• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyduK

Banned
Infinite is one giant multi-syllabic orgasm.

I'm infinite
You've heard of hell well I was sent from it
I went to it serving a sentence for murdering instruments
Now I'm trying to repent from it
But when I hear the beat I'm tempted to make another attempt at it

K.Jack said:
I shouldn't have included Enter The 36, I was truly tripping with that one, but I listen to Infinite all the time, and find it to be stronger overall than Illmatic.

I know it's blasphemy to imply that Illmatic isn't that good, but I just don't like it that much. I feel like I'm missing something.

Illmatic isn't REALLY that good. I mean, it still bangs, but I don't even think its Nas' best. I think why it might be so highly rated was a product of the time it came out, and its just become one of those sacred cows that few dare to argue. Its still a damn good album tho.

Also, this is only kinda related to Hip-Hop but...Tokubetsu, I really enjoy Valley of Smoke but why in the 9 hells would you compare it to Pilot Talk? I was not getting the same vibes AT ALL. Intronaut is only Jazz influenced, whereas Pilot Talk is NOTHING BUT Jazz. I mean, just going beyond that there are hardly two things you can compare.

nskinnear said:
Illmatic and 36 Chambers are god-tier.

Infinite isn't even Eminem's best album. Or his second best.

The Marshall Mathers LP
The Eminem Show
The Slim Shady LP
Relapse
Recovery
Infinite
Encore

In order.

Yeah I said it. Recovery AND Relapse >>> Infinite. Don't fool yourselves people.

Anyone here actually listen to the leaked Eminem song "Difficult"?

It's the saddest song from Em I've ever heard. Definitely was a song done for himself, for sure wasn't intended to leak or be released.

I actually feel guilty for listening to it.

Pinko Marx said:
Thats extremely harsh for Infinite.

Encore is GARBAGE tier though, Infinite isn't. That still doesn't mean it's anywhere close to Em's best, or ANYWHERE

ANYWHERE

ANYWHERE

close to Illmatic, or 36 Chambers.

PBY

Banned
Infinite gets wayyy overrated because of its "underground" status, and the fact that the average person hasn't heard it. It ite.

peterb0y said:
Infinite gets wayyy overrated because of its "underground" status, and the fact that the average person hasn't heard it. It ite.

the same could be said of illmatic, except people have heard of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
hyduK said:
Infinite is one giant multi-syllabic orgasm.

I'm infinite
You've heard of hell well I was sent from it
I went to it serving a sentence for murdering instruments
Now I'm trying to repent from it
But when I hear the beat I'm tempted to make another attempt at it

These are the bars you cite for being "orgasmic"?

Really?

Kimosabae said:
These are the bars you cite for being "orgasmic"?

Really?

This. It's a nice verse and I love multi-syllable rhymes but come on.

Shorty's laugh was cold blooded as he spoke so foul
Only twelve trying to tell me that he liked my style
Then I rose, wiping the blunt's ash from my clothes
Then froze only to blow the herb smoke through my nose
And told my little man that Imma a go cyprose
Left some jewels in the skull that he can sell if he chose
Words of wisdom from Nas try to rise up above
Keep an eye out for Jake shorty wop
One love

HiResDes said:
There weren't many albums in its era that sounded like Illmatic, it's legendary for a fucking reason.

Well yeah, thats my point. At the time it came out it was really good, but its been improved upon since.

HiResDes

Pinko Marx said:
Well yeah, thats my point. At the time it came out it was really good, but its been improved upon since.
No not really, I'm not willing to concede that either...It doesn't really have flaws

PBY

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
illmatic = 36 chambers >>>everything else hip hop

Nas has pretty much sucked since illmatic though, a few decent albums/guest spots, but nothing close to illmatic

Kimosabae

Banned
"I'm that quenchin vision drenched and risen from the sun's bursty heat.
Deep image that the thirsty seek - creepin through this desert

Headed horizon line serviced and blurred beneath these birdies wings
Though the diverted see their pleasure the deservin' servants see they measure
Peep me the lesson's essence - mean pressures
Guessers need not flirt and see
I can turn this unworthy earth debris - you're working levers

Who the Heavens turn through, burn you, meek debtors worship me
The heat to wet ya peeps, sweat to leave ya festering, hot tempered
Checked battle is the catalyst through which the message breathes
Question who E-L crease swell the refer mints till' there's heads of steam
Above this mezzanine of schemes, deceit hell respects this cream
Not to bull spit cash cause really everything's exceptions
Me Perceptions peak at threece concepted, eat your sections, breathe the lessons drink the lessons - omnipresent streams of deep perfection
Set at present effervescence wetted
Rest in peace, said in me, set it free
The best reflected energy to the sent degree"

Pinko Marx said:
There are very few albums I feel have no missteps. Illmatic isn't one of them.
Where is the "misstep" in Illmatic? Shit, I could probably listen to that album every day and not get tired of it.

JP-Velociraptors.jpg

you guys.
hint: its a pack of raptors.

Pinko Marx said:
There are very few albums I feel have no missteps. Illmatic isn't one of them.

Name one faultless album. Doesn't even have to be hip hop. It's so hard.

I am trying, and the closest I can get is Sizzla's "Black Woman and Child". I like 15 of the 17 songs on it. All of them, I have memorized. 2 of them have faults.

Okay allow me to say this in a different way.
I like Illmatic. Its a classic. Personal Top 10 Material? Eh...Debatable. Top 20? Absolutely. That being said, if someone told me they didn't really like it that much, I could totally see why. Nor would I be shocked and appalled of someone said that they like some of Nas' other albums better (two good canidates being IWW and Street's Disciple). I could also maybe agree with saying that Illmatic wasn't deserving of those (in)famous 5 mics.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Illmatic is a classic because to this very day, I can put it on, listen to it from start to finish without skipping a single song and be thoroughly entertained. I couldn't listen to Fashawn's tribute because I kept instinctively reciting the original lyrics to each song and it bugged me to have the "wrong" lyrics clashing with me.

And I really shouldn't like it at all. I am not a big Nas fan, none of his other albums are even in my top 200 outside of it was written and stillmatic. I cant stand him now a days and he ruined distant relatives for me.
And I hate short albums, 99% of the time I feel like it takes at least 13 tracks or so to get a good well rounded feel on an album.

But still, it's my GOAT album. Everything about it is perfect.

peterb0y said:
illmatic = 36 chambers >>>everything else hip hop

Nas has pretty much sucked since illmatic though, a few decent albums/guest spots, but nothing close to illmatic

100% agreed with illmatic being a large cut above everything else in hip hop(I've heard 36 chambers but not to the extent of illmatic). The breakdown of nas' verses on illmatic is ridiculous. It's not just the multi-syllable internal rhyming (which others like eminem are obviously also good at), the hard arrogance of his punchlines (I drink moet with medusa/give her shotguns in hell/from the spliff that I lift and inhale/it ain't hard to tell), the knowledge dropping (...end like leviathon/it's deep well let me try again). or the stellar production. It's that you feel like you're watching a gritty documentary about the queensbridge projects and what it's like to grow up in the ghetto. His technique + substance + storytelling on this album is just unmatched.

You can argue that a select few can match nas' technique, but I just think the elite combination of all these things just doesn't exist (or is executed as well) in any other hip hop album. It's almost like stars aligned because even though nas is supremely talented, it's not like he's come remotely close to illmatic since (one could argue he was lucky to put out an album that good). He can still go hard, but it's been muddled with preachiness, poor beat selection, and maybe a loss of sharpness so that a concise album that sustains excellence is almost impossible.

siddx said:
And I hate short albums, 99% of the time I feel like it takes at least 13 tracks or so to get a good well rounded feel on an album.

A bit random but short 40-45 minute albums >>> 50 minutes and higher, and Illmatic being short and sweet is one of the reasons I love it so much.

RJT

Add me to the Illmatic defense force. Been listening to it again this morning and that album is perfect. And it definitely isn't nostalgia talking, since I only listened to it for the first time a few years ago.
That and 36 chambers are the uncontested best hiphop albums ever for me.

Quote time:
It's like that, you know it's like that
I got it hemmed, now you never get the mic back
When I attack, there ain't an army that could strike back
So I react never calmly on a hype track
I set it off with my own rhyme
Cause I'm as ill as a convict who kills for phone time
I'm max like cassettes, I flex like sex
In your stereo sets, Nas'll catch rec
I used to hustle - now all I do is relax and strive
When I was young I was a fan of the Jackson 5
I drop jewels, wear jewels, hope to never run it
With more kicks than a baby in a mother's stomach

The bolded being one of the best lines ever.

Oh, you want 80% rhyme ratio? Nas got you covered:
And in the darkness, I'm heartless like when the NARC's hit
Word to Marcus Garvey: I hardly sparked it

All all have to say is:
Explore rap. And tell me "Nas ain't all that"

TwiztidElf

Every now and then, I pop into this thread to get some listening suggestions. Evidence being my favorite I've picked up from here.

So I check it today, and someone is comparing Eminem favorably with Nas and Wu-Tang? And then people are entertaining the conversation? WHAT?

From the OP:
Probably because of the mainstream popularization of certain “artists” that claim (falsely) to be rappers, or advents/saviors of hiphop. Largely a joke, average people make broad and often incorrect assumptions about what rap/hiphop is and is not. There were key players in this, but let’s try to avoid pointing fingers.
Instead, let’s support the real artists who make real hiphop, from the heart, with passion and intellectuality, the ones who deserve it most, in the underground.

TwiztidElf said:
Every now and then, I pop into this thread to get some listening suggestions. Evidence being my favorite I've picked up from here.

So I check it today, and someone is comparing Eminem favorably with Nas and Wu-Tang? And then people are entertaining the conversation? WHAT?

From the OP:

It was my fault because I flew a sortie about Eminem being base, foul, garbage. I asked if he's more or less a central and perhaps southern states, teenage thing who has done a few good things to advance rap (speed, multisyllabic rhymes, technical stuff). Personally I despise him, save for 1 song. So I basically explained my feeling about him and I asked: Do actual hip hop fans seriously rate Eminem? I don't. Just look back at where I quoted his turd verses from Roman's Revenge a few pages back. It was a 70/30 sort of thing where 70% were reporting "I don't get him either". The 30% was either saying "he was good until xyz" or some more positive things. An Eminem fan stated that one of his albums was up there with 36 Chambers, and Illmatic. Tears were shed. Laptops were thrown. Someone peed themselves. This is how it came to be. The person already stood down on the Wu-Tang thing, and maybe now Illmatic too, citing temporary insanity.

That is all we know. I can't comment about ongoing investigations.
:D

i have about a 20 minute commute to work, so an album that is about 40 minutes is perfect, half on the way in, the other half on the way home. Obviously it has to be oo in order to playthru but still...this is why Kno'a album is already on top of my play count

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm the biggest Wu-Tang head here, and I don't believe any album is as good as Enter the 36.

I just threw that in to get recognition. I'm dead serious about liking Infinite more than Illmatic though.

Net_Wrecker said:
The Marshall Mathers LP
The Eminem Show
The Slim Shady LP
Relapse
Recovery
Infinite
Encore

In order.

Yeah I said it. Recovery AND Relapse >>> Infinite. Don't fool yourselves people.
See now, you know you're trolling Infinite.

That's cool though. Opinions are something one must respect.

I remembered when I first heard Infinite. I was like, wow. This is so totally different than Eminem's other work. But looking back years and years, I've never replayed the album except for the Infinite track. It sounds like a demo tape, hugely influenced by Illmatic.

Illmatic has one of greatest verses of all time (AZ on Life's a B). And every song is great. The length doesn't bother me. I hate fluff or overtly long albums. Nas seemed light years ahead of everyone with that album. That's not to say other albums around the time like Ready to Die, Doggystyle, etc weren't great either. But Illmatic seemed to usher in the "silver" age of New York rap.

HiResDes

Yeah I don't think it's ridiculous to have a controversial opinion, I mean did see how many replies that controversial opinions in music thread received...

dvdjamm

New D'angelo...Sorry if this is late,but finally some new music from this man...If this does come out and Detox as well,what's left?

http://hotfile.com/dl/93106053/5e23caa/Dangelo-James_River_(Album_Prelude)-2010-H3X.rar.html

uqexpjzeh4rm9nuk496m.jpg

James River (Album Prelude)

01. Glass Mountain Trust 3:44
02. Ghetto Music Ft. Q-Tip 4:01
03. Bullshit 4:54
04. Really Love 4:14
05. Believe Ft. Q-Tip 3:37
06. Found My Smile Again (Redux) 3:56
07. D'Angelo Instrumental Medley 3:46
08. Magine 1:28
09. So Far So Good 1:05
10. Tell Me 1:05
11. Ghetto Heaven 1:27
12. Shining Star 1:52
13. D'Angelo Acapella Medley 3:26
14. The D 0:56
15. 1'000 Deaths 6:53

DominoKid

i'm far from a Nas fan cause i think most of his work is awful due to his abysmal beat selection and repeated attempts to go commercial. but yeah, Illmatic is a top 5 rap album and in all honesty, it holds up a little bit better than 36 Chambers even though I roll w/ the Clan.

its just so damn lyrically dense but also riddled w/ jewels of knowledge and brilliance.

siddx said:
I like dipset when they are being ridiculous and absurd, but jim jones shouldn't be allowed to make music by himself anymore. He is embarrassingly bad. He reminds me of benzino some times.
I feel this way about Birdman and Mannie Fresh. I know that if it weren't for them we probably wouldn't have Wayne, but I can't deal with those 2 on any level.

Also, totally unrelated... I hope you kids in College & Universities know how frigging lucky you are to have Asher Roth. He's super refreshing and I am glad he's getting exposure. I have seen way more commercially successful rappers live that had far LESS stage presence than this dude. Entertaining guy.

Even that kinda hucked out tune "I Love College" - I know that would be super bananas awesome time to hear at a party no matter how poppy it is. When I hear it now, way past my college years, it makes kind of wish he'd been born a decade earlier so that he could come mash up my college's theater. Instead I saw Gravediggaz, Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock, Digable Planets. Good shows, but sausage fests.

An Asher Roth show would not be this way. I'd have a good night.

Anyway when I see that video, it totally reminds me of parties like that, the kind that teetered on getting out of control, and you were just freaking riding high on the most awesome time of you life that you've experienced up until that point. I really, really loved college. You paid 3 bucks to get in and you've made out with 4 girls by the time you go. Super bananas awesome time.

Not hucked out though, is this, from the new RAWTH ep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM0vV0ieQs8
"Enforce the Law"
Nottz & Asher both sound awesome on this track.

DominoKid said:
i'm far from a Nas fan cause i think most of his work is awful due to his abysmal beat selection and repeated attempts to go commercial. but yeah, Illmatic is a top 5 rap album and in all honesty, it holds up a little bit better than 36 Chambers even though I roll w/ the Clan.

its just so damn lyrically dense but also riddled w/ jewels of knowledge and brilliance.
I just don't get that. It's definitely an easier pill to swallow than some Eminem CD being put up against Illmatic or 36 Chambers. It is just not a question in my mind that 36 Chambers wins though. With the amount of MC's the variety, Method Man coming in an killing it... Really, Illmatic is an amazing piece, but there's just no way I could put many hip hop albums over 36 Chambers. While I'm thinking about it, I guess it would go:

1. Fear of a Black Planet - Public Enemy - so easy for me to say that's numero UNO

2. Agh - shoot. So hard with these top 5 lists - any of these except #1 could kind of be moved around. But with Doggystyle, Snoop's debut, I could swear I wore the disk thin I played it so much. For me that was just anthem, after anthem, after anthem.

3. Enter The Wu-Tang:36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan

4. Illmatic - Nas (even just for the nostalgia, brings me back so well)

5. A tie: Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury + Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. (yes I know, he's crazy and the thing just came out. But yes it is definitely in my top 5. It's just the best work anyone has done in so long in my opinion). As for Clipse, I have felt that Pusha T in particular has been underrated for so long - he has impressed me for a very very long time.

DominoKid

glad to see another person appreciates HHNF as much as I do.

on another note, Kendrick Lamar is pretty dope. i fucks w/ that Michael Jordan song. i like to see rappers take on another region's style with success.

DominoKid said:
glad to see another person appreciates HHNF as much as I do.

on another note, Kendrick Lamar is pretty dope. i fucks w/ that Michael Jordan song. i like to see rappers take on another region's style with success.

I know, I know, yep yeah, you too. Okay everybody meet Mr. Me Too.

:lol :lol :lol

Seriously though, how is it possible that Pusha-T is not humungotyranosaurus huge?
Or is he, somewhere?

DominoKid

it puzzles me too. i really hope Kanye pushes him as hard as he did Cudi rather than Big Sean.

it'd be nice to get a mixtape from him soon.

K.Jack said:
I'm the biggest Wu-Tang head here, and I don't believe any album is as good as Enter the 36.
:lol
Hell no son, look at all the Wu related shit I posted in the past fam. And number 2, WU4Ever>36 Chambers. There's no debate. And illmatic holds up better than 36 Chambers. I'm not going to post reasons why. I did that already. WU4Ever>36 Chambers, cased closed.

PBY

Banned
awesomeapproved said:
It was my fault because I flew a sortie about Eminem being base, foul, garbage. I asked if he's more or less a central and perhaps southern states, teenage thing who has done a few good things to advance rap (speed, multisyllabic rhymes, technical stuff). Personally I despise him, save for 1 song. So I basically explained my feeling about him and I asked: Do actual hip hop fans seriously rate Eminem? I don't. Just look back at where I quoted his turd verses from Roman's Revenge a few pages back. It was a 70/30 sort of thing where 70% were reporting "I don't get him either". The 30% was either saying "he was good until xyz" or some more positive things. An Eminem fan stated that one of his albums was up there with 36 Chambers, and Illmatic. Tears were shed. Laptops were thrown. Someone peed themselves. This is how it came to be. The person already stood down on the Wu-Tang thing, and maybe now Illmatic too, citing temporary insanity.

That is all we know. I can't comment about ongoing investigations.
:D
I think that none of Em's albums can touch Illmatic, but taking their careers as a whole, imho Em>Nas. Em has two legitimate great albums and one very good one, while Nas, to me, has one GOAT, god-tier album, and the rest of his catalogue ranges from good to straight trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom