• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
K.Jack said:
For me, Drake and J. Cole give me the same feeling, as far as their flows go.

I'm not a Drake fan, but I am a J. Cole fan. J. Cole's pretty great, but he gets compared to Drake a lot, and deep down I hate that. It may be that "hipster justification" of Drake's stardom/radioplay being detested, but I dunno. I hope Cole's album will be a hit, but deep down I know they'll compare his debut album to Drake's.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
spindashing said:
I'm not a Drake fan, but I am a J. Cole fan. J. Cole's pretty great, but he gets compared to Drake a lot, and deep down I hate that. It may be that "hipster justification" of Drake's stardom/radioplay being detested, but I dunno. I hope Cole's album will be a hit, but deep down I know they'll compare his debut album to Drake's.
The only reason I compare them, is because I hear a lot of similarities in their flows. They set up their metaphors/punchlines in the same way. It's that "Quick Draw McGraw, I went to are school" method.

Tokubetsu

methodman said:
I have such a man crush on Kid Cudi, almost to the point where I find any song he releases to immediately be placed first on my replay list.

Wouldn't go that far but as a twenty something black man who enjoys good bud and indie music as much as hip-hop, I can identify with Cudi :lol That and more than anything else, he always has excellent production.

HiResDes

20100630-EMPIRESTATE.jpg

20100812-EMPIRE.jpg

DL LINK

I'm just hyped to hear some new Sene and Illz.

loanshark0729

Neo Member
methodman said:
I have such a man crush on Kid Cudi, almost to the point where I find any song he releases to immediately be placed first on my replay list.

Yeah I really like Cudi too, his and J. Cole's releases are my most anticipated of this year.

My favorite Cudi song would have to be: Cudi Zone

methodman said:
I have a man-crush on him too. I just identify with him the most out of anyone I've listened to. Being alone, coping with that, etc. I don't even smoke weed but I can find myself enjoying his lyrics involving the bud.

I'd wish he'd stop fooling around though. Arrested a few times, punching a fan, etc.

He's not even uber lyrical, but I enjoy his shit. Sometimes I hate when he forces himself to say stuff on tracks and it feels fake, but other than that, the lonely stoner is at the top of my lists. Hell, I like Erase Me, cause it's so damned catchy. Creative dude.

RPS37

I've only been getting really deep into hip hop for about a year or so.
I was reeeallly into Cudi a couple months before the album came out.
I'm digging Mr Rager a lot, but he totally doesn't rap on it. It seems like he's trying to make a lot more hard to classify music, which is cool.

That said, if like Cudi, you should check out XV if you haven't yet. He's nerdy, funny, cocky, loner dude. He has like hundreds of songs.
I've listened to all of it starting from Recycle Bin. I'm afraid to download the 80 song mixtape though.

loanshark0729

Neo Member
HiResDes said:
Daaaaamn, that track is pretty hot. By far the best thing i've heard from Drake but overall I still think he's mediocre. I didn't really like his album much aside from a few songs but if he releases more stuff like this my opinions about him might change.

Shiggie

Tokubetsu said:
Wouldn't go that far but as a twenty something black man who enjoys good bud and indie music as much as hip-hop, I can identify with Cudi :lol That and more than anything else, he always has excellent production.
Haha. Thats me in a nutshell. Cudi's music is one of the few (probably only) that connects with me.
Now that I think about it Its probably just Cudi, Lupe and Blu and kanye in some ways.

Kimosabae

Banned
Anyone remember when mainstream singles used to be good?

Ghetto Superstar feat. Pras, Mya and ODB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKq5Tv8uK7I

Here's a 98' Charlie Rose interview with Canibus and Pras talking about hip hop in general.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf6VpbSp8Dk&feature=player_embedded

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRB7o7jEa2k&feature=related

Awkward in moments, but it's interesting to see Canibus' demeanor before his quick rise and fall. Later interviews he tends to be a lot more on edge, I think.

soultron

Banned
I wrote a poem for Drake after youtube'ing his stuff.

Yo, Drake's in the booth freestylin' straight off the dome? (Hell nope.)
Blackberry raps cause Young Money couldnt afford an iPhone.
But Drizzy says you don't have to write in order to be a good rapper!
Then why's Jimmy typin' out hershey verses while sittin' on the crapper?!

I wrote this shit out on paper, yeah this much is true.
I'm honest knowin' I'm no good, and Drake, neither are you.
Academic honesty is something I learned in University.
At least you beat Kanye when you dropped out Degrassi.

Speakin' of school, maybe you should spent
more time flunkin' in that fake wheelchair.
Maybe then you'd know the rap game isn't all
fresh nike dunkin', high and tight in the hair.

I heard even J. Cole's better at repeatin' the same suffix.
(Who dat?) Duurrrrrake so dumb he mixed up four bars for six.
D-rake be learnin' cause this verse is chock fulla protips.
Son, this be real bar hoppin', no bottles, yeah, no chicks.

Got blinded by the club lights now you're Flo-Rida Fo-gettable,
Caught in the industry sights, you've become David Guettable.
So don't try to sell me your album claiming it's incredible,
'Cause even delayed, it's still 14 tracks of straight inedible.

Drake claimed he was king without first visiting the Old Prince and me?
Nope, didn't know him and said he was Totally Shit Outta Luck,
Maybe he didn't get down with those True Sounds of Liberty.
Yep, Drizzy probably collab with Akon annot Kardy. Err What the fuck?!

So fake had breakfast at Wheezy's
Audrey Drake was hempburnin'
Cause when I whipped out sticky
Only me with the ganja-yearnin'

Actually, we can call a truce, big D.
You get on the blackberry, dial up Nicki,
Get her and we'll have a Minaj et three,
If you can get it up over Keshia Chante.

D, have fun being Young Money roofed,
spinnin' rap textiles,
Because Drake straight done goofed,
Got Toronto exiled.

=======

I had fun. My first time even attempting to write something singable. Even though it would never work as a song. Haha. I think that first verse is a burner though.

Kimosabae

Banned
soultron said:
I wrote a poem for Drake after youtube'ing his stuff.

Yo, Drake's in the booth freestylin' straight off the dome? (Hell nope.)
Blackberry raps cause Young Money couldnt afford an iPhone.
But Drizzy says you don't have to write in order to be a good rapper!
Then why's Jimmy typin' out hershey verses while sittin' on the crapper?!

I wrote this shit out on paper, yeah this much is true.
I'm honest knowin' I'm no good, and Drake, neither are you.
Academic honesty is something I learned in University.
At least you beat Kanye when you dropped out Degrassi.

Speakin' of school, maybe you should spent
more time flunkin' in that fake wheelchair.
Maybe then you'd know the rap game isn't all
fresh nike dunkin', high and tight in the hair.

I heard even J. Cole's better at repeatin' the same suffix.
(Who dat?) Duurrrrrake so dumb he mixed up four bars for six.
D-rake be learnin' cause this verse is chock fulla protips.
Son, this be real bar hoppin', no bottles, yeah, no chicks.

Got blinded by the club lights now you're Flo-Rida Fo-gettable,
Caught in the industry sights, you've become David Guettable.
So don't try to sell me your album claiming it's incredible,
'Cause even delayed, it's still 14 tracks of straight inedible.

Drake claimed he was king without first visiting the Old Prince and me?
Nope, didn't know him and said he was Totally Shit Outta Luck,
Maybe he didn't get down with those True Sounds of Liberty.
Yep, Drizzy probably collab with Akon annot Kardy. Err What the fuck?!

So fake had breakfast at Wheezy's
Audrey Drake was hempburnin'
Cause when I whipped out sticky
Only me with the ganja-yearnin'

Actually, we can call a truce, big D.
You get on the blackberry, dial up Nicki,
Get her and we'll have a Minaj et three,
If you can get it up over Keshia Chante.

D, have fun being Young Money roofed,
spinnin' rap textiles,
Because Drake straight done goofed,
Got Toronto exiled.

=======

I had fun. My first time even attempting to write something singable. Even though it would never work as a song. Haha. I think that first verse is a burner though.

I lol'd. I can get behind anything anti-Drake.

It'd be appreciated more if you made a video, though.

reKon

Banned
loanshark0729 said:
Daaaaamn, that track is pretty hot. By far the best thing i've heard from Drake but overall I still think he's mediocre. I didn't really like his album much aside from a few songs but if he releases more stuff like this my opinions about him might change.

listen to his damn mixtapes, smh

soultron

Banned
Kimosabae said:
I lol'd. I can get behind anything anti-Drake.

It'd be appreciated more if you made a video, though.
I would make a video, but the flow and rhyming style of a few of the verses is too different from the others. Some of it works, (and some of it only works on paper) but I feel that since I don't rap, I'd just be aping other guys' delivery.

Give me a good beat and maybe I could get my act together. (Where's that GAF-Hop collaboration thread?) Unless you want it without music?

Kimosabae

Banned
soultron said:
I would make a video, but the flow and rhyming style of a few of the verses is too different from the others. Some of it works, (and some of it only works on paper) but I feel that since I don't rap, I'd just be aping other guys' delivery.

Give me a good beat and maybe I could get my act together. (Where's that GAF-Hop collaboration thread?) Unless you want it without music?

Just perform it however you feel most comfortable. However you personally feel it'll come across most effectively and naturally - do it. Just make sure to employ confidence and conviction.

Here's the Mixtape thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396001

soultron

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Just perform it however you feel most comfortable. However you personally feel it'll come across most effectively and naturally - do it. Just make sure to employ confidence and conviction.

Here's the Mixtape thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396001
I think I have a delivery down. It will probably sound like other dudes, but I think it's hilarious.

I found something to rhyme over top of. I have a shitty USB mic so I'll do my best. Any advice as to which program to overlay the vocals onto the track with? (Free programs?)

Jay Sosa

..aw fuck it I'm not contributing to this stupid discussion any more

Anyways I know I'm repeating myself but I can't get over the fact how good this tape is:

Story to tell/Video (Old people like me immediately recognize the awesome sample:CRU - Just Another Case)

Muddy Waters

Life that I chose(Is that Wiz in the hook?)

Roll One(That's Ro in the hook, I recognize him :D )

Rollin On

"Making of"

This album needs a S&C treatment Asap. In a perfect world both Krit and him would release a double album with the tape and the screw mix as bonus disc for 8$.

And I just read that he released some other tapes (duh, dunno why I didn't check) that are seemingly excellent as well.

Curren$y is getting the most burn on my sound system right now. Jets!!

And I still can't get my hands on a physical copy :C

HiResDes

^Was hyped for that until I realized all of those tracks have been previously released and the new Big Sean tracks will also appear on Finally Famous Vol. 3, which comes out next week.

HiResDes

L.E.$. - Beautiful Struggle, Big K.R.I.T. - Wuz Here, and Aleon Craft - The Stargazing Soundtrack...Yes it's good enough to mentioned with those two mixtapes.

Kimosabae said:
Just finished listening to this while chillin' with this chick from my job. I thought the soundscape would be too cold for her to get into, but she dug it. She loves 'Pigeon' and 'Iron Galaxy'.

I also got a 40 year old Irish white man who's all about ACDC and Led Zepplin and Bob Dylan into Cannibal Ox. He fucking loves them. He was disheartened when I showed him that tweet about Vordul.

Wait, what happened to Vordul?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
HiResDes said:
^Was hyped for that until I realized all of those tracks have been previously released and the new Big Sean tracks will also appear on Finally Famous Vol. 3, which comes out next week.

I haven't listened to any of those tracks, so it will be a good refresher for me.

Sighhhh I love Mr. Rager but Cudi's album release is so far away -- I don't want to end up over playing Mr. Rager before the album gets here.

I may just delete the .mp3 file. TT_TT Someone ... help .... me.

Tokubetsu

Nabs said:
was listening to some str8 no killa

ran into the Block Beataz joints, probably won't get to the rest for a while.

Yep. Kno from CL produced a track on his EP too thats damn good:

http://qn5.com/blog/entry/AUDIO-Freddie-Gibbs-The-Coldest-f.-BJ-The-Chicago-Kid-Produced-by-Kno/

It's a bit different coming from Kno.

I'm still trying to figure out who produced the last track on the ep, "Oil Money" Ft Bun B, Chuck Inglish, Chip Tha Ripper and one of the dudes from Black Keys. Credit goes to "Blended Babies."

spindashing said:
Sighhhh I love Mr. Rager but Cudi's album release is so far away -- I don't want to end up over playing Mr. Rager before the album gets here.

:lol Yea, I'm wearing it the fuck out too.

Nabs

really nice.

ever hear that track kno / deac did for lil scrappy? first scrappy song i can say i enjoyed.

spindashing said:

I'm not even listening to the leaks until I get the album.

Koroshi said:
I'm not even listening to the leaks until I get the album.

Admirable. I think I'll just delete Mr. Rager off of my iPod as well as Mojo So Dope. It'll be hard, but I'll wait for the album.

WaleKidCudiBackstage_WALEHighline.jpg

DAMN IT CUDI DAMN IT ALL. oh hi wale. :D

Tokubetsu

Figures the one week I had shit I'd finally get the Curren$y/Wiz hype train haha. Had to go support for Pilot Talk has been my shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqT9LBCPgQQ
Love this track.

One of these days, I might do a mix of all my favourite bud songs. Make it all one mp3 like a casette tape. This song would be the last track on side b :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom