• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChldRebelSoldr said:
Lupe does a cappella intro to Food & Liquor II.

I was already sold on F&L II with Go To Sleep but I'm even more excited for it.

Lupe treats a Marquette University Hip-Hop forum to some bars from his next, next album, Food & Liquor II. Yeah, its that exclusive. We getting Lupe verses 2 albums early, out here son. That's like driving a 2013 maserati in 2009.
am I reading that description wrong, because it sounds like there is something between Lasers and F&L2

CRS

GodfatherX said:
am I reading that description wrong, because it sounds like there is something between Lasers and F&L2

Might have been a typo but they could be talking about the Friend of the People mixtape that's supposed to drop before F&L2.

IrishNinja

PhoenixDark said:
So where's that G Unit stan who said Nikki Minaj's album would outsell Kanye's? Don't want to bring sales-age here but...

fall back son

...if someone actually said this (and wasn't trolling), they deserve a tag.

commissar

GodfatherX said:
well lasers isn't out, so that's still his 'next' album, so f&l2 would be after that IMO
in 2015

Double D

siddx said:
I said it before and i'll say it again.

Go pick up Yelawolf's album. It's sick as fuck. Top three of the year for me. It goes HARD, perfect riding around music, especially if you have subs.

I youtubed him after I read your post. After about 10 seconds I was ready to come back and openly mock you and your terrible taste. I decided to check out some more stuff, seeing crazy collabo's with Big Boi, and Travis Barker playing the drums live and some other shit. Long story short, I got the album, played it the whole ride home (Hello thar subs) and ended up listening to it while I played Hot Pursuit last night.

In the span of about 2 hours I went from thinking Yelawolf was the worst shit I have heard/seen in ages, to thinking it was one of the best things to come out this year. Don't sleep.

peterb0y said:
Same, but then again Shinobi thinks Wu-Tang Forever is better than 36 Chambers (still love you though man, but you're wrongggg)

Also, Toku, I used to think along those lines, and hated his track on Wu Massacre, but New Wu and Black Mozart were fucking great off OB4CL2, and Dark Fantasy is the tits. I have faith in RZA
Let me break it down to you on WHY, Wu 4 ever is a better album than 36 chambers. The production style of that album is something that a lot of underground producers use till this day, it was a game changer. There is no album as diverse as Wu 4ever. RZA got to do what he couldn't do on 36 chambers with this album, and with better equipment. Tracks like "Reunited" "As High as Wu-Tang Get" "Little Ghetto Boys" "The Projects" "Triumph" "M.G.M" "Hellz Wind Staff" and that motherfucking track "Heaterz" my dude....Shit, "Bells Of War" murders everything on 36 chambers besides CREAME. They went hard on Wu 4EVER with their lyrics, fam. You need to youtube those joints I mention and get a refresher course on the gods, my dude. Everytime a DJ plays a Wu track from 36 chambers, it always happens to be the same 2 tracks, not the case with Wu 4ever.

And as for a RZA' less Wu album, why not. The man hasn't been the same since the early 2k's. And when he got the gig for Kill Bill...He just got worst. Rae is the new leader of the Wu IMO.

ShinobiFist said:
And as for a RZA' less Wu album, why not. The man hasn't been the same since the early 2k's. And when he got the gig for Kill Bill...He just got worst. Rae is the new leader of the Wu IMO.

Alright, I'll give it to you, the RZA most def has not been the same, and I wouldn't mind a RZA-less Wu album, but thats all I'll give you. Rae as the leader of the Wu? Ninja please. Have you heard Chamber Music? The Afro Samurai soundtrack? Lets not forget that Dark Fantasy on Conway's album was mostly RZA's doing as well. Its obvious Bobby Digital still has what it takes to claim his top spot as a producer.

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:
Alright, I'll give it to you, the RZA most def has not been the same, and I wouldn't mind a RZA-less Wu album, but thats all I'll give you. Rae as the leader of the Wu? Ninja please. Have you heard Chamber Music? The Afro Samurai soundtrack? Lets not forget that Dark Fantasy on Conway's album was mostly RZA's doing as well. Its obvious Bobby Digital still has what it takes to claim his top spot as a producer.

As i said earlier man, Rza is just ONE of six producer who had input on Dark fantasy. There is absolutely no way of telling what part of Dark Fantasy is actually his doing and frankly, based on all the behind the scenes shit, his input doesn't seem that intense/hands on. More of a mentor, advice sort of input.

Haven't really listened to Chamber Music since it dropped honestly, but I've professed my love for the Afro Samurai soundtracks here before.

Tokubetsu said:
As i said earlier man, Rza is just ONE of six producer who had input on Dark fantasy. There is absolutely no way of telling what part of Dark Fantasy is actually his doing and frankly, based on all the behind the scenes shit, his input doesn't seem that intense/hands on. More of a mentor, advice sort of input.

Well it certainly sounds like a RZA beat, but whatever. Forget Dark Fantasy, Chamber Music and the Afro Samurai OST are more than enough to show that RZA hasn't lost his touch.

I would suggest you check out Chamber Music, there are some certified bangers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTXTuTxmLw

Pinko Marx said:
4th disciple>RZA. Is that simple. Chamber music was just RZA saying "I want this, over here" he didn't do anything. He was the exc producer on that album. He rarely touch the MPC for that project, he didn't give Bobby or Andrew any vision. Bobby Perry and Andrew are the ones that gave that project any soul. Not RZA. RZA is done, Just like Conway. And on the Afro Samurai project, he had P-Son and Bronze Nazareth to calm his ass down and getting he ass some samples at times. RZA can still do RZA, but he needs to be told HARD BODY.

ShinobiFist said:
4th disciple>RZA. Is that simple. Chamber music was just RZA saying "I want this, over here" he didn't do anything. He was the exc producer on that album. He rarely touch the MPC for that project, he didn't give Bobby or Andrew any vision. Bobby Perry and Andrew are the ones that gave that project any soul. Not RZA. RZA is done, Just like Conway. And on the Afro Samurai project, he had P-Son and Bronze Nazareth to calm his ass down and getting he ass some samples at times. RZA can still do RZA, but he needs to be told HARD BODY.

Agreed. While Dark Fantasy is a hard ass beat, overall RZA fell off long ago. He's simply no longer interested in producing, his mind is on a million other things. Have you guys checked any of the song from his Wu Wednesday thing? Shit is ridiculous. As in bad

If the Wu was smart they'd be following Raekwon's blueprint. Give the fans what they want, tour, ally yourself with good producers/rappers, capitalize off the base you already have. Dude is financially set while Ghostface bums around begging people to buy his album. Shit makes me want to cry. Ghost is still a great rapper and could be so much more successful

Nabs

rza is still super talented, he just needs someone to tell him when to stop. more than a designated driver. i probably wont enjoy another rza project unless he works closely with someone else.

ShinobiFist said:
That trailer was horribly put together. Is it a doc of their careers, or just the past 5 years of TCQ concerts, and what they went through? But other then that, can't wait.

not sure. probably a little of everything.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Agreed. While Dark Fantasy is a hard ass beat, overall RZA fell off long ago. He's simply no longer interested in producing, his mind is on a million other things. Have you guys checked any of the song from his Wu Wednesday thing? Shit is ridiculous. As in bad

If the Wu was smart they'd be following Raekwon's blueprint. Give the fans what they want, tour, ally yourself with good producers/rappers, capitalize off the base you already have. Dude is financially set while Ghostface bums around begging people to buy his album. Shit makes me want to cry. Ghost is still a great rapper and could be so much more successful

I'm hoping 2010 will be Ghost's year since he'll be out of that Def Jam contract after Apollo Kids. Hopefully he'll link up with Rae and everything will be great. Now all I need is for Meth to leave Def Jam too and finally we'll get the Crystal Method we all deserve.

Tokubetsu said:
I'm hoping 2010 will be Ghost's year since he'll be out of that Def Jam contract after Apollo Kids. Hopefully he'll link up with Rae and everything will be great. Now all I need is for Meth to leave Def Jam too and finally we'll get the Crystal Method we all deserve.

Hell yea. All three of them are still potent rappers. They aren't going to sell tons of records but Raekwon proved they can sell more than enough to stay relevant and get labels sniffing again. I hope Ghost goes indie. So many producers want to work with him. Release another great record and tour the shit out the world.

HiResDes

New Dope Mixtapes

Kris Kasanova
- Amazing production, effortless flowing, this guys sounds like he's going to be pretty big. This mixtape > the latter half of my top ten list

KK_COVER_COMPS_FNL.jpg
KK_BACK_COMP_1.jpg

Shake said:
Brooklyn-spitta Kris finally lets loose his first musical effort, aptly titled The Long Way Home. The entire project is produced by Ibe who has had his hand behind the boards of such greats as Faith Evans, Smoke DZA, Mickey Factz and Keyshia Cole. The project / EP is brought to you by Homeskool, Flight Club NYC and the letter K. Grab it now for free from Homeskool’s Bandcamp page.

DOWNLOAD OR STREAM

D/Will & Dominue Larue - This 5 song EP/Mixtape is good from start to finish, obviously, featuring a quailty femcee and even better production

carpe.jpg

DOWNLOAD

Reviews

Joell Ortiz's Free Agent - 7/10, Solid. If you get the album digitally do yourself a favor and delete "Checkin For You," "Nursery Rhyme," and "So Hard." Best songs are mostly those that already leaked: "Battle Cry," "Call Me," "Cocaine," and "Intro"

Deacon the Villain's Niggaz With Latitude - 9/10, Superb great production and some soulful rapping skills make this album one very different sounding yet completely satisfying. I enjoyed it even more than Kno's Death is Silent, though this album has more in common with an early Field Mob than the aforementioned one.

PhoenixDark said:
Hell yea. All three of them are still potent rappers. They aren't going to sell tons of records but Raekwon proved they can sell more than enough to stay relevant and get labels sniffing again. I hope Ghost goes indie. So many producers want to work with him. Release another great record and tour the shit out the world.
This. All of it, x10.

Tokubetsu

ShinobiFist said:
This. All of it, x10.

I don't see how he wouldn't. He's already a legend, how many more than capable underground/indie producers/artists who grew up on his shit wouldn't give their left nut to work with dudes like rae and ghost?

Prez

Does anyone have some recommendations for my kind of hiphop? My favorite albums:

The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Warren G - Regulation
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
The Fugees - The Score
Erykah Badu - Baduizm (live)
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die

Tokubetsu said:
I don't see how he wouldn't. He's already a legend, how many more than capable underground/indie producers/artists who grew up on his shit wouldn't give their left nut to work with dudes like rae and ghost?

Exactly. Guys like 9th (who I'm not a fan of but can still make good beats every now and then), Statik, Madlib, Odisee, Ski Beatz, etc work with a host of rappers who aren't particularly big or successful. Money shouldn't be a problem. Same applies to Nas lol

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Exactly. Guys like 9th (who I'm not a fan of but can still make good beats every now and then), Statik, Madlib, Odisee, Ski Beatz, etc work with a host of rappers who aren't particularly big or successful. Money shouldn't be a problem. Same applies to Nas lol

I think Nas is getting there, slowly but surely.

RJT

Stabbie said:
Does anyone have some recommendations for my kind of hiphop? My favorite albums:

The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Warren G - Regulation
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
The Fugees - The Score
Erykah Badu - Baduizm (live)
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
I'm assuming you like Soul influenced laid back hiphop. Biggie is kind of an outlier there, but it's a great album, so no problem. If so, I'd reccomend:
Everything by the Roots (especially Things Fall Apart).
Mos Def and Talib Kweli are... Blackstar (my personal favorite album ever)
Little Brother - The Listening
Common - Like Water for Chocolate
De La Soul is Dead

Beezy

HiResDes said:

Kris Kasanova
- Amazing production, effortless flowing, this guys sounds like he's going to be pretty big. This mixtape > the latter half of my top ten list

KK_COVER_COMPS_FNL.jpg
KK_BACK_COMP_1.jpg

DOWNLOAD OR STREAM
Great album. Ibe is a friend of a friend, but I haven't heard much of his work until now. I had no idea he was that good.

kamspy

I blame the Bobby Digital social experiment he did on himself. It's like he never came back from being Bobby... :/ His flow and production went right down the shitter during the same period, and their just now barely scratching at what they once were. Barely.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
hie said:
Cool you dig it, but none of his stuff does anything for me. He doesn't sound very unique and his flow isn't very confident sounding. As was said...there's much better than this all over the place.
Its more about his vibe than his rap skills. I get 99% of his references and he had berserk playing in the background on one of his albums... He might make a song about birds or a silly song rapping about the ice cream man having "ice tickles." I cant really stick with people who make music like everyone else. That "I'm so confident i'll get fans based solely on my skills" style doesn't work on me. If the person has something to say i'll get into it, but who out there has rap that is coming from a creative, yet unique place that isn't talking about the usual?

So based on that alone, Turbo is the only rapper that has captured my interest. He makes street fighter songs and doesn't take it all too seriously. I am so open for recommendations of anyone who seems to fit this bill though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wtf can I get on this So Appalled track?

I spit hot bars.

Or at least sign me up to get on next time.

m3k

hey just found these old mix tapes... i like them thought id post incase someone wanted to hear some 95 new york rap

both 1 and 2 links can be found at this link

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2008/06/doo-wop-95-live-mixtapes

edit: sorry for long ass post but this is good so check it out
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3MDCED67
doo wop 95 live track listing

01- Intro
02- Representin' The Bronx
03- Representin' Central Islip
04- Representin' Queens
05- Representin' Uniondale
06- Representin' Brooklyn
07- Representin' The Bronx
08- Representin' Brooklyn
09- Representin' Brooklyn
10- Representin' Brooklyn
11- Representin' Brooklyn & Uptown
12- Ah Yeah
13- Representin' Staten Island
14- Funky Piano
15- Redrum
16- Don't Shut Down On A Player
17- In My Lifetime
18- Brooklyn Zoo
19- To The Death Remix
20- What The Bloodclot
21- Can't You See Remix
22- Headz Aint Ready
23- Shout Out
24- Boriquas On the Set
25- Shook Ones Pt. II
26- Supa Star
27- 1-2 Pass it
28- Cosmic Slop
29- Hows That
30- Gimme The Loot
31- PNC
32- Untitled
33- One On One
34- Cant Wait
35- Check The Method
36- Big Poppa
37- I Wanna Be Down Remix
38- I Wanna Be Down Doo Wop Remix

http://rapidshare.com/#!download|354tg|122961496|doo_wop-95_live_ii-1995-4hm.rar|92655
doo wop 95 live 2 track list

01. Intro
02. KRS-One Freestyle
03. Naughty By Nature Freestyle
04. Keith Murray/Redman Freestyle
05. Mobb Deep Freestyle
06. Big Noyd Freestyle
07. AZ Freestyle
08. Lost Boyz Freestyle
09. Uneek Freestyle
10. Smif N Wessun Freestyle
11. Mad Lion Freestyle
12. Channel Live Freestyle
13. King Just Freestyle
14. Busta Rhymes - Everything Remains Raw
15. GZA & Method Man - Shadowboxin
16. Luke & Biggie - Bust A Nut
17. LL Cool J - Hip-Hop
18. Smoothe Da Hustler - fu*k What Ya Heard
19. Busta Rhymes - Woo Hah
20. GZA - Investiagative Reports
21. Smoothe Da Hustler & Trigga - Broken Language
22. KRS-One - Rappaz R N Danja
23. Raekwon - Incarcerated Scarfaces
24. Group Home - Livin Proof
25. Blahzay Blahzay - Danger
26. Akinyele
27. Nine - When the sh*t Hits The Fan

toasty_T said:
blg_dtvsk_nwl_cvr.jpg

Deacon The Villain of Cunninlynguists and Sheisty Khrist's new joint Niggaz With Latitude (N.W.L) is out now (digitally)

Sample the full album over on bandcamp

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/niggaz-with-latitude-nwl

Ohhhhh myyyyy Gaaaaaaahhhhhhdddd

This is so good. Not as good as Death Is Silent (not many albums that have been in the last 10 years IMO) but damn fine music right here. The Outro is just siiiiiick.

K.Jack

siddx said:
Oh for fucks sake....

If you weirdos are gonna pull more of this Lil B basegod bullshit I'm going to have to abandon this thread again until it dies down.

I don't find a man who forcibly holds down hip hop music and rapes the fuck out of it with every lyric he recites remotely amusing.
I happen to like Lil B. He makes some good music, which I enjoy.

I really don't care how you feel about that.
KlockreN said:
Can someone please recommend me some good hiphop documentaries?
The only one i've watched so far is 'beef'.
Look for that doc, maybe called Freestyle, or Freestylin'.

RJT

KlockreN said:
"Scratch" is great, focuses on turtablism (obviously) but also sampling/production.

I also liked "Fade to Black", documentary on the making of Jay Z's Black Album. Especially the segments on "99 Problems" and "Lucifer".

BTW: thanks to the best of 2010 thread, I got to listen to Kno's Death is Silent. OMG! What an amazing album. Right now, it's fighting Kanye for album of the year, with The Roots as a close third.

HiResDes

KlockreN said:

This Is The Life is an amazing documentary on the legendary Good Life Cafe in South Central...It really opened my eyes up to how much hip-hop has truly digressed. It shows hip-hop at a time when it was at its most concentrated poetically. And many of the styles featured by the underground cats at this cafe were stolen by several mainstream cats later. If you're only going to watch one documentary, let this be the one:

l_0da68cb126f7432987be3f945de7c7d4-1.jpg

Interviewees include Myka 9 and P.E.A.C.E. of Freestyle Fellowship, Chali 2na and Cut Chemist of Jurassic 5, Medusa, Abstract Rude, Pigeon John, 2Mex, Chillin Villian Empire, Busdriver and many others. The director Ava DuVernay, known at the time as Eve, was herself an MC at the Good Life open-mic as part of the group Figures of Speech.

K.Jack

I found it.

It's called Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme.

Great look at the beginnings of the craft.

Tokubetsu said:
Thing is though, like six other producers had their hand in that beat. How much of that is RZA? We'll never know. A lot of the behind the scenes shit points to having more of an overseer style input on the tracks he helped with for MBDTF.

I thought it was pretty obvious who did what on Dark Fantasyfor the most part. The piano/synth loop is vintage RZA, while the chorus is most likely Kanye's addition considering he's a fan of Bon Iver. If I had to bet I'd say Kanye did the drums too; they don't sound like RZA's traditional harder shit.

Tokubetsu said:
Can't hate on Black Mozart or New Wu at all though but I'd like to think if RZA had handed Raekwon some 8 diagrams shit there would have been blow ups. There's also the fact that OB4CLII was six/seven years in the making. No telling how old those (or versions of those) beats might have orignally been.

I'd love to hear the original CLII before Rae brought in new producers/changed stuff. And like you said, who knows how old that stuff is.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
K.Jack said:
I happen to like Lil B. He makes some good music, which I enjoy.

I really don't care how you feel about that.

then why even respond?

Speaking of literature and film.
51G3WETZN7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Stop-Wont-History-Generation/dp/0312425791/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291334695&sr=1-2
This is a fascinating look at hip hop's early years. It's written far more about what helped hip hop rise rather than about hip hop itself. It still details some of the important players and moments. But it looks more at the society and world in general at the time and how hip hop became as popular and important as it did. It paints a vivid picture of New York through the 70's and 80's. Some parts drag a bit, but it's still very worth reading.

K.Jack

siddx said:
then why even respond? .

Just letting you know, that some of us will still talk about him. If that causes you to dislike or abandon the thread, I dunno what to say.

HiResDes

K.Jack said:
Just letting you know, that some of us will still talk about him. If that causes you to dislike or abandon the thread, I dunno what to say.

I really do think that somewhere hidden inside Lil' B is a musical genius...I mean just hearing some of his references and the samples he uses and songs like this:

I Killed Hip-Hop

Call it crazy or whatever but I really am starting to think that he is indeed sandbagging when it comes to rap, maybe as some sort of inside joke, or social experiment...I don't know why exactly, maybe just for our entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom