• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.O.B

Playboy Tre just dropped his mixtape "The Last Call"

20100826-LASTCALL1.jpg

20100826-LASTCALL3.jpg

1st half of it is decent so far, some good some bad.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I was talking my GF home tonight and right before we got to her house I switched my radio to BBC Radio 1. My ears perked up cause the host was talking to Wale. I was like what? For real?

Found out it was part of the BBC Radio 1 Stories series, and this one was about the state of New York music. Supposedly they did a thing on the indie scene, the electronica scene, and then the hip-hop scene. I only caught the end though, and am gonna listen to it all online.

For those that care it's an hour long and you can listen HERE! It's only gonna be up for another week. They also have photos of the trip some of the radio people took on their journey.

86053_fullsize.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This BBC show is pretty interesting. At the beginning he gets let into hot 97.7, and gets to talk to some of the DJs. Then they are talking and playing a Cudi track.

Jay Sosa

Damn that LE$ tape even is traffic jam proofed. Was stuck on my way to work but instead on geting angry I was calmed by the greatness that is "Beautiful Struggle".

That Smoke DZA tape is awesome as well, the production, handled by KRIT and Ski Beatz, is stunning and thankfully he talks about something other than getting blazed (on some tracks).

Playboy Tre just dropped his mixtape "The Last Call"

Thanks, will dl when I'm home. Just praised dude on the last page, loved his first 2 tapes.

Speaking of Minaj, girl really grew on me. Sure the strange voice is annyoing but she can flow and her (ghostwritten?) lyrics are decent, plus she always try to mix it up during her verses. .

But her radio single (My Love, I think) is cheesy and boring expected better from her.

Love her verse on this song, that's what she sounds without the stupid accent/voice:

Gudda Gudda: Always

image001.jpg

Bitch Remix (Featuring 50 Cent & Too Short) - E40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOz-6V3rPk
:lol my favorite song at the moment

Also 50 Cent's Remix of Cee-lo's smash hit "Fuck You"
http://rapradar.com/2010/08/22/new-music-50-cent-fuck-you-remix/

50 confirmed on his Twitter (which is fucking hilarious :lol) that he's doing the official remix with Cee-lo and shooting the video.

Also the "Birthday Sex" gut Jeremih has a new single featuring 50 cent it could be a hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idlCUoWXdiI - "Down on Me" Jeremih Featuring 50 cent

Also a Video of Lloyd Banks Thanking his fans for helping "Beamer Benz or Bentley go gold.
http://rapradar.com/2010/08/29/lloyd-banks-thanks-fans-for-support/

Tokubetsu

Jay Sosa said:
Damn that LE$ tape even is traffic jam proofed. Was stuck on my way to work but instead on geting angry I was calmed by the greatness that is "Beautiful Struggle".

That Smoke DZA tape is awesome as well, the production, handled by KRIT and Ski Beatz, is stunning and thankfully he talks about something other than getting blazed (on some tracks).

Thanks, will dl when I'm home. Just praised dude on the last page, loved his first 2 tapes.

Speaking of Minaj, girl really grew on me. Sure the strange voice is annyoing but she can flow and her (ghostwritten?) lyrics are decent, plus she always try to mix it up during her verses. .

But her radio single (My Love, I think) is cheesy and boring expected better from her.

Love her verse on this song, that's what she sounds without the stupid accent/voice:

Gudda Gudda: Always

The continental kush album? KRIT and ski did it? Oh shiiit. I need to pay more attention then haha.

HiResDes

Tokubetsu said:
The continental kush album? KRIT and ski did it? Oh shiiit. I need to pay more attention then haha.
KRIT has had a hand in producing at least a couple of songs on all of the Smoke DZA albums, since the first Substance Abuse.

Jay Sosa

Tokubetsu said:

Yep production credits:

1.Continental Kush Breakfast feat Den10 (prod. by Kenny Beats)
2.Sour Hour (prod. by Ski Beatz)
3.Etc Etc feat Curren$y & Big K.R.I.T. (prod. by Ski Beatz)
4.Sounds Of The Indo feat Den10 & Teri Walker (prod. by Ski Beatz)
5.Code orange feat Mad Max (prod. by Ski Beatz)
6.The Secret feat Big K.R.I.T. (prod. by SKi Beatz)
7.GoodTalk feat Dom Kennedy (prod. by Big K.R.I.T.)
8.Im Saying (prod. by Big K.R.I.T.)
9.Im your Pusha feat June Summers (prod. by Ski Beatz)
10.My Life (prod. by Steve-O Of GFCnewyork)
11.We On feat. Kent M$ney & Skotch Davis (prod. by Ski Beatz)
12.Lost (prod. by Ski Beatz) 13.Bonus It Aint My Fault feat. Mickey Factz (prod. by G14)

Tbh I thought it was the other way around with KRIT handling most of the production, but anyway it's brilliant either way. Btw on most Krit tracks it says "Kritical Production" right at the beginning.

I guess I could also ask Slizz or dskillzhtown directly(since I think no one outside Houston/southern USA has even heard of dude), but has anyone listened to the J-Dawg album "Behind Tint 2" yet? I don't know why but I like the guy and been thinking bout buying this but I want some feedback first..

All on u
Salute you
Hoggz nite out

Love the strange basic flow and the raspy voice, sounds like the perfect album for the car.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jay Sosa said:
I guess I could also ask Slizz or dskillzhtown directly(since I think no one outside Houston/southern USA has even heard of dude), but has anyone listened to the J-Dawg album "Behind Tint 2" yet? I don't know why but I like the guy and been thinking bout buying this but I want some feedback first..

All on u
Salute you
Hoggz nite out

Love the strange basic flow and the raspy voice, sounds like the perfect album for the car.

I am surprised you didn't post the single, "First 48 w/ Slim Thug". That is the jam in H-Town right now. I have the album, I like it, but in a summer that I got introduced to Big KRIT and Bun B's CD came out, it just doesn't stand out. I think the issue is that there are 18 tracks when there should be like 13. About 5 tracks could have been left in the studio. Also, it just doesn't have that polished sound. With all that said, "First 48" has been in my daily rotation for awhile.

IIRC, it originally came out as a free mixtape to get buzz and now he is trying to sell it. But if you have a system in your car, pick it up. It is perfect for riding. Damn, I miss my system.

I am picking up Slim Thug today on the strength of "Gangstas /feat. Z-Ro"

Tokubetsu said:
When is Karata Skool dropping? Pilot Talk was awesome.

Yea some amazingly chill production.

would love to hear Ski hook up with some better rappers. I really like Pilot Talk but Currency is not the greatest rapper lol. Maybe Ghostface or MF DOOM :eek:

Threi

notag
That Singer Guy... said:
Justin Bieber does not need to be taken out of that song...he actually makes it more complete.
Agreed. It was definitely better than what i was expecting. Has a nice old school vibe to it.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:

would love to hear Ski hook up with some better rappers. I really like Pilot Talk but Currency is not the greatest rapper lol. Maybe Ghostface or MF DOOM :eek:

Hopefully Karate Skool goes well. I know a few of the tracks ended up on Pilot Talk and im sure there are others on other albums too.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:

Spitta has a great flow. But yeah that one song with Jay Electronica is so fire...He should do an album with him.

HiResDes

Man it's like I have different ears, I hate both of the new Kanye songs. I'm still highly anticipating his album, but fuck these throwaway leaks or whatever the fuck they are.

HiResDes said:
Man it's like I have different ears, I hate both of the new Kanye songs. I'm still highly anticipating his album, but fuck these throwaway leaks or whatever the fuck they are.

I must have the same ears cause I haven't been impressed with anything since Power to say the least.

LOZLINK

HiResDes said:
I agree. I think it was lame as hell to use that sample at all.
I personally thought it was going great til Bieber came in. I like Kanye's verse as well, it's an entire tribute to the wu

Jay Sosa

Great my reply got deleted... stupid pc

Short version: Currensy and DZA over Ski Beatz=awesome. Ghostface's whiny voice or put me to sleep Doom? I don't know. Stick to what sounds good.

Skuffl tape=brilliant, great beats nice mixture of (good not eurotrashy) electronica and hip hop.

next week.

not soon enough. Is it gonna be retail or another mixtape?

Slizz

Just got back from class smoked a bowl and found this:

Big-Sean-finally-famou.jpg

ffv3-bk-final.jpg

DOWNLOAD

EDIT: After paying attention to tracklist seems like I already had a bulk of this. Oh well, now it's consolidated with new shit as well.

EDIT2: Shit isssss FRESH. Cannon tags tho, but whatever that shit doesn't bother me.

Net_Wrecker said:
I must have the same ears cause I haven't been impressed with anything since Power to say the least.

Not even the All of the Lights/Ghetto University snippet? That's the only thing that's going to be in his album that I'm ultra hyped for so far. Power is bad ass, though.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:

Seriously, wtf was kanye thinking? Lets take "wu tang ain't nothin to fuck wit" add an amateur sounding piano loop in the hook and have bieber "sing" a useless and irritating hook that isn't catchy or fits with the beat at all. Fuck this track, fuck bieber, fuck kanye and fuck rae for participating.

HiResDes

^I concur.

@Slizz downloading Big Sean right now...I really do think the Fashawn tape is worth downloading besides the shitty Ron Artest track he really sounds a lot like Gibbs.

Additonally these new tapes are worth checking out too:

Front-Cover-Logos.jpg

Back-Cover.jpg

CLICK DL LINK

(^This thing is really fucking solid, it's a free album, not really a mixtape)

sparksfront.jpg

DL LINK

...K. Sparks is super underrated.

Edit: If you're only going to listen to one thing that I've posted in the past week or so, let it be the Wreckonize album/tape.

HiResDes

So far here are my thoughts on the Big Sean tape:

Overall - 8/10 (not quite an average)
Production - 9/10
Big Sean - 6/10

...Is his flow the same on every song, man I just noticed this...He sounds lazy as fuck half the time.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Had no expectations, but the Fashawn tape is freaking GOOD.

Cut w/ Lil Wayne bangs.

edit: okay, skip 5 on My Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom