• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
soultron said:
Am I crazy because I don't dig Drake? I'm even from TO.

I just saw some special on TV the other day about how he was "the new king of hip hop," and I was just all "what?"

I don't get what's so great about a kid who holds his breath while he raps.

cause he has a ridiculous flow and his earlier mixtape was very good

yencid

So guys am i the only one here who follows diggy and likes his music? or does no one know he can spit?

an image from his blog which i found pretty cool, about Mobb deep, Nas and lil wayne among others:
509389DS11.jpg

his second mixtape drops next week

iChat+Image%281314973114%29.jpeg

diggy.jpg

soultron

Banned
reKon said:
cause he has a ridiculous flow and his earlier mixtape was very good
I dunno. Maybe I just won't ever be into mainstream rap.

I just see nothing of value in the guy. Link to one of the earlier mixtape songs?

The M.O.B

soultron said:

I just saw some special on TV the other day about how he was "the new king of hip hop," and I was just all "what?"

For me, he is very hit or miss with his rap verses, his album was pretty bad. I did enjoy his mixtapes prior to that though.

Oh and his singing voice is very good, so he can always fall back on that if all else fails.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
soultron said:

For me, Drake and J. Cole give me the same feeling, as far as their flows go.

Threi

notag
I'm pretty indifferent towards drake, I don't really like him but i don't hate him either. Dude is making money and putting my city on the map, isn't talking about hoes and guns and money (as far as I know) so who really cares?

If there is a TO rapper i dislike it would be Belly. Fuck that guy.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Threi said:
I'm pretty indifferent towards drake, I don't really like him but i don't hate him either. Dude is making money and putting my city on the map, isn't talking about hoes and guns and money (as far as I know) so who really cares?

Isn't this what he mainly raps about?

Is Cudi's CD bout to leak...this song and the other Kanye song ( which is meh) both drop today.

I'm really looking forward to Cudi's CD. I really looove Erase me even though I know I shouldn't. Damn thing was stuck in my head for weeks. Cudi is a guy that can't really rap but man his shit is catchy as fuck.

DominoKid

soultron said:

i only ride for J.Cole cause he's from NC. (hometown/state hero and all of that) he's only got like 4 or 5 songs i really like and all of those have come in the last few months.

*kanyeshrug*

xrich

Banned
Knux-Future said:
Is Cudi's CD bout to leak...this song and the other Kanye song ( which is meh) both drop today.

I'm really looking forward to Cudi's CD. I really looove Erase me even though I know I shouldn't. Damn thing was stuck in my head for weeks. Cudi is a guy that can't really rap but man his shit is catchy as fuck.

Theres another Kanye featured Cudi track out??

Diggy can rap, wouldn't say I'm a fan of his though

It's funny how on the Run's House show, his big brother decided to make a bunch of ATL type rap for radio and embarrassed himself. Whereas Diggy is going for straight up spitting, multi syllable flow.

xrich

Banned
Knux-Future said:
Yeah it's called Whylin cuz I'm Young or some shit like that...it's like amillie but worse.

Just listened to it, its not that bad. DEFINITELY not worse than a-milli...

but goddamn Diggy can rap. I love that kind of flow so I hope he makes it big and gets some nice beats soon. Possible-fan here

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Threi said:

What's wrong with Belly man? Dude's got some sick tracks off that Revolution album.

..some. Why the hell do people even like Money To Blow? If not the worst Drake track, Birdman had to snatch it and make it even worse.

/TDot resident.

Kimosabae

Banned
loanshark0729 said:
Nothing new but i've been listening to this again lately:

CannibalOxTheColdVein.jpg1

Definitely one of my top five albums of all time :D

Just finished listening to this while chillin' with this chick from my job. I thought the soundscape would be too cold for her to get into, but she dug it. She loves 'Pigeon' and 'Iron Galaxy'.

I also got a 40 year old Irish white man who's all about ACDC and Led Zepplin and Bob Dylan into Cannibal Ox. He fucking loves them. He was disheartened when I showed him that tweet about Vordul.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
one thing i like about cudi is that the guy has his own language, or vocabulary that actually makes sense.

DominoKid

xrich said:
haha I remember when Eminem's tracklist leaked and a "Kobe" was listed, but it turned out not to be Bryant of course.

Well this time it is! But with Kanye

http://twitpic.com/2ewk8i

cant decide if its weirder to see Kobe or Swizz in the studio w/ Kanye.

well. at least Kobe is good at what he does. Swizz? not so much.

xrich

Banned
DominoKid said:
cant decide if its weirder to see Kobe or Swizz in the studio w/ Kanye.

well. at least Kobe is good at what he does. Swizz? not so much.

Hey man, Kanye says its going to be Swizz's year!

Seeing Kanye and Mos together makes me happy though. If Talib was there I could die a happy man.

loanshark0729

Neo Member
Devil Theory said:
Top five? Interesting.

I enjoy the album, but that's pretty far up for me, considering the vastness of hiphop in general. It's somewhat monotonous, but not bad by any means. 'Stress Rap' and 'Atom' are my two favorites from it.

It was the album that first got me into hip hop so it's always had a special place with me, but my top five list would be:

1) Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
2) Non-Prophets - Hope
3) Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
4) Lil Wayne - No Ceilings (even though it's a mixtape)
5) Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Lil Wayne - No Ceilings looks out of place in that list, I'm by no means one of those people that tell others what they should or shouldn't listen, just that specific mixtape from Wayne seems odd

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Any one of Wayne's Squad Up takes is superior to Ceilings.

imo of course

Kimosabae said:
He was disheartened when I showed him that tweet about Vordul.
What's this now?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nabs said:
i dont know why i'm following kanye on twitter. i think he has a crush on bieber now.

You're following him for the same reason everybody else is. He's fucking hilariously non-sequitur. One second, it's shoes, then the aforementioned Bieber man-crush. It wouldn't surprise me if he started ranting about Scott Pilgrim and Skittles. :lol

methodman

Banned
I have such a man crush on Kid Cudi, almost to the point where I find any song he releases to immediately be placed first on my replay list.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
K.Jack said:
For me, Drake and J. Cole give me the same feeling, as far as their flows go.

I actually totally feel this way to. First time I heard J Cole I thought it sounded alot like Drake. I don't dislike either, but am not big fans either. They get bantered around a lot around other artists I like though, but I just can't get passed this meh okay feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom