• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man all of this new CuDi is so disappointing after the greatness that is Man On The Moon. They just feel all so mellow and samey when it comes to the production especially. Dare I say Erase Me is the best leaked songs so far.

Tokubetsu

pGUaX.jpg

Liking it a lot more than This Ain't No Mixtape so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVesuLqrN5Y

Salazar said:
MF Doom.

GAF - where do I begin, or what is best ?

Hmmm, what are some of the DOOM songs you've heard/liked?

Most people probably start with Madvillainy. My fav DOOM album is Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain, but starting with Madvillainy or Mm...Food makes sense. Operation Doomsday is his first solo album and a great intro to DOOM the character.

Nabs

Since he has so many great albums, you could honestly begin anywhere. I recommend always starting with Operation: Doomsday, just because it's the real beginning of the persona. Balance that off with either Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain or MM Food... to get a cleaner Doom.

If you fuck with any of that shit, then you hit the real dirty shit like Madvillainy and Take Me To Your Leader.

That should last you a long ass time, if you give the music a chance to sink in. You kind of have to when it comes to doom, especially when you're new to it all. You may not feel his style at first, but there's a chance it'll click one day and hit you like a juggalo brick.

Once you start catching random references and samples, it's all over.

Kimosabae

Banned
Nabs said:
Since he has so many great albums, you could honestly begin anywhere. I recommend always starting with Operation: Doomsday, just because it's the real beginning of the persona. Balance that off with either Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain or MM Food... to get a cleaner Doom.

If you fuck with any of that shit, then you hit the real dirty shit like Madvillainy and Take Me To Your Leader.

That should last you a long ass time, if you give the music a chance to sink in. You kind of have to when it comes to doom, especially when you're new to it all. You may not feel his style at first, but there's a chance it'll click one day and hit you like a juggalo brick.

Once you start catching random references and samples, it's all over.

It's beyond me why people can't employ this attitude when it comes to Aesop. It must be the Adult Swim marketing.

IrishNinja

Kimosabae said:
Has reportedly fallen bad into drugs. Homeless. Often spotted in NY begging for money.

i keep hearing this, what's the source though? fuck man, if i saw him, id buy him dinner or get him to a shelter or some shit, that's heartbreaking.

Slizz

HiResDes said:
My favorite Outkast clone and maybe the best new rap group in the south right now, just dropped this:

Stargazing-Front-FINAL.jpg

DL LINK
YOGA FLAAME

Just got around to listening to this in a proper mind state. Excellent tape.

HiResDes

Rediscovered this album: 5 Mics :lol

Say_G_X_E!-The_Grouch_480.jpg

...Seriously out of their peers, guys like Slug, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, and Aesop Rock...I've always liked Grouch & Eligh the best for some reason.

Bishman

Who is everyone favorite new rapper?

laws-457.jpg

Thank you GAF for introducing me to Laws. He is my favorite new rapper so far this year. 4:57 stays on repeat on my computer and car. Laws flow, lyrics, and diversity is sick. I see him blowing up in the future. He could be a Drake type of rapper.

reKon

Banned
Bishman said:
Who is everyone favorite new rapper?

laws-457.jpg

Thank you GAF for introducing me to Laws. He is my favorite new rapper so far this year. 4:57 stays on repeat on my computer and car. Laws flow, lyrics, and diversity is sick. I see him blowing up in the future. He could be a Drake type of rapper.

Listened to like two songs off this mixtape on youtube.com.... gonna download now...

dude is nice lyrically, has a smooth flow, and also the production i've heard is crazy. It's a shame that no one will ever hear of him unless he gets the right initial buzz and a lot of people DLing his mixtapes...

It was weird though because with J Cole, I think the ONLY reason I ever heard of him was because I believe I was on some site like hiphopdx and his mixtape was:
1) Very high rated (this was like a few days after it came out, and other people were actually just learning out about how sick he was from 'the warm up')
2) The cover to the Warm Up looked so good that it just attracted me to it, lol

This was before I even knew he was signed with Roc Nation too...

HiResDes

reKon said:
Listened to like two songs off this mixtape on youtube.com.... gonna download now...

dude is nice lyrically, has a smooth flow, and also the production i've heard is crazy. It's a shame that no one will ever hear of him unless he gets the right initial buzz and a lot of people DLing his mixtapes...

It was weird though because with J Cole, I think the ONLY reason I ever heard of him was because I believe I was on some site like hiphopdx and his mixtape was:
1) Very high rated (this was like a few days after it came out, and other people were actually just learning out about how sick he was from 'the warm up')
2) The cover to the Warm Up looked so good that it just attracted me to it, lol

This was before I even knew he was signed with Roc Nation too...
Dude get this version, it is DJ-Less and features mass bonus tracks:

501front.jpg

501back.jpg

DL LINK

...I try not to hype shit for no reason...Usually the shit is good or I just like a lot of stuff:lol

hie

HiResDes said:
...Seriously out of their peers, guys like Slug, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, and Aesop Rock...I've always liked Grouch & Eligh the best for some reason.

Totally agreed. I'll also through Edan in as someone i prefer over all of them...

I don't know shit about hip-hop, beyond the usual stuff like NWA, Cypress Hill, Eminem, Snoop, Dre, Beastie Boys etc - but I heard this song on a friends ipod; Written by Incise, ft. Don Cerino and am loving it, can anyone recommend anything similar?

Also, Aether's Artifacts album has been a regular in my playlist for over a year now, but don't know where to begin looking for something in the same vein (example; Aether - Orefu Negro) - my friend says it's trip-hop?

Wiz Khalifa. I was told if I like Cudi, Kanye, Lupe and Wale -- I should check him out. I have Kush & OJ and Flight School, and I love those two albums. Anything else I should check out? :D

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:

501front.jpg

501back.jpg

DL LINK

...I try not to hype shit for no reason...Usually the shit is good or I just like a lot of stuff:lol

Isn't the tracklist like completely different though?

Slizz

spindashing said:
Wiz Khalifa. I was told if I like Cudi, Kanye, Lupe and Wale -- I should check him out. I have Kush & OJ and Flight School, and I love those two albums. Anything else I should check out? :D

Yea the artist Curren$y.

Bishman

HiResDes said:

501front.jpg

501back.jpg

DL LINK

Yeah, I should have posted this version. :lol

Laws, XV, and Wiz Khalifa stay in my rotation.

HiResDes

spindashing said:
Check out Wiz's Burn After Rolling, and How Fly (Collabo with Curren$y)

Others (Get started)

Artists Like Cudi - U-N-I, Theophilus London, Esso, Johnny Polygon, The Illz,and Mickey Factz

Artists Like Lupe - Skewby, Fashawn, Quest, Cobe Obeah, Add-2, Nero, B.O.B., STS, and Jay Electronica

Artists Like Wiz - Chip Tha Ripper, Dom Kennedy, Smoke DZA, Curren$y

Artists Like Kanye - Big Sean, XV, Phil Ade, J. Pinder, Shawn Chrystopher, and Treazon

Artists Like Wale - Laws, Feroz, Ayomari, Tiron, Neako, Donnis, and Nickelus F

Roaming somewhere around this atmosphere also are J.Cole, Sene Blu, and Shad

reKon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Check out Wiz's Burn After Rolling, and How Fly (Collabo with Curren$y)

Others (Get started)

Artists Like Cudi - U-N-I, Theophilus London, Esso, Johnny Polygon, The Illz,and Mickey Factz

Artists Like Lupe - Skewby, Fashawn, Quest, Cobe Obeah, Add-2, Nero, B.O.B., STS, and Jay Electronica

Artists Like Wiz - Chip Tha Ripper, Dom Kennedy, Smoke DZA, Curren$y

Artists Like Kanye - Big Sean, XV, Phil Ade, J. Pinder, Shawn Chrystopher, and Treazon

Artists Like Wale - Laws, Feroz, Ayomari, Tiron, Neako, Donnis, and Nickelus F

Roaming somewhere around this atmosphere also are J.Cole, Sene and Blu

J Cole = "They say I'm the down south Nas, the east coast Pac, the Carolina Andre, the Fayettenam Kanye"

^ agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom