• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
inspectah derek said:
SkuF'L- Welcome to My Block: Where Nuttin' Makes Sense
1755521071-1.jpg

This is insane ! Another freely released EP. If you like XV, you will love this. The entire album was Produced/Performed/Written/Arranged/Mix & Mastered by himself and is incredibly impressive.

http://skufl.bandcamp.com/album/welcome-to-my-block-where-nuttin-makes-sense-ep

Downloading now thanks!

Kimosabae

Banned
siddx said:
No because he still makes enjoyable music. Selling out is an idiotic term anyways. If making a living means selling out that I will sell the fuck out of myself.

That's fine, just recognize principled people's right to vilify your dishonest character.

Seriously, everyone needs to make money in this world, but it doesn't mean you have to compromise yourself or the art you represent in an effort to do so. Every artist that allows that disingenuous approach to succeed only shuts the door tighter on others looking to shine a unique light into the industry (or any other industry premised on creative talents). Capitalist industries incline toward homogeneity for a reason.

Assuming I decide to take rap seriously at some point, one of my main agendas will be to convince everyone I come into contact with that all oblique styles require is proper marketing.

DominoKid

dskillzhtown said:
Drake just announced an upcoming tour with him, Bun B, Wiz Khalifa and The Clipse starting in September. That is going to be a mixed up crowd, lol.

Drake, Wiz and Clipse together would be crazy to me

Tokubetsu

Weird that Wiz is doing that. Isn't he doing the Wake n' Baken shitt his fall with Yelawolf?

ShinobiFist said:
I've been there all week just chilling, killing time and enjoying the moment. Taking pics to remember it. This one hurts more then the closing of CBGB's. All I need to hear is that Bleecker Bob's is shutting down and I'll become one grumpy bastard.

Post some pics when you can man.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Kimosabae said:
That's fine, just recognize principled people's right to vilify your dishonest character.

Seriously, everyone needs to make money in this world, but it doesn't mean you have to compromise yourself or the art you represent in an effort to do so. Every artist that allows that disingenuous approach to succeed only shuts the door tighter on others looking to shine a unique light into the industry (or any other industry premised on creative talents). Capitalist industries incline toward homogeneity for a reason.

Assuming I decide to take rap seriously at some point, one of my main agendas will be to convince everyone I come into contact with that all oblique styles require is proper marketing.

How did BOB compromise himself? He might have added a more pop vibe to his music but he did it well, its not like he threw on a generic pop instrumental and rapped soulja boy caliber lyrics over it. It was good music, creative music in some instances. As someone who listened to very little BOB prior to the album, I had no frame of reference. I took the album as it was, alone. And I thought it was a very good blending of genres and pop/rap. We can't have a million wayne clones warbling their way through every track or jeezy clones grunting like idiots over the same damn instrumental. Sometimes we need someone to try something different, and I appreciate him for doing so.

Not to mention that the music industry isn't what it used to be. Without some appeal, without being different and unique, you might as well go work at McDonalds. Used to be you could have one hit record and go Gold without blinking. Even albums that were outside of the mainstream had a shot at selling well and making money. Now you are lucky to make the charts unless you are one of the big 4. If you want to make a living solely on hip hop, you need to either downgrade your expectations to a honda civic and one bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood...or you have to start considering a wider audience. BOB considered a wider audience, and i'm not mad at him for it.

I do expect him to continue making mixtapes that appeal to his pre album fans. Because thats the new hip hop winning game plan. Make you album something to attract fans. Make your mixtape something to keep your credibility intact. And then make your money on the road.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
siddx said:
How did BOB compromise himself? He might have added a more pop vibe to his music but he did it well, its not like he threw on a generic pop instrumental and rapped soulja boy caliber lyrics over it. It was good music, creative music in some instances. As someone who listened to very little BOB prior to the album, I had no frame of reference. I took the album as it was, alone. And I thought it was a very good blending of genres and pop/rap. We can't have a million wayne clones warbling their way through every track or jeezy clones grunting like idiots over the same damn instrumental. Sometimes we need someone to try something different, and I appreciate him for doing so.

Not to mention that the music industry isn't what it used to be. Without some appeal, without being different and unique, you might as well go work at McDonalds. Used to be you could have one hit record and go Gold without blinking. Even albums that were outside of the mainstream had a shot at selling well and making money. Now you are lucky to make the charts unless you are one of the big 4. If you want to make a living solely on hip hop, you need to either downgrade your expectations to a honda civic and one bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood...or you have to start considering a wider audience. BOB considered a wider audience, and i'm not mad at him for it.

I do expect him to continue making mixtapes that appeal to his pre album fans. Because thats the new hip hop winning game plan. Make you album something to attract fans. Make your mixtape something to keep your credibility intact. And then make your money on the road.

Alot of reality and truth in this post. Alot of it many people don't want to hear, but alot of truth.

siddx said:

Not saying you're wrong, but you pretty much just described how he compromised himself, by forcibly changing his music for a wider audience and conforming to the popularized mainstream aspects of the music industry. You mentioned charts, and how difficult it is to obtain a larger status, which is the point of reference as to why an artist changes their natural and original musical personality. They compromise to reach a higher status, and therefore a larger audience. There are a lot of underground artists that haven't changed their formula and don't live poorly; something like finances is all about the individual and not consequences of your style or philosophy.

The fact that you expect him to release and have two distinct styles, one for mainstream albums and mixtapes for the "other fans" and credibility, points to this change. Compromise means changing yourself and giving up something for more exposure, and more money, rather than obtaining that through progressive recognition. It's a shortcut, which leads to lack of credibility.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Devil Theory said:
Not saying you're wrong, but you pretty much just described how he compromised himself, by forcibly changing his music for a wider audience and conforming to the popularized mainstream aspects of the music industry. You mentioned charts, and how difficult it is to obtain a larger status, which is the point of reference as to why an artist changes their natural and original musical personality. They compromise to reach a higher status, and therefore a larger audience. There are a lot of underground artists that haven't changed their formula and don't live poorly; something like finances is all about the individual and not consequences of your style or philosophy.

The fact that you expect him to release and have two distinct styles, one for mainstream albums and mixtapes for the "other fans" and credibility, points to this change. Compromise means changing yourself and giving up something for more exposure, and more money, rather than obtaining that through progressive recognition. It's a shortcut, which leads to lack of credibility.

Heh. There are also a lot of underground artists with outside jobs. I think BoB making two types of music is indicitive of his personality. He's not the grim and serious type...he never has been. I don't like his album, but I can see where the mood he put forth is in keeping with the mentality he exhibited on his mixtapes. Different feel, different tone, different music, but nothing as jarring as say, Drake suddenly trying to appeal to the street crowd by releasing a gangsta album.

Tokubetsu

WanderingWind said:
More About Nothing is Wale's best work, period. This has been on repeat since it dropped, and I didn't even like the dude before this.

The way this builds up through tiers. right at 1:31 and then again at 2:37 and 3:00 equals awesome fucking track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Knu1S_iSoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FYf905iI_o

Best thing he's ever done and will probably ever do if he keeps going like this. Everything he's done post Back to The Feature I don't care for. Attention Deficit was almost definitely a bigger let down than Adventures of Bobby Ray.

WanderingWind said:
More About Nothing is Wale's best work, period. This has been on repeat since it dropped, and I didn't even like the dude before this.

The way this builds up through tiers. right at 1:31 and then again at 2:37 and 3:00 equals awesome fucking track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Knu1S_iSoY

I don't agree. The original Mixtape About Nothing has a stretch from track 5 to 13 that he's NEVER touched since. More About nothing is alright, but it just doesn't hold me in the same way.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't know why but everything before this of his just seemed so...generic. I think seeing his album tank introduced a little humility in his raps that his previous stuff lacked. He plays with some wordplay outside of the basic "I'm so awesome" stuff that dominated his earlier music.

I have hopes for his next album.

The M.O.B

So lupe is dropping his newest single "Go To Sleep" from his next album after lasers but before lasers.........

This artwork is on carter cartel, not sure if official (hope not)

lupe.jpeg

You can catch a snippet here

Would anyone happen to have this mixtape that dropped after The Black Album?

SCarterTheReMix.jpg

I only have a couple tracks from it. There's an Allure remix by Just Blaze that is sick.

Tokubetsu

The M.O.B said:
So lupe is dropping his newest single "Go To Sleep" from his next album after lasers but before lasers.........

lupe.jpeg

lol lupe fiasco.

The M.O.B said:

lupe.jpeg

A single from his NEXT album and we didn't even get lasers. Lupe I used to love you but...

son.jpg

spermatic cord said:
jcolethewarmup.jpg

This shit is so fucking good. I downloaded last year but only during summer did my plays for this skyrocket. There are like zero bad songs.
Love this tape. 10/10 :D I aslo love the album art, lmao.

Whatever is going on with Lupe's album is disappointing. Love the first two albums but my patience is wearing thin waiting for this stupid shit to release.

Hey LA GAF. Is anyone else going to see the Roots tonight? (Playing at the Troubardor tonight at 10). Im here out on an internship, and dont know a single person who can appreciate them enough to pay 35 bucks to see them DAMMIT :lol

I'm gonna fly solo and see'm either way, but it would be cool to meet up over there with a fellow appreciator!

Wait you guys are actually mad that he's released this? It's not his fault his label isn't releasing his shit so when he does put out new shit you get mad?

wat?

Good song tho.

Knux-Future said:
Wait you guys are actually mad that he's released this? It's not his fault his label isn't releasing his shit so when he does put out new shit you get mad?

wat?

Good song tho.
He could release something from his current album (that's not out yet) rather than from his next album.

xrich

Banned
Koroshi said:
He could release something from his current album (that's not out yet) rather than from his next album.

Why does it matter? A song is a song. He could have lied and said it was from Lazers and nobody would have known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom