• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

DominoKid said:
"He wears a mask just to cover the raw flesh
A rather ugly brother with flows that's gorgeous"

That's why he wears it.

edit: as a DOOM stan (bet you didn't know that my dude) this RBMA interview is straight fap material to me.
i've always seen people talk about these videos but i've never actually sat down and watched them

I know I'm incredibly late and should be shunned for it, but I'm gonna try him out. I watched that whole Young Guru lecture that was posted and he spoke highly of him too. I'll admit his image through me off.

overcast

Hieberrr said:
Can someone please explain to me why Odd Future is so popular? I've listened to some of their tracks and have watched some of their performances on YouTube.... What the fuck. The content is ridiculously bad. There seems to be no sense of rhythm and ... yeah.. the content :S
Earl can spit well, Mellowhype had a good album, and I think Tyler is pretty damn solid. They aren't great, but they have potential. Definitely overhyped.

The reason they are popular, I would say is because the teenage kids see them as people like themselves. They like to "rebel". OF has a cool image and they aren't "mainstream". So there you go. I've lived in a suburban mostly white area for the last 4 years, all the skater kids admire Tyler.

CRS

I've mentioned it before but DOOM is a like him or not kind of guy. Personally, I'm a big fan. Doomsday is one of the best rap songs of all time.

GamerSoul

overcast said:
The reason they are popular, I would say is because the teenage kids see them as people like themselves. They like to "rebel". OF has a cool image and they aren't "mainstream". So there you go. I've lived in a suburban mostly white area for the last 4 years, all the skater kids admire Tyler.

Basically this. They're free spirited, different and they don't care one bit. I'm not a big fan but I find some songs are pretty good. My little brother, 14, loves them and won't stop putting that that random stuff on my ipod and touch. >:{

ChldRebelSoldr said:
I've mentioned it before but DOOM is a like him or not kind of guy. Personally, I'm a big fan. Doomsday is one of the best rap songs of all time.

I just downloaded a short mix on datpiff and so far I'm liking the music. Nothing like I expected.

Esch

Banned
Hieberrr said:
Can someone please explain to me why Odd Future is so popular? I've listened to some of their tracks and have watched some of their performances on YouTube.... What the fuck. The content is ridiculously bad. There seems to be no sense of rhythm and ... yeah.. the content :S
i dont think they're ridiculously bad. I do think their careers are built on sand though. I dont see them putting anything game changing or real interesting out there ever to be honest. Earl might sandwich himself into something good if he leaves those tools.

Tokubetsu

Hieberrr said:

Odd Future is popular, because you a hater.

OF popularity baffles me, but not as much as Doom's

but to each their own

after several listens I'm pretty let down by Machete Vision, production is solid but not great, and Marq Spekt is kinda boring

DominoKid

GodfatherX said:
OF popularity baffles me, but not as much as Doom's

but to each their own

after several listens I'm pretty let down by Machete Vision, production is solid but not great, and Marq Spekt is kinda boring

I'm biased because other than Kanye, DOOM is the most influential artist to my development as a hip hop fan. One of the few artist's i'll straight stan out for.

DOOM is...literally the most clever and hilarious rapper I've ever heard. I think the reason why his fans love him, aside from the fact that he's a pretty good producer, is because of how he can twist simple phrases into some incredibly dope shit but he'll do it in a roundabout way. DOOM can tell you water is wet without you noticing it. He's one of the few rappers whose ability actually impresses me. You hear it and you realize the difficulty of his writing style.

I still pick up lines of his from 5+ years ago that I finally understand. You have to really be on your shit to pick up what he's talking about.

DOOM ain't for everybody though. I think the main thing that a lot of people don't like about him is that he sounds like disregards the beat and just ramble flows. I hear that a lot.

He's also a bit of a sketchy person. The DOOMposter issue rubbed a lot of people the wrong way although I thought it was hilarious and unintentionally in character. Or maybe it was intentional I can see why people would be mad about it though.

If ever an underground rapper had a claim for the GOAT, DOOM's your guy. I'll put his abilities and discography against anybody.

CRS

DominoKid said:
I'm biased because other than Kanye, DOOM is the most influential artist to my development as a hip hop fan. One of the few artist's i'll straight stan out for.

DOOM is...literally the most clever and hilarious rapper I've ever heard. I think the reason why his fans love him, aside from the fact that he's a pretty good producer, is because of how he can twist simple phrases into some incredibly dope shit but he'll do it in a roundabout way. DOOM can tell you water is wet without you noticing it. He's one of the few rappers whose ability actually impresses me. You hear it and you realize the difficulty of his writing style.

I still pick up lines of his from 5+ years ago that I finally understand. You have to really be on your shit to pick up what he's talking about.

DOOM ain't for everybody though. I think the main thing that a lot of people don't like about him is that he sounds like disregards the beat and just ramble flows. I hear that a lot.

He's also a bit of a sketchy person. The DOOMposter issue rubbed a lot of people the wrong way although I thought it was hilarious and unintentionally in character. Or maybe it was intentional I can see why people would be mad about it though.

If ever an underground rapper had a claim for the GOAT, DOOM's your guy. I'll put his abilities and discography against anybody.
+1 This entire post is on point. I think it's the first time I actually agree with you.

One of my favorite examples of him twisting simple phrases has to be

"Some Mer Fer's don't like how Sally walk.
I'll tell y'all fools it's hella cool how ladies from Cali talk."

Cracks me up every time I listen to it.

Throavium

DominoKid said:

Truth

overcast

coldvein said:
anyone been able to give dessa's "castor, the twin" a good listen yet? think it just officialy came out..
Yup, listened to it a while back. Really damn good. Probably less "hip-hoppy" if that makes any sense. Her voice has greatly improved. Beekeeper is an awesome song.

CRS

coldvein said:
anyone been able to give dessa's "castor, the twin" a good listen yet? think it just officialy came out..
Yep! Great album and the re-arrangements are top notch. One of my favorite releases this year and it's been out for a month now.

coldvein

Banned
a MONTH!?! man, where the fuck have i been.. i'm supposed to be representing doomtree on here and i'm a month late.. tears coming down my face right now.

i've heard a couple of the tracks - obviously not traditional hiphop, but really pretty.. is there a version of "mineshaft" on there?

edit: alright, found it on utubes. this is me officially handing in my doomtree fan card. sorry guys.

overcast

Lol. I'm honestly shocked you didn't listen to it dude.

That's like me not defending Lupe/Cole, PD not talking about Tupac's dick (no homo), Kampsy not riding around in mini vans bumping Lasers, and Gaf-Hop not showing love to Waka.

IrishNinja

Overthrow it like throwing over a biscuit/A lot of bitches think he overly chauvinistic
let go his dick if that's the case/rats want to waste, there's more cats to chase

yeah, DOOM can spit something clever that slides by me sometimes, but more often than not, what impresses me is the wordplay on some simple shit like "madman never go pop, like snot bubbles" that he just makes work with his flow. on a different plane entirely, but Redman does this to me all the time - dude can be talking about nothing at all, and i'm digging it. shit like "lift the band-aid, you see red in the cut" catches me off guard and i gotta rewind that shit, that's the kinda thing DOOM does to me sometimes too.

obligatory: Mos on MF

coldvein

Banned
overcast said:
Lol. I'm honestly shocked you didn't listen to it dude.

That's like me not defending Lupe/Cole, PD not talking about Tupac's dick (no homo), Kampsy not riding around in mini vans bumping Lasers, and Gaf-Hop not showing love to Waka.

me too, man. me too. if we can't count on coldvein being up on the new DT releases, we can at least always count on kamspy driving his minivan around.. .... fuck

DominoKid

ChldRebelSoldr said:
+1 This entire post is on point. I think it's the first time I actually agree with you.

One of my favorite examples of him twisting simple phrases has to be

Cracks me up every time I listen to it.

Haha DOOM's a remnant of the days when I mostly listened to underground rap. I kept up w/ the big releases but few of them made my regular rotation. The "me" of back then (04-08) would've been all over the random stuff that gets posted in these threads.

If you would've told me then that I'd end up liking what I'd do now, I would've laughed in your face. The flip is that I can't believe some of the shit I convinced myself was good for the sake of being "different."

overcast

coldvein said:
as self punishment i'm listening to her original "mineshaft" track. what a killer. jesus.
That fucking part where she starts spitting fast makes me go insane every time. Also she sings the chorus beautifully on this album.

coldvein

Banned
overcast said:
That fucking part where she starts spitting fast makes me go insane every time. Also she sings the chorus beautifully on this album.

yeah, it's pretty gat dang amazing. makes my heart sink every time.

edit: even before she starts chopping shit up quick it's blatantly apparent that she's a better writer than 99 percent of the dudes in hiphop.

RJT

ChldRebelSoldr said:
I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. I'm either not smart enough or not american enough for Doom (probably the latter, since I'm pretty smart).

IrishNinja

9th is indeed awesome, wonder what he's got in mind for his 10th?
Electric Circus revisited

Baconbitz said:
This is why I've been listening to Rock recently. For shame Busta.

man, Busta's like nardwuar - the man fucks with everyone at some point, it's part of his legacy.
in the past, ill admit there's some guest spots id shake my head at - but you know? he's one of the very few OG's that consistently stays relevant while most of the other dudes i love have to tour together for gas money and stay alive on royalties.

IrishNinja said:
9th is indeed awesome, wonder what he's got in mind for his 10th?
Electric Circus revisited
That would be awesome. I just finally listened to it when you guys brought it up a few weeks ago. Absolutely loved it. I kind of feel like, if it had come out a few years later than when it did, people would have been a little more accepting of it.

kamspy

So kam's got bad taste, yet I'm not the one bringing that Nickelback / Rhymesayers rap to the forum. smh.

So I've been reading the Sonic Generations threads over in the gaming forum and listening to Ambition. Now, for some godforsaken reason whenever I listen to the Cudi hook on Focused I picture that scary ass "Gotta go fast" Sonic MSPaint art. wtf.

ASAP Rocky has been growing on me more. His collection of influences is very unique and really mimic a lot of my own (Houston + Bone Thugs + 201x swag rap). Pretty cool tape.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kamspy said:
So kam's got bad taste, yet I'm not the one bringing that Nickelback / Rhymesayers rap to the forum. smh.

These two things are not connected. How the hell do you hate Rhymesayers? I can't even fathom that one...

WanderingWind said:
These two things are not connected. How the hell do you hate Rhymesayers? I can't even fathom that one...

When my old roommate listened to rap it was exclusively Rhymesayers. He would play their shit OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.
Now I can't fucking stand them.

coldvein

Banned
overcast said:
Earl can spit well, Mellowhype had a good album, and I think Tyler is pretty damn solid. They aren't great, but they have potential. Definitely overhyped.

so is OF like a modern day eminem? :D

WanderingWind

Pinko Marx said:
When my old roommate listened to rap it was exclusively Rhymesayers. He would play their shit OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

Well, it's not like the individual acts under the label (or the new stuff since your traumatic experience) sound alike or anything. I mean, sure, you should have pitched your roomie off the rooftop, but....

coldvein said:

I know you're joking, but...well, yeah.

IrishNinja

damn, i used to hate when roomies would do that shit. one of them discovered KRS and played rapture's delight a few times a day - it was hot shit when we were setting up the subwoofers, but i dont always wanna be that hyped. fuck that kid.

kamspy

coldvein said:

No. Em's underground career didn't go so well. It wasn't until Jimmy Iovine took him to an illuminati meeting and they brainwashed him to be their robot that he became popular. He's also a lizard.

coldvein

Banned
Pinko Marx said:

you know rhymesayers isn't a group, right..?
rhymesayers is eyedea and abilities, atmosphere, grieves + budo, brother ali, blueprint, POS, MF DOOM.. if you can't stand rhymesayers you can't stand rap.

coldvein

Banned
kamspy said:
No. Em's underground career didn't go so well. It wasn't until Jimmy Iovine took him to an illuminati meeting and they brainwashed him to be their robot that he became popular. He's also a lizard.

i'm familiar with your theory on this.. and it's the only case in which i can say the illuminati did something right. brainwashed a white kid into being one of the best MC's of all time.

kamspy

coldvein said:
rhymesayers is eyedea and abilities, atmosphere, grieves + budo, brother ali, blueprint, POS, MF DOOM.. if you can't stand rhymesayers you can't stand rap.

Then I'll revise my post to mean Nickelback / Atmosphere.

coldvein said:

they're a record label, I know.
Let me specify then. He'd listen only to Atmosphere, Brother Ali, & Mac Lethal. All day everydamn day when he wasn't blasting some shitty rock song crying about girls or Christian folk music (which, oddly enough, was the most tolerable thing).
This isn't rhymesayers but he had this shit on repeat for a week. NONSTOP. It hurt to listen to it even now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ

WanderingWind

Pinko Marx said:
they're a record label, I know.
Let me specify then. He'd listen only to Atmosphere, Brother Ali, & Mac Lethal. All day everydamn day when he wasn't blasting some shitty rock song crying about girls or Christian folk music (which, oddly enough, was the most tolerable thing).
This isn't rhymesayers but he had this shit on repeat for a week. NONSTOP. It hurt to listen to it even now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ

..Everlast...is that you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom