• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are going to rank Atmosphere's albums, for me it'd go as follows:

1. Lucy Ford ( this was the album that introduced me to Slug and Ant, very memorable)
2. God Loves Ugly
3. Overcast
4. When Life Gives you Lemons (you paint that shit gold)
5. Ycihmfwh
6. Sevens Travels

Their two unofficial albums, Strictly Leakage and Leak at Will are also great, totally different style than when they are "Atmosphere".

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jay Sosa said:
Nice, how are the other two Bun solo albums? Heard people say they didn't live up to the (extremely high) high expectations.

I thought they both were good. The 2nd had wider appeal because it had a crapload of popular features. Luper Fiasco, Lil Wayne, Junior Reid, Juvenile, Mya, Sean Kingston, and a few more. But I felt like the first one was alot more "street". The first one had Scarface, Luda, Jeezy, TI, and Too Short.

The first one grabbed me alot sooner than the second one did.

Tokubetsu

The M.O.B said:
ugh, Cudi album pushed back to October 26th.

G.O.O.D music day fail

None of his singles/leaks were generating any kind of buzz. This was coming from a mile away.

Revised Death IS Silent artwork and tracklist:
wJ3BH.jpg

01. Death Is Silent
02. If You Cry
03. La Petite Mort (Come Die With Me)
04. Rhythm Of The Rain
05. Spread Your Wings
06. Loneliness
07. Smile (They Brought Your Coffin In)
08. Graveyard
09. I Wish I Was Dead
10. They Told Me
11. When I Was Young
12. Not At The End
13. The New Day (Death Has No Meaning)

Ashhong

Tokubetsu said:
None of his singles/leaks were generating any kind of buzz. This was coming from a mile away.

Erase Me has no buzz? I've been hearing it on the radio more than Power.

Although, overall I haven't heard much buzz about Cudi since Day N Night. Didn't hear much about Pursuit of Happiness, or any of his other singles (were there any?) So many great tracks on that album, must have been improperly marketed

ALL THESE KANYE STANS IN HERE. Incessant Kanye dick riding is a big reason why I stopped going to a lot of sites.
Maybe if he was still releasing shit like CD and LR, but his last two albums have been a disappointment and I'll be damned if I'm getting hype for a Kanye album ever again. Dude makes good music, I'm not putting him down, but he's no longer the "savior of hip-hop" that I thought he was when I was a freshman.

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:
ALL THESE KANYE STANS IN HERE. Incessant Kanye dick riding is a big reason why I stopped going to a lot of sites.
Maybe if he was still releasing shit like CD and LR, but his last two albums have been a disappointment and I'll be damned if I'm getting hype for a Kanye album ever again. Dude makes good music, I'm not putting him down, but he's no longer the "savior of hip-hop" that I thought he was when I was a freshman.

Some of us have yet to be disappointed by a Kanye album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The M.O.B said:
ugh, Cudi album pushed back to October 26th.

G.O.O.D music day fail

G.O.O.D. music day was never gonna happen from the start. Hell, I was so surprised Graduation/Curtis day even happened.

Pinko Marx said:
Kanye = One of the most consistent cats in the game IMO. The term "savior of hip-hop" means nothing anymore because there's always good music wherever you look, but the dude is still on another level with the quality of music he puts out.

No one said he was a savior, but Power was one of his best singles ever in my opinion, and I think that was the perfect comeback song for him, denouncing all the bs that swirled up because of his stupidity and saying hey, no man should have all that power to cause a media shitstorm like that. So far from the all-star team of producers that have flown out to Miami, and all the cosigns from artist's who've heard the album, as well as the upcoming features from the likes of Em and Jay, I can't help but be excited.

And vizion none of your links are working for me, possibly because of the ellipses in the abbreviations.

Ephemeris

Vizion28 said:
What do you think?
Upfront: I'm trying to handle this somewhat delicately without coming across as too abrasive. Messed up and lost some of what I wrote originally (thanks keyboard!) so I'll be more succinct at the risk of sounding dismissive. Good timing, I could just quote Jay-Z instead!

Ephemeris. okay fine. Jay-Z said:
N-ggas couldn’t do nothing with me
they put the devil on me
I would have preferred if n-ggas squeeze the metal on me
Rumours of Lucifer
I don’t know who to trust
whole world want my demise turn my music up
here me clearly, if y’all niggas fear me
just say y’all fear me
f-ck all these fairy tales

In regards to some of the quotes, two things.

1) Surely you can't take what people say literally in their posts songs. Especially Rap songs. Especially.

2) When someone says they've sold their soul to the devil.. I'm pretty sure 92.30%* of the time they don't mean it literally. It's just an expression. I mean, if DMX did partake in some Faustian contract with the Devil.. he needs to get his soul back cause shit didn't quite work out.

100% of statistics supplied by me are 100% correct and factual.

edit: Someone deleted his post. The quote proves i'm not crazy. PLEASE BELIEVE ME.

Moving on.

enzo_gt said:
The term "savior of hip-hop" means nothing anymore because there's always good music wherever you look.

Correct. This happens in every single YouTube video of an underground rapper, saying they'll be the ones to redefine hiphop or something, despite the fact that it's happening evenly because of the quantity of quality artists, even if they're not popular.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:
Some of us have yet to be disappointed by a Kanye album.

I was about to throw out some skepticism, but this is good logic.

I just don't count 808s. He's allowed one of those after the first couple.

Didn't care for the twitter joint, but the sound quality might have played a part in that.

Nabs

DominoKid said:
i think so.

same way ether = destroyed in an epic fashion because of Nas

Funny you mention Ether. You a fan, a phony, a fake, a pussy, a Stan...

After that line, everyone started using it

enzo_gt said:
G.O.O.D. music day was never gonna happen from the start. Hell, I was so surprised Graduation/Curtis day even happened.

Kanye = One of the most consistent cats in the game IMO. The term "savior of hip-hop" means nothing anymore because there's always good music wherever you look, but the dude is still on another level with the quality of music he puts out.

No one said he was a savior, but Power was one of his best singles ever in my opinion, and I think that was the perfect comeback song for him, denouncing all the bs that swirled up because of his stupidity and saying hey, no man should have all that power to cause a media shitstorm like that. So far from the all-star team of producers that have flown out to Miami, and all the cosigns from artist's who've heard the album, as well as the upcoming features from the likes of Em and Jay, I can't help but be excited.

Not here maybe, but when he first came out PLENTY of people (read: pretty much everyone in the hip-hop world) was calling him that.
And I dunno if I'd call him consistent either. He's hit or miss, with more hits than misses.

exarkun

Sunako said:
Graduation did it for me.

How is graduation disappointing? People keep saying this but wtf. Its a great album. I would really like to know what specifically laid people off of the album. Tbh, College Dropout was some realllllll shit. Great album, and if anything came off a little disappointing it was Late Registration because sometimes it felt a little disjointed. I like the album, but I'd rather listen to the other two.

Bah, didn't mean to get worked up but I had never heard people hating on Graduation til this thread and even then only recently.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pinko Marx said:
Not here maybe, but when he first came out PLENTY of people (read: pretty much everyone in the hip-hop world) was calling him that.
And I dunno if I'd call him consistent either. He's hit or miss, with more hits than misses.
True, hey I was one of them proclaiming he was god. The style was so fresh, the beats were so fresh and the lyrics were fresh to boot. I can see how someone could be fatigued of Kanye's experimentations with his beats and stuff but they continually amaze me.

I don't know who brought it up but the "who can relate to this (Ye raps) anymore" argument brought up before still is spinning me in a daze. Tons from graduation and 808s are plenty relatable for me. I especially don't understand this when (no shots) his lyrics are trash because they're unrelatable but Teflon Don is great. Not saying it's the same people saying this because I can't specify anyone who said either, but it's strange. *kanye shrug*

exarkun said:
How is graduation disappointing? People keep saying this but wtf. Its a great album. I would really like to know what specifically laid people off of the album. Tbh, College Dropout was some realllllll shit. Great album, and if anything came off a little disappointing it was Late Registration because sometimes it felt a little disjointed. I like the album, but I'd rather listen to the other two.

Bah, didn't mean to get worked up but I had never heard people hating on Graduation til this thread and even then only recently.

Graduation is disappointing because it doesn't hold up through the test of time to me. That and a few questionable songs, most specifically, Barry Bonds. Ugh.

Grzi

Str8 Killa leaked. It's great, still listening to it.
Rep 2 Tha Fullest makes me wonder where Jay Rock disappeared to? His verse goes pretty hard, plus he used to drop some dope music some time ago.
Wasn't his album supposed to come out already? The song he did with Lil' Wayne was dope too.

Tokubetsu

I was watching Bamboozled the other day and saw someone I hadn't thought about years in it:
Qofd8.jpg

What the fuck happened to Charli Baltimore? She go down with the Murder Inc ship too? :lol
Used to have a big crush on her when I was younger. I'd still hit it given oppurtunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYfGrgY0DxE

Riding the nostalgia train all the way into the 90s/early oughts.

Tokubetsu

(click for dl)
1. Dollar$ 4 Dope (Intro) (Produced by Rome)
2. Face Down (Produced by Develop)
3. National Anthem (Fuck The World) (Produced by L.A. Riot Music) | Music Video
4. Born 2 Roll
5. Str8 Killa No Filla ft. Big Kill (Produced by Block Bettaz)
6. In My Hood ft. L.E.P. Bogus Boys (Produced by Finger Roll)
7. Rep 2 Tha Fullest ft. Jay Rock (Prod. by DJ Burn One & B Flat Trax)
8. Slammin’
9. Live By The Game (Produced by Block Bettaz)
10. Serve Or Get Served (Interlude) (Produced by Statik Selektah)
11. P.S.A. (Pussy So Amazin’) (Produced by DJ Burn One)
12. Personal OG (Produced by Block Bettaz)
13. Best Friend (Produced by Speakerbomb)
14. Do Wrong ft. Pill (Produced by Koncept)
15. My City ft. V.P. & D-Edge
16. Crushin’ Feelin’s (Produced by Statik Selektah)
17. Goon Shit ft. Sick Jacken & Planet Asia (Prod. by Josh The Goon)
18. The Ghetto | Music Video
19. Rock Bottom ft. Bun B (Produced by K-Salaam & Beatnick)
20. 4681 Broadway (Prod. by L.A. Riot Music)
21. Slangin’ Rocks (Produced by Speakerbomb)

Make sure you support the actual EP, which drops next week as well:
pV2Xa.jpg

01 Str8 Killa No Filla [ft. Big Kill]
02 Rep 2 Tha Fullest [ft. Jay Rock]
03 National Anthem (Fuck The World)
04 The Coldest [ft. B.J. The Chicago Kid]
05 Personal OG
06 Live By the Game
07 Rock Bottom [ft. Bun B]
08 Oil Money [ft. Chuck Inglish, Chip Tha Ripper, Bun B & Dan Auerbach]

He goes over one of my favourite Webbie beats/tracks with Slammin' . If you like it, look up Webbie's "G-Shit"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DAMN, how did I sleep on Meth/Red's Blackout! 2? This album is hot.

Cruising to that Mrs. International right now.
Tokubetsu said:
I was watching Bamboozled the other day and saw someone I hadn't thought about years in it:
Qofd8.jpg

What the fuck happened to Charli Baltimore? She go down with the Murder Inc ship too? :lol
Used to have a big crush on her when I was younger. I'd still hit it given oppurtunity.

Remember that track she had with Ghostface Killah? That's still an all time fav of mine.

HiResDes

Pinko Marx said:
I'm with Toku, I don't think any of the Kanye albums have been disappointing.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:
I'm with Toku, I don't think any of the Kanye albums have been disappointing.

808 was obnoxiously bad but college dropout, late registration, and graduation are all fantastic albums. They had their issues here and there (except college dropout, which is nearly flawless) but they are all great albums. Kanye also gets too much shit regarding his lyrical ability, he is a solid lyricist, with far more skill than a lot of the other garbage ass rappers like gucci mane and wakaflockawhatthefuckever. He also has a great flow that is entertaining. I'd rather listen to a guy with an enjoyable flow and average lyrics that someone rapping the dictionary at 140bpm with a boring monotonous flow.

Oh and the Atmosphere album rankings are as follows

1. When Life Gives you Lemons (their most mature, deepest, brilliant album by a long shot. Ant's production reaches levels of brilliance few other producers in the world can match and Slug takes his lyrical content and delivery to a completely different level. This is one of the greatest albums ever made. Period.)

2. God Loves Ugly (Some of the production is actually kind of underwhelming, with a few forgettable songs. But with Slug coming into his own after showing signs of brilliance on Lucy Ford, it's also a fascinating album, filled with barely contained rage from slug. And while some of his beats were, as previously mentioned, somewhat weak...the good stuff is brilliant. The album's title track is probably my favorite Atmosphere song of all time. "I wear my scars like the rings on a pimp...."

3. Seven's Travels (such a hated album by so many, and yet it contains some of their best work. Yes it gets really bad in the middle of the album, but the first 1/3 of the album is brilliant. Trying to find a balance is one of the greatest beats ever concocted and slug just rips it apart. Shoes is a fantastic track that took me years to appreciate. Apple, 15 minutes of fame, and many others are all classics as well. Under-appreciated.

4. Lucy Ford (the spark of what was the come, it has some classic songs that are beautiful and haunting...and hilarious. Guns and Cigarettes is one of my top 5 favorite songs of all time. There are too many weak spots on the album to be any higher than 4th though. For every brilliant song, there is one that is just plain boring.)

5. Can't Imagine How Much Fun... (There is nothing particularly wrong with this album...but nothing particularly outstanding either. It's a solid album, but thats the problem, it's too short, too safe (save for one or two tracks) and honestly a little boring at times. But it is still better than 99% of other hip hop albums.)

6. Overcast (It's your standard 90's underground hip hop album, nothing about it really stands out besides scapegoat)

Also, if you combined all the great tracks from the various Sad Clown Bad Dub EP's...you'd have an album that sits right behind When Life... in the rankings. And leak at will is one of the best releases of last year, despite being only 7 tracks. Strickly Leakage was...fun and entertaining, but felt like a step back for me.

missbreedsiddx said:
Oh and the Atmosphere album rankings are as follows

1. When Life Gives you Lemons (their most mature, deepest, brilliant album by a long shot. Ant's production reaches levels of brilliance few other producers in the world can match and Slug takes his lyrical content and delivery to a completely different level. This is one of the greatest albums ever made. Period.)

2. God Loves Ugly (Some of the production is actually kind of underwhelming, with a few forgettable songs. But with Slug coming into his own after showing signs of brilliance on Lucy Ford, it's also a fascinating album, filled with barely contained rage from slug. And while some of his beats were, as previously mentioned, somewhat weak...the good stuff is brilliant. The album's title track is probably my favorite Atmosphere song of all time. "I wear my scars like the rings on a pimp...."

3. Seven's Travels (such a hated album by so many, and yet it contains some of their best work. Yes it gets really bad in the middle of the album, but the first 1/3 of the album is brilliant. Trying to find a balance is one of the greatest beats ever concocted and slug just rips it apart. Shoes is a fantastic track that took me years to appreciate. Apple, 15 minutes of fame, and many others are all classics as well. Under-appreciated.

4. Lucy Ford (the spark of what was the come, it has some classic songs that are beautiful and haunting...and hilarious. Guns and Cigarettes is one of my top 5 favorite songs of all time. There are too many weak spots on the album to be any higher than 4th though. For every brilliant song, there is one that is just plain boring.)

5. Can't Imagine How Much Fun... (There is nothing particularly wrong with this album...but nothing particularly outstanding either. It's a solid album, but thats the problem, it's too short, too safe (save for one or two tracks) and honestly a little boring at times. But it is still better than 99% of other hip hop albums.)

6. Overcast (It's your standard 90's underground hip hop album, nothing about it really stands out besides scapegoat)

Also, if you combined all the great tracks from the various Sad Clown Bad Dub EP's...you'd have an album that sits right behind When Life... in the rankings. And leak at will is one of the best releases of last year, despite being only 7 tracks. Strickly Leakage was...fun and entertaining, but felt like a step back for me.

Nice run down of the albums, I pretty much agree with it, although for me I'd bump up #5 a spot or two if I were to make the list.

I never expected much from Kanye, so his albums never disappointed me really, but I have been listening to him a little more lately.

-

Question: Does anybody know of a good website that sells audio equipment for the cheap? Either a Craigslist-type site or something else, the only thing place I usually go is Guitar Center to check general prices. Keyboards, MPC's, recording, all of that.

harSon

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Qofd8.jpg

Her daughter is pretty hot: http://realgossip101.blogspot.com/2008/06/rapper-charli-baltimore-returns-to-inc.html

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
EDIT: Woah weird as fuck. I was typing this post and she goes without me even mentioning anything and goes

"illz is awesome btw"

and this was why I was making my original comment. I hit post, and went back to the chat thread and she had posted that. WOAH.

So I was chatting with my GF online tonight and she just randomly slides in...

btw I like the Illz

Yeah GAF-Hop I think this one could be greatness!

AkuMifune

Banned
Been out of hip-hop for awhile but recently rediscovered Aesop Rock, man that guy is awesome. Apparently he's with The Weathermen now...anyone know if their stuff is any good any when they'll release an album?

Jay Sosa

Valru said:
more vizzy

XV – Squares (prod. Johnny Juliano)
http://usershare.net/2DopeBoyz/rqs99ko42grl

You got to be kidding me :lol

XV is with Good Music? Not sure if I like that, I rather hear him over Juliano beats (Wiz/Taylor Gang) well except the sometimes awful autotune hooks.

He is one of my favs of all these up and coming rappers "Looks like Farah Fawcett, drop dead gorgeous, Vizzy how can you be so cold hearted?"

Ordered his first album "Complex" but It got lost on the way to me :C

And now it's all expensive and shit.

My post from two months ago :lol

Can't wait to dl that Gibbs tape and thanks for the quick reviews of the Bun records, will buy the first one..not a big fan of feature heavy solo records.

Bought that Currensy album too, it'S a bit expensive but he gave me so much free music this past few years I felt I owe it to him.

Jay Sosa

missbreedsiddx said:

Bought the album because of the track and was disappointed, haven't listened to it in years. Will rip it on my Fuze and give it another chance.

Btw: Haven't realized that EP is gonna hit the stores (hopefully amazon as well as it's the only chance to get my hands on this) so I'm not gonna dl the tape and buy the EP instead.

Gotta support this dude.

Tokubetsu

Jay Sosa said:
Bought the album because of the track and was disappointed, haven't listened to it in years. Will rip it on my Fuze and give it another chance.

Caged bird sings has always been one of my favorite Slug tracks. That and "Always Coming Home Back To You" if only because I relate to the line "hip hop and comic books was my genesis" despite how cheesy it might be :lol

Jay Sosa

Oh yeah the bird song is awesome too, but I remember that the album gets a bit mediocre (at least I thought so after a few songs).

Btw: Gibbs EP can be preordered on amazon, even the German one. And it's only 8€, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Blackhead

Redarse
missbreedsiddx said:
808 was obnoxiously bad but college dropout, late registration, and graduation are all fantastic albums. They had their issues here and there (except college dropout, which is nearly flawless) but they are all great albums. Kanye also gets too much shit regarding his lyrical ability, he is a solid lyricist, with far more skill than a lot of the other garbage ass rappers like gucci mane and wakaflockawhatthefuckever. He also has a great flow that is entertaining. I'd rather listen to a guy with an enjoyable flow and average lyrics that someone rapping the dictionary at 140bpm with a boring monotonous flow.

Anyone can look good when compared to Gucci mane. The problem with recent Kanye is that it's not as good as old Kanye, it appears he used up all his good lines in his first album *shrug*

Didn't Charli Baltimore get derailed by baby/baby daddy or something? The industry is cruel and quick to forget.

Tokubetsu

Jay Sosa said:
Oh yeah the bird song is awesome too, but I remember that the album gets a bit mediocre (at least I thought so after a few songs).

Btw: Gibbs EP can be preordered on amazon, even the German one. And it's only 8€, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yea I bought the EP as well. Getting ready for another mass order closer to my birthday. New Killah Priest, Kill Devil Hills pre-order and some back catalog shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom