• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I still haven't found the appeal of Big Sean.

I have never rapped a bar in my life. But I listen to Big Sean and think "I could do this."

He's an inspiration to shitty rappers everywhere. Every fool who ever thought putting together "lady" and "crazy" made them ill looks up to Big Sean.

Could anything possibly top a new track from Drake!?
Well, how about Big Sean + J Dilla!

Big-Sean-&

BOI!

Sean's verse was terrible. The beat was the only redeeming part, and this is coming from someone who doesn't hate Big Sean like 95% of the people here

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Allowing Big Sean to soil a Dilla track should be punishable by hip hop death (aka doing a duet album with Ja Rule where he only sings...followed by being suffocated by Rick Ross's man titties).

I have never rapped a bar in my life. But I listen to Big Sean and think "I could do this."

He's an inspiration to shitty rappers everywhere. Every fool who ever thought putting together "lady" and "crazy" made them ill looks up to Big Sean.

Juelz Santana is also fucking notorious for his monosyllabic, simple shit. I cant even hate on that man though, he's all heart.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He makes that muthafucka hammer time?

Also I'm ashamed to admit this....I felt Aubrey's bars on I Do. =\
Drake's verse on I Do was far better than Jay's at least.

Andre's has grown on me, but I still dislike the song overall.

EDIT: What was the consensus on Luda's 1.21 Gigawatts?

Juelz Santana is also fucking notorious for his monosyllabic, simple shit. I cant even hate on that man though, he's all heart.

I remember when "What The Game's Been Missing" came out and everyone was hyping Santana and I felt like I was crazy or something. Like, I was the only one who thought "This dude is rapping the same words together, 3/4 times..." How am I the only one who notices this and calls him out on it?!

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Have any GAF hoppers not listened to UGK Ridin' Dirty all the way through?

I'm just curious. Also, what's the head count on 8Ball & MJG On Top of the World?

Ridin' Dirty is fucking excellent. It is my favourite UGK album and on some days I feel like One Day off of that album is the greatest rap song ever recorded.

On Top Of The World is also a great album. I think someone asked earlier where they should start with 8Ball and MJG albums and On Top would be a great pick but my personal favourite from them is probably their debut album Coming Out Hard. My only problem with that album is that its pretty damn short at 9 tracks but it's hard to argue with the quality of those nine and Pimps in particular is a stunning, lush sounding track portraying the cold blooded nature one would need to be a pimp. Big Pimpin' it certainly isn't.

Speaking of southern rapping duos, Kam you ever heard anything by Dirty? They're a duo out of Alabama consisting of cousins Big Pimp and Mr G. Stacka The Gangster. I've only got round to listening to their second album The Pimp And The Gangsta so far but I was liking it a lot. Here is a link to a video for the first single off of that album

Dirty - Rolling Vogues

Sorry as ironically this isn't the Dirty version of the song but if you like it it's easy enough to find the explicit one on youtube and the video is magnificent so that one is fun to watch.

Another southern rapping duo I don't really seem to encounter people talking about is Betta Half. They are also out of Alabama (what can I say, I like alabama's hip hop scene) and they have a few albums out that are well worth your time. Here is the first song from their most recent album which is called AWOL.

Betta Half - Introduce Myself

Above The Law are the creators of the modern west coast sound.

While this is true to a large extent (They dropped 2 albums before Dr Dre unleashed The Chronic on the unwashed masses) this comment mostly made me think of what, if there is one so called west coast sound, it is and I realised that I don't think i've ever come across any love for the production of DJ Fresh in this thread. This is something I feel needs to be rectified immediately although it's understandable I guess as apart from a couple of icons like say E-40 or Too $hort who have had some crossover nationwide success, the Bay area is kind of an insular, self sustaining scene.

DJ Fresh has produced for several Bay rappers and his tonite show series of tapes has helped to get some a lot more attention than they previously had. Or at the least a lot more attention from myself lol. He was also Nas's tour DJ at one point which is besides the point but whatever. Anyways he often utilises 1980s soul samples in his work and is comfortable making beats ranging from minimal percussion heavy slappers to more richly textured fare. Here are 20 songs he has produced from the past few years that i've enjoyed and were on youtube so if you been sleeping WAKE THE FUCK UP!

Cousin Fik - Pow

Mitchy Slick ft. Strong Arm Steady - New BMW

Shady Nate - Gimme The Loot (HD is featured on the album version of this song as well but i'm trying to pull out links for official videos where possible. My guess is that HD was in jail at the time of this videoshoot or something. He goes to jail quite a bit unfortunately)

J. Stalin - If I Fall Down

Yukmouth - Sippin' On Don

Beeda Weeda - Baserock Babies

Young Gully - Definition Of Gas

Keak Da Sneak - Maxi Pads

HD ft. G-Dirty & B-Stroll - Black Politics

Shady Nate ft. Thrill, Jay Jonah & Phishscale Mack - It's Da M.A.F.I.A.

J. Stalin - Can't Stay

Beeda Weeda - Wit' Da Shit

Cousin Fik ft. Shady Nate & B-Legit - Show 'Em Wassup

T-Nutty - Criptonite

Killa Keise - Gun Ride

Kool G Rap - G Rap Stories

J. Stalin ft. Stevie Joe - Dead Presidents

Young Gully - David (The Script)

Philthy Rich ft. The Livewire Gang - On The Wire

J. Stalin ft. Dotrix 4000 & Gary Hawkins - I'm Yo' Pusher Man

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
While this is true to a large extent (They dropped 2 albums before Dr Dre unleashed The Chronic on the unwashed masses) this comment mostly made me think of what, if there is one so called west coast sound, it is and I realised that I don't think i've ever come across any love for the production of DJ Fresh in this thread. This is something I feel needs to be rectified immediately although it's understandable I guess as apart from a couple of icons like say E-40 or Too $hort who have had some crossover nationwide success, the Bay area is kind of an insular, self sustaining scene.

Again Cold187um wrote for Ruthless and E for years.. Above The Law gets overlooked way too much.

Dilla tributes were played the fuck out four years ago. They still are.

On a side note I find it interesting that no one talks about how poorly some of Dilla's stuff was received at the time. Let's not forget people revolted at Beats Rhymes and Life. Today many people regarded it as the underrated classic it is, but back then folks weren't fucking with that. Same with Q-Tip's first solo album, and of course Labcabincalifornia

TheOddOne

On a side note I find it interesting that no one talks about how poorly some of Dilla's stuff was received at the time. Let's not forget people revolted at Beats Rhymes and Life. Today many people regarded it as the underrated classic it is, but back then folks weren't fucking with that. Same with Q-Tip's first solo album, and of course Labcabincalifornia
I think Don Cannon is a better producer then Dilla.

siddx

Drake isn't allowed in here either, but people keep breaking the rules.

Tokubetsu

I'm not trying to shit on dude or anything, but I always thought Donuts is pretty much the best thing he's done outside a few other projects here there (See: Some killer Slum Village tracks). He was thought he was a more focused Madlib (As in, not afflicted with stoner ADD like madlib seems to be) but madlibs highs have always been way higher and his catalog far more interesting. I think J was getting there though, what with the way internet was changing the way we experience music and how artists deliver/start and work on projects. That is the most tragic thing about his death. What could have been, not what he was.

Jaylib fucking sucks.

siddx

Dilla made way more shitty boring sound a like beats than he made great ones. But he did indeed make some great ones. He would have benefited from being more selective about what beats he gave out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom