• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

August is looking to be a good month, or at least a good start.

We got new XV, Nickelus F, Freddie Gibbs, & wale all dropping mixtapes (Gibbs got an EP) on Aug 3rd.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Jay Sosa said:
Bought the album because of the track and was disappointed, haven't listened to it in years. Will rip it on my Fuze and give it another chance.

Btw: Haven't realized that EP is gonna hit the stores (hopefully amazon as well as it's the only chance to get my hands on this) so I'm not gonna dl the tape and buy the EP instead.

Gotta support this dude.

Well like I said, the middle of the album sucks. It just drags down into this weird place that completely throws off the flow of the album and like a sandwich with a layer of shit in the middle, it ruins the taste of the entire thing. Suicide girls, followed by a skit, and then one of the most disappointing collabos ever with cats van bags (although some people really like that track, I have no idea why). Its only about 8 minutes of shit, but its enough to ruin the vibe and make the next two tracks feel underwhelming despite being decent tracks. It ends strongly though.

I think the other problem is Trying to find a balance is a very different song from the rest of the album, so anybody who was looking for more of that kind of music was disappointed.

hie

MickD said:
Gansta Gibbs never fails.. this is fire.. cop it!

Indeed! Came to say how good his new tape is. Unsurprisingly dope. Block Beataz beats don't hurt either ;)

speaking of..where's some new G-Side?

IrishNinja

Kimosabae said:
I REALLY hope I wasn't just wasting my time with that Aesop post...

dude, i replied, said i didnt normally dig him but your video was great and to post more like it.

i get the kanye stans thing, but yeah, ive not heard all of 808 but unless that one's as bad as some say, ive not been disappointed by a single album yet, cant say that of many artists these days. its why i dont give a fuck how obnoxious he is when he's outside the studio: you know how many dudes are arrogant as fuck and completely useless? if you can back it, you get a pass, i think that shit's mostly universal.

nice Killarmy vid, Toku - im always hit & miss with them and your Killah Priest, gotta sit down and just let them play one day.

Right now...its months later, and im still in & out of Guru/Gang Starr tributes. "Betrayal" with Scarface comes on, and i just zone out. pretty much anything off of Moment in Truth can do that too.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh mah gaooooo

NEW EL-P STREAMIN NAO
http://www.myspace.com/elproducto
Whores is freaking sick!

harSon said:

2dv23qv.jpg

HELLO!!!!!

HiResDes said:
Nardwuar is the most prolific music interviewer ever...He's been interviewing artists for like two decades...It's ridiculous!
Narduwar is hilarious. I love his Nas, Janelle Monae and Kid Cudi interviews. Lol, either the artist goes with his craziness or they get pissed off. The guy does his homework, though.

Tokubetsu

VWelC.jpg

Four plus years, a whole lot of drama, and a lot of politics and ego’s later 10 songs from the last works of Detroit’s Mayor finally hits the internets. For those of you who haven’t been paying attention Proof and DJ Jewels Baby hooked up for a marathon recording session to write and record a full mixtape in 24 hours. The project has been plagued by drama since his death in 2006.

http://bigproof1.bandcamp.com/album/time-a-tell

Haven't listened to it yet.

njean777

Wale's new shit is so good, cant wait for his new mixtape. Also cant wait for his next lp i will buy it day one. His album was my favorite hip hop record of last year.

spindashing said:
Narduwar is hilarious. I love his Nas, Janelle Monae and Kid Cudi interviews. Lol, either the artist goes with his craziness or they get pissed off. The guy does his homework, though.

I thought Kid Cudi was a dick in his interview, people say Nas was too but he was just super high. I watched the Jay-Z one and was confused with that, he talked like an idiot, even if he was high it was ridiculously awkward.

TheOddOne said:
That drumbeat has been used too much :lol

that impeach the president break will always be around. from the few seconds i listened to the song it didnt really seem to be working in this case

reKon

Banned
reKon said:
LOL I didn't know that Missy could even produce like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-63OMVRHx0o

that's a hot track. And J Cole killed this in a quick freestyle too (I don't have the link).

But yeah, I like Jasmine Sullivan

the instrumental is basically the same as Nas - Affirmative Action with different drums and snare and different section in some parts parts of the song

reKon

Banned
goldenticket said:
that impeach the president break will always be around. from the few seconds i listened to the song it didnt really seem to be working in this case

try listening past the 24 second mark then :lol

kamspy

Wale - proof that the squandered rap talent cycle can be broken.

Retail LP didn't set the charts on fire but got buzz... so go for the throat with a quick mixtape re-up. I like it.

Finally. I rapper I like who enjoys earning money. Carry on Wale.

I never thought the two things would be so uncommon.

Tokubetsu

A bit old but Noz did a "25 Greatest Boot Camp Clik Songs of All Time" list for Complex. Nice little read/listen. I'd be lying if I told you if I was familiar with all of these tracks so I found it pretty enlightening.
Also, if it wasn't already readily apparent by all my recommendations and random song drops, I have a thing for that 90s East Coast NYC sound.

Posted in the other fucking thread on accident.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
A bit old but Noz did a "25 Greatest Boot Camp Clik Songs of All Time" list for Complex. Nice little read/listen. I'd be lying if I told you if I was familiar with all of these tracks so I found it pretty enlightening.
Also, if it wasn't already readily apparent by all my recommendations and random song drops, I have a thing for that 90s East Coast NYC sound.

Posted in the other fucking thread on accident.
Here are all the track compiled in a nice archive...This took me a while so at least one person better download this shit :lol

Oh and there's one track missing that I absolutely hate, see if you can figure out which one it is

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
HiResDes said:
Here are all the track compiled in a nice archive...This took me a while so at least one person better download this shit :lol

Oh and there's one track missing that I absolutely hate, see if you can figure out which one it is

Good looking out.

Bun B drops tomorrow, really good CD. Continues this rap revival this year.

I am not a fan of iTunes haveing a special version of the album, Amazon having another and Best Buy having one too. Not only are there exclusive tracks, it seems that the order of songs are different. The best tracks are on all versions of the album though. I am sure someone will put all the extra tracks out.

I am going to his album release concert Wednesday night. He has a live band and some guests coming in. I would assume Drake and Slim Thug will be there. An appearance by Raekwon to perform the track they did that got caught up in label politics would be nice.

HiResDes

dskillzhtown said:
Good looking out.

Bun B drops tomorrow, really good CD. Continues this rap revival this year.

I am not a fan of iTunes haveing a special version of the album, Amazon having another and Best Buy having one too. Not only are there exclusive tracks, it seems that the order of songs are different. The best tracks are on all versions of the album though. I am sure someone will put all the extra tracks out.

I am going to his album release concert Wednesday night. He has a live band and some guests coming in. I would assume Drake and Slim Thug will be there. An appearance by Raekwon to perform the track they did that got caught up in label politics would be nice.
Looks like Bun-B and Arcade Fire tomorrow...FUCK YES!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
spindashing said:
New Kid Cudi.

"Mojo So Dope" in his upcoming album.

http://usershare.net/w7ht082ln4f2

I like it, but I don't? IDK I wasn't feeling it for the 1st half, and then just let it play out while I was surfing. Yet when it ended I was like that wasn't bad? I sort of like that? Yet when it was playing I wasn't that enthralled? IDK....

EDIT: On relisten I know it's a random complaint, but I wish he just let the song title as is in the chorus, and not add in the bitch... just feels forced...

Devil Theory said:
I thought Kid Cudi was a dick in his interview, people say Nas was too but he was just super high. I watched the Jay-Z one and was confused with that, he talked like an idiot, even if he was high it was ridiculously awkward.
That's what I liked about the Nas and Cudi interviews. Their dick-ish behavior showed that the interview and Narduwar's craziness was real. They should have relaxed a bit, but could you relax if a crazed Canadian went in your face with his eccentricity? Yeahhh, Jay-Z and Nas were blaazzeed, lol. Either they go crazy with Narduwar or they think the guy is crazy. Vanilla Ice had a good interview with him too.

On another note, I'm kind of not wanting to go to sleep so I can hear Wale's mixtape later today. :lol

DominoKid

hope More About Nothing is good. cause everything since Mixtape About Nothing has been kinda wack. he needs to stick w/ Best Kept Secret

The M.O.B

reKon said:
anyone who listens to that game mixtape, lemme know if it's worth getting (i'm havin my doubts :lol

So far, it is a typical Game affair with a ton of other artists on every song.

HiResDes

DominoKid said:
hope More About Nothing is good. cause everything since Mixtape About Nothing has been kinda wack. he needs to stick w/ Best Kept Secret
I'm gonna have to disagree with you big on that...Back to the Future is fucking amazing, and his album is pretty decent too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom