• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
hie said:
eh...huh? looks like a normal dude to me...Arin Owens looks quite a bit goofier than that cat. :lol

I guess it's just me then, but he just looks strange. Not an insult, just caught me off guard and thought he looked differently. I never seen him before this so I had my own vision of what he looked like based on his voice way before.

Anyway, digging the Wale tape. Friends & Strangers is good.

reKon

Banned
HiResDes said:
I'm super LTTP, but I had never heard Add-2's Tale of Two's City Vol. 2...

add2_front.jpg

DL LINK

...It's fucking sick! Maybe even better than the third volume. This is a must-download if you've never heard it.

haven't of this dude, but I just listened to this song that he did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyn8fWtTf2s

niceeeeeeeee

kamspy

exarkun said:
Alright G's, what the verdict on Bun B's cd. Best yet? (don't compare to UGK but among his solo albums). Im gonna cop it anyway since I support him but I wanna know if im getting that good quality shit.

No where near as good as Trill. Sounds manufactured. Drake appearance - check. Boi 1da beat - check, Jeezy or Gucci track - check, autotune hook - check.

Just seems like he was going down a "what's popular in 2010" checklist.

Trill is his best work outside of UGK by a million miles. Trill O.G. sounds like a product.

HiResDes said:
I have a feeling Wale's mixtape is going to grow on you...Make sure you delete the songs off of it that you absolutely hate and listen to it again. I think if it had been cut to about 12 songs it would be a fucking classic.

I just wish I could edit all the Seinfeld stuff. Shit's on every track. I'd rather have fucking Whhooooooo kiiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhdddd tags. It's just overkill this time.

Oh, and he should have jacked waaay more beats. Sounds like a bunch of myspace producer beats aside from a few. Cheap mastering too.

I don't want to come off too harsh, but his other stuff struck me instantly. Really like Black N Gold though. Reminds me of some Adam Tensta. Only consistent.

Also, anyone remember the real good kanye?

Kimosabae

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
So I didn't understand him wrong on Freezer Burner when he was talking bout not being an ape or some similar creationist bs, how can such an intelligent dude be so ignorant?

Thanks for the heads up anyway..

Yeah, I'm not so sure the interpretation is as straight forward as it seems, but I thought the same thing when I heard that song.

Even if that is his disposition; no one's perfect.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
10i74b7.jpg

First thing I do? Pull out the booklet to look at production credits :lol
I tried to get this today, but then I realized it didn't have an Amazon mp3 download...WTF. Fuck it.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
I tried to get this today, but then I realized it didn't have an Amazon mp3 download...WTF. Fuck it.

I knew what to expect from th EP but damn, the EP is pretty chill.

DaMan121

New Wale is awesome. Criticisms of overuse of Seinfeld are really exaggerated. Would I prefer if they aren't in there? Yes, but they are in context and amusing (at least the first time through).
The laid-back Wale is still there, but there are a few tracks that show that he can dip into the 'mainstream banger' tracks. Having said that he maintains his lyrical integrity from his previous stuff, real life shit about love, failure, Tiger Woods saga(!), pop-culture and video-game references galore!

HiResDes

I think some of the bars on Manipulation 2 surprised me the most, an extremely clever yet overly scandalous song, thought that was an oxymoron.

Grzi

kamspy said:
No where near as good as Trill. Sounds manufactured. Drake appearance - check. Boi 1da beat - check, Jeezy or Gucci track - check, autotune hook - check.

Just seems like he was going down a "what's popular in 2010" checklist.

Plus no Z-Ro feature? What the fuck man. :/

Jay Sosa

DaMan121 said:
New Wale is awesome. Criticisms of overuse of Seinfeld are really exaggerated. Would I prefer if they aren't in there? Yes, but they are in context and amusing (at least the first time through).

The Seinfeld stuff is the only thing I like about this tape, heard 3 tracks and then listened to Mood Music 2 instead. Like I stated before I don't like rappers who tell me how great they are every 2 seconds..

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
exarkun said:
Alright G's, what the verdict on Bun B's cd. Best yet? (don't compare to UGK but among his solo albums). Im gonna cop it anyway since I support him but I wanna know if im getting that good quality shit.

I am loving it. I think it is varied enough to not get old quick, it has polish and I am loving the features. I am giving it a 8 skeets out of 10. There are a couple of tracks I can't stand, but I am digging everything else. Is it his best yet? I think it is right up there with Trill. Trill OG shows Bun's growth as a rapper, flowing over different types of tracks. For that reason I can see people not liking it.

I will agree that Teflon Don might be the CD of the summer though. Alot of the fluff was cut from the CD and put on mixtapes which made for a tighter, more focused effort.

DominoKid

exarkun said:

The Source gave it 5 Mics. take that however you please.

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
The Seinfeld stuff is the only thing I like about this tape, heard 3 tracks and then listened to Mood Music 2 instead. Like I stated before I don't like rappers who tell me how great they are every 2 seconds..
3 tracks? Really dude? Opinion instantly discounted.

Kimosabae

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I knew what to expect from th EP but damn, the EP is pretty chill.

Did you get "The 3 Day Theory" yet? I got a strange e-mail from Amazon yesterday asking if I wanted to cancel my pre-order. They claim; "we're still trying to obtain the following item".

They're go on to state they're unsure as to when they'll be able to ship it to me, basically. :/

MMaRsu

dskillzhtown said:
:lol

So you want a Wale instrumental mixtape?

I'd rather have a new Big Boi mixtape or something, I can only listen to his album so many times a day. And I would love a new J.Cole mixtape.

HiResDes

MMaRsu said:
But his voice and lyrics kinda annoy me
Then how is the mixtape pretty dope to you? That makes absolutely no sense. The beats weren't that great. I don't understand people that hate on his lyrics, dude is super clever, and discusses a variety of topics. His voice also seems quite normal to me.

MMaRsu said:
I'd rather have a new Big Boi mixtape or something, I can only listen to his album so many times a day. And I would love a new J.Cole mixtape.

Man you sound silly...I'd rather have a new Biggy album. I'd rather see Rakim release a mixtape. I'd rather see Big L come out with some new freestyles. It all sounds so irrelevant.

MMaRsu

HiResDes said:
Then how is the mixtape pretty dope to you? That makes absolutely no sense. The beats weren't that great. I don't understand people that hate on his lyrics, dude is super clever, and discusses a variety of topics. His voice also seems quite normal to me.

Man you sound silly...I'd rather have a new Biggy album. I'd rather see Rakim release a mixtape. I'd rather see Big L come out with some new freestyles. It all sounds so irrelevant.

Dude who cares anyway?? Its not like what I think is of any importance to you anyway

Jay Sosa

HiResDes said:
3 tracks? Really dude? Opinion instantly discounted.

:D It was late and I had to go to work the next day.(listened to it on my fuze before going to sleep)

Listened to it a bit more today but there's something I don't like about him..

When I heard to the track with Wiz he sounds so much more..I dunno fluent while Wale sounds like he has asthma or something. He has a strange way of accentuating words that I just don't like..

Well, the concept and production are the only things that stand out on this for me, really.

Really? I was kinda disappointed by the use of the great samples, "The Problem" is maybe the worst use of the awesome sample I have ever heard..and the drums..people always bitched about Mannie and 9th using boring drums..then what the fuck is this?

This is how you do it:

Ghetto Love
Problems

My favorite tape right now is the LES one, I would even go as far and say it's on par with Kush&OJ and krit wuz here.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Did you get "The 3 Day Theory" yet? I got a strange e-mail from Amazon yesterday asking if I wanted to cancel my pre-order. They claim; "we're still trying to obtain the following item".

They're go on to state they're unsure as to when they'll be able to ship it to me, basically. :/

Nah, haven't ordered it yet. If I do, I'd say go through UGHH since its a pretty obscure album.
http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/st...Day-Theory-Man-Bites-Dog-Records&UPC=MBD031CD

Slizz

Smoke DZA tape is pretty good, was gonna be on that Wale tip but then this happened:

20100804-THECANZ.jpg

The homie JD Era joins The Canz and Danay Mariney for a joint off the ATL-based duo’s Life After Graduation project w/ Mick Boogie & Terry Urban. A 10-track mixtape inspired by Biggie’s Life After Death and Kanye West’s Graduation.

I personally LOVE The Canz. This tape will be amazing.

DL

And if you are feeling these dudes make sure and pick up their last Mick Boogie project:

944040992-1.jpg

DL

RPS37

"I'm on top of my game but these niggas won't acknowledge it
Now a nigga hungry as a plastic hippopotamus"

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Jay Sosa said:
Smartest thing I've read in this thread.

Kimosabae

Banned
RPS37 said:
"I'm on top of my game but these niggas won't acknowledge it
Now a nigga hungry as a plastic hippopotamus"

I was pissed off when I heard that line. I've had a Hungry Hippo reference brewing for about a year now.

Really need to get off my ass and start recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom