• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
I forgot about it, jeez :lol Hmm...Maybe I'll replace the Rockie Fresh joint, this is tough. I want to have eight, so this can be my new gimmick.

Edit: Toku was your Rawth EP in 128kbps too? I think that's what kinda pissed me off about it.

Edit 2: Toku happy?

I'm never happy. Work is never done.

Hootie

Can anybody point me to a link to Young Dirty Bastard/Boy Jones' mixtape? I know it got released like a month ago but I can't find it on the internet anywhere

Kimosabae

Banned
Anyone else often have album cover art they hate dissuade them from listening to it? Even if they know it's good?

Having that problem with 'Gutter Water'. Horrible cover art. I listened through once and liked it; but every time I have a hankerin' to listen to it and I see that cover art in my iPhone, I skip over it to something else.

HiResDes said:
(CLICK ARTWORK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS)

*(From Left To Right, Not in Ranking Order)*

Skewby - More or Less - At this point Skewy > XV. That's basically all you need to know. Skewby drops dope self-reflective lyrics over production reminiscent of heyday Little Brother tracks.

Tom Hardy - Secret of the Green Magic [NO DJ] - With the fun spontaneity of Asher Roth and the production of a new and improved 9th Wonder this mixtape is a classic whether it will be remembered as one or not.

Melo-X - More Merch
- There aren't many artists that sound like him. The beats he produces, and the rhymes he spits are unparalleled. He combines the best aspects of neo-soul, boom bap rap, and even at times electronics into one mesmerizing package

Remy Banks & Hannibal King - World Famous - Might feature the best laidback production of the year, rivaling even the vaunted Pilot Talks. Oh and Remy Banks of Children of the Night flows just as effortlessly as the aforementioned spitta.

Kris Kasanova - The Long Way Home - I don't think it would an exaggeration to say that this guy sounds like Blueprint/Black Album era Jay-Z and the production is also reminiscent of a Jay-Z joint...I mean this all in the best most dope way possible.

ScienZe - Hall Pass - This guy is basically the Blu of the East Coast, except he actually puts out tracks. So fucking poetical, featuring West Coast production, this is an ill laidback joint that is deep enough to play even if one is not getting blazed.

Rockie Fresh - The Otherside - Two-Thirds of this mixtape are immaculate, on some fantastic majestic type of shit. It's just a really well rounded album, featuring club worthy tracks, introspective joints, and a few laidback tracks as well...I just wish Rockie would focus on making a more cohesive album in the future.

Asher Roth & Nottz - RAWTH EP - This is like a match made in heaven, as Asher Roth manages (with the help of Nottz) to put out tracks on this EP that better every single track on his debut album. The production is quite varied, featuring boom bap shit, and some fairly experimental stuff. Asher is on his fun, clever mixtape-shit and the few guest features come correct as well.

Who do you think I'd appreciate most in this list? I need some new artists to listen too.

Kimosabae said:
Anyone else often have album cover art they hate dissuade them from listening to it? Even if they know it's good?
All the time, my friend. It works the other way, too. If a mixtape/album has an awesome cover art, I'm going to check it out.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
God, it's so shallow and stupid but I can't help it!

Nah, it's a real thing. Back when I used to actually go into store to buy shit and wanted to find something new, it was all based on the cover. Often times, if an artist/who ever is doing their art is good or appeals to me, their music will be too.

Fuck, to this day, I basically still buy metal and hardcore records based on their cover art 2010 had some fucking dope metal covers too:
g2wiR.jpg
2oMxE.jpg

27kPT.jpg
93PIY.jpg

uY9kK.jpg

RPS37

Kimosabae said:
Who do you think I'd appreciate most in this list? I need some new artists to listen too.

Just get all of em! I can vouch for Tom Hardy, ScienZe, Skewby, and Kris Kasanova, but out of the other 4 I just have the Rawth EP. That being said, I'm definitely a Children of the Night fan. Yes/No is totally good. I also liked that song I posted with Melo-X and Kendrick Lamar earlier. The only one out of the 8 I don't know anything about is RockieFresh.

Edit: *downloads Rockie Fresh tape

remember you're downloading free music, not pictures.

Kimosabae

Banned
Eh, I guess, it can't hurt to DL em' all. I asked that question because Hires seems to have a bead on what I want in a rapper.

Toku, those album covers are definitely sick. Not gonna lie, I don't like metal at all, but I want to hear what those albums are about, just from looking at the cover art.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Eh, I guess, it can't hurt to DL em' all. I asked that question because Hires seems to have a bead on what I want in a rapper.

Toku, those album covers are definitely sick. Not gonna lie, I don't like metal at all, but I want to hear what those albums are about, just from looking at the cover art.

Haha, Intronaut's "Valley of Smoke" is basically metal 2010s equivalent of Curren$y's Pilot Talk (stoner music).

MickD

Shit Track #2 on Rawth OMFG !!

I'll post my tops here in a second

NM I fucked up My itunes..

I'm from the south sooooooo =

1. Kanye
2. Big KRIT/ Chemical Warfare / Seared Foie Gras with Quince & Cranberry (Fat Free) - Much love to the haters - Kiss my ass
3. Freddie Gibbs - Str8 Killa/ Lloyd Banks - The Hunger For More 2
4. L.E. $ - Beautiful Struggle / KNO
5. Big Sean - finally famous

Fun Time - Childish Gambino - Cookin Sould (Teddy Pendergrass), Dessa, BAMBU, Budden, FLUENT ( its just beats), Freddie Joachim, G.O.O.D. Fridays, J Cole,J Lately, Mac miller, J Electronica, Joel Ortiz - Road Kill (Fuck), Lee Bannon - the big toy box, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, STS, Trey songs (fuck you)
nike nando,Wiz - Every CD he came out with, yelawolf

Let down - Clipse, Pimp C

Pop o the year = La Roux

IrishNinja

HighRes4president. i spend a lotta time trying to play catchup here, +1 to a fan of these catchup posts.

my man shinobi - i knew which track before reading the name, that one stood out on a great album, like how i couldnt stop looping "House of Flying Daggers" off OB4CL2.

Guys? Gals?

Level with me here.

This is NOT a troll, but an honest to goodness question. I've been a fan of rap since the 80's. I'm crazy old. 34. Couple years younger than Eminem himself. He's closing in on 40!

My question - Do people deep, deep in the hip-hop community, of all colors/races/ethnicities, really and truly rate Eminem? I am sorry but I just don't get it, and never have. Not now, not in 2001, never.

I am so frigging hard to upset when it comes to crude language but Eminem is just such a garbage mouth, I can't even stand it. I went to the lengths to CUT OUT both of his verses in my mp3 of Roman's Revenge w/Nicki Minaj. Not that she isn't a foulmouth too but I didn't hear rapid-fire hate speech in her verses.

I'm not kidding about this: The best thing I have ever seen him do, is let Lil Wayne do 6 Foot 7 Foot on Saturday Night Live a couple weeks ago, alone. That was huge for me. Eminem stopped, put his head down, and walked off with his hype man - as Wayne walked on. I was thinking - that's just fuck-all awesome. Good for you Eminem.

Kanye West rates him. Describes him as un-toppable. "Nobody's going to be bigger than Em." Kanye is on record saying this. So Kanye is trying for the number 2 slot. But... seriously? I mean, night and day difference when it comes to how I react to Eminem as compared to so very many other rappers. The fact that someone like Pusha T has any sort of struggle boggles my mind, while Eminem is just praised up & down. Red carpet. Loved by millions. Totally lost on me.

I know, I know he's popular and has advanced rap to some degree with wild speed, multi-syllabic (am I saying that right?) rhyming and general technical acumen. That said I've been able to tolerate 1 song by Eminem to date. It's not due to his turbulent personal life/addictions, or that I prefer black rappers over whatever else, it's that I think he's got a shrill voice, yells constantly, and just sounds like a seriously twisted and hateful man. I don't understand how I have over 20 years of rap-listening in my background, and can't get on board at all with the guy.

I am I alone?

HiResDes

If you don't like Eminem's verse on Roman's Revenge why not get the version with Busta Rhymes, I personally hate the song and pretty much every thing Nicki puts out that's not a feature, but Busta's verse is pretty fire. But I must say there is no such thing as being too foul-mouthed for hip-hop :lol, that's almost an oxymoron. Eminem's speedy flow and complex rhyme schemes and the fact that he kills every feature he's on are pretty much the sole reason he is still rated so highly. I'd put him in my top 25, but definitely not my top ten like so many others.

HiResDes said:
If you don't like Eminem's verse on Roman's Revenge why not get the version with Busta Rhymes, I personally hate the song and pretty much every thing Nicki puts out that's not a feature, but Busta's verse is pretty fire. But I must say there is no such thing as being too foul-mouthed for hip-hop :lol, that's almost an oxymoron.

Nah - there's a limit.
I believe you that a Busta Rhymes version would be excellent. I'll look out for it.

With regard to the limit, these are his mouth-farts on Roman's Revenge:
Verse 1:
I ain’t into S and M, but my whip’s off the chain
a little drop of candy paint drips off the frame
twisted-ass mind, got a pretzel for a brain
an eraser for a head, f-cking pencil for a frame **AA Note: It's all downhill from here**
you don’t like it then peel off bitch
every last woman on Earth I’ll kill off
and I still wouldn’t f-ck you, slut
so wipe the smile on your grill off
I swear to God I’ll piss a Happy Meal off
get the wheels turning, spin a wheel off
snap the axel in half, bust the tie-rod
quit hollering “Why, God?”
He ain’t got sh-t to do with it
Bygones will never be bygones
so won’t be finished swallowing my wad
I ain’t finished blowing it, nice bra
hope it’ll fit a tough titty, bitch
life’s hard, I swear to God
life is a dumb blonde white broad with fake tits and a bad dye job
who just spit in my f-cking face and called me a f-cking tightwad
so finally I broke down and bought her an iPod
and caught her stealing my music
so I tied her arms and legs to the bed
set up the camera and pissed twice on her
look, two pees and a tripod!
the moral to the story is, life’s treating you like dry sod?
kick it back in its face, my God
it’s Shady and Nicki Minaj, you might find the sight quite odd
but don’t ask why, bitch
(ask why not)

The wo-world is my punchin’ bag and
If I’m garbage, you’re a bunch of maggots
Make that face, go on, scrunch it up at me
Show me the target so I can lunge and attack it

Verse 2
:
A-a-a-a-all you little faggots can suck it, no homo
but I’ma stick it to ‘em like refrigerator magnets
and I’m crooked enough to make straitjackets bend
yeah, look who’s back again, bitch
keep acting as if you have the same passion I have
yeah right, still hungry, my ass
You ass-dicks had gastric bypass
Ain’t hot enough to set fire to dry grass
And ’bout as violent as hair on eyelids (eyelash!)
go take a flying leap of faith off a f-cking balcony
‘fore I shove a falcon wing up your fly ass
you know what time it is, so why ask?
Slim Shady and Nicki’s World’s clashing
It’s high class meets white trash

Hate speech, as far as I'm concerned.
Screw him. A good bit of that is just - stupid. Base. I mean, "ass-dicks"?

DominoKid

awesomeapproved said:
Guys? Gals?

Level with me here.

This is NOT a troll, but an honest to goodness question. I've been a fan of rap since the 80's. I'm crazy old. 34. Couple years younger than Eminem himself. He's closing in on 40!

My question - Do people deep, deep in the hip-hop community, of all colors/races/ethnicities, really and truly rate Eminem? I am sorry but I just don't get it, and never have. Not now, not in 2001, never.

I am so frigging hard to upset when it comes to crude language but Eminem is just such a freaking garbage mouth, I can't even stand it. I went to the lengths to CUT OUT both of his verses in my mp3 of Roman's Revenge w/Nicki Minaj. Not that she isn't a foulmouth too but I didn't hear rapid-fire hate speech.

I'm not kidding about this: The best thing I have ever seen him do, is let Lil Wayne do 6 Foot 7 Foot on snl a couple weeks ago, alone. That was huge for me. Eminem stopped, head down, walked off with his hype man - as Wayne walked on. I was thinking - that's just fuck-all awesome. Good for you Eminem.

Kanye West rates him. Describes him as un-toppable. "Nobody's going to be bigger than Em." On record. So Kanye is trying for the number 2 slot. But... seriously? I mean, night and day difference when it comes to how I react to Eminem as compared to so very many other rappers. The fact that someone like Pusha T has any sort of struggle boggles my mind, while Eminem is just praised up & down. Red carpet.

I know, I know he's popular and has advanced rap to some degree with wild speed, multi-syllabic (am I saying that right?) rhyming and general technical acumen. That said I've been able to tolerate 1 song by Eminem to date. It's not due to his personal life/addictions, or that I prefer black rappers over whatever else, it's that I think he's got a shrill voice, yells constantly, and just sounds like a seriously twisted and hateful man. I don't understand how I have over 20 years of rap-listening in my background, and can't get on board at all with the guy.

I am I alone?

Eminem's been fuck awful to me for about 8 years now so you'll get no argument from me. I dont care how many syllables and internal rhymes and shit he crams in, he aint saying shit. His voice sucks and his subject matter generally does as well.

Hootie

F the haters, Relapse is my favorite Eminem album. I wish he went back to that instead of his serious/yelling eminem in Recovery

awesomeapproved said:
Guys? Gals?

Level with me here.

I am so frigging hard to upset when it comes to crude language but Eminem is just such a freaking garbage mouth, I can't even stand it. I went to the lengths to CUT OUT both of his verses in my mp3 of Roman's Revenge w/Nicki Minaj. Not that she isn't a foulmouth too but I didn't hear rapid-fire hate speech.

I'm not kidding about this: The best thing I have ever seen him do, is let Lil Wayne do 6 Foot 7 Foot on snl a couple weeks ago, alone. That was huge for me. Eminem stopped, head down, walked off with his hype man - as Wayne walked on. I was thinking - that's just fuck-all awesome. Good for you Eminem.

Kanye West rates him. Describes him as un-toppable. "Nobody's going to be bigger than Em." On record. So Kanye is trying for the number 2 slot. But... seriously? I mean, night and day difference when it comes to how I react to Eminem as compared to so very many other rappers. The fact that someone like Pusha T has any sort of struggle boggles my mind, while Eminem is just praised up & down. Red carpet.

I know, I know he's popular and has advanced rap to some degree with wild speed, multi-syllabic (am I saying that right?) rhyming and general technical acumen. That said I've been able to tolerate 1 song by Eminem to date. It's not due to his personal life/addictions, or that I prefer black rappers over whatever else, it's that I think he's got a shrill voice, yells constantly, and just sounds like a seriously twisted and hateful man. I don't understand how I have over 20 years of rap-listening in my background, and can't get on board at all with the guy.

I am I alone?

I can understand where you're coming from...I tend to appreciate him more from a "how the hell did he construct that rhyme/flow" standpoint, rather than loving a bunch of his actual songs.

From a songwriting standpoint, I haven't liked much after the Marshall Mathers LP. From a rhyme-analyzing geek perspective though, he's gotten pretty amazing over the years :lol

Eminem used to blow me away with his flow and lyrics, but now it seems like he's trying way too hard. I could accept the pop culture horrorcore from him back in the day, but now that he's older you'd think he'd move to more serious stuff. Granted Recovery has plenty of "serious" songs, they just aren't good imo. Still I like the fact that he's moved away from Dre producing most of his stuff; Dre fell off even harder and can't seem to make a beat that's for anything but shit talking, partying, etc.

I'm 34 as well, and I've never 'got' Eminem. I thought 'My Name is' was okay, but I haven't liked a song since.

To me he's like Rush- insanely talented yet makes songs I don't like. Simple as that. His tracks don't sound good to me.

HiResDes

Whoompthereitis said:
I'm 34 as well, and I've never 'got' Eminem. I thought 'My Name is' was okay, but I haven't liked a song since.

To me he's like Rush- insanely talented yet makes songs I don't like. Simple as that. His tracks don't sound good to me.

Whoomp you funky motherfucker, have you checked out Niggaz With Latitude yet? I forgot to ask you

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Whoompthereitis said:

I am older than you and the only song he made that I really was feeling was "Just don't give a fuck". I think Pete Rock's track had more to do with me liking that more than anything else. Not saying he is wack, because he isn't. Just never clicked with me.

My top 5 Mixtape/Albums (in no particular order)

1. Slim Thug - Tha Thug Show
2. Good Talk Vol 9
3. Jeezy - Trap or Die II
4. Rick Ross - Ashes to Ashes
5. Big Boi - Sir Luscious Leftfoot (I forgot how mush I really enjoyed this)

Honorable Mention -
B.O.B. - No Genre
Joe Budden - MM4
Kanye West - Good Dreams (Compilation of Good Friday releases)
Outlawz - Killuminati 2k10

Yo Gotti

Banned
I liked Eminem up until the Eminem Show.

With his latest efforts, it's really obvious to me that he's completely sold out, he lost whatever battle with his record label, got fucked by pressures of the fame, or whatever his deal is. His old raps were vulgar but there was always a redeeming irony and wittiness to his lyrics and each individual song told a hilarious story.

Now he's just vulgar for the hell of it, and it seems like the shit he says is way more disgusting and repulsive for no reason at all. I think it's because it's what the label wants from him in order to keep him selling millions of records... that garbage appeals to the lowest common denominator of fans who'll buy it off itunes...

soul creator said:
I can understand where you're coming from...I tend to appreciate him more from a "how the hell did he construct that rhyme/flow" standpoint, rather than loving a bunch of his actual songs.

From a songwriting standpoint, I haven't liked much after the Marshall Mathers LP. From a rhyme-analyzing geek perspective though, he's gotten pretty amazing over the years :lol

Thank you but quite honestly, in that song for example, the first 4 bars I was like... whhheeeel what have we got here?

Then it pitches over like a shot up WWII plane and dive bombs into that aforementioned hate speech and I don't care how complex the lyrics are - stay on the beat or at the edge of it at least for God's sake! In that song, seriously he just stops - stops paying attention to the beat. Gone. It's not a song anymore at that point until Nicki comes back. That might sound like I'm a bandwagonist but tell me Nicki Minaj is not a talented female rapper - shit - anything rapper, and I'd really like to hear the reasoning. Derivative? Yes. Copying the boys a bit? MMhmm. Awesome? Ah-yep.

Now someone like - Skyzoo (I know I know, people hyping him too much too, me included) - man he's riiiight teeeetering on the edge of being off the beat - like every single punchline is on a downbeat and its sick. That, I find very impressive. Rhyming abstract stuff, babbling about "ass-dicks", is useless to begin with but even more odd if he isn't even on the beat, or have it in there to rhyme with something. It's not the case. Ass-dicks for ass-dicks sake. Really, take a listen to that song and tell me he spends more than 5-10% of Roman's Revenge on any part of the beat. Then Nicki Minaj comes in and destroys (in the good way). Maybe I am over thinking it based on that one song being so horrendous but seriously... I'll shadddap.

The ONE song, is Cinderella Man. That's the one, single song I have ever liked from this guy, and I have been quite aware of Eminem since 2000ish. Kind of when everyone else did.

EDIT: I checked out the Busta Rhymes remix. Not feeling it. It's almost as off/unhinged as Eminem's thing, and not in a good way. Sad because Busta Rhymes is a top shelf MC that could easy come back and dominate if he wanted to. I've read more than one retrospective kind of work that cites his verse on Scenario as the single best verse in rap. Ever. Then again you can google any song and someone has nominated some turd as the best song/verse ever.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Eminem's Infinite is a classic on the level of Illmatic and Enter the 36 Chambers.

Don't disagree with me.

K.Jack said:
Eminem's Infinite is a classic on the level of Illmatic and Enter the 36 Chambers.

Don't disagree with me.

Why, because he decided to borrow a Queensbridge rap pattern? It's good but not anything amazing

kamspy

K.Jack said:

Don't disagree with me.

disagree completely. It's a good listen, shows a different side of Em for sure (best side IMO), but the production and mixing is just so damn poor that we'll never know how good it might have been.

Beats sound like something I could have made with that Funkmaster Flex PS1 game.

K.Jack said:

Don't disagree with me.
Oh man... Absolutely no way, at the very least with regard to that big first Wu Tang. Not in any single way. I mean that is a top 3 ever album for me. I can't fathom how you'd put the 2 in the same solar system - with all due respect. Any reason? I mean we got like 5 Billboard artists out of that camp and they basically redefined hardcore rap V2.0 Whoa.

With Nas, I've more admired Nas than played & followed him much. His collab with his Dad actually gives me chills. 'Bridging the Gap'. Soon as I hit post I'm going to play that. I didn't play Illmatic much, but I do own it. So in an effort to meet somewhere in the middle, if you can take any Eminem, I mean, I guess? But to me, that could only apply to Nas, no way with that Wu Tang. Thus I disagree. Apples & oranges different, those 2. That would be like putting Ke$ha against Heart or something.

HiResDes said:
Here - You know finding this shit is child's play, go to 2dopeboyz and type in Kendrick Lamar in the search bar. DONE :lol

Yeah I know, I just didn't feel like doing the footwork.

K.Jack said:
Don't disagree with me.

I disagree. Especially with the 36 Chambers, srsly brah?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I shouldn't have included Enter The 36, I was truly tripping with that one, but I listen to Infinite all the time, and find it to be stronger overall than Illmatic.

I know it's blasphemy to imply that Illmatic isn't that good, but I just don't like it that much. I feel like I'm missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom