• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Detox said:
So enzo is saying Pac is hard because his music is battle raps covering ignorant ass topics or am I reading it wrong?
Nah Pac strikes a perfect middleground between the two polarizing ends unlike any other rapper. He made hard shit and he made irreplicatable introspective shit at different stages of his life. Few rappers have that duality.

Recon

Banned
Its honestly come to a point where i disregard someones post if they use the term "soft" as a description. In my opinion it shows ignorance and/or stupidity. Is Wiz garbage? Yes, soft? No, just because he chooses to rap about women, thats fine. Music has been about females for ages. Problems with women is something most men have in common.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Nah Pac strikes a perfect middleground between the two polarizing ends unlike any other rapper. He made hard shit and he made irreplicatable introspective shit at different stages of his life. Few rappers have that duality.

Shit, Kampsy would of called Pac soft if he came out now. Dude studied poetry,jazz,and ballet. I just fucking hate that moniker. If you dont rap about guns and drugs you are considered soft. The Hip-hop community needs to change its whole attitude.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tguy said:
I got my finger on a muthafuckin pistol
Aiming it at a pig, charlotte's web is goin to miss you

Those lyrics are from what you say is a soft song? Kind of questions if you listen to what he's talking about man and if you see why people consider Drake and other rappers soft.

Now about you trying to make a point that the terms are meaningless.....I don't think they are that meaningless, because either way if we say instead that Drake is emotional or something instead of soft, people will still most likely use it as a joke against him. I think it's more like people should accept the term "soft, and not use them as a way to put rappers down. I mean we all listen to "soft" music every now and then anyway. I don't think everything has to be labeled either hard or soft though, that's just silly.
What I'm saying is, there is a distinction, but it's not related to quality of music. Recon dislikes these terms because he can't make that distinction. The concepts exist, and you can distinguish people who are hard and soft from their subject matter. Kendricks never lifted a gun in his life, the line is a metaphor, something artists of every genre use to try and convey shit.

I guess it's cause soft has a negative connotation, perhaps in a dismissive sense, but I look at it more as an image and subject matter. Rapper's images in general are highly polarizing, that's why we have these terms in the first place. But if they're used to distinguish two different "kinds" of music, that more ignorant kind of careless party music, and say deeper, more introspective stuff, then I can see their application. If there are better synonyms for this distinction that remove the connotation, I'm all for it, but good luck forcefully removing lingo from the culture. Maybe you can keep the words instead and change the connotation. Most of the time soft is thrown around just to describe someone who's trying to be someone they're not.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Cant speak for anyone else, but for me soft isn't when a rapper talks about emotions or women. I have no problem with that, I mean shit I'm an atmosphere fan. Soft is when they talk about women in a boring, uninteresting, stereotypical way that says nothing but "I figured out that selling music to women is what will get me rich." Roll up is soft as fuck. It's an anthem to being pussy whipped by a gold digging whore. 90% of Drake's songs are soft as fuck, just him mumbling on the mic about how much he wants to suck some girls toes and buy her dinner. It's pointless bullshit that makes the rapper seem pathetic. If your going to talk about emotions or girls, how about not talking about it like a 13 year old girl would. Lamar managed to on his album.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
What I'm saying is, there is a distinction, but it's not related to quality of music. Recon dislikes these terms because he can't make that distinction. The concepts exist, and you can distinguish people who are hard and soft from their subject matter. Kendricks never lifted a gun in his life, the line is a metaphor, something artists of every genre use to try and convey shit.

I guess it's cause soft has a negative connotation, perhaps in a dismissive sense, but I look at it more as an image and subject matter. Rapper's images in general are highly polarizing, that's why we have these terms in the first place. But if they're used to distinguish two different "kinds" of music, that more ignorant kind of careless party music, and say deeper, more introspective stuff, then I can see their application. If there are better synonyms for this distinction that remove the connotation, I'm all for it, but good luck forcefully removing lingo from the culture. Maybe you can keep the words instead and change the connotation. Most of the time soft is thrown around just to describe someone who's trying to be someone they're not.

I dislike the term because of what it implies. I understand the use of the word. I understand it is not necessarily being dismissive. Smarten up kid. I call bullshit on the word because it is used negatively 90% if the time. If you arent using it negatively, then fine, but just because you believe in your head that you are using it correctly doesnt mean that translates to others that way. It is all about how the word is perceived in the hip hop community. As it stands right now, being called soft is generally used as an insult. Case in point, Big Ghost blog and all his fan girls.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
Cant speak for anyone else, but for me soft isn't when a rapper talks about emotions or women. I have no problem with that, I mean shit I'm an atmosphere fan. Soft is when they talk about women in a boring, uninteresting, stereotypical way that says nothing but "I figured out that selling music to women is what will get me rich." Roll up is soft as fuck. It's an anthem to being pussy whipped by a gold digging whore. 90% of Drake's songs are soft as fuck, just him mumbling on the mic about how much he wants to suck some girls toes and buy her dinner. It's pointless bullshit that makes the rapper seem pathetic. If your going to talk about emotions or girls, how about not talking about it like a 13 year old girl would. Lamar managed to on his album.

I agree with this in a way. Atmosphere would be called soft by a lot of people. Does Drake pander to females maybe too much? Yup. But i feel if you open yourself up to doubt and emotions in hip hop, you get labeled soft and that is what im against.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I dislike the term because of what it implies. I understand the use of the word. I understand it is not necessarily being dismissive. Smarten up kid. I call bullshit on the word because it is used negatively 90% if the time. If you arent using it negatively, then fine, but just because you believe in your head that you are using it correctly doesnt mean that translates to others that way. It is all about how the word is perceived in the hip hop community. As it stands right now, being called soft is generally used as an insult. Case in point, Big Ghost blog and all his fan girls.
I'm aware it has a negative connotation, that's why I mentioned it, but at that then I'm not sure why you take an issue with my view on the word if the best you can do is trying to change the connotation unless there is some sort of master plan to get everyone to suddenly stop using it. Lingo in hip hop never dies, it just takes a back seat and reemerges a few years later.

When I think about soft I think about a rapper who pushes no boundaries, just cookie cutter stuff that is uninteresting/boring.

It's not about someone who doesn't talk about killing people and being a drug lord or whatever, it's more about just putting out music that comes off as safe.

For example, 808s from Kanye to me isn't soft, he pushes boundaries and went for an interesting direction whether people thought it was good or bad.

Other spectrum, the new Drake. Nothing interesting, some decent tracks but very safe and a lot of repeating. Some tracks are so damn identical. Definition to me of a soft album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBelong2Us said:
When I think about soft I think about a rapper who pushes no boundaries, just cookie cutter stuff that is uninteresting/boring.

It's not about someone who doesn't talk about killing people and being a drug lord or whatever, it's more about just putting out music that comes off as safe.
Isn't that more of what hipster means? Someone who just follows the flow for the sake of it?

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I'm aware it has a negative connotation, that's why I mentioned it, but at that then I'm not sure why you take an issue with my view on the word if the best you can do is trying to change the connotation unless there is some sort of master plan to get everyone to suddenly stop using it. Lingo in hip hop never dies, it just takes a back seat and reemerges a few years later.

Well, the word Faggot is dying off. Super prevalent in the 90's and early 00's. Now, not so much except with artists from that era. Things do change. The thing is, there is nothing positive with the word soft, so its hard to change its connotation. I understand where you are coming from, but i just do not think it will work.

Hey great great album about women that I think is really well done. That Tiron & Ayomari A Sucker for Pumps

Edit: To me, soft, is basically what Siddix said, so that's why it was kind of hard for me to believe you think that Kendrick Lamar is soft(Though, I know you were trying to make a point), enzo in case you were wondering.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
Well, the word Faggot is dying off. Super prevalent in the 90's and early 00's. Now, not so much except with artists from that era. Things do change. The thing is, there is nothing positive with the word soft, so its hard to change its connotation. I understand where you are coming from, but i just do not think it will work.
Yeah it isn't easy, but otherwise I don't see any way it will just go away. Shit is kind of ingrained, to the point where plenty of people outside of hip hop use it casually. Maybe the fact that discussion is taking place is a testament to change. A year or two ago and I'm pretty sure soft was a purely negative term.

Like I said, most of my favorite artists are soft. Maybe the increasing amount of successful "soft" rappers will change the connotation in itself.

@Tguy, I would also say that discrepancy in definitions may be some indication of change. I just don't group KL in category A alongside others I place that label on, he's far closer to category B to me.

Esch

Banned
siddx said:
Yeah. The subjects of women, sex, or emotional relationships are not off limits by any means. If you're gonna do it though, you gotta stay away from vapid crap as much as possible. The same goes for 'hard' shit too, if you're gonna talk gangbanging at least try and work some imagery or storytelling or cleverness into it.

Drake's shit is embarassing, self pity 1st world problems shit i aint tryna hear.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
Drake+tears.jpg

Big Ghost Presents: The Take Care Review

YES

Spy

enzo_gt said:
Yeah it isn't easy, but otherwise I don't see any way it will just go away. Shit is kind of ingrained, to the point where plenty of people outside of hip hop use it casually. Maybe the fact that discussion is taking place is a testament to change. A year or two ago and I'm pretty sure soft was a purely negative term.

Like I said, most of my favorite artists are soft. Maybe the increasing amount of successful "soft" rappers will change the connotation in itself.

@Tguy, I would also say that discrepancy in definitions may be some indication of change. I just don't group KL in category A alongside others I place that label on, he's far closer to category B to me.
Since when did soft stop being a negative term? lol

Dmented

Banned
Blackace said:
made this mix tonight... was thinking of all the greats, and some of the guys who didn't get a chance to be greats we lost..

Wish U Were Here:

1) EZ Duz It - Eazy E (RIP)
2) Pop it 4 a Pimp - Pimp C(RIP) Ft Bun B and Juvie
3) From What I was Told - Soulja Slim(RIP)
4) Deadly Combination - Big L(RIP) Ft 2Pac(RIP) and Biggie(RIP)
5) Still Not a Player - Big Pun(RIP) Ft Joe
6) Gotta Get Mine - MC Breed(RIP) ft 2Pac(RIP)
7) My Philosophy - KRS-One (produced by Scott La Rock(RIP))
8) Jam Master Jay(RIP) - RUN DMC
9) Notorious B.I.G. - Biggie(RIP)
10) Mr. Big Stuff - Heavy D(RIP) and the Boyz
11) Overweight Lover - Heavy D(RIP) and the Boyz
12) Music and Me - Nate Dogg(RIP)
13) Kick Your Game -TL(RIP)C
14) Try Again - Aaliyah(RIP)

It isn't perfect... and I missed alot.. but I just wanted to make something...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25021028/wishuwerehere.mp3
Runnin' From Tha Police (original version) would of been good on that. Talk about a bunch of dead rappers/singers on 1 track. 'Pac, Big, Stretch, Yaki Kadafi, and Prince Ital Joe if that's him singing the hook.

Ken Masters said:
Section80 my #1 right now, but they may change with Common dropping in 2 weeks and Rozay and Nas after that. I've been avoiding all leaks on Common's album, waiting eagerly for 11/22 to pick it up

Postponed to end of Dec

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
You know what, 90% of rappers are fucking idiots anyways. Either soft, fake, ignorant, or all three. They are full of shit, lie like children, act like children, and sometimes look like children too. A lot of shit that goes on in hip hop is embarrassing as fuck. Sometimes I feel like i'm one of those people who fall in love with a partner who is just a massive dumb fuck and you know everyone wants to know why you put up with her stupid backwoods halfway retarded ass and all you can say is "well...sometimes she's awesome" because sometimes she really is. But most of the time....

Esch

Banned
also itt enzo equates the word soft with anything that isnt grimey grab a knife and leave you in back alleys shit.

overcast

Schoolboy better have that album come soon. He's been saying it on twitter for a while.

Random, but goddamn the DMV sucks. Went there for my license test, I was 7 minutes late and they wouldn't take me.

iavi

Looks like Radioactive's tracklisting has hit the web.

Rapradar said:
1. Radioactive (Intro)
2. Get Away (Feat. Shawty Fatt & Mystikal)
3. Let’s Roll (Feat. Kid Rock)
4. Hard White (Up In The Club) (Feat. Lil Jon)
5. Growin’ Up In The Gutter (Feat. Rittz)
6. Throw It Up (Feat. Gangsta Boo & Eminem)
7. Good Girl
8. Made In The U.S.A.
9. Animal (Feat. Fefe Dobson)
10. The Hardest Love Song In The World
11. Write Your Name
12. Everything I Love The Most
13. Radio
14. Slumerican Shitizen (Feat. Killer Mike)
15. The Last Song

Mystikal! I'm surprised K.R.I.T's not on there.

Recon

Banned
Im hyped for Radioactive, but i was hoping for KRITT and Outkast features. That Em song should be fucking fire, though.

Recon

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Am I the only one thats like "What the hell is Gangsta Boo doing on that song?", rest of it sounds good and an intresting mix.

It was a big wtf, definitely not expected.

kamspy

EschatonDX said:
Doom x Ghost will still be the best supercollab we've ever heard boys and girls

For some reason my gut tells me Ghostface won't give this project the effort is deserves.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I haven't checked out Maybach Music. What are your opinions on it?

Note- I thought Deflon Don was pretty good, got bored towards the end but overall better than I expected.

It's good. It's a posse album, so it's not cohesive. Just a collection of singles. It's pretty solid. If you can catch it on Amazon for like $5 it would be worth it. Tupac Back and 600 Benz are the best songs on the album FWIW.

Satyamdas

Banned
ReconYoda said:
So you write all these posts about how terrible it is that rappers are called 'soft', and yet you can't help but call people who laugh at Big Ghost's blog 'fan girls'. Interesting.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
Even kamspy can't argue with this.

You keep missing my usage of the word. I wouldn't consider Kendrick soft at all. I can't even fully enjoy the proper usage of it anymore because most the people using are doing it wrong, and most the people complaining about it are doing it wrong.

Regarding Gangsta Boo, she put on Drumma Boy and still carries some clout in the south.

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:
For some reason my gut tells me Ghostface won't give this project the effort is deserves.
he brought fire on the victory laps single right? His contributions to legendary weapons were also great.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
siddx said:

this...

The New Boyz have a song about spending all their money on some ass... this generation is doing it wrong

DominoKid

Blackace said:
this...

The New Boyz have a song about spending all their money on some ass... this generation is doing it wrong

mofos been spending money on ass since the beginning of time.

whether you straight up tricking, or buying these women food and shit, its all the same to me.

shit i took a chick to dinner (paying for ass indirectly) last week cause i was trying to fuck but it's soft if i mention it in a song?

nah i cant ride w/ that.

kamspy

overcast said:
You know who else is soft? J. Cole. Bitch ass talks about crying? Gangstas don't cry homie.

See? This is what I'm talking about. Pac, DMX and many more have gone way more emotional in their music than Cole. This isn't why we call Cole soft. We call him soft because of the things he raps about when he's not crying.

DominoKid said:
mofos been spending money on ass since the beginning of time.

whether you straight up tricking, or buying these women food and shit, its all the same to me.

shit i took a chick to dinner (paying for ass indirectly) last week cause i was trying to fuck but it's soft if i mention it in a song?

nah i cant ride w/ that.
What you said reminds me of this

Boondocks, shit cracks me up

Beezy

Drake is a soft ass simpasaurus. His fans who have a sense of humor know that, make fun of him, and still enjoy his music. That's just who he is.

overcast

kamspy said:
See? This is what I'm talking about. Pac, DMX and many more have gone way more emotional in their music than Cole. This isn't why we call Cole soft. We call him soft because of the things he raps about when he's not crying.
Like what? Which part is so "soft"? Dude hasn't said he's going to kill anyone. He said he has a tough life, which is completely believable. I had a pretty tough life, but I didn't necessarily grow up in the ghetto. His subject matter does not indicate that he's "soft".

Recon

Banned
overcast said:
Like what? Which part is so "soft"? Dude hasn't said he's going to kill anyone. He said he has a tough life, which is completely believable. I had a pretty tough life, but I didn't necessarily grow up in the ghetto. His subject matter does not indicate that he's "soft".

Shh. Kampsy thinks everyone has a good life unless they are born into a crack house with a heroin addiction.

TheOddOne

kamspy said:
What the fuck is this bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom