• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
awesomeapproved said:
I know what you mean by that. Beenie Man isn't the worst of the bunch - by a mile. You might be thinking of Buju Banton or Shabba Ranks who have both been in deep trouble in the US for the homophobic speech. I really am embarrassed for dancehall because they've not walked away from that stuff. There's less of it, but totally there is you scratch at the surface enough.

Actually its the violence, hate speech, shrill voice combo that makes me not want to shake Eminem's hand.

I get ya though.

I just realized I confused Beenie Man with Bounty Killer but still, dancehall's attitude towards homosexuality is face palmingly bad. Rap has struck me as being clever enough to follow trends, and as homophobia becomes less and less acceptable, it is slowly..very slowly...leaking out of hip hop. Still a long ways to go but the difference between now and even a few years ago is fairly remarkable.

Speaking of homophobia, I was watching one of my favorite movies ever recently, The Last Boy Scout, and noticed the Bruce Willis' character asks Damon Wayne's character if he is a "fag" in a very negative way. Amazing how things have changed in the last 20 years.

siddx

MorisUkunRasik said:
Pretending to be homophobic or actually being homophobic, which he probably is, aren't all that different. Tell me how his words, if he doesn't actually mean them cause any less harm than when he does. And please stop with the, me believing that is just as bad as homophobic slurs, gtfo with that bullshit.

I dont understand the second half of your post but I figure you want more clarity.

I am not saying one is "ok" and the other is "bad". I am saying they are two different things and need to be treated different if one hopes to eradicate the majority of hatred and ignorance. The same way the guy making un PC black jokes is very different from the guy in the KKK hood plotting to blow up a black church. They are both ignorance and both harm in a distinct way. But a very very different way.

siddx said:
I dont understand the second half of your post but I figure you want more clarity.

I am not saying one is "ok" and the other is "bad". I am saying they are two different things and need to be treated different if one hopes to eradicate the majority of hatred and ignorance. The same way the guy making un PC black jokes is very different from the guy in the KKK hood plotting to blow up a black church. They are both ignorance and both harm in a distinct way. But a very very different way.

All I said was whether or not Eminem means what he says doesn't amount to a whole lot. The shitty part about him saying the things he does isn't that he means every syllable. The shitty part is what he says gets into the heads of millions, especially since he's popular with teens.

I never said plotting to hurt gay men and women was the same as saying fucked up shit in your new single.

Also me believing that there isn't much different is nowhere near as offensive as slurs used against the gay community and its offensive to me to suggest that it is.

The M.O.B

I got a question, so we can get off the current Em topic.

Who are some good UK rappers??? It seems like the Hip Hop scene is getting a lot bigger over there. The only ones I know are Tinchy Stryder, sway, and giggs.

siddx

this conversation is better suited for some other thread, back to hip hop

Whatever happened to Hittman? He was all over chronic 2001, more so than any other artist. And now....nothing. Another victim of Dre's use em and lose em policy?

The M.O.B said:

Who are some good UK rappers??? It seems like the Hip Hop scene is getting a lot bigger over there. The only ones I know are Tinchy Stryder, sway, and giggs.

I like dizzy but I really can't stand the british accent when it comes to rapping. It just sounds...wrong. I know thats weird but it is what it is. However I would be interested if there are any Brit rappers who aren't garage rap or whatever the hell they call it.

The M.O.B said:

yeah, UK Hip Hop/Grime has had a big year in 2010, surprised me tbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpCf0FsZKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9IOAe9jAY

and my personal favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TTceYEJif4

the likes Tinie Tempah, Professor Green, Tinchy and Skepta getting surprising commercial success

The M.O.B

shadowcomplex said:
so is there gonna be a 2011 gaf hop thread or is this the |OT| of gaf hop?

I think we should, maybe we could include a list of the top 50 mixtapes/albums from the awards thread to help people catch up.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The M.O.B said:
I think we should, maybe we could include a list of the top 50 mixtapes/albums from the awards thread to help people catch up.
i like this idea, but mixtapes and albums should be in there own category imo.

The M.O.B said:
I don't think we need to. The title says 2010+, so we'll probably keep this one until the post limit is reached.

Kimosabae

Banned
Regarding Dancehall music homophobia - west indian culture is highly homophobic, I'm sorry to admit.

Nert said:

"That's why your power is the size of your attention span".

That's a true gem coming from someone that young.

Looks like a chick, though. *edit* errr....?????

*edit2*

Chick looks like a dude!

*edit3*

Chick is ill, I can't believe I never heard her music before.

Thanks for this. Seen his her name before but never heard him her rap.

IrishNinja

oh shit, that did i miss, hip hop GAF? shinobi trying to sell wu4ever > 36 (again :lol ), and illmatic lyric samples? since all the good ones got used:

i aint the type of nuh made for you start tessin'/gimee a smith & wesson, i have n*ggas undressin'

PhoenixDark said:
must be trying to get me locked up before the new year

:lol

peterb0y said:
illmatic = 36 chambers >>>everything else hip hop

Nas has pretty much sucked since illmatic though, a few decent albums/guest spots, but nothing close to illmatic

aw, what is this? Stillmatic, God's Son, few tracks off Streets Disciple...Nas can still make classics, and solid albums. they're not gonna be his first one (stillmatic touched on that a lot) but i cant stand seeing him dismissed out of pocket like that.

SoulPlaya said:
I love Clipse, but I wish it was malice who was putting out the solo album right now. He's better than Pusha-T (Pusha is great too, but I think even Pusha would agree with me). I wish Malice's book would finally come out too.

was just thinking this: i love pusha, but whenever i hear him, im expecting malice to follow up, kinda sad that's not the case right now.

@ the other shit: chris rock joked about this, didn't he? if you're concerned with misogynist/homophobic lyrics, hip-hop will fucking embarrass you at all kinds of moments. its one of the genre's weaknesses, has been for a while.

FUCK YEAH NEW YEARS 2011 BITCHES!!!

Yeah I'm drunk as fuck, and yeah, if you wanna cry listen to Eminem's "Difficult"

Even Em haters would be heartless if they won't shed a tear from listening to this....

Tokubetsu

DominoKid said:

Spitta bringing in the new year. click the pic

Sadly, majority it sounds like a lot of older Curren$y shit (unpolished). A lot of older tracks on here.

That or he just recorded this shit on a laptop from beats sent in the mail (Outside of the obvious covers. RAEKWON!)

Record Deals is some real shit.

Does anyone know how these mixtapes work from a legal/fair use standpoint?

I got the Asher Roth Greenhouse Effect with DJ Cannon, and I am totally blown away. I simply can not recommend it to any rap fans enough. It is so cool to hear someone else on that Clipse 'mr me too' or the beat from The Black Kids song yes that's their name.

Hearing different artists like that is super common in reggae, but I've never heard of this kind of thing in hip hop until pretty recently.

Do they have to pay royalties or anything like that to repurpose a beat, or is that mitigated by the fact that some of them are free for download - thus no cloudy water as far as profit goes. As I said, This sort of thing is not only common, but pretty much is the ONLY thing that dancehall artists do on a regular basis, Someone makes a beat, they all voice it. I mean there's a few beats that have been repurposed hundreds of times by dancehall guys.

siddx

awesomeapproved said:
Does anyone know how these mixtapes work from a legal/fair use standpoint?

I got the Asher Roth Greenhouse Effect with DJ Cannon, and I am totally blown away. I simply can not recommend it to any rap fans enough. It is so cool to hear someone else on that Clipse 'mr me too' or the beat from The Black Kids song yes that's their name.

Hearing different artists like that is super common in reggae, but I've never heard of this kind of thing in hip hop until pretty recently.

Do they have to pay royalties or anything like that to repurpose a beat, or is that mitigated by the fact that some of them are free for download - thus no cloudy water as far as profit goes. As I said, This sort of thing is not only common, but pretty much is the ONLY thing that dancehall artists do on a regular basis, Someone makes a beat, they all voice it. I mean there's a few beats that have been repurposed hundreds of times by dancehall guys.

I've always been led to believe that if an artist doesn't make any money off the song, they can do what they want with the beat, which is why you can make a mixtape with a bunch of jacked beats as long as you give it away for free. But things become a little tricky when you throw in performing it live because you are making money off it now. I think it's one of those murky area things that hip hop has kind of said "this is how we operate, fuck off if you don't like it."

I remember a few years ago some DJ's getting in trouble for selling mixtapes and the hip hop community was livid that they were fucking with the way our culture worked.

siddx

On an unrelated note:

the following is the greatest line ever uttered in hip hop

"And I didn't feed her naything but sum dick and bubble gum"

Just the sheer ridiculousness of it. So stupid, so absurd, so funny. They idea of inviting some lovely lady over to your apartment and then refusing to feed her any food except some bubble yum and your cock. Perhaps it was big league chew? I miss that gum.

Tokubetsu

I fucking love GFK's verse on "Evil Deeds"
"Ni**a, if this was the arts, it'd be the best kung fu
And I'm Tone Yao Chin, serving ya'll wonton soup"

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The M.O.B said:

Devlin and Dot Rotten for me, all fucking day.

Dot has stuck to the Grime scene, but Dev has gone more mainstream, but he still spits ridiculous bars.

bonus - just listen to Devlin murder this session

Tokubetsu

TWT6v.jpg

IrishNinja

^^damn, im so far out of the loop, i didnt know they were beefing...so uh, Little Brother's back then, yeah? 2011's looking better & better, even if i didnt mind your Foreign Exchange stuff. :D

siddx

I used to think he was the greatest producer in hip hop, but 9th wonder ran out of new beats years ago.

Grzi

I can't stop listening to Curren$y.
Pilot Talk I and II are so good.
And the rest of his stuff is great.
So chill.
SPITTA!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hartt951 said:
I've been out of the loop for months now. What's the status on Cole World and Jay Elect's debut?
Cole put out Friday Night Lights. It's superstar album material, you should check it out.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HiResDes said:
Love Danny Brown, such a funny motherfucker, Cyclops might be the best song ever :lol
Tryna figure out a way to bottle up pussy juice
Have my Paypal clickin', sales jumpin through the roof

^Such a trunk rattler too.

A few hot D. Brown songs for the uneducated:

Cocaine Cowboys <- Produced by Madlib, crazy beat!
Shootin' Moves
Nowhere 2 Go
Guitar Solo
Contra

Seriously, give him a chance. I really just got hip to Danny, but I've became a big fan very quickly. There's something unique about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom