Eminem
Slim Shady LP-The Eminem Show.

How does Drake write such deep lyrics?
All that time in a wheelchair makes you introspective... or something(fuck Drake).

Is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production?
Nas can still kill it, but damn does his ear for production suck lately.

Joe Budden: Introspective and witty, or annoying emo fetus killing asshole?
Somewhere in the middle.

Also, top 10 of 2011:
Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4eva
Vakill - Armor of God
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Pharaohe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)
Thurz - L.A. Riot
The Roots - Undun
Kendrick Lamar - Section.80
Doomtree - No Kings
Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's
Action Bronson - Dr. Lecter

With that out of the way, I've been getting into more southern shit, can somebody tell me where to start with 8Ball & MJG?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Blah, blah, blah Wiz is softer that baby thighs hurr hurr I wish I had thought of Big Ghost's schtick first.

Kush & OJ was the shit. Fuck you.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Blah, blah, blah Wiz is softer that baby thighs hurr hurr I wish I had thought of Big Ghost's schtick first.

Kush & OJ was the shit. Fuck you.

I'm proud to say I was talking about Wiz's softness long before I had heard of Big Ghost.

And yes, I liked some of his older stuff, I'm talking several years ago, when his gimmick was "I'm from pittsburg, isn't that weird? Now listen to me drop a B grade verse over a great beat".
This Plane was the beginning of the end though.

siddx

Blackace, you're a damn fool for that poppy2 mix, friends loved it. When "Move it" came on I won't lie, I got hype lol. Listening now for the third time and I want to go out get drunk and dance.

I do have to say the "tempature remix ringdingdong thing with the high pitched asian sounding girls...no...bad ace bad hahaha. The only misstep you've made imo.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Blackace, you're a damn fool for that poppy2 mix, friends loved it. When "Move it" came on I won't lie, I got hype lol. Listening now for the third time and I want to go out get drunk and dance.

I do have to say the "tempature remix ringdingdong thing with the high pitched asian sounding girls...no...bad ace bad hahaha. The only misstep you've made imo.

ring ding ding by LOC? That's a dancehall riddim.. but in the club scenes here there is a dance for like you cranking a moped lol.

move it to pra yeah!!!! like passing the torch

Blackace

I'm talking about the general perception of him being the creator of the modern west coast sound.

umm.. I don't know about that. Quik is Quik... there is no other like him. Dre spawned a G-Funk era and a sound that he copied or others copped from him to make a movement..

siddx

Yeah regardless of how one might feel about Dre and having ghost producers and so on and so forth, the fact is he changed the say hip hop sounded. Everything after The Chronic sounds different. Not just the west coast rap either, it's like everyone went "well shit we need to step it up now".
Quik is a genius and the fucking man but trying to diminish the importance of Dre and the sound he created (even if he had help) is downright fucking foolish.

ace, yeah ring ding ding. It was hilarious, everyones grooving along to your mix and then that song comes on and everyone kind of stops what they are doing and looks at the computer like "what the fuck?" but 2 minutes later they were right back into it. But thats what I like about your mixes, you never know whats coming up next.

Blackace

Not a big fan of The Chronic but eh, Dre deserves his props. Even if he's been having people ghost write his shit for decades

He isn't a rapper.. never claimed to be. So what you are saying is meaningless.

Diddy said it best, "I don't write rhymes I write checks."

Blackace

man, half of the chronic is a classic. the other half is alright, i just fast forward it and then put on doggystyle.

lol I think Doggystyle is overlooked for the greatest westcoast album alot too..

Detox

I could never really get into Chronic those strings were not what I was expecting. One day it clicked with me and I put it above 2001 as a whole album now, those strings are amazing. My library is severely lacking g-funk what albums do I need to correct this?

Blackace

I could never really get into Chronic those strings were not what I was expecting. One day it clicked with me and I put it above 2001 as a whole album now, those strings are amazing. My library is severely lacking g-funk what albums do I need to correct this?

I want it all - Warren G

Funk upon a Rhyme - Kokane

Uncle Sam's Curse - Above the Law

Regulators - Warren G

Above The Rim Soundtrack - Various

OG Kush

umm.. I don't know about that. Quik is Quik... there is no other like him. Dre spawned a G-Funk era and a sound that he copied or others copped from him to make a movement..

man theres a lot of debate of who actually started the g-funk movement...
anyway some more g funk recommondations:
south central cartel - all day everyday
Compton's most wanted - music to driveby
Tha dogg pound - dogg food.
deathrow the lost sessions.

You know I kinda dismissed that Earl tune that dropped a few days ago, due to the beat mainly I think, and only listened once.
I just went back to it now and played it a couple of times and actually listened to what he was spitting and aside from the opening:

Self-loathing narcissist

Spitting crowbars out the back window of cars and shit

And acting like a klonopin, binge-hardening

Switching up the moniker of artists into arsonists

Knock-knock, it's that prodigal pen-throttle, bitch

Popping like the top of a bottle of hot JavaScript

Rhyme harder than nine joggers with

Shin splints dodging an ornery rhinoceros

He has some other crazy lines in there:

Ponder how we can holler then spit darker

Than Gotham at six bars in the genre then lick shots

At imposters and miss nada, volatile pig brawler

Is hotter than lit parliament, send in your fucking army

In the parking lot of a Target, I'm targeted, piss-harboring

Heart dark as that thick parka I slip markers in

Holla if you've never been a starter

Spartan kicking jocks and tossing salt at their Ed Hardy shit

Burning chops, talking shit, rocking 28's on a rocket ship

Alpha male, got the chicken losing in his cruising trunks

Losers get an Akuma punch, keep it moving like a puma's lunch

I hate pre-hyping shit, but I really think his (eventual) album could really be something amazing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I know what you've been thinking GAF-Hop. Weren't satisfied with Jeezy's I Do huh? Jay didn't do it for you? Perhaps 3 stacks sounded like he phoned it in? And you thought to yourself, you know what would make this song perfect? A verse from Drake! OFCOURSE! Well your wish is granted!!

Blackace

man theres a lot of debate of who actually started the g-funk movement...
anyway some more g funk recommondations:
south central cartel - all day everyday
Compton's most wanted - music to driveby
Tha dogg pound - dogg food.
deathrow the lost sessions.

regardless who started it.. Dre took places no one else could

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom