• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyduK

Banned
peterb0y said:
I think that none of Em's albums can touch Illmatic, but taking their careers as a whole, imho Em>Nas. Em has two legitimate great albums and one very good one, while Nas, to me, has one GOAT, god-tier album, and the rest of his catalogue ranges from good to straight trash.
MMLP and TES are in the same league as Illmatic. SSLP is a tier below. Eminem is the GOAT based on his first 3 albums, and the fact he's destroyed any track he's been a feature on.

MMaRsu

There isn't a single Em album that is on Illmatic level. Slim Shady LP comes close though.

hyduK said:
MMLP and TES are in the same league as Illmatic. SSLP is a tier below. Eminem is the GOAT based on his first 3 albums, and the fact he's destroyed any track he's been a feature on.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

( not enough smileys in this post )

Kimosabae

Banned
hyduK said:

If you're a teenager, this makes perfect sense.

Kimosabae

Banned
MMaRsu said:
I don't even understand how you can put TES or MMLP over SSLP

:|

Considering I was a HUGE Eminem fan growing up, I don't find it that outrageous - I did just that. SSLP was ill, but I liked the personal substance of TES and TMMLP more.

hyduK

Banned
I'd really love a list of rappers that are even in the same league as Em, and some reasons why. :lol

Nas, Rakim, Hov, Biggie, KRS-One, Kool-G, BDK, Reggie, 3k? I'm sure you could make a great argument for most of these, but how many of them have the raw talent and success of Em?

Em's only blemish is two mediocre albums that he released, and the only rapper on that list that didn't have some equally mediocre albums is Biggie.

Kimosabae

Banned
hyduK said:
I'd really love a list of rappers that are even in the same league as Em, and some reasons why. :lol

Nas, Rakim, Hov, Biggie, KRS-One, Kool-G, BDK, Reggie, 3k? I'm sure you could make a great argument for most of these, but how many of them have the raw talent and success of Em?

Em's not even the best white rapper, let alone GOAT. I'm sure others will give you a cavalcade of examples.

HiResDes

I'm tired of doing this over and over again, I feel like you started this exact same debate Hyduk during the latter stages of the other thread. I'll just say this, MMLP (Great)> SSLP (Good)> TES (Good). It's almost as people rate SSLP based on Guilty Conscience alone.

hyduK

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Em's not even the best white rapper, let alone GOAT. I'm sure others will give you a cavalcade of examples.
Oh please. Name me a better white rapper.

Brother Ali, Aesop Rock, El-P, Slug, Adeem, Sage Francis, Illmaculate, the rest of Sandpeople, Beasty Boys? Open to suggestions.

hyduK

Banned
HiResDes said:
I'm tired of doing this over and over again, I feel like you started this exact same debate Hyduk during the latter stages of the other thread. I'll just say this, MMLP (Great)> SSLP (Good)> TES (Good). It's almost as people rate SSLP based on Guilty Conscience alone.
Understandable. I'm tired of people hating on Em because he's a popular white rapper. Everyone in the industry recognizes that he's one of the best, but somehow none of the hip hop heads on the internet can find a place in their top 50 lists :lol

hyduK

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Well you pretty much just named them all.

I'm kidding, kinda.
This is what I'm talking about. All these guys along with Eyedea (forgot him) are dope, but just become running jokes when some internet hip hop head trying to be underground brings them up in a conversation and says they're better than Em.

HiResDes

hyduK said:
Understandable. I'm tired of people hating on Em because he's a popular white rapper. Everyone in the industry recognizes that he's one of the best, but somehow none of the hip hop heads on the internet can find a place in their top 50 lists :lol
Oh he's definitely in my top 25, but when you say GOAT it puts me up in arms.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I love Clipse, but I wish it was malice who was putting out the solo album right now. He's better than Pusha-T (Pusha is great too, but I think even Pusha would agree with me). I wish Malice's book would finally come out too.

hyduK

Banned
HiResDes said:
Oh he's definitely in my top 25, but when you say GOAT it puts me up in arms.
That's understandable. I'm not saying he's the undisputable, leagues above the next, best rapper of all time. I just feel that no one can put up a good argument as to why he wouldn't be in the same league, or very close to, the person they consider GOAT. There's very few rappers with the credentials of Em, and most people who say he isn't one of the best cite Relapse and Encore...then talk about Nas and Hov as if they don't have numerous mediocre albums.

hyduK

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
I love Clipse, but I wish it was malice who was putting out the solo album right now. He's better than Pusha-T (Pusha is great too, but I think even Pusha would agree with me). I wish Malice's book would finally come out too.
Malice is sick, but Pusha is on his grind lol...seems like the dude is on everything lately.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
hyduK said:
Malice is sick, but Pusha is on his grind lol...seems like the dude is on everything lately.
Malice is busy pushing the clothing line, his book, and his website. I wish music was in there somewhere too, though. :(

Kimosabae

Banned
Aesop is my favorite artist by far, as most people in this thread know by now, but I wouldn't say he's a better rapper than Em.

Qwel is by far best white rapper. I believe that so strongly, I wouldn't even consider it debatable (okay, maybe not that strongly). His variety and talent as an artist/thinker/performer are paralleled by few, IMO.

I'm not going to make any arguments regarding Em as the general GOAT, I think that's just crazy. He's made 3 great albums that were the product of a perfect social storm and was an underground beast, but people have long surpassed him in terms of creativity and technical rhyme capabilities.

This isn't the early new-millennium anymore. Mainstream success doesn't validate greatness in my eyes. Sorry.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
hyduK said:

Brother Ali, Aesop Rock, El-P, Slug.

I am a big em fan. Huge. I was clued in to him just after infinite and I picked up the Slim Shady EP and was blown away. I have owned every album since and have found enjoyment in even the weaker albums.

But those four above are all superior rappers who have made better music than Eminem.

hyduK

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Aesop is my favorite artist by far, as most people in this thread know by now, but I wouldn't say he's a better rapper than Em.

Qwel is by far best white rapper. I believe that so strongly, I wouldn't even consider it debatable (okay, maybe not that strongly). His variety and talent as an artist/thinker/performer are paralleled by few, IMO.
Aesop Rock is amazing, guys a genius. I haven't really been exposed to much of Qwel's stuff, but I'll check him out, any suggestions for where to start?

Done arguing on Em though, to each his own.

DominoKid said:
it puzzles me too. i really hope Kanye pushes him as hard as he did Cudi rather than Big Sean.

it'd be nice to get a mixtape from him soon.

I totally agree.

How could I not. I saw that someone said Pusha T is not the best part of Clipse. I disagree. Because of stuff like this:

Been two years, since I was paddy wagon cruising
The streets was yours, you're dunce capping and kazooing
I was just assuming you'd keep the coke moving
But I got one question, fuck y'all been doing?

Pyrex stirs turned into Cavalli furs
The full length cat, when I wave, the kitty purs
All my n***** caked up, selling gray and beige dust
Had that money right or end up in the trunk taped up

We don't chase and duck, we only raise the bucks
Peel money rolls until our thumbs get the paper cuts
Chill retardo, South Beach Gallardo
Teals started up, go brr like it's Nardo*
Women, if you love me, please let me know
Tie rags around your neck and learn the sets we throw

* That's from a dancehall song called Burrup by Nardo Ranks. So fringe. Se awesome.

I've always thought that was so freaking deadly. And he's not changed up his style to meet any kind of consumer demand or something. Going crossover - just not his plan. He's still wickedly talented.

siddx

Gave Common's Resurrection a listen recently after many many years, what a great album. Anyone who only knows Common from "Be" forward needs to get this album NOW, I used to love LWFC more but its not even close, LWFC is a very good album, but Resurrection is a classic.

Kimosabae

Banned
hyduK said:
Aesop Rock is amazing, guys a genius. I haven't really been exposed to much of Qwel's stuff, but I'll check him out, any suggestions for where to start?

There's a ton of variety in Qwel. I'd start with his posse albums 'Typical Cats' and 'Civil Service', which essentially present 'posse/battle' Qwel. Good way to ease into him.

'Typical Cats' Tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvheiYH1L4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZi548saT1M&feature=related

'Civil Service' Tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrMe-gIc1dI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0pvd-iZ19I

His solo albums are all concept albums and very substantial in terms of theme and content. 'Owl' and 'So Be It' being the easiest to digest.

These are my favorites regarding his solos.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22002205&postcount=4861

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22144264&postcount=5194

hie

hyduK said:

Brother Ali, Aesop Rock, El-P, Slug, Adeem, Sage Francis, Illmaculate, the rest of Sandpeople, Beasty Boys? Open to suggestions.

I prefer Edan or the Grouch. Paul Barman could be there if he wanted to be, probably. :lol

Just a thought, I want to see if you guys feel this way too. Sorry if I go long.

Live music, in just about every genre, pretty much sounds incredible, and is an incredible experience. That's why we all go.

It can bring people to tears - I've seen it happen. Not only with crazed young women going berzerk over NKOTB. In one case at a show, featuring a pretty hardcore dancehall reggae artist named Sizzla - the man sat down on a stool in the middle of an otherwise wild show, and did a very minimalistic version of his song No Pain. Kick drum, and his acoustic guitar were the only things being played. This song is already quite minimalistic, and very beautiful. I saw 2 women bawling, standing, barely dancing, bawling. I saw a man tears dripping down his face - big tough looking guy - he could have squished me. The song gives me chills every time I hear it, including when i just went and got that link. Now, granted that song is known as one of his best songs of all time, but done live like that made it one of the most memorable live music experiences I've had. The rest of the show was super hype.

So if done right, in a small enough venue, that can be the most absolutely awesome thing with a wide swath of genres and I've been lucky enough to see some great shows live; mainstream bands, soloists, metal, vocalist + drum machine, instrumental - everything.
And it just occurred to me...

WHY is live rap almost always terrible?

I love rap, but I can never understand why in a large, loud venue, it tends to be terrible, barely resembling the original and not hold a candle to the studio original (whereas in other genres the reverse is true). It seems to me that rap requires a very controlled live environment to sound right when played live (in other words, if its the MTV music awards/Grammys - its very carefully constructed and beamed to our living rooms with no distortion). By now I would have thought they'd have worked out a way to sound better than they do in smaller venues - 2000-4000 people, kind of thing for instance.

Any thoughts?

siddx

awesomeapproved said:
Just a thought, I want to see if you guys feel this way too. Sorry if I go long.

Live music, in just about every genre, pretty much sounds incredible, and is an incredible experience. That's why we all go.

It can bring people to tears - I've seen it happen. Not only with crazed young women going berzerk over NKOTB. In one case at a show, featuring a pretty hardcore dancehall reggae artist named Sizzla - the man sat down on a stool in the middle of an otherwise wild show, and did a very minimalistic version of his song No Pain. Kick drum, and his acoustic guitar were the only things being played. This song is already quite minimalistic, and very beautiful. I saw 2 women bawling, standing, barely dancing, bawling. I saw a man tears dripping down his face - big tough looking guy - he could have squished me. The song gives me chills every time I hear it, including when i just went and got that link. Now, granted that song is known as one of his best songs of all time, but done live like that made it one of the most memorable live music experiences I've had. The rest of the show was super hype.

So if done right, in a small enough venue, that can be the most absolutely awesome thing with a wide swath of genres and I've been lucky enough to see some great shows live; mainstream bands, soloists, metal, vocalist + drum machine, instrumental - everything.
And it just occurred to me...

WHY is live rap almost always terrible?

I love rap, but I can never understand why in a large, loud venue, it tends to be terrible, barely resembling the original and not hold a candle to the studio original (whereas in other genres the reverse is true). It seems to me that rap requires a very controlled live environment to sound right when played live (in other words, if its the MTV music awards/Grammys - its very carefully constructed and beamed to our living rooms with no distortion). By now I would have thought they'd have worked out a way to sound better than they do in smaller venues - 2000-4000 people, kind of thing for instance.

Any thoughts?

Because most rappers get on stage with 50 other dudes and just scream. There are some exceptions though. Atmosphere puts on a mind blowing show. Slug is one of the most amazing live performers in music period.

Also, as the year closes I need to pimp out a mixtape that people seemed to ignore.

Kooley High - Eastern Standard Time

Its free, its great. It's not going to change your life or anything but its a very very solid album that deserves everyone's time.

Regarding the Eminem talk previously on this page; Eminem is obviously talented, but he can go fuck himself. I'll listen to some of his stuff occasionally, I got all his albums and there's some absolute gold in his catalog, but he's a giant douche idiot who I refuse to respect. When he finally comes to his senses and apologizes for his blatant homophobic lyrics I'll reconsider, but until then he's a joke to me.

MorisUkunRasik said:
Regarding the Eminem talk previously on this page; Eminem is obviously talented, but he can go fuck himself. I'll listen to some of his stuff occasionally, I got all his albums and there's some absolute gold in his catalog, but he's a giant douche idiot who I refuse to respect. When he finally comes to his senses and apologizes for his blatant homophobic lyrics I'll reconsider, but until then he's a joke to me.
^^ What he said ^^

MickD

MorisUkunRasik said:

This is exactly how I feel

harSon

Banned
MorisUkunRasik said:

Unfortunately, I can say the same for a lot of the artists in my collection.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Knux-Future said:
....... you son of a bitch.

Dro only makes songs better.

POLO POLO POLO
I liked Dro before.. well yeah that happened.

Also, his contribution to the We Fly High Remix was not forgotten.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
ShinobiFist said:
:lol
Hell no son, look at all the Wu related shit I posted in the past fam. And number 2, WU4Ever>36 Chambers. There's no debate. And illmatic holds up better than 36 Chambers. I'm not going to post reasons why. I did that already. WU4Ever>36 Chambers, cased closed.
I'll give you that I've long thought that Forever might be the better album. I just don't usually say that in public.

harSon

Banned
MorisUkunRasik said:
That's the hardest part to trying to get my gf into more hip hop artists.

Yeah, it really sucks :( I've gained a lot of friends who are gay the last few months in college, and I can't even play my music around them. I hadn't really noticed that it was so bad until recently...

siddx

Eminem isn't homophobic. He is an attention whore and he found out that making fun of the gay community gets him endless press and attention. One can be ignorant and/or mean spirited without also being racist, sexist or homophobic.

siddx said:
Eminem isn't homophobic. He is an attention whore and he found out that making fun of the gay community gets him endless press and attention. One can be ignorant and/or mean spirited without also being racist, sexist or homophobic.

This is possible.

But that train of thought also may ask:

Do you think that he also faked his suicide for publicity?
and
Acquired a pill habit that nearly killed him for publicity?

He's a white-ass-white rapper. THAT'S the publicity. He's one of only a few celebrities that I would go out of my way not to shake hands - and I am an old fashioned "oh my God I shook their hand" kind of fella. I've shaken hands with Shigeru Miyamoto, Beenie Man, Story Musgrave (Shuttle astronaut), George Carlin, Bret Saberhagen, and my hero (aside from Pop) David Rodigan. Skip to the 3 min mark on that.

siddx said:

Hate speech to express your hate or hate speech to increase sales is all the same to me. He didn't need the attention, he was a white protege to Dre who had undeniable talent.

siddx

awesomeapproved said:
This is possible.

But that train of thought also may ask:

Do you think that he also faked his suicide for publicity?
and
Acquired a pill habit that nearly killed him for publicity?

He's a white-ass-white rapper. THAT'S the publicity. He's one of only a few celebrities that I would go out of my way not to shake hands - and I've shaken hands with Shigeru Miyamoto, Beenie Man, Story Musgrave (Shuttle astronaut), George Carlin, Bret Saberhagen, and my hero (aside from Pop) David Rodigan. Skip to the 3 min mark on that.

He is a piece of trailer trash with mental and emotional issues who became a millionaire. Thats why he tried to kill himself and got a pill habit.

If you are determined to not shake hands with homophobes you shouldn't have shaken hands with Beenie Man as he is more homophibic than any rapper you could think of.

siddx

MorisUkunRasik said:
Hate speech to express your hate or hate speech to increase sales is all the same to me. He didn't need the attention, he was a white protege to Dre who had undeniable talent.

They aren't the same thing and pretending they are is just as detrimental to the gay community's fight for equality as the slurs themselves. They both should be addressed but painting them as the same thing is foolish.

siddx said:
He is a piece of trailer trash with mental and emotional issues who became a millionaire. Thats why he tried to kill himself and got a pill habit.

I know what you mean by that. Beenie Man isn't the worst of the bunch - by a mile. You might be thinking of Buju Banton or Shabba Ranks who have both been in deep trouble in the US for the homophobic speech. I really am embarrassed for dancehall because they've not walked away from that stuff. There's less of it, but totally there if you scratch at the surface enough.

Actually its the violence, hate speech, shrill voice combo that makes me not want to shake Eminem's hand.

I get ya though.

(actually some years back there was a huge cluster of rumors that Beenie Man himself was gay)

siddx said:
They aren't the same thing and pretending they are is just as detrimental to the gay community's fight for equality as the slurs themselves. They both should be addressed but painting them as the same thing is foolish.

Pretending to be homophobic or actually being homophobic, which he probably is, aren't all that different. Tell me how his words, if he doesn't actually mean them cause any less harm than when he does. And please stop with the, me believing that is just as bad as homophobic slurs, gtfo with that bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom