• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.
joelseph said:

"The whole of the tape is great, and Aantwon does a great job of balancing a lot of different sentiments. I guess if anything that’s the best way to describe him. You never know which element of Aantwon you’ll get on a track, and regardless of what you do get, you’re liable to wind up with something entirely different before the end of the song. It’s refreshing to hear another voice that is using rap as a means to speak, and create great human art, rather than merely rapping as posturing in order to pretend to be some unlbemished idealized individual. The fantasy of Fantasy Beds is the total realization of the self, not the perfect realization of the self. Don’t sleep, download it now."

This is good.

kamspy

T.I.? Far and away Urban Legend and Trap Muzik. They're a full tier above any of his other work. Other albums have their moments, but with those two you didn't need a skip button.

Lil Wayne? Da Drought 3 is, IMO, the best example of him just going ham on beats. He doesn't really do "songs" (I guess he's trying to now), so the lack of original beats isn't really detrimental. All his music is pretty much the same anyways. Just flows. No real cohesion. I don't think this isn't a viable approach. When you've got a flow like Wayne (when he's on) that's all you need. IMO, Da Drought 3 has this in spades. There isn't a beat on it that he didn't out do the original (aside from a couple true classics).

New Donna Cappa Goines? Gonna check for it, but I don't blind buy his stuff anymore after that second album he did. Hell naw. This shit must be streamed in it's entirety. I think The Pillage is one of the best Wu albums out there. Better than Ironman.

Downloading the Luda tape now. I consider Back for the First Time a classic album. I followed him for the next couple albums, but Red Light District was the last one I got into before I went OT for a couple years.

Dr.Dre? I don't know. I'm in a state of limbo about how I feel about him. He had the golden voice on The Chronic. It was a musical instrument. Unfortunately, he didn't really use it again til it was almost gone (on 2001). Now, it seems like Sly Jordan is ghost rapping for him. God knows who's doing the writing. I can tell when it's Jay or Em. Hell, on Drug Test I think Game wrote a verse, Sly Jordan spit it, and Dr. Dre let them put his name on it. That is not Dre.

Really when you look at the "architects" of the West Coast, you look at DOC, DJ Quik, DJ Yella, Daz and Warren G. Dr. Dre just basically brought them together and used their skill sets like a conductor. I think he get's too much credit and the others should be mentioned more. Yeah, I think that's where I stand on Dre.

Honestly I think Quik did more for the West Coast sound than Dre did. He knows it too. It's funny watching him hold it back in every interview. DJ Quik is the real Dr. Dre (in terms of what the average person thinks Dr. Dre is).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
it's about that time!!

EZ8rn.png

WCW 8: Are We There, Yet? Edition

1) It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
2) The One - WC and the Madd Circle
3) West - WC and the Madd Circle Ft. Ice Cube and Mack 10
4) Mack 10's the Name - Mack 10
5) Real Ninja Roll Call - Lil Jon Ft. Ice Cube
6) Go to Church - Ice Cube Ft. Snoop Dogg
7) Bow Down - West Side Connection
8) Ghetto Bird - Ice Cube
9) You Know How We Do It - Ice Cube
10) Can't Hold Back - WC Ft. Ice Cube
11) Why We Thugs - Ice Cube
12) Gangsta Nation - West Side Connection Ft. Nate Dogg
13) Bop Gun - Ice Cube Ft. George Clinton

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25021028/wcw8.mp3

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
ReconYoda said:
I thought under pressure was horse shit, i did like Topless.

It was shit, but I could see the potential in it. I didn't like topless, boring as fuck, but maybe thats cause TI ruins anything he's on.

Blackace said:
it's about that time!!

EZ8rn.png

3) West - WC and the Madd Circle Ft. Ice Cube and Mack 10
7) Bow Down - West Side Connection
9) You Know How We Do It - Ice Cube
13) Bop Gun - Ice Cube Ft. George Clinton

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25021028/wcw8.mp3

Fuck yeah, I can already see this being one of my favorite mixes.

kamspy

Blackace said:
it's about that time!!

http://i.imgur.com/EZ8rn.]

[B]
3) West - WC and the Madd Circle Ft. Ice Cube and Mack 10[/B]
[B]7) Bow Down - West Side Connection
9) You Know How We Do It - Ice Cube[/B]
[B]13) Bop Gun - Ice Cube Ft. George Clinton[/B]

[url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25021028/wcw8.mp3[/url][/QUOTE]

This mix needs Mack 10 - Foe Life and Ice Cube - Ghetto Vet.

Otherwise, it's pretty much perfect. The Lil John kinda doesn't fit. But overall it's my favorite WCW.

IrishNinja

ice cube WCW fuck yesssssss

+1 for da drought 3, also shinobis - ive never gotten into a cappa album, will this be the one to change that?

coldvein

Banned
i'm not sayin i won't listen to detox when it comes out. i will. i just don't have high hopes for it. it's not even close to being on my radar. i'm not trying to take away from dre and what he's done in the past, i just haven't cared about him for years.

HiResDes

coldvein said:
i'm not sayin i won't listen to detox when it comes out. i will. i just don't have high hopes for it. it's not even close to being on my radar. i'm not trying to take away from dre and what he's done in the past, i just haven't cared about him for years.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
coldvein said:

I don't think anyone has, but people just can't help to get excited when you hear the name because his shit has been poignant for two decades now. The tracks that come off of The Chronic and 2001 are so intrinsically tied to peoples lives that it won't go away...not for a long time at least.

Acid08

Banned
wenis said:
I don't think anyone has, but people just can't help to get excited when you hear the name because his shit has been poignant for two decades now. The tracks that come off of The Chronic and 2001 are so intrinsically tied to peoples lives that it won't go away...not for a long time at least.
Maybe Detox will be The Chronic or 2001 for a new generation but if it's shit like I Need A Doctor then I weep for them.

Detox

I Need a Doctor was an Em track, Dre heard it and went on it. He confirmed this in an interview him and Em did together. I don't know who's idea it was to put it out as a single for Detox. I'm almost certain it wasn't planned to be one or even feature on Detox but from what I remember it leaked, the Em fans who eat anything he shits out went crazy over it so they released it as a single to make some money off it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Acid08 said:
Maybe Detox will be The Chronic or 2001 for a new generation but if it's shit like I Need A Doctor then I weep for them.

I hope so man. The Chronic and 2001 came out at perfect moments in my life, so like I said before that shit is tied up to so many memories, good and bad that if he can put out at least one more album with that many jams on and people dig it enough to keep on listening for years after release....

Until then though, Dre isn't doing anything exciting or at least hinting at exciting right now.

siddx

I've got most of these mixtapes on my harddrive, just no time to listen. Too much fucking work.

Also I assume somebody mentioned that Layne Harper x Miama Beat Wave tape right? I know there are some people in here that love MBW's production as much as I do.

CRS

siddx said:
I've got most of these mixtapes on my harddrive, just no time to listen. Too much fucking work.

Also I assume somebody mentioned that Layne Harper x Miama Beat Wave tape right? I know there are some people in here that love MBW's production as much as I do.
Same here. My new job takes so much of my time and I can't listen to music at work like I could with my previous job.

CRS

coldvein said:
just gave ace's mix an attempted listen (first one).. had to turn it off on the lil john/yin yang twins sounding track. :(
That's one of my favorite Lil Jon tracks for what it's worth.

I thought Ice Cube went hard on it too.

siddx

coldvein said:
just gave ace's mix an attempted listen (first one).. had to turn it off on the lil john/yin yang twins sounding track. :(

I AM COLDVEIN AND I WILL NOT ALLOW FUN IN THIS MUTHAFUCKA!!!!!

:p

Just gave some of the mixtapes a cursory listen. That J Nics and Elite tape are very nice. Nesby not too sold on yet, Belly tape has fantastic production but the rapper isn't impressing me much, everything else I'm pretty ambivalent about so far, but like I said, just a quick run through so far.

That Artofficial album though...fuck yes.

coldvein

Banned
siddx said:
I AM COLDVEIN AND I WILL NOT ALLOW FUN IN THIS MUTHAFUCKA!!!!!

heh. i knew that that was coming, in some form..

i actually saw lil john once, shit was painful. if i wasn't drunk as piss i would've left before g unit came on.

siddx

That fucking Artofficial album has ground my studying to a fucking halt. It may make my top 5 of the year. Goddamn. One of my dreams is to have a live hip hop band that plays a bunch of jazz and funk instruments. This album makes me both jealous and happy.

Acid08

Banned
siddx said:
That fucking Artofficial album has ground my studying to a fucking halt. It may make my top 5 of the year. Goddamn. One of my dreams is to have a live hip hop band that plays a bunch of jazz and funk instruments. This album makes me both jealous and happy.
Yeah, it's really fucking great. Energy is off the charts.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
so damn good- came out of nowhere and i cant stop listening;
just curious, what are you studying for?

coldvein

Banned
i'm just playin, but seriously, can somebody please grab me some cereal please? and a phone? so i can prank call topanga, and tell her cory couldn't beat me at jenga...

this shit is hilarious.

siddx

peterb0y said:
so damn good- came out of nowhere and i cant stop listening;
just curious, what are you studying for?

I have a big test for a class tomorrow (Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities), I'm finishing up my Masters in Elementary Education and this is the last of two classes I need. I also have a big action plan I am trying to finish up for credit in another class from last semester. I am just burnt the fuck out on being a student. Especially since having to take a day off for school means 100 less bucks on my paycheck a week since I can't work that day.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
I have a big test for a class tomorrow (Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities), I'm finishing up my Masters in Elementary Education and this is the last of two classes I need. I also have a big action plan I am trying to finish up for credit in another class from last semester. I am just burnt the fuck out on being a student. Especially since having to take a day off for school means 100 less bucks on my paycheck a week since I can't work that day.
Oh nice, good luck with everything dude. I totally agree, being a student sucks; I feel guilty for enjoying any free time, feel like I shd be studying.

Recon

Banned
peterb0y said:
Oh nice, good luck with everything dude. I totally agree, being a student sucks; I feel guilty for enjoying any free time, feel like I shd be studying.

Being a student does suck. Not looking forward to graduate school.

CRS

coldvein said:
i wish i was a student again. grass is always greener..
Yeah it is. Grad students always have really good weed.

After going to school for so long, it feels good not going to school this semester. Not having to worry about midterms/schoolwork after a long ass day at school and/or work feels amazing.

PBY

Banned
coldvein said:
that's what i'm sayin. after working shit jobs for so long, school seems like it might be nice again.
I wish i were in undergrad, that was chill and fun and awesome; law school sucks so hard though haha.

CRS

I love my job and it's not shitty at all but it's sometimes so tiring that I would hate to work on schoolwork right after which I have done before for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom