• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Tokubetsu said:
We doing top 5s of the year already?

In no particular order

Curren$y - Pilot Talk
The Roots - How I Got Over
Dessa - Badly Broken Code
Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package
Diabolic - Liar & A Thief

Those are albums that I've been basically wearing out.
The Stimulus Package, Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty and How I Got Over for me. Still gonna listen to Curren$y.

Tokubetsu

It took me a long time to get into Curren$y but his beat selection is great, they're all really laid back and fairly simple. His lyrics are simple too but he has a nice voice/flow. He's got a great "don't give a fuck, I'm just happy to be able to make music and smoke weed" vibe to him that I like. Positive energy :lol

Also, not many rappers start verses with a line like "Hollow a mountain out" or have great lines like "Eat my sweats off of my shoes/ I'm a dog man."

Kimosabae

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Where you from man? I did two years at St. Georges in Kingston, was born in Kingston too but spent most of my life in St. Mary/Ocho Rios before I left.

Born in Kingston, lived in St. Catherine just outside Coney Park/St. Elizabeth. Lived in FL most of my life, as I came here at a young age, but I attended Lacovia High School in St. Elizabeth for a year. Gave me a great appreciation of life in America when I was a kid. Loved the culture, but life in Jamaica haaard! Fuck that shit!

Ovid

spermatic cord said:
jcolethewarmup.jpg

This shit is so fucking good. I downloaded last year but only during summer did my plays for this skyrocket. There are like zero bad songs.
I love the video and the single he has out now.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Born in Kingston, lived in St. Catherine just outside Coney Park/St. Elizabeth. Lived in FL most of my life, as I came here at a young age, but I attended Lacovia High School in St. Elizabeth for a year. Gave me a great appreciation of life in America when I was a kid. Loved the culture, but life in Jamaica haaard! Fuck that shit!

Haha yea, thats why me and my mom moved. Eroding middle class and my sister was already in college here (she was born in Miami). I miss some things though.

xrich

Banned
i hope his album isnt delayed anymore. has he released a new song this week yet? power remix last week...all of the lights this week?!

The M.O.B

I hope you guys realize it's not kanye who is dropping music each week, its his g.o.o.d music label. He will have a brand new song from one of the g.o.o.d music artists each friday.

It could be Cudi one week, Big Sean the next, and then maybe another kanye song, no guarantees.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The M.O.B said:
I hope you guys realize it's not kanye who is dropping music each week, its his g.o.o.d music label. He will have a brand new song from one of the g.o.o.d music artists each friday.

It could be Cudi one week, Big Sean the next, and then maybe another kanye song, no guarantees.
I'm still surprised Kanye signed him. Dude is.... like a slightly evolved Soulja Boy.

Jay Sosa

K.Jack said:
Does he also hate money?

Well he prefers headlining his own tour instead of having a 20 minutes set max.

Dude is doing pretty well on his own:

It's been reported by industry insiders that rapper Wiz Khalifa has officially signed with Atlantic Records. Actually putting his ink on the dotted line weeks ago, his last project independently will be "Kush and Orange Juice." When asked about signing with Atlantic Records, Wiz Khalifa said "Whatever people want it to be, that's what it is. I didn't say yes, I didn't say no." Either way, independently, Wiz Khalifa Kush and Orange Juice mixtape did over 1 million downloads and shares across the web.

Obviously a deal that had to be valued highly, it's speculated for Wiz Khalifa to ink a deal there would be a $5MM to $10MM signing bonus probably shelled out. The funding after that is totally fluid.

Wiz Khalifa's independent Hip Hop music value is already in the millions. The Pittsburgh, PA rapper topped iTunes with album "Deal or No Deal" and could create a Youtube partnership that's worth 6 figures per year. Videos "This Plane" and "Ink My Whole Body' each have over 1 million views. Throw in the fact he's able to sell out venues and sell merchandise, then estimates can really get crazy.

"Wiz Khalifa is worth millions without a question. Not sure if a recording artist could sign him because he's so big as himself. Most artists turned CEOs look to coach, transform, and co-sign a rapper or singer. That factory format creates their whole image, not really the people in the streets. Wiz Khalifa pretty much got a deal, dropped a deal, then just took over independently. Radios aren't playing him like they did Drake which says he has a more authentic fan base," Says CKHID founder Rodrick Rainey.

Tokubetsu

Jay Sosa said:
Well he prefers headlining his own tour instead of having a 20 minutes set max.

Dude is doing pretty well on his own:

It's a much better fit for him anyway. He has that Waken n Baken tour this fall and I'm fairly certain he wants to make it into an annual thing with a bunch of other artists as well.

Jay Sosa

Yeah It would be pretty smart trying to establish an annual tour.

Btw: Just ordered The Roots album and Pilot Talk via amazon.com, shipping isn't as bad as I feared. I never realized how cheap CDs are in the US, most fairly new albums (Ricky Rawse, Big Boi, Roots, Currensy) are all about 9$, while they are about 16€ in Europe(if even available)..

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The M.O.B said:

Yeah, that's why I pulled that quote out in the post. Still. A new Cudi, Cons, or Kanye track every week is good enough for me.

Like somebody already said, this is Kanye trying to win back the fans who thought he went overboard with his ego. That's a pretty cool move in my book. :D

HiResDes

LTTP, but this is fantastic...So fucking soulful. (Dude makes Cudi look conservative)

theoalbum.jpg

DL LINK
Alternate LINK

Actual Proof's EP also dropped (9th Wonder produced it, what more do I need to say?):

Actual-Proof-F-highrez.jpg

LINK

Bonus: Genius (Wonder why this didn't make the tape?)

...Shit I might need to adjust my top fives. :D

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So pissed I didn't get to go to Rock The Bells this year. I went a few years back when they switched their final tour date from Vancouver to just outside Seattle. Was an amazing event.

Also I completely forgot I had gotten Proof's Time A Tell tape weeks ago. Just ran across it on my computer and so far i'm impressed. Jerry Garcia was an...interesting album. This is pretty solid though.

My brethren:

I like rap. Love it, in fact. One thing that lacks in my collection, though, is some of the 90s classics, especially from Wu-Tang. I have 36 Chambers, but what else should I look into from the Clan, and all the side projects that resulted? Liquid Swords I assume, but what else?

HiResDes

DeathbyVolcano said:
My brethren:

I like rap. Love it, in fact. One thing that lacks in my collection, though, is some of the 90s classics, especially from Wu-Tang. I have 36 Chambers, but what else should I look into from the Clan, and all the side projects that resulted? Liquid Swords I assume, but what else?

Wu-Tang Bible

1. Gza - Liquid Swords
2. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
3. Ghostface Killah - Ironman
4. Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Forever
5. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. 2
6. Methodman - Tical
7. Ghostface Killah - The Big Doe Rehab
8. Ghostface Killah - More Fish
9. Wu Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams
10. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale

Honorable Mention - ODB - Return of the 36 Chambers

Edit: Fuck Nelly.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:
Oh and Nickelus F's camp released a NO-DJ Version of His Commercials Mixtape

Edit: Loving the new Illz, it's like The Pursuit LP 2.0...Which is a very good thing, but if you're expecting some sort of evolution you may be disappointed.

I think the Illz album has a somewhat different feel. Far more soulful than the pursuit. The pursiut had a more experimental, genre mash up feel. This one feels more focused on one vibe, but still fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom