• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Hey Des, if you're doing the AOTY thread again, I think we should have a cut off honestly. Like, If you're albujm isn't out by Dec 13th or Thanksgiving, you're not eligible for this year. Grammy's up in this bitch.

Beezy

Tokubetsu said:
Hey Des, if you're doing the AOTY thread again, I think we should have a cut off honestly. Like, If you're albujm isn't out by Dec 13th or Thanksgiving, you're not eligible for this year. Grammy's up in this bitch.
Common's album isn't out til Dec 20th though. :(

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Tokubetsu said:
grammy's aren't worth shit. its good for laughs. its Album of the YEAR not album of the 11 months and 20 days.

Tokubetsu

Complex Shadow said:
grammy's aren't worth shit. its good for laughs. its Album of the YEAR not album of the 11 months and 20 days.

It's gonna be so late though, nobody's gonna give a fuck and let's be real, Common's album probably won't even be top 5 material.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
IrishNinja said:
just getting into UGK - grabbed Underground Kingz, what else is good? what album has that player's anthem track with 3 stacks?

I am a UGK stan, so....

Must haves -
Super Tight
Ridin' Dirty - The top seller and best album from them, IMO.
Too Hard to Swallow

If you can find it get "The Southern Way" EP. It isn't on sale commercially so you are going to have to snoop around the internet to find it. It was their first commercial release that was released on cassette only at the time. Alot of the same songs are on "Too Hard to Swallow," but with different samples.

I would also check out Bun B's first solo album, "Trill".

Esch

Banned
Discotheque said:
....better than Kendrick.
L1m73.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Fuck the Grammys. MBDTF will probably get robbed of it's album of the century award because of the timing.

hubes

Tokubetsu said:
should make the thread in february or something to fully digest the albums that come out late.

Kaizer

Banned
JackEtc said:
So I'm extremely LTTP as usual here on GAF-Hop, but, I just discovered Deltron 3030.

b1VQo.gif
One of my favorite albums, I discovered it about three years ago myself. Any favorites yet?

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:
Deltron 3030, is not that amazing.

I've been a Del fan since I Wish My Brother George was here. I don't even like Both Sides of the Brain (sorry GAF, No Need For Alarm is by far his best record), but I love me some Deltron 3030. I was a big Dan the Auto fan from Dr. Octagon, and actually being around for the prerelease hype made it a pretty big record for me. It's one of my Top 50 albums easily.

But I agree with Toku, it's not amazing. There are only a certain times you can really listen to it (re: chilling paying attention to lyrics with headphones on). It's got limitations, and for some reason I don't think they can capture the magic again.

Fun facts. I once had Mr. Bob Dobonlina paged at my local supermarket (I was like 12) and I also counted Del among my top 5 favorite MCs, even floating around #1 once in a while. Then he fell off the map for like 8 years. :( Came back with Both Sides and the production just wasn't the same. Magic was gone.

JackEtc

Kaizer said:
One of my favorite albums, I discovered it about three years ago myself. Any favorites yet?
So far, Virus, Things You Can Do, and Mastermind.

Just holy crap, I love this album.

This comparison may seem weird to all of you, but when the Gorrilaz were really big and put out Clint Eastwood, I was 8. I loved that song so much, specifically the verses by Del. I would always be listening to it, it was so great. This was long before I ever really got into hip-hop, but this was probably the first time a song of the genre really clicked with me.

I never looked at who the rapper (Del) even was, and never looked into any other songs by him. I never though about it once I got really into hip-hop, for some reason. And now listening to this album...the beat, the lyrics, it's all like I'm 8 all over.

I gotta go get some Del now.

Throavium

JackEtc said:

This comparison may seem weird to all of you, but when the Gorrilaz were really big and put out Clint Eastwood, I was 8. I loved that song so much, specifically the verses by Del. I would always be listening to it, it was so great. This was long before I ever really got into hip-hop, but this was probably the first time a song of the genre really clicked with me.

I never looked at who the rapper (Del) even was, and never looked into any other songs by him. I never though about it once I got really into hip-hop, for some reason. And now listening to this album...the beat, the lyrics, it's all like I'm 8 all over.

Dan the Automator produced Clint Eastwood, and the Deltron 3030 album.

kamspy

JackEtc said:

Do yourself a favor and get his best record!

OWsgL.png

JackEtc

kamspy said:
Do yourself a favor and get his best record!

http://i.imgur.com/OWsgL.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Throavium]#1 - No Need for Alarm
#2 - Future Development[/QUOTE]
Thanks guys, I was just about to ask!
[QUOTE=Throavium]Dan the Automator produced Clint Eastwood, and the Deltron 3030 album.[/QUOTE]
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. In a time when all I listened to was Linkin Park (go ahead, laugh), it was the one song from a genre I had never touched (and wouldn't touch for another 8 years), that I fell in love with.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:

I don't know if Des called it before me, but I was gonna try my hand at it. I'm not really pressed about it if he's wants to do it.

But yeah, the December rush is gonna be hard to sort out. We got Rozay, Jeezy and Common dropping.

I was trying to get feedback from people about the format, ie:

-Having multiple awards (ROY, Duet Album, Best Prod. etc.)
-How to weigh the points. Pretty sure everyone wants at least 10 albums named per vote.
-How many real rapper we can get to shout us out on Twitter by using Neogaf's Alexia clout.

Slizz

kamspy said:
I don't know if Des called it before me, but I was gonna try my hand at it. I'm not really pressed about it if he's wants to do it.

But yeah, the December rush is gonna be hard to sort out. We got Rozay, Jeezy and Common dropping.

-How to weigh the points. Pretty sure everyone wants at least 10 albums named per vote.
-How many real rapper we can get to shout us out on Twitter by using Neogaf's Alexia clout.

Don't worry, you won't need to consider that one. And thats what a somewhat Jeezy fan and overall fan of the south is saying.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Tokubetsu said:
Deltron 3030, is not that amazing.

Holy shit I'm not alone. I mean I don't think it's shit by any means, but it never impressed me like it did almost all my friends who loved hip hop. It was annoying in some ways because I felt like I was missing out on something but fuck it, sometimes certain things just don't speak to you.
So yeah, I agree, not that amazing.

Also regarding Honkey Kong, I didn't like it either at first, sounded kind of generic white angry underground rapper to me (and nobody does that better than ill bill imo). But it just kind of clicked one night on a long drive home. I think the problem with it is the length plus lack of cohesiveness. It's a collection of great songs, but the album doesn't have a flow. It's hard to get into because of it.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
In regards to the awards, I think we should have a bunch of oddball categories as well like best and worst guest spots, best song to murder a hooker to, best song to fuck your enemies' girlfriend to, favorite song you listen to when not a mothafucka is around to hear you, and so on.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
In regards to the awards, I think we should have a bunch of oddball categories as well like best and worst guest spots, best song to murder a hooker to, best song to fuck your enemies' girlfriend to, favorite song you listen to when not a mothafucka is around to hear you, and so on.

This is a great idea.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:

I like it, and I like siddx's oddball categories including the ones you posted before.

Ideas:

- "I got murdered on my own shit" Award
- Worst single choice of the year (jcole.gif)
- Comeback of the year (X, Tip, etc.)
- L of the Year (This one I want most)
- Please Just Go Away Award (gotta balance the positive with the negative!)
- GAF-Hop Argument of the Year (We all know what this is)

TheOddOne

siddx said:
So Kampy's favorite song of the year.

DominoKid

enzo_gt said:
I like it, and I like siddx's oddball categories including the ones you posted before.

Ideas:

- "I got murdered on my own shit" Award
- Worst single choice of the year (jcole.gif)
- Comeback of the year (X, Tip, etc.)
- L of the Year (This one I want most)
- Please Just Go Away Award (gotta balance the positive with the negative!)
- GAF-Hop Argument of the Year (We all know what this is)

?

TheOddOne

Tokubetsu said:
If anyone's gonna be murdering hookers, it's probably Siddx or
Spindashing in a great plot twist!
Siddx and Spin got more class, they kill videomodels. Kampsy has to live with whats around.

overcast

ReconYoda said:
Warm up was better, But it was on par easily with FNL. Production was tighter, lyrics looser, so it evened out.
I agree completely.

So I'm extremely LTTP as usual here on GAF-Hop, but, I just discovered Deltron 3030.
Lucky bastard. I remember when I first listened to that album. So excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom