• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickD

HiResDes said:
Honestly I'm skipping it; I've got too much other new shit to listen to it right now...You wouldn't believe.

Share with us fool. Most of my new ish comes from you!

The M.O.B

It ain't bad, I will probably keep around 6 or 7 of the tracks(out of like 20 tracks).

I mean if you like The Game then this should definitely be a download for you. Otherwise like me, you will only find a couple of tracks that are dope.

Jay Sosa

Another day another mixtape:

Bohagon_The_Victory_Lap-front.jpg

Dude's been MIA for a few years, love this tape so far, only heard the first 6 tracks though (no traffic jam)

LINK

Tokubetsu

Enjoying a couple tracks off this:

Haven't given it a full listen yet but the tag line is pretty accurate "a concise study in Westcoastsynthesizerbeachbumgangstermusic"

Regardomg the GAME mixtape, I really wish we could all agree on 192kbps for mp3 mixtapes instead of this 128 stream garbage. It's better than RED so far though and I liked RED.

Grzi

Game's mixtape is pretty good. A couple of boring tracks, but it's okay. My hopes for the album are now way up, plus I'm a fan of all of his albums.
Also hope we'll get a tagless version of the mixtape soon.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wale's mixtape out today?

EDIT: The Game uses an Eminem track on the mixtape? Nice.

EDIT 2: On second thought, neither Game nor Snoop bring the same energy to that track that Em does, not really a fan.

Kimosabae

Banned
Gotta post this before I bounce:

'If It Ain't Been in A Pawnshop, Then it Can't Play the Blues'

41WRJAP1AYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A lot of peeps consider this the Illmatic of the new millennium. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see why some would think that. It's a damn sick album and has a very similar vibe (of course, there's the album cover). It showcases Qwel's superlative conceptual capabilities and production is varied is sooo uniformly sick (DJ White Lightning).

'If it Ain't Been in a Pawnshop...'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZXOSvgpfSY

'The Highest Commitment'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgrsQMt5a80
This is the best
weed
song I ever heard.

'The Art of War (feat. Robust)'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJy43Yf1kg
Sick beat, great topic.

'19.99 AD (feat. Robust)'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyVeE_ZvTSU
This song epitomizes why I think Qwel is so special. Only he can profess right-wing Christian ideologies and make me actually sit and listen. No one else I've heard in the game approaches the art from this angle and is so undeniably dope.

To the dude that was asking for Aesop stuff to check out - check your PMs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't even bring myself to listen to the Game mixtape as it'll just feel like the throwaway tracks overshadow the few good ones and it'll end up a waste of disk space like the Red Room tape. God Game what happened to you..

HiResDes

I'm super LTTP, but I had never heard Add-2's Tale of Two's City Vol. 2...

add2_front.jpg

DL LINK

...It's fucking sick! Maybe even better than the third volume. This is a must-download if you've never heard it.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
I can't even bring myself to listen to the Game mixtape as it'll just feel like the throwaway tracks overshadow the few good ones and it'll end up a waste of disk space like the Red Room tape. God Game what happened to you..

It's way better than Red Room. Promise.

Slizz

Anyone listening to the new Bun B album?

Lovin' it could be biased since I've always liked Bun. However with all the shit he has put out recently on the mixtape circuit and freestyle circuit I'm not surprised at the quality this CD is.

EDIT:
AND HERE IT IS:
20100803-WALE1.jpg

20100803-WALE2.jpg

DL

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Slizz said:
Anyone listening to the new Bun B album?

Lovin' it could be biased since I've always liked Bun. However with all the shit he has put out recently on the mixtape circuit and freestyle circuit I'm not surprised at the quality this CD is.

Listening to Trill OG now. "I Get Down for Mine" has been getting repeated for the past 30 mins, lol. It is a really good album. Even the Drake tracks are banging. I have loved UGK since the first cassette tape they put out back in the day (I still have it, btw). This CD shows his development and maturity. I wish I could hear the track with Raekwon though. On twitter Bun said it was held back. I can only assume for label issues.

I think that "Let'Em Know" is my favorite track though. Bun over a Primo beat is nice.

HiResDes

Seriously though I don't know what that Add-2 tape to get lost in the fray, if you've haven't heard it please check it out. I think it's one of my top ten favorite hip-hop albums of all time.

HiResDes

Slizz said:
Yeah, this Wale mixtape is pretty fucking ridiculous, no days off indeed.
I listened to Guilty Pleasure first and was pissed...Then I realized the rest of the tape is spectacular.

Tokubetsu

I love these bs comments Dre gave Vibe about detox:
When you first announced Detox did you think it would take this long?
Absolutely not. I thought it would take at worst case a couple of years. For example, actual work time on The Chronic was nine months and actual work time on my last album, 2001, was about 10 months. The actual work time on this album is about half of that, where I’m seriously focusing on it. There is always something coming up. Like signing talent, old and new.

So “Under Pressure” leaking was killer.
It was a little bit more frustrating because at least “Crack a Bottle” had a hook on it. I wouldn’t be as mad at a leak if the song was done.

Can you blame the fans for wanting to hear something after all this time?
Absolutely not. I’m not mad at the fans. I’m mad at the person that leaked the shit. I have no idea how it got out. It’s not even worth looking to see who did it. It happens. The most painful part about it is that I’m passionate about what I do so people should hear it in the right form.

There were some other reference tracks that leaked with T.I. and Ludacris lyrics. Were those legit?
Two of them were. Somebody actually hacked into our emails, so that made our red flags go up. We’re in a new age and that’s a sign: Wake up motherfucker. You have to be more careful with your shit. That’s all there is to it. I know what’s up now.

You mentioned a hip-hop album without rapping. Will we ever hear a Dr. Dre instrumental album?

Oh yeah, that’s in the works. An instrumental album is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I have the ideas for it. I want to call it The Planets. I don’t even know if I should be saying this, but fuck it. [Laughs.] It’s just my interpretation of what each planet sounds like. I’m gonna go off on that. Just all instrumental. I’ve been studying the planets and learning the personalities of each planet. I’ve been doing this for about two years now just in my spare time so to speak. I wanna do it in surround sound. It’ll have to be in surround sound for Saturn to work.
http://nahright.com/news/2010/08/03...l-album-vibe-cover-story-excerpt/#more-198634

Like he was really working with any of his "talent" in a way that didn't allow him a good ten months the fucking seven year time since it's been announced. More than half of the dudes he's signed were dropped or jumped shit. Joell Ortiz, Bishop Lamont, Eve, Rakim, Busta Rhymes, Stat Quo....and all those were just in like, the last fiveish years.

Jay Sosa

Kimosabae said:
Only he can profess right-wing Christian ideologies and make me actually sit and listen. No one else I've heard in the game approaches the art from this angle and is so undeniably dope.

So I didn't understand him wrong on Freezer Burner when he was talking bout not being an ape or some similar creationist bs, how can such an intelligent dude be so ignorant?

Thanks for the heads up anyway..

Seriously though I don't know what that Add-2 tape to get lost in the fray, if you've haven't heard it please check it out. I think it's one of my top ten favorite hip-hop albums of all time.

Listened to one of his tapes the other day while mowing my lawn (No pun I was just mowing my lawn :D ) and loved it, dunno why I haven't listened to it earlier since it was the first tape I downloaded after discovering this thread.

And damn that Wale cover is awesome, too bad I don't really get all the praise. Back to the feature was mediocre at best(maybe it's because I hate records with a trillion features) but will dl the tape anyway.

And thanks for the links as always can't wait to hear that Nickelus F tape.

Jay Sosa

How can anyone fav song not be the last track? (that starts at 5:00) That one alway brings tears to my eyes.

Boy meets world

But of course all the songs on this album are brilliant wonder why it took him so long to release (another?) video

exarkun

Alright G's, what the verdict on Bun B's cd. Best yet? (don't compare to UGK but among his solo albums). Im gonna cop it anyway since I support him but I wanna know if im getting that good quality shit.

HiResDes

exarkun said:
Alright G's, what the verdict on Bun B's cd. Best yet? (don't compare to UGK but among his solo albums). Im gonna cop it anyway since I support him but I wanna know if im getting that good quality shit.
I don't think it's as good as everyone else, but maybe that's because I'm still salty the mp3 download was 10 bucks...I'd give it a 7/10. Trillionaire is such an awful song, instant delete as soon as I got the album.

kamspy

Woke up hyped for Wale and Bun B.

Will go to bed slightly meh'd.

Amazing fact - longest lasting album of the summer for me is Teflon Don. Dude needs to be checked for rap steroids. I didn't like his older stuff. Completely wrote him off. But TD can't find it's way out of my CD player.

The M.O.B

Where is that XV mixtape Vizzy Zone??? I thought it was coming today, its the only one left that has not dropped.

I'm expecting big things from XV.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Woke up hyped for Wale and Bun B.

Will go to bed slightly meh'd.

Amazing fact - longest lasting album of the summer for me is Teflon Don. Dude needs to be checked for rap steroids. I didn't like his older stuff. Completely wrote him off. But TD can't find it's way out of my CD player.
I have a feeling Wale's mixtape is going to grow on you...Make sure you delete the songs off of it that you absolutely hate and listen to it again. I think if it had been cut to about 12 songs it would be a fucking classic.

BTW, for such a big day in relation to drops today this thread is moving really slow.

hie

Devil Theory said:
Wow, he's one goofy looking dude. It kind of ruins the song for me he's so odd looking.

eh...huh? looks like a normal dude to me...Arin Owens looks quite a bit goofier than that cat. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom