• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
eternia-moss-at-last.jpg

'Day in the Life'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYXEMa5C6o

I'm hopelessly addicted to this track. I've been listening to it for 3 days straight. Made my leg day at the gym feel like a breeze.

Production on this album is so good.

spindashing said:
Wiz Khalifa. I was told if I like Cudi, Kanye, Lupe and Wale -- I should check him out. I have Kush & OJ and Flight School, and I love those two albums. Anything else I should check out? :D
Who in the hell compared Lupe Fiasco to Wiz Khalifa? That's a damn shame.

RPS37

HiResDes said:
Check out Wiz's Burn After Rolling, and How Fly (Collabo with Curren$y)

Others (Get started)

Artists Like Cudi - U-N-I, Theophilus London, Esso, Johnny Polygon, The Illz,and Mickey Factz

Artists Like Lupe - Skewby, Fashawn, Quest, Cobe Obeah, Add-2, Nero, B.O.B., STS, and Jay Electronica

Artists Like Wiz - Chip Tha Ripper, Dom Kennedy, Smoke DZA, Curren$y

Artists Like Kanye - Big Sean, XV, Phil Ade, J. Pinder, Shawn Chrystopher, and Treazon

Artists Like Wale - Laws, Feroz, Ayomari, Tiron, Neako, Donnis, and Nickelus F

Roaming somewhere around this atmosphere also are J.Cole, Sene Blu, and Shad

Pretty much everyone I listen to is in this post. Crazy.

Jay Sosa

Koroshi said:

Seriously the one is a confused, over hyped nerd who isn't even able to get his album released and the other the spiritual successor to Pac, Biggie, Big L, Big Pun and Freaky Tah combined.

TAYLOR GANG OR DIE!!!!

Smokee Robinson might be favorite over Jet Files

Mine is definitely "Life at 30.000 feet" because it was the one who i(really, heard him before on Carter and TRU) introduced me to him. And back then he was basically the only one who rapped about playing 360 and other nerdy stuff I can relate too. And it was the first free mixtape I would've paid for.

Fuck it. I'm gonna take the time to hype this too, because I'm not sure how many people actually listened to it:

I did and loved it, even posted some praise.

Jay Sosa said:
Seriously the one is a confused, over hyped nerd who isn't even able to get his album released and the other the spiritual successor to Pac, Biggie, Big L, Big Pun and Freaky Tah combined.

TAYLOR GANG OR DIE!!!!
Um... :lol

Koroshi said:
Relax. :lol No one compared the two directly. A friend saw my music list, and saw those artists in question and wondered why I didn't listen to Wiz Khalifa. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

spindashing said:
Relax. :lol No one compared the two directly. A friend saw my music list, and saw those artists in question and wondered why I didn't listen to Wiz Khalifa. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
If I liked Lupe Fiasco, the last person I would want to be recommended to is Wiz.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lupe is one of my favorite artists but I really enjoy listening to That boy khalifa.

Anyway back to what i came here to post i was watching the in studio video for no hands wale , roscoe dash and wacka flocka <- yeah one of these things is not like the other. http://videos.onsmash.com/v/ArnyWvY31LKLG3VM

Then I cam across a frame later in the video that had my dying.

a1py5c.jpg

wtf

Also the new smoke dza mixtape is really amazing. Pick it up and listen. If I still had new thread making privileges I would revive my hiphop homework listening session for this tape.
front.jpg

I know the cover is funny but it really is amazing mixtape.

http://www.djbooth.net/index/mixtapes/entry/smoke-dza-george-kush-da-button/

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:

TAYLOR GANG OR DIE!!!!

Mine is definitely "Life at 30.000 feet" because it was the one who i(really, heard him before on Carter and TRU) introduced me to him. And back then he was basically the only one who rapped about playing 360 and other nerdy stuff I can relate too. And it was the first free mixtape I would've paid for.

I did and loved it, even posted some praise.
*Hugs* Jay Sosa...You and Slizz are my dogs. :lol

@Kimo I forgot all about that Eternia & Moss album, it's like I copped it from Amazon and forgot about it...Definitely pretty ill. I'd like to see her and Dessa on a track or two...Would be crazy.

DominoKid

i have that fake Bush quote from the DZA mixtape as my text message alert. shits hilarious cause everyone that hears it is like "wtf???"

:lol

MThanded

DominoKid said:
i have that fake Bush quote from the DZA mixtape as my text message alert. shits hilarious cause everyone that hears it is like "wtf???"

:lol
Yeah it had me cracking up too. The mixtape was really a suprise to me and will hold me over on ski beatz productions until 24 hour karate school.

HiResDes

loanshark0729 said:
Yeah the new Smoke DZA tape is hot. Also if you haven't already checked out his Substance Abuse 1.5 mixtape it's really good as well.

smoke_dza_-_substance_abuse_1.5_2010.jpg

DL LINK
get volume 1.0 too, dude only has like three tape...Might as well download them all.

see5harp

I am really enjoying Teflon Don but I'm gonna shoot myself if I ever have to think of Rick's circumsized penis again. Can you just imagine how dirty his penis is because of the excess fat storage in his lower abdomen? It's probably like a outee belly button.

MThanded

see5harp said:
I am really enjoying Teflon Don but I'm gonna shoot myself if I ever have to think of Rick's circumsized penis again. Can you just imagine how dirty his penis is because of the excess fat storage in his lower abdomen? It's probably like a outee belly button.
my god

loanshark0729

Neo Member
see5harp said:
uhhhhh, wtf....

Also, the new Mac Miller tape is pretty good. I think it's been posted already but i'll bump it here.

Mac_Miller_Kids-front-large.jpg

DL LINK

see5harp

Also that justus league song with Drake doing his generic R&B hook has an amazing beat but I have no idea what the song is supposed to mean. At least with Black Eyed Peas and Lil Jon we know we getting drunk.

Kimosabae

Banned
see5harp said:

What???

No, seriously, how does excess lower abdomen fat correlate to having a dirty penis? I'm genuinely curious!

Coledagawd!!!!

New track, supposedly this is the first single (who dat not on the album????)

It Wont Be Long

edit: now im not so sure, the track is tagged with some suspect cover art that says 'cole world'. He's already stated that it wont be called that.

see5harp

Kimosabae said:
What???

No, seriously, how does excess lower abdomen fat correlate to having a dirty penis? I'm genuinely curious!

I don't know. I don't even want to imagine his fat ass fucking anything. It's disgusting and whatever song that's in, metaphor or not, is getting unchecked from my itunes library.

HiResDes

see5harp said:
I don't know. I don't even want to imagine his fat ass fucking anything. It's disgusting and whatever song that's in, metaphor or not, is getting unchecked from my itunes library.
MC Hammer - "My Dick Clean," is that what you're referring to?...Man the fact that you care so much really is the creepiest part of it all.

Umm...back to the Teflon Don. I can't stop rewinding Tip's verse. The beat and his braggadocio plus flow is on point. I prefer Deeper than Rap over Teflon (probably because of the Justus League production) but Ross definitely came correct.

Kimosabae

Banned
killah-priest-the-3-day-theory-album-cover.jpg

This shit finally came in the mail today. Just finished a passive listen. Initial impressions: if you're not a hardcore Priest fan, you'll probably wanna stay away.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
This shit finally came in the mail today. Just finished a passive listen. Initial impressions: if you're not a hardcore Priest fan, you'll probably wanna stay away.
Hmm...I don't know how hardcore of a Priest fan I have become given that I was just converted like a month ago. :lol

...But I love both Heavy Mental and The Offering.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
killah-priest-the-3-day-theory-album-cover.jpg

Still need to get this. Outside of the offering and heavy mental, Priest can bea bit hard to get into. His shit is definitely in the "zone out" territory.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, Offering and Mental are definitely my favs so far. I also have 'Behind the Stained Glass' and 'Elizabeth'. Problem I have with every album I've heard outside 'Mental' and 'Offering' is that they are just too persistently bleak, production wise. 3 Day Theory seems to be no different. Soundscape is too samey and too obscure. It was only one passive listen, though.

see5harp

HiResDes said:
MC Hammer - "My Dick Clean," is that what you're referring to?...Man the fact that you care so much really is the creepiest part of it all.

It may have been that track because it was something about circumsized penis. I don't really care, I just thought it was funny is all. I like the album overall.

HiResDes

see5harp said:
It may have been that track because it was something about circumsized penis. I don't really care, I just thought it was funny is all. I like the album overall.
oh word...It's fucking hilarious, the most nonsensical line of the album...Well besides thinking you're Big Meech or Larry Hoover and being a former correctional officer. :lol

new Jay Elec interview (video)
Jay Electronica’s been camped out in a studio somewhere in London for the last few weeks, when he’s not touring Europe or visiting Cairo, to put the finishing touches on what has become one of the most anticipated projects in hip hop: Act II, which he says he’s trying to release by his birthday, September 19th.

Semtex heard it and said “it’s everything you expect x10.”
http://nahright.com/news/2010/08/17/video-jay-electronica-interview-w-dj-semtex/

Seems like UK DJs make ridiculous statements all the damn time, but I believe Semtex when he says the album is beyond dope. How can it not be lol

I'm not putting any faith in a September release date, no use in being disappointed again. He made some comments on twitter about being afraid to release the album because of the pressure/expectations, and if he needs DJs and rappers to tell him it's the best thing since Illmatic so be it. Just release it dammit

PhoenixDark said:
new Jay Elec interview (video)

http://nahright.com/news/2010/08/17/video-jay-electronica-interview-w-dj-semtex/

Seems like UK DJs make ridiculous statements all the damn time, but I believe Semtex when he says the album is beyond dope. How can it not be lol

I'm not putting any faith in a September release date, no use in being disappointed again. He made some comments on twitter about being afraid to release the album because of the pressure/expectations, and if he needs DJs and rappers to tell him it's the best thing since Illmatic so be it. Just release it dammit

September 19th? Same as mine, awesome. I love JE, so much hype.

Semtex's actual quotes on the album:

While Kanye has got the Internets going nuts, Jay Electronica has been residing in London for the past few weeks, working relentlesly in the studio, putting the concluding touches to the highly anticipated debut album, ‘Act II’.

Jay invited me down to the studio to hear some of the cuts of the album, and although I can’t talk on the specifics, from what I heard, I can say that it is everything you expect X 10.

It is a masterpiece, diverse HipHop excellence.
The guest features that he has pulled out of the bag for the collaborations are pretty much beyond your current comprehension, and the journey making this album is as inspiring as the music itself.

He’s done it, followed the code, cracked the safe, got the formula. The wait is almost over.
http://www.djsemtex.com/blog/2010/08/18/jay-electronica-out-in-london-preparing-act-ii/

HiResDes said:
Dude get this version, it is DJ-Less and features mass bonus tracks:

501front.jpg

501back.jpg

DL LINK

...I try not to hype shit for no reason...Usually the shit is good or I just like a lot of stuff:lol

This. Is . NICE. Damn, why have I waited so long to listen to dude? Good stuff. I really like the diversity of the production and themes, and really enjoy when he goes in a slightly different different than purely RAP like the Techno/Rock beats, or the tracks with a non "Boom Bap" drum pattern.

And on Hold You Down (Remix), Emilio Rojas KILLED...KILLED his verse. Completely caught me off guard. Is he that good on his solo material?

I've been meaning to download that Laws mixtape - fuck it, I'm doing it right now. JUSTICE League's track record is pretty much flawless based on the stuff they lace Rick Ross with, holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom