• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiResDes said:
apollo_brown-and-hassaan_mackey-daily-bread-cover-260x260.jpg

...There's no way I could leave it out of my top ten.

Me and the HiResa connect...damn I was re-listening to it last night and came to the same conclusion. I was a bit cold on it when it first came out, finding the rapping to be too off kilter, flow wise. With more listens it definitely gets better. Production is dope too

Detox: I like the production Kendrick has now. It's lush, often jazzy, sometimes boom bap; it's a melting pot of hip hop history. I'm not interested in hearing him rap over generic Dre piano work with strings thrown in. Meh. TBH I'm not interested in anyone rapping over Dre shit

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PD summed it up best.. Except for that disrespect for Dre shit. Kendrick's production right now helps his act a lot. It's helping build his identity before he's thrown into the Knoc' Turn Al bin. Which is inevitable.

Detox

enzo_gt said:
Yeah, I think that's the idea. I wasn't aware though.. Kendrick is putting out a street album thing with Dre in the near future?

Slim's War Music is executively produced by Snoop and Dre though.. /triestocreatehope

I dont even know if I would like Kendrick on Dre beats, he has enough trouble going over hard beats. Eh, his flow has got better otherwise though, maybe it'll be alright.
I don't think Kendrick got a street album with Dre. Kendrick is just waiting playing the waiting game that everyone who has been waiting for Detox is, hopefully he doesn't rot away at Aftermath. I didn't know the Slim album coming out soon is exec produced by Dre and Snoop that puts it on my radar.

I agree Kendrick doesn't seem like he is suited to what you would expect from a Dre beat. Then again Dre may have signed Kendrick to get himself to produce some different kind of sounds which could be good.

siddx said:
Rittz, Random Axe, Revolution of the Mind, Phonte, Mike Schpitz, Cunninlynguists, Green Street, Grieves, G-Eazy, E-40, DJ Quik, Apathy, Big Krit, Atmosphere, Hail Mary Mallon, and Dessa have all had more enjoyable projects this year. Although I'd put Section 80 in my top 20 of the year.

Oh and Jay Rock's album was better.
Damn, I forgot all about that G-Easy....I knew that coverart seemed familiar. I didn't know you dig Phonte album that much either. Some of those I'm honestly just barely now getting too like Rittz and Apathy, plus I'm kind of broke too.

You hurtin me tho by saying Jay rock's album was better tho man, I'll let it pass tho, because I do bump that album a lot still.

RJT

I agree with most that was said about Kendrick. Production on Section80 is amazing, his flow is weird, Schoolboy is a better MC but section 80 is the better album, Spiteful Chant is fucking stupid, Spiteful Chant is fucking awesome.

All of the above is true.

My top 10 contenders so far: Oneirology (clearly no. 1), Goblin, Cole World, Apathy, Section 80, and yes, I have to say Watch the Throne. I'm not proud of it, but I like the album.

iavi

I'm going through Ambition now, and it's sounding alright so far. Production is on point at times. Issue is, is this dude trying to sound like fucking J Cole 'Legendary'? Trying to echo a dude with no identity, lol.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Tguy said:
Damn, I forgot all about that G-Easy....I knew that coverart seemed familiar. I didn't know you dig Phonte album that much either. Some of those I'm honestly just barely now getting too like Rittz and Apathy, plus I'm kind of broke too.

You hurtin me tho by saying Jay rock's album was better tho man, I'll let it pass tho, because I do bump that album a lot still.

I just enjoyed more songs off Jay Rock's album. Simple as that. Lamar had higher highs (spiteful chant for instance) but Jay had more songs I enjoyed.

PhoenixDark said:
Is it confirmed Kendrick is on Aftermath?

I was under the impression it was but I may be wrong.

Macca

siddx said:
I just enjoyed more songs off Jay Rock's album. Simple as that. Lamar had higher highs (spiteful chant for instance) but Jay had more songs I enjoyed.
C'mon, everyone can tell you just prefered Jay Rocks album because it had more Will.i.am.

Detox

I don't think he is signed to Aftermath, probably playing it safe you don't want to be one of those guys who have been there for years making hundreds of songs then leave with nothing. He just knows how valuable it is to have your album produced by Dre so he is going to wait. He did recently say Detox was being mixed and Snoop said it was almost done so he will probably wait. Features on Detox will raise his profile so he is sticking close to Dre / aftermath.

siddx

Macca007 said:
C'mon, everyone can tell you just prefered Jay Rocks album because it had more Will.i.am.

Did it really? I honestly had no idea he was on the album.

Macca

siddx said:
Did it really? I honestly had no idea he was on the album.
Just that one song at the end with Wayne.

To best honest I definitely preferred Jay Rocks album as well. Lamar is the better lyricist but I really couldn't get into his voice. I much preferred the beats on Follow Me Home as well, some of that shit hit hard.

siddx

Macca007 said:
Just that one song at the end with Wayne.

To best honest I definitely preferred Jay Rocks album as well. Lamar is the better lyricist but I really couldn't get into his voice. I much preferred the beats on Follow Me Home as well, some of that shit hit hard.

I don't think I've ever actually listened to the last two songs lol

Macca007 said:
I still haven't listened to Setbacks. Will definitely listen to it before I decide on my albums of the year.

Setbacks is the best of the black hippy releases.

I liked Follow Me Home too, it's mad underrated. The inclusion of "Say Wassup" is enough to make it a fun album, he should get Gangsta Gibbs on a track.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tguy said:
Nah, I think he said he hasn't decided yet what major label he'll go to.
I thought he was just going to rock with TDE but.. definitely Aftermath. Where else would he go?

Unless he's smart and knows Aftermath will get him nowhere, but I doubt it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just listened to that undun single. So good. The description of what the album is about is really interesting too, really left field.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Tguy said:
There's already a sign of that happening! Kendrick Lamar did a song with mack maine and birdman
For fucks sake. His sound dosent flow with birdman at all. Why the fuck would he do anything with him. I don't care about mac cz he's just gonna get on the mic for like 3 secs just to say somthing half assed like , his own name or,"wosh". Then never show up again.

Ovid

Really feelin Wale's album. Thought it was okay on the first listen. Listened to it the next day and loved it. He's still my favorite rapper.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Throavium said:
Pusha T's Fear of God II is kind of underwhelming.

MF DOOM interview, Nov 4th

the middle half is, but the first half and the last coupel tracks are rad as fuck.

also, fuck DOOM, still haven't forgiven him for those shows he sent a double in for. I'd punch him in the chops if I ever saw him.

Complex Shadow said:
Well most of gaf hop says that it's better after you listen to it a few more times.
*grumbles*

I'll give it a fair 3x through, but on first listen its offensively distant from Wale up to now. Most songs feel throw-away. They don't have the same personal feel and intimacy that he's been so known for. Boring, boring, boring content...with a side of "meh" beats. His delivery has never been stellar, so it was always the deep, introspective thoughts that made him nice to listen to. Ugh.

Edit: Just finished #11 and it's the only song I'd really want to hear again. That's a bit more like it, but the "yelling" delivery doesn't work for him or for me as a listener. Hook is annoying. Again, delivery is hard to listen to.

Complex Shadow said:
I stopped after the first run. I know I should listen to it more. But I don't care ..... I just don't care.
Yea, definitely doesn't seem like a keeper album at all. What was Wale thinking? And the "Maybach Music" shit on the first 4 or 5 songs was like the clear slap in the face to let you know this dude is brand new.

Just a couple weeks until Common though, right? WIN.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Dreams-Visions said:
Yea, definitely doesn't seem like a keeper album at all. What was Wale thinking? And the "Maybach Music" shit on the first 4 or 5 songs was like the clear slap in the face to let you know this dude is brand new.

Just a couple weeks until Common though, right? WIN.
I know. Can't wait. Blue sky has me hyped.

Cedric

Throavium said:
Pusha T's Fear of God II is kind of underwhelming.

MF DOOM interview, Nov 4th

Hahahahaha is it just me or is this such an awkward interview? From the head bobbing, the long Beef Rapp intro, the audience shots and DOOM seeming really uncomfortable/half-awake. Man, I only saw the first 6 minutes but that was funny as hell.

Throavium

Cedric said:
Hahahahaha is it just me or is this such an awkward interview? From the head bobbing, the long Beef Rapp intro, the audience shots and DOOM seeming really uncomfortable/half-awake. Man, I only saw the first 6 minutes but that was funny as hell.
If you watch the entire interview, you might come to the same conclusion that I came to, is that it may just be his natural personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom