• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPS37

Spindashing voice sounds like this.

Almost ready to up my shit. Been having weird technical difficulties in the stu (parents' living room.)

So...I'm gonna be late for work...but I'm uploading my verse as I'm typing this. :)

It's up!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who's left to do verses on that song? Y'all should cook up a Kanye-style artwork for the song. I'd be willing to help make one of those, though I'm not sure if all the verse spots are allocated yet.

RPS37 said:
Spindashing voice sounds like this.

Almost ready to up my shit. Been having weird technical difficulties in the stu (parents' living room.)

So...I'm gonna be late for work...but I'm uploading my verse as I'm typing this. :)

It's up!

It doesn't help that I dress like Nero and he doesn't live that far away from me. :lol Nice, dude. One more contribution. That long assed verse. :lol

RPS37

spindashing said:
It doesn't help that I dress like Nero and he doesn't live that far away from me. :lol Nice, dude. One more contribution. That long assed verse. :lol

Paging Fixed2Broken. Go in!

IrishNinja

spindashing said:
Track 1: Thank You Based Justice (Feat. Lil B) :lol

:lol

sorry to bump the last few days of shit, i always have to get caught up: rapgenuis site is a trip, bookmarked "the long way home" to give it a go later, as well as that Tribe documentary, cause im hungry for anything ATCQ i can get these days (link's dead though, sadly).

Tokubetsu said:
I'm hoping 2010 will be Ghost's year since he'll be out of that Def Jam contract after Apollo Kids. Hopefully he'll link up with Rae and everything will be great. Now all I need is for Meth to leave Def Jam too and finally we'll get the Crystal Method we all deserve.

yeah, Def Jam's kinda been fucking Meth for a while now, i wasnt as big on what i heard off Blackout! 2 as the original, but he's still got some strong albums in him, i think. i dont know that id say Rae is/should be the new head of the Wu but i do appreciate the direction he's trying for, even seeing them fuck with lesser artists is better than irrelevancy/going hungry.

that said...i hope RZA comes hard on Liquid Swords 2 and delivers the kind of sound most of us here seem to be looking for, cause i gotta agree, his wu wednesday stuff hasn't been great.

Slizz

peterb0y said:
fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuck... i'd give my left nut to be in the 305 right now
It was tight. The rappers before were average to garbage but once Wiz jumped on stage the place went nuts and then he jus kept doind good song after good song. Also so much weed, it was a beautiful harmony of weed smoke billowing off the crowd the whole performance.

Tokubetsu

IrishNinja said:
:lol

sorry to bump the last few days of shit, i always have to get caught up: rapgenuis site is a trip, bookmarked "the long way home" to give it a go later, as well as that Tribe documentary, cause im hungry for anything ATCQ i can get these days (link's dead though, sadly).

yeah, Def Jam's kinda been fucking Meth for a while now, i wasnt as big on what i heard off Blackout! 2 as the original, but he's still got some strong albums in him, i think. i dont know that id say Rae is/should be the new head of the Wu but i do appreciate the direction he's trying for, even seeing them fuck with lesser artists is better than irrelevancy/going hungry.

that said...i hope RZA comes hard on Liquid Swords 2 and delivers the kind of sound most of us here seem to be looking for, cause i gotta agree, his wu wednesday stuff hasn't been great.

I still don't think we'll see LS2 next year if at all but I'm a bit of a pessimist.

JEKKI

Im digging into old music again, here's a gem from a very overlooked album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwdWf2az-2A

Chops f/ Phil Da Agony, Ras Kass, & Talib Kweli.

I wish Chops were a more active producer... I like his underground stuff better than his southern stuff.

-------

EDIT:

one more thing that's on my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz9pWUoOSss

the newest Swollen Members song, which is a group I absolutely loved when they released Balance.

Balance is a fucking underground classic, I consider it a plateau on the levels of a 3rd eye Vision type of record that underground rappers wish they could achieve but prolly never will.

off the strength of Balance I have never slept on a SM album, even tho they have all been either above average to straight up terrible (Heavy & Armed to the Teeth... :barf:). I guess theyre like my underground version of Mobb Deep or something...

If you have never heard Balance;

51fjAMkG3CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gb_5Ak64nY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT5_vvU2XO0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vqGyh5Avxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NedgZGyjjs

Swag

So I randomly bought Death is Silent on a whim after seeing it getting lots of nods in the Gaf-Hop 2010 thread.

Holy shit, this is some good shit. Production is ridiculous, RIDICULOUS. This is giving MBDTF a run for it's money as my favorite album of the year.

Lyrical Law Album Teaser (1 OF 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trm1CpbmbEw

BS-PR-LL-MOCKUP.jpg

Emcee Features : Planet Asia, Rock from Heltah Skeltah, Copywrite, Diabolic, K-solo, K-Rino, Ruste Juxx, Immortal Technique, Chino XL, Ras Kass, Popa Wu, Buddha Monk, Thirstin howl III, DZK, Presto, Chopp Devize, Flawless, Pilot Rai, Epitaph, LMS, Damo, Passion, Skarlit Rose, Hugh Hayes BUT Digable Planets (tbd), Killa Priest (tbd), Inspectah Deck (tbd), Jeru The Damaja (tbd) are To Be Determined and more.

Production Features : Reverse Polarity, Sicknature, Charlie G, Vherbal, DJ Kru, The Hypnotist and more.

HiResDes

Just rediscovered how dope this, while listening to Purp Kobain:

huntsville-international_f03_sample-300x300.jpg

...It make take the final spot in my top ten, if not for the track "Rising Sun" alone

Pinko Marx said:
PLUS A TROJAN IN MY POCKET...MATT LEINART.

I didn't like the dude off the bat because of that verse. Not that it was bad, but it annoyed me because he was feeling himself too much. Heard his toca tuesday freestyle, though, dude can spit.

Acid08

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
So I randomly bought Death is Silent on a whim after seeing it getting lots of nods in the Gaf-Hop 2010 thread.

Holy shit, this is some good shit. Production is ridiculous, RIDICULOUS. This is giving MBDTF a run for it's money as my favorite album of the year.
"Spread Your Wings" on that album is fucking INCREDIBLE. It's on repeat for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I listened to Mood Muzik 4 in its entirety straight, and then Free Agent straight a few hours later.

Mood Muzik 4 is really, really, thick you could say? Budden lays the shit on heavy, but I'm liking what I hear. But, I'm not feeling Free Agent so much. I don't know what it is but I love me some Joell but some of these songs aren't that great or don't come together well or something. Maybe I gotta give it a few more spins. Am I the only one who feels its pretty underwhelming?

Nabs

HiResDes said:
Just rediscovered how dope this, while listening to Purp Kobain:

huntsville-international_f03_sample-300x300.jpg

...It make take the final spot in my top ten, if not for the track "Rising Sun" alone

*nods* The Rain and the title track are my favorites

pistolpete2940 said:
I didn't like the dude off the bat because of that verse. Not that it was bad, but it annoyed me because he was feeling himself too much. Heard his toca tuesday freestyle, though, dude can spit.

I love that verse simply for that line. Makes me lol every time. Pusha T holds the crown for best verse though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Acid08 said:
"Spread Your Wings" on that album is fucking INCREDIBLE. It's on repeat for me.

Love that track
I gotta go with La Petite Mort or Loneliness as my favorites though.

Oh and while we are on the subject, I gotta know, am I the only one who gets agitated when Kno's verse on I wish I was dead comes on? The beat is amazing, tonedeff drops an amazing verse...and then Kno comes on and just drops a straight dogshit verse that should never have made it out of his notebook.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
Love that track
I gotta go with La Petite Mort or Loneliness as my favorites though.

Oh and while we are on the subject, I gotta know, am I the only one who gets agitated when Kno's verse on I wish I was dead comes on? The beat is amazing, tonedeff drops an amazing verse...and then Kno comes on and just drops a straight dogshit verse that should never have made it out of his notebook.

Same and I'm about the biggest Kno apologist you might meet. I let it slide simply because the beat is so fucking amazing and Tonedeff's verse is just out of this world. I wonder if he recorded it before Tone layed his verse down and just didn't feel like doing a new one? Kno is more than capable of laying down some metaphorical shit so it's weird to hear him get so fucking lazy on what is one of my favorite beats/tracks on the album.

That beat deserved a "Things I Dream" level verse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPdMmmOIOeg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Tokubetsu said:
Same and I'm about the biggest Kno apologist you might meet. I let it slide simply because the beat is so fucking amazing and Tonedeff's verse is just out of this world. I wonder if he recorded it before Tone layed his verse down and just didn't feel like doing a new one? Kno is more than capable of laying down some metaphorical shit so it's weird to hear him get so fucking lazy on what is one of my favorite beats/tracks on the album.

I just can't imagine letting something like that slip through. The only reason I let all my shitty verses and fuck ups slide on what i've recorded was the fact I had next to no time to record and therefor had no time to redo anything at all (16 tracks in 10 hours? yeah...) Well that and I suck to begin with. But it just stands out like a sore thumb of ass in a sea of brilliance on kno's album.
What a shame.

Kno redeems himself in a big way in the track Black Dog from NWL.

IWIWD is so sloppy in comparison. Kno drops some real gem verses sometimes, IWIWD would have been my track of the year if he came harder
pause

RPS37

HiResDes said:
Fixed2Broken needs to upload his GAF is So Appalled verse man, I can't wait to download this final version...C'mon bra!

I think I'm probably going to upload a second version of my verse before the end of the night.

LOZLINK

Pinko Marx said:
I love that verse simply for that line. Makes me lol every time. Pusha T holds the crown for best verse though.
Actually, I think Cyhi spits the best line in that song. I don't like the dude(actually I fucking hate him) but I gotta give respect for this
"met this girl on valentines day, fucked her in may
she found about april so chose to march"

Dammit. I wish I'd known about this earlier, I thought it was something you guys just started! Ah well, I'l toss my verse up separately.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOZLINK said:
Actually, I think Cyhi spits the best line in that song. I don't like the dude(actually I fucking hate him) but I gotta give respect for this
I'm so split on that line, his delivery of it is sick, but it just seems slightly cheesy when you think about it. But soo good to listen to.

Even though I'm not down with CyHi as a whole, that "I keep bitches by the twos, n*gga Noah's Ark" line is great. His delivery is pretty damn good.

Tokubetsu said:

Kno's thinking behind that verse was to not only tell the story he was presenting, but rap it the way he felt he would if he were in that kind of condition, hence the sort of droll delivery. He's said that he's well aware it isn't for everyone and knew it wouldn't be when he recorded it, but wanted to go a little beyond providing the narrative by also being in-character, so to speak, while he recorded it.

Sebulon3k said:

MORE MORE MORE

I mean Kanye's album is good and everything, but it can't stack up IMO. Death Is Silent is just insanely tight in every sense of the word.

LOZLINK

Death is Silent is just simply amazing. The production levels on it are insane and it sounds like a masterfully crafted symphony more than anything. Spread your wings is just amazing. As are most other songs !

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm gonna have to check out this Death is Silent nonsense in a week after exams. Once again I'll put blind faith in GAF to so far mixed results.

LOZLINK said:

That is awful.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
We can't be friends anymore.
What? Everyone here is praising it as the second coming so I'm gonna check it out once exams are over :lol

The M.O.B said:
Asian version of Wiz's "Black And Yellow"

:lol :lol I can't tell if it is supposed to be a parody or what.

Best version of Black & Yellow I've heard thus far is the West Coast one ft. Snoop & Game.

Also that J. Reyez dude is muchos shit at rapping. I've seen his videos before, dude's nothing special.

HiResDes

Net_Wrecker said:
MORE MORE MORE

I mean Kanye's album is good and everything, but it can't stack up IMO. Death Is Silent is just insanely tight in every sense of the word.

Death is Silent + Niggaz With Latitude > MBDF

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
I like how there are ten other dudes telling you the album is great, yet Enzo's opinion seems to be the only way that can sway you...:lol
Shit yeah, If I came into this thread, I wouldn't even trust my own opinion, its usually the most unpopular :lol

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
HiResDes said:
I like how there are ten other dudes telling you the album is great, yet Enzo's opinion seems to be the only way that can sway you...:lol
i know it sounds stupid but me and enzo have a similar taste when it comes to music.:lol i think thats about the only thing we can agree on =S

you and enzo are the only people i listen to when it comes to music.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
Shit yeah, If I came into this thread, I wouldn't even trust my own opinion :lol
Naw man, I didn't mean any disrespect by it. I like you as much as any guy can like another guy that he only knows through an internet forum. I was just commenting on the hilarity of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom