• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiResDes said:
No one is talking about the Fashawn mixtape...Facepalm :lol

Definitely downloading it tonight.

The Wu Tang list looks pretty good for starters. I'd also give No Said Date a mention. Real surprising album.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
Definitely downloading it tonight.

The Wu Tang list looks pretty good for starters. I'd also give No Said Date a mention. Real surprising album.
Yeah I just listened to the whole thing along with ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers again, which I should have also ranked higher.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Oops, I missed the Wu-Tang talk

Ghostface Ironman is the best Wu album ever.

I mean, :

Assassination Day
Poisonous Darts
Winter Wars
Box In Hand
Fish
Camay
Daytona 500
Motherless Child
Black Jesus

RZA never again had a stream of songs this fucking crazy. Few albums in existence can match #5 to #13 of Ironman.

edited...

Slizz

K.Jack said:

I mean, :

Assassination Day
Poisonous Darts
Winter Wars
Box In Hand
Fish
Camay
Daytona 500
Black Jesus

RZA never again had a stream of songs this fucking crazy.

Few albums in existence have
Tony Starks baby, Poisonous Darts is prob my fave from that.

Oozer3993

Kanye and Jay-Z are dropping a 5 track LP soon called "Watch the Throne." Kanye posted the 2nd song off if, "Monster," it just a couple minutes ago on his blog. Features Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver.

Slizz

Oozer3993 said:
Kanye and Jay-Z are dropping a 5 track LP soon called "Watch the Throne." Kanye posted the 2nd song off if, "Monster," it just a couple minutes ago on his blog. Features Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver.
Fuck that shit, you see the new T-Swift vid? Why is she so hot?

Oozer3993

Slizz said:
Fuck that shit, you see the new T-Swift vid? Why is she so hot?

Proof of the existence of God. As great as evolution is, it couldn't make Taylor Swift by itself :p Taylor in a ponytail in that video was hot as hell. Will probably be my new av soon lol.

New Taylor video and Monster and a date and cover for the first official JoJo music in 4 years. It's a really good day to be me :lol

JEKKI

Kimosabae said:
If you like that album you should definitely check the original TC album:

00-typical_cats-typical_cats-2001-bepp.jpg

It's a bonafide classic, with some conceptual masterpieces such as Qwel's 'Manhattan Project', and 'Qweloquialisms' and Denizen's 'Snake Oil'. I like 'Civil Service' more stylistically, but the seminal work should not be missed.
werd. I'll add that TC and sum Qwel stuff to my save for later list so I can remember to pick them up next month!

^_^b

K.Jack said:
How the heck did I miss DJ Muggs vs Planet Asia album? I randomly came across a track on Youtube.
have u checked out Muggs album from last year? Intermission. He actually released it under Soul Assassins instead of DJ Muggs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI5gNd2DwB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbnEGTOoA6c

good stuff.

The M.O.B

Oozer3993 said:

Nicki Minaj has the same routine to her verse every single time.

- She starts off normal, stupid accent, decent lyrics
- Starts to get weird, lyrics start to slip
- Goes to her manly voice, makes horrible punchlines
- Goes to her extreme weirdness and her lyrics turn to garbage.
- Tries to end her verse "hard", instead comes off as laughable.

Kanye's part is good, and :lol ross has like a 10 sec intro verse.

Jay was.............just jay.

Good song, good beat, typical nicki verse. Will sell millions.

K.Jack

HiResDes

dvdjamm said:
Use Somebody? With Ron Artest? Horrible...

Other than that,I'm hoping for a no DJ version cause DJ Skee is annoying
Yeah I agree that's the worst Fashawn song I ever heard...But other than that I think it's pretty fucking dope. Definitely dope enough for a free download. And Skee only says stuff for about 5 seconds, which is relatively less annoying than most mixtape DJ's.

Kimosabae

Banned
Really liked Minaj's verse... did not see that coming. She was just... mad creative with those bars. She was the only artist on that track that seemed to embrace the instrumental wholesale.

Maybe it's because I never really heard her rap before.

I wonder if there's a common thread to 'Power' and 'Monster'. I can't really tell. I wouldn't get my hopes up for something that ambitious, though.

Fashawn downloaded.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Really liked Minaj's verse... did not see that coming. She was just... mad creative with those bars. She was the only artist on that track that seemed to embrace the instrumental wholesale.

Maybe it's because I never really heard her rap before.

I wonder if there's a common thread to 'Power' and 'Monster'. I can't really tell. I wouldn't get my hopes up for something that ambitious, though.

Fashawn downloaded.

Nicki Minaj easily had the best verse. Her flow (the whole bipolar switch up thing) is tailored to a song about monsters though. Jay-Z has been phoning in verses since 2004 so nothing new there. Kanye's wasn't bad and could have done without Ross'.

Monster sounds pretty good. I like Nicki Minaj though even though she gets a lot of hate:lol I like her voice. Didn't like Ross opening it though. Not a fan of him.

K.Jack

The singing at the end of Monster is totally unnecessary and out of place. I thought Jay had the best verse. His first four bars pretty much showed how far he's above the rest of those on the track.

RE: Nicki

I guess I'd respect Minaj a little bit, if she wrote her own rhymes. There's no way she had the epiphany necessary to go from Jump Off 2007 -> Itty Bitty -> where she is now.

The M.O.B

After a bunch of more listens, my opinion is changed a little bit.

No, Nicki is still horrible,

But Jay's verse isn't as bad as I originally thought.
Better than his Power Remix Verse

Ross's intro is terrible, all i know is that he calls himself a "fat mother fucker" and then his part is over. Just Turrible.

Kanye's verse is solid, some bright spots, some low parts.

Oh and here is Nicki's verse so I can point and laugh.

Pull up in the monster
automobile gangster
with a bad b-tch that came from Sri Lanka
yeah I’m in that Tonka, colour of Willy Wonka
you could be the King but watch the Queen conquer
ok first things first I’ll eat your brains
then I’mma start rocking gold teeth and fangs
casue that’s what a muthaf-cking monster do
hairdresser from milan, thats what monster do
monster Giuseppe heel that’s the monster shoe
young money is the roster and the monster crew
and I’m all up all up all up in the bank with the funny face
and if I’m fake I aint notice cause my money aint
so let me get this straight wait I’m the rookie
but my features and my shows ten times your pay
50k for a verse no album out!
yeah my money’s so tall that my barbie’s gotta climb it
hotter than a middle eastern climate
find it 20 mataran dutty whine it
while it, nicki on a pit while I sign it
how these n-ggas so one-track minded
but really really I don’t give a F-U-C-K
forget barbie f-ck nicki she’s fake
she’s on a diet but my pockets eating cheese cake
and I’ll say boy the Chucky is Child’s play
just killed another career it’s a mild day
besides ‘Ye they can’t stand besides me
I think me, you and (?) menage friday
pink wig thick ass give em whip lash
I think big get cash make em blink fast
now look at what you just saw I think this is what you live for
aaahhhh, I’m a muthaf-cking monster!

Tokubetsu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b81wmSn15O0
Dreaming
plotting on my arrival
but reality bites; my main focus
survival at this time in my life
Swear I'm my own worst rival
Even grab the henney every time I'm feeling bottled
How come I ain't hit the lotto?
Or atleast come up on a scheme
At least I ain't doing time
Could be worse, keep your mind
Could say I'm doing fine but a nigga need cream

K.Jack

Tokubetsu said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b81wmSn15O0
Dreaming
plotting on my arrival
but reality bites; my main focus
survival at this time in my life
Swear I'm my own worst rival
Even grab the henney every time I'm feeling bottled
How come I ain't hit the lotto?
Or atleast come up on a scheme
At least I ain't doing time
Could be worse, keep your mind
Could say I'm doing fine but a nigga need cream
Holy shit, that track is crazy!

DominoKid said:
3 years is far more than enough time to redevelop yourself
But her style and level of skill overnight, as soon as Wayne signed her.

vhfive

spindashing said:
Honestly I'm not a Nicki fan, but she did a good job on Monster. I guess Kanye saw something in her besides her wonderful tits.

I hope they take this dude out:

rawse.jpg
I just really hate her voice and yea Ross is complete shit on it (I liked Teflon Don though)

HiResDes

All this talk about Monster, and I at least thought the song would be fairly dope...I couldn't care less what Kanye does with it honestly. You guys are funny.

IrishNinja

aw, i too missed the Wu-talk...fair enough, i just wouldve put up Masta Killa if that other guy didn't.

8 Diagrams > Wu Forever? Iron Flag? huh. i dug 8, but nothing on there was even up to Gravel Pit.
im following RZA's twitter just to see when his kung-fu flick is done, and all im getting is reminders that Rock The Bells is sleeping on Miami this year ;_;

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:
aw, i too missed the Wu-talk...fair enough, i just wouldve put up Masta Killa if that other guy didn't.

8 Diagrams > Wu Forever? Iron Flag? huh. i dug 8, but nothing on there was even up to Gravel Pit.
im following RZA's twitter just to see when his kung-fu flick is done, and all im getting is reminders that Rock The Bells is sleeping on Miami this year ;_;
I didn't say that...At all. And I simply forgot about Iron Flag.

IrishNinja

my bad, just looked that way by your list since it got left off and 8 was up there...it's a fair list though, i smiled seeing Fishscale up there, so good. id put ODB's return higher, but then i have a hard time getting into some of the stuff dudes here love from the wu (Cappa, Priest, Killarmy etc), to each their own.
ps just saw your post saying you'dve put it higher too...:lol ok, ill throw Judgment Day 2000 and Blackout! into the mix, love those two. i wanna put a RZA album up there as well, but not sure which one...it's been years, and Bobby Digital is still growing on me, not sure about The Prince.

RPS37

soul creator said:
hey look GAF, I just recorded another song called "Shine Absorbers"

I post all my songs for my facebook friends, hence the opening shoutout

Not bad.
I just did a little...research on you...I saw you did a rap over the beat for Man on the Moon. (props for that!)

RPS37 said:
Not bad.
I just did a little...research on you...I saw you did a rap over the beat for Man on the Moon. (props for that!)

hah, thanks. I got the Hyerr instrumental as well, so eventually I want to write something for that. Stealing beats is fun!

PBY

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Why would he take out the one with the best verse on the entire song? :lol
et tu toku?
all her verses are nothing more than shitty punchlines.. she uses all those voices and accents (which annoy the shit out of me) to cover up how terrible her rhymes are

Tokubetsu

peterb0y said:
et tu toku?
all her verses are nothing more than shitty punchlines.. she uses all those voices and accents (which annoy the shit out of me) to cover up how terrible her rhymes are

Yea but her style change up works perfectly for a song about monsters. She's still the best one on the beat. Kanye's verse has no energy nad Jay Z is well, Jay Z (sounding like he'd be more interested in doing something else).

IrishNinja

Tokubetsu said:
Yo, I will not have any motherfucker repping 8 Diagrams as some good to even decent shit in this thread. Seriously.

:lol fuckin' Toku. i had that shit on repeat for like a month, kept telling myself it'd grow no me, shit'd get better as i heard it more...ah, cognitive dissonance & hip-hop.

dvdjamm

The M.O.B said:
Nicki Minaj has the same routine to her verse every single time.

- She starts off normal, stupid accent, decent lyrics
- Starts to get weird, lyrics start to slip
- Goes to her manly voice, makes horrible punchlines
- Goes to her extreme weirdness and her lyrics turn to garbage.
- Tries to end her verse "hard", instead comes off as laughable.

That describes nearly every song that she guests on...Massive Attack was terrible and her new song is a fluffy radio song...

As usual with Jay-Z's verse,it actually has a deeper meaning than what's on the surface...Let's just say that Beanie Sigel got got...

Kimosabae

Banned
Again, maybe it's because I'm inexperienced in regards to Minaj, but I fail to see what "deeper meaning" does or doesn't have to do with the presentation of her bars in that song. She was varied, enthusiastic and fun. If she goes through a similar routine on every song I wouldn't know, but my listening experience with 'Monster' is definitely amplified by her presence on it.

I really like that track.

dvdjamm said:
As usual with Jay-Z's verse,it actually has a deeper meaning than what's on the surface...Let's just say that Beanie Sigel got got...

No offense but it was slick and sideways. He also comes off as a hypocrite, as Beans was coming at him with a deluge of verses and accusations. He did nothing except for say, he can believe what he wants to believe, I did everything I could for him and I'm above this. If he had left it at that, okay. Or if he had come out and said his name at least it would of been the brave thing to do.

Honestly, I like Jay-Z but when it comes to beef. He has never handled it proper and usually comes out the loser. (Cam, Nas, Beans, Jim Jones, etc).

Tell me some of your stories
Tell us of your travels
HEY! Mr. Rager! Mr. Rager!
Tell me where you're going!
Tell us where you're headed!
I'm on my way to Heaven..
Mr. Rager!
Can we tag along? Can we take a journey?

headphones.gif

K.Jack said:

I mean, :

Assassination Day
Poisonous Darts
Winter Wars
Box In Hand
Fish
Camay
Daytona 500
Motherless Child
Black Jesus

RZA never again had a stream of songs this fucking crazy. Few albums in existence can match #5 to #13 of Ironman.

edited...
yes.

yes yes yes.

Cappadonna's verse in Winter Warz > most of what the Wu has ever put out.

Betta beware the fearsome Lebanaon Don, Malcom X beat threat.

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Tell me some of your stories
Tell us of your travels
HEY! Mr. Rager! Mr. Rager!
Tell me where you're going!
Tell us where you're headed!
I'm on my way to Heaven..
Mr. Rager!
Can we tag along? Can we take a journey?

headphones.gif

Trying my best to stay away from the leaked tracks of Cudi's. Must resist. =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom