• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
Was gonna type out a long-winded post regarding the "sellout" discussion, but fuck it. I disagree there's anything unique about the mainstream artists that currently dominate the charts.

Also rap music, while hosting infinite potential, is starting to feel like a shackled and hollow art form to me.

Anyways. Been in a shit mood lately. This song and video always hits me emotionally:

'Megagraphitti' by Vordul Mega
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZI2RPDQ3gQ&feature=search

This shit is so poetic and so real.

xrich said:
Why does it matter? A song is a song. He could have lied and said it was from Lazers and nobody would have known.
A song is a song, yes. And I DO like this new song, but I really really really can't trust Lupe when he promises something anymore. I get he has issues with his label and everything, but damn. So now he's going to promote this new album and forget Lasers? Then both albums will be in Atlantic's hands forever and never see public eyes? Smh.

In the back of my mind, I swear Lupe will say, "Forget Lasers, that album will never come out so I'm going to do Food and Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album so wait till that comes out..."

Which'll be when?

Negro how long did you keep us at the edge of our seat for lupEND/Great American Rap Album/Lasers? Maybe I'm being a little spoiled, so let me shut up before I go on.

Edit: tl;dr, fuck Atlantic. =(

DominoKid

spindashing said:
A song is a song, yes. And I DO like this new song, but I really really really can't trust Lupe when he promises something anymore. I get he has issues with his label and everything, but damn. So now he's going to promote this new album and forget Lasers? Then both albums will be in Atlantic's hands forever and never see public eyes? Smh.

In the back of my mind, I swear Lupe will say, "Forget Lasers, that album will never come out so I'm going to do Food and Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album so wait till that comes out..."

Which'll be when?

Negro how long did you keep us at the edge of our seat for lupEND/Great American Rap Album/Lasers? Maybe I'm being a little spoiled, so let me shut up before I go on.

Edit: tl;dr, fuck Atlantic. =(

i doubt Lupe will ever make a better album than F&L anyway. and if that's the case, i'm fine with that. i came to that realization listening to it the other day.

artistically he just seems out of it. The Cool was all over the place. then there's his stupid offshoot faux britpunk band. F&L came off to me as something that was effortless and natural to him. his recent music sounds very forced (to me) and lyrically dense rather than just good, balanced songs like F&L. the production he's getting has also fallen off compared to F&L

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
wiz khalifa declined to tour with drake to focus on him. wow. respect wiz. respect.
DominoKid said:
i doubt Lupe will ever make a better album than F&L anyway. and if that's the case, i'm fine with that. i came to that realization listening to it the other day.

artistically he just seems out of it. The Cool was all over the place. then there's his stupid offshoot faux britpunk band. F&L came off to me as something that was effortless and natural to him. his recent music sounds very forced (to me) and lyrically dense rather than just good, balanced songs like F&L. the production he's getting has also fallen off compared to F&L
as crazy as enemy of the state was, i loved it. it took a moment to get used to it. but lyrically i was floored. not only did it have double meanings, but his double meanings had double meanings. :lol lupe is still top 5 to me.

he has that drake , lil wayne thing going on where his mixtapes are better than his albums.

MMaRsu

spermatic cord said:
jcolethewarmup.jpg

This shit is so fucking good. I downloaded last year but only during summer did my plays for this skyrocket. There are like zero bad songs.

I know right? It's my favorite mixtape ( well it's pretty much an album in it's own right imo ) ever.

Kimosabae said:
Was gonna type out a long-winded post regarding the "sellout" discussion, but fuck it. I disagree there's anything unique about the mainstream artists that currently dominate the charts.

Also rap music, while hosting infinite potential, is starting to feel like a shackled and hollow art form to me.

Anyways. Been in a shit mood lately. This song and video always hits me emotionally:

Damn. Great stuff.

HiResDes

xrich said:
Pharrell ruins it for me. Still nice though, really liking Diggy
While I see potential his voice ruins it for me, and I know he's only 15...But dudes like Quest and Nero started releasing next level shit at the age of 17...Maybe I'll give him another chance in two or three years.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:

Incredible.

HiResDes

yencid said:
Guys can you give me some busta rhymes songs where he raps fast?

other then break your neck and lions roar.
are you being sarcastic...Like every other song. And even in the early days of Leaders of the New School.

yencid

HiResDes said:
are you being sarcastic...Like every other song. And even in the early days of Leaders of the New School.
No i seriously am not, i dont listen to busta that much so i dont really know what to look for.

xrich

Banned
yencid said:
No i seriously am not, i dont listen to busta that much so i dont really know what to look for.

Busta raps fast in like every song though. The only songs of his that come to mind right now are Can't Touch Me Now (Don't Burn Yourself) and Touch It, which has like 5 remixes or something. Good song

starblade

spermatic cord said:
jcolethewarmup.jpg

This shit is so fucking good. I downloaded last year but only during summer did my plays for this skyrocket. There are like zero bad songs.

Honestly, this is all I've been bumping lately. While I can't really get into other dudes supposedly in the same class ( Wale, Kid Cudi, etc.) this dude been on point in like every song he done touched. Wiz Khalifa also has been getting heavy rotation on my playlist.

Also currently playing that Laws mixtape link from earlier in the thread. How I could've missed a dude from the Tampa Bay area with production from J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League (also from Tampa Bay) is beyond me *smdh*

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay so I'm gonna update my top 5 without all the posting why that I posted earlier in this thread meaning my top 5 favorite albums mixtapes or whatever that have been posted in this thread.

5. Wale - More About Nothin
4. Wale - Attention Deficit
3. SkuF'L - Where Nuttin' Makes Sense
2. XV - Everybody's Nobody
1. The Illz - The Pursuit

Overall though I'd say I like the Wale stuff better than the rest to fill out my top 5, but I'd put a big game between 3 and 4 in terms of my liking. I dig that SkuF'L alot actually. I've been playing it all weekend, and I really like the beats especially on the track Welcome. I also really like the XV like I said earlier in the thread.

The Illz album is clearly number 1 though. It's head and shoulders above anything else in this thread IMO (not counting talk about old released albums).

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:
Incredible.

Whaaaaa. I'm assuming you're just agreeing with me and you've heard this song before! I figured you, of all people, would have at least heard that track!

'Megagraphitti' is a surprisingly good album. It's obviously no 'Cold Vein' or even 'Deuces Wild' but it's damn solid. There's two Can-Ox tracks on it and they're both amazing.

'AK-47':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9rWhnaUSUA&feature=related

'In the Mirror'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EH0D6qrvw&feature=search

vordul+mega.jpg

Check it.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
Whaaaaa. I'm assuming you're just agreeing with me and you've heard this song before! I figured you, of all people, would have at least heard that track!

'Megagraphitti' is a surprisingly good album. It's obviously no 'Cold Vein' or even 'Deuces Wild' but it's damn solid. There's two Can-Ox tracks on it and they're both amazing.

'AK-47':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9rWhnaUSUA&feature=related

'In the Mirror'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EH0D6qrvw&feature=search

vordul+mega.jpg

Check it.
I bought it as soon as I heard that song actually...:lol. This is basically like getting another Cannibal Ox album. :D

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Brettison said:
Okay so I'm gonna update my top 5 without all the posting why that I posted earlier in this thread meaning my top 5 favorite albums mixtapes or whatever that have been posted in this thread.

5. Wale - More About Nothin
4. Wale - Attention Deficit
3. SkuF'L - Where Nuttin' Makes Sense
2. XV - Everybody's Nobody
1. The Illz - The Pursuit

Overall though I'd say I like the Wale stuff better than the rest to fill out my top 5, but I'd put a big game between 3 and 4 in terms of my liking. I dig that SkuF'L alot actually. I've been playing it all weekend, and I really like the beats especially on the track Welcome. I also really like the XV like I said earlier in the thread.

The Illz album is clearly number 1 though. It's head and shoulders above anything else in this thread IMO (not counting talk about old released albums).

Best albums of the year so far for me are

5. hmmm Wale's more about nothing is great, but I can't stand anything about seinfeld, which puts a damper on my enjoyment a little bit. Still, great album.
4. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The VS. EP (december release but close enough)
3. Big Boi - Sir lucious left foot
2. Skuf'L - where nothing makes sense
1. The Illz - The Pursuit (again, it released in december 09 but close enough)

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
Hah, hah!

Which one are you?

Just a bunch of cats kicking back and fucking around, rhyming. I miss those days.
I'm the second guy in the song, and the guy right from center in the picture.

CRS

Just listened through The Pursuit and was blown away. Totally fine with it being on people's #1 spot. Well deserved.

Tokubetsu

We doing top 5s of the year already?

In no particular order

Curren$y - Pilot Talk
The Roots - How I Got Over
Dessa - Badly Broken Code
Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package
Diabolic - Liar & A Thief

Those are albums that I've been basically wearing out.

RPS37

I'm finally doing my frost real listenthrough of Kush and OJ.
I kind of just assumed that Wiz songs were going to bore me because it seemed like every song was "I'm awesome cuz I got hella money and bitches and I smoke tons of weed!!"
And it's kind of true, but it's a good sounding tape. Just gotta be in the mood.

Jay Sosa

Kimosabae said:

Yeh me too but I deleted it, that whole argument is getting sooo boring, I already had these discussions ten years ago (back in 2000 when everyone was talking how awful 2000 is and awesome the 90 were, now everyone saying how awesome 2000 was :lol )

Drake just announced an upcoming tour with him, Bun B, Wiz Khalifa and The Clipse starting in September. That is going to be a mixed up crowd, lol

I'm a big fan of each and everyone of these guys, too bad I live in Europe and the chances that they come to anywhere near I live in that line up is 10000000:1 and even if they would people wouldn't even grasp the awesomeness of this concert. They still think Eminem is the best US rap can offer :lol

This years Top 5 mixtapes

#1 Big KRIT - krit wuz here
#2 Quest - How thoughtful
#3 LE$ - Beautiful Struggle
#4 Wiz - Kush & OJ
#5 Dom Kennedy - From the WS with love

Honorable Mention:
XV - Layover (Everybody was better)
The Illz - Pursuit
Treazon - Forgot the name
Moe Green - Something about boxing
XO - 1.1.10
KD - Best of
Currensy - I'm sure dude has released something that deserves to be on this list

And a million other tapes that I forgot about because it's sunday and I'm at work and my brain was in the sun for too long.

dvdjamm

MIXTAPES

Str8 Killa No Filla - Freddie Gibbs
KRIT Was Here - Big KRIT
More About Nothing - Wale
Kush & Orange Juice - Wiz Khalifa
Brake Lights - Game

then

No Mixtape - Bun B
Trap Or Die 2 - Young Jeezy
Fuck A Mixtape - T.I.
5:01 Overtime - Laws
The Champ Is Here 3 - Jadakiss

others

HiResDes

I think you gotta separate free releases from albums. Also because so much shit came out, I'm sticking strictly to shit that was released this year (not even including bonus re-releases). This is how mine would look:

Free Releases

1. Big K.R.I.T. - Wuz Here
2. Asher Roth - Seared Foie Gras (Fat Free)
3. Quest - How Thoughtful
4. J. Ferb - Chase The Dreams, Not The Competition
5. Aleon Craft - The Stargazing Soundtrack

Honorable Mentions: Ayomari - PB&J Solution, Nickelus F- Season Premiere, L.E.$- Beautiful Struggle, K-Os - The Anchorman Mixtape, Curren$y - Smokee Robinson, Moe Green - Rocky Maivia, and J. Pinder - Code Red EP

(Would love to put Skuf'L up there, but I need to listen to it a few more times to make sure).

Retail Albums

1. Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot
2. The Roots - How I Got Over
3. Apollo Brown - The Reset
4. Shad - TSOL
5. Versis - iLLCANDESCENT

Honorable Mention: Freeway & Jake One - Stimulus Package, Curren$y - Pilot Talk, Fat Joe - The Darkside, Debaser - Peerless, Rick Ross - Teflon Don, Eminem - Recovery (Fuck Seduction is Flawless), and Dessa - A Badly Broken Code

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
Currensy - I'm sure dude has released something that deserves to be on this list

And a million other tapes that I forgot about because it's sunday and I'm at work and my brain was in the sun for too long.
Smokee Robinson

Tokubetsu

Have any of you been checking out Madlib's Medicine Show series? I haven't listened to all of them yet but these two are pretty good.

X6Dg1.jpg
vyXIY.jpg

The first one, Medicine Show 4: 420 Chalice All-Stars (AKA Son of Super Ape) is almost entirely reggae/dub and Jamaican music so you know I had to get it (I'm from JA). It's up there with "Blunted In The Bomb Shelter." The other one, #6 is called "The Mind Wreck Show" which is a completely appropriate title since its basically a psych-prog-avante-freak-out-funk rock mix CD.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Wha gwan my-yute?

*Is also Jamaican*

Where you from man? I did two years at St. Georges in Kingston, was born in Kingston too but spent most of my life in St. Mary/Ocho Rios before I left.

HiResDes

Linkhero1 said:
Been bumping this a lot lately

Ud3Wx.jpg

It's the first album of theirs I've listened to are the older ones just as good?
Are you serious? Hell Yeah! Violent By Design is probably the best album they've ever made.

loanshark0729

Neo Member
My top five albums/mixtapes of the year so far:

1. Curren$y - Pilot Talk
2. Moe Green - Rocky Maivia: Non Title Match
3. Wale - More About Nothing
4. Shad - T.S.O.L.
5. L.E.$. - The Beautiful Struggle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tokubetsu said:
We doing top 5s of the year already?

In no particular order

Curren$y - Pilot Talk
The Roots - How I Got Over
Dessa - Badly Broken Code
Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package
Diabolic - Liar & A Thief

Those are albums that I've been basically wearing out.

I was just doing top 5s from this thread that I had found out about honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom