• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

DpQln.jpg

The current jam. "I'm the man in all black with the hashashin" Yeaaaa just zone. DJ Muggs kills it on production.

The M.O.B

Anyone heard WillIam's latest song? He gets with nicki minaj on this.....

Check it Out

There was a time (5 or so years ago) that I would listen to all of WillIam's songs.........not so much anymore.

Oh, and who wants to bet this song will be violating our eardrums for the next few months?

HiResDes

rollingpapers.jpg

DL LINK

...You already know this is on some Curren$y/L.E.$ type of shit. Definitely download, but don't listen to it unless you are in the right state. If I made a top five albums to listen to while high, this might beat out Auto-Pilot and The Beautiful Struggle. :lol

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
rollingpapers.jpg

DL LINK

...You already know this is on some Curren$y/L.E.$ type of shit. Definitely download, but don't listen to it unless you are in the right state. If I made a top five albums to listen to while high, this might beat out Auto-Pilot and The Beautiful Struggle. :lol

I like Tyler The Creator.

"This isn't rape, this is sex without a condom on."

Kimosabae

Banned
I like Fashawn and think he makes good music. Don't really see why everyone seems to be so highly appreciative of him, though.

*edit*

Only work I find particularly clever is 'Ode to Illmatic', which is highly ironic, but justified.

I'm not a fan of Curren$y. All his songs are like "i'm chill and i smoke weed!" I guess that's cool if you smoke weed and shit but there not much more than that. Kinda boring. I was expecting a lot more after all this hype on gaf.

spermatic cord said:
I'm not a fan of Curren$y. All his songs are like "i'm chill and i smoke weed!" I guess that's cool if you smoke weed and shit but there not much more than that. Kinda boring. I was expecting a lot more after all this hype on gaf.

He's not some great rapper, but the production on Pilot Talk is great and he doesn't fuck it up. He kinda just exists on the tracks, a few great lines, some weird delivery, but overall it just works. Kinda hard to explain.

I'm usually more into lyrical shit but I can't front on Pilot Talk. It's one of the best hip hop albums of the year imo

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:
I like Fashawn and think he makes good music. Don't really see why everyone seems to be so highly appreciative of him, though.

*edit*

Only work I find particularly clever is 'Ode to Illmatic', which is highly ironic, but justified.
Does not compute. No one is saying he's the greatest, and it's not like he's super hyped, but he seems to be fairly consistent.

And as for guys like Curren$y and Domo Genesis, they make for great background noise when you are just chilling...Not every dude has to be on some crazy lyrical shit to be listenable IMO, it would get old quick.

Calantus said:
I'll save the songs for when i get the album, i listen to too much kid cudi to listen to new songs in this quality.

Yeah... not feeling Ghost. He didn't go along to the beat at all. It sounded so disjointed and sloppy, but then again I had the same feeling for the acapella recording to Mr. Rager a few months back and after hearing the CDQ version, it's going to be one of my favorites in the album.

The other track on the other hand, isn't too bad. Probably would be more dope on the CDQ version. I need that CD. If I have to destroy Mr Solo Dolo just for that tape I surely will. :D

Kimosabae

Banned
HiResDes said:
Does not compute. No one is saying he's the greatest, and it's not like he's super hyped, but he seems to be fairly consistent.

And as for guys like Curren$y and Domo Genesis, they make for great background noise when you are just chilling...Not every dude has to be on some crazy lyrical shit to be listenable IMO, it would get old quick.

Could be I'm just misreading people. Maybe I'm also just being a bit of a gadfly (or, 'troll' as internet peeps 'wanna call it) since it's obvious there's no conundrum in my statement. But I have to disagree somewhat with the bolded. To me, it should be the other way around. I evaluate music the same way I would evaluate any other good - by its value. Not just its value as pure art - but as a good with lasting utility, with aims and means to combat obsolescence.

Lyricism attracts me just as much as vanguard content. Ideal hip hop, for me, is both, working in harmony. Fashawn makes a lot disposable stuff, IMO. 'Ode to Illmatic' is anything but, because its foundation lies upon a symbol that reflects upon itself and rap fans and will continue to do so for a very long time in hip hop culture (hip hop at least). On top of this, it's something I haven't seen done before.

IMO, any song I can get tired of is ultimately not very good. This is why the Def Jux movement means so much to me (particularly Ace, El-P and Cannibal Ox). There's Ace songs that I've listened to on a regular basis for years, at least a few times a day, and they have renewed significance as time passes largely due to the clever and indirect expression of abstract ideas.

This is very similar to how an obscure painting can hold significance to its owner for innumerable years.

I've stated this before - I marvel at how some of you can consume so many different artists' music, daily. You either have an incomprehensible appreciation for hip hop, or are truly scatter-brained - it can't all speak to you on the same level. Hence, most of it must be disposable. Most of hip hop, to me, is just that. Fashawn qualifies, hence my statement about him.

Don't want to come across as a pretentious jerk, but I'd really like to see this thread become more than just a sprinkling of links and album cover GIFs. Surely talk about the genre is worth more than that.

Slizz

Kimosabae said:
Could be I'm just misreading people. Maybe I'm also just being a bit of a gadfly (or, 'troll' as internet peeps 'wanna call it) since it's obvious there's no conundrum in my statement. But I have to disagree somewhat with the bolded. To me, it should be the other way around. I evaluate music the same way I would evaluate any other good - by its value. Not just its value as pure art - but as a good with lasting utility, with aims and means to combat obsolescence.

Lyricism attracts me just as much as vanguard content. Ideal hip hop, for me, is both, working in harmony. Fashawn makes a lot disposable stuff, IMO. 'Ode to Illmatic' is anything but, because its foundation lies upon a symbol that reflects upon itself and rap fans and will continue to do so for a very long time in hip hop culture (hip hop at least). On top of this, it's something I haven't seen done before.

IMO, any song I can get tired of is ultimately not very good. This is why the Def Jux movement means so much to me (particularly Ace, El-P and Cannibal Ox). There's Ace songs that I've listened to on a regular basis for years, at least a few times a day, and they have renewed significance as time passes largely due to the clever and indirect expression of abstract ideas.

This is very similar to how an obscure painting can hold significance to its owner for innumerable years.

I've stated this before - I marvel at how some of you can consume so many different artists' music, daily. You either have an incomprehensible appreciation for hip hop, or are truly scatter-brained - it can't all speak to you on the same level. Hence, most of it must be disposable. Most of hip hop, to me, is just that. Fashawn qualifies, hence my statement about him.

Don't want to come across as a pretentious jerk, but I'd really like to see this thread become more than just a sprinkling of links and album cover GIFs. Surely talk about the genre is worth more than that.

You didn't pay for Fashawns mixtape....I at least listen to so much cause there is so much out there and alot of its free. Each artist does something different so it's a new experience every time a lot of the time. Just the other day I uploaded a mixtape to my phone I listened to and loved in 2007 and it still bangs, not great lyrics or anything special it just rides.

Kimosabae

Banned
Slizz said:
You didn't pay for Fashawns mixtape....I at least listen to so much cause there is so much out there and alot of its free. Each artist does something different so it's a new experience every time a lot of the time. Just the other day I uploaded a mixtape to my phone I listened to and loved in 2007 and it still bangs, not great lyrics or anything special it just rides.

If you mean to suggest that Fashawn's mixtape being free justifies disposability, I remain unconvinced. My position is not predicated solely on Fashawn.

This mixtape you speak of... you imply you took a 3 year break from it. Why'd you get tired of listening to it in the first place?

You also imply that it's ultimately nothing special to you. So what's its value? The fact that it "rides" after a 3 year hiatus?

(._.)

Banned
Been exclusively listening to Cam'ron's Crime Pays album and Juelz's from me to u for the last couple days. Good stuff.

HiResDes

Kimosabae said:

I listen to a lot of new shit, not just hip-hop on a near daily basis...My dealings with music are pretty much identical to my relationships with people. Many times I grow tiresome of people over the years, it's sad but it's true. I like meeting new people, just as I love discovering new music. It's part of the adventure for me. It sounds horrible, but I have certain friends that I chill with only during certain occasions. Just like I listen to certain artists only when I'm in certain moods. I love rappers like Qwel, Common, Killah Priest, etc...But when I'm drinking and smoking with my dudes and there are a bunch of females over I'm not always trying to hear that shit. If I constantly operated on an introspective reality, I'd probably never have much fun. I have almost 20,000 songs on my Itunes all handpicked and somewhat meticulously selected. It's not that I don't value certain albums over others, but at the same time I realize that music is both a form of art and entertainment. Sometimes crude drawings of dicks are more fun to look at than impressionist paintings by Monet.

...I think Boy Meets World is a great album because it works on both levels. The title track is highly introspective.

- Hey Kimo though if you are looking for something extremely solid on all levels, I'd definitely check out that Wreckonize album/tape I posted on that last page. I really think you'll like it. I love it.

I tend to listen to 3-5 albums at the same time, not from the same genre. Right now I'm listening to lots of MF DOOM (after coming off a long hiatus), Joanna Newsom, Teen Dream, and Currency.

Listening to/consuming lots of music at the same time is not exclusive to hip hop; does that make other genres "disposable" as well? A good deal of music in general is disposable, I just rarely see people talking about disposable hip hop here.

On lyrics: For me, lyricism is the most important aspect of hip hop. That doesn't mean everything I listen to is on the highest lyrical peak. I listen to a decent amount of prog rock too, that doesn't mean I can't listen to less "complex" rock as well.

Great lyricism alone doesn't make a great album. You can have great lyrics, weak beats and poor delivery - making a pretty average album. Currency is an average lyricist with average delivery. Pilot Talk has some great, chill production. Somehow these aspects come together to make a pretty good album. Whereas Talib Kweli has released more than a few average to bad albums with great lyrics, weak beats, and his usual off-beat delivery.

Slizz

Kimosabae said:
If you mean to suggest that Fashawn's mixtape being free justifies disposability, I remain unconvinced. My position is not predicated solely on Fashawn.

This mixtape you speak of... you imply you took a 3 year break from it. Why'd you get tired of listening to it in the first place?

You also imply that it's ultimately nothing special to you. So what's its value? The fact that it "rides" after a 3 year hiatus?

I didn't imply nothing was special to me.

The mixtape I speak of, got erased from new computer to new computer transfer, or a new OS. The music I have on the comp I use now is all from halfway thru 2009 and this year only with a few exceptions. The fact that I went out of my way to try and DL this mixtape from 3 years ago shows how much I liked it.

I'm saying is your discounting something you got for free for having a few throwaway tracks. I'm sorry but no matter what someone puts out for free it's gonna be hard not to throwaway at least 1, probably more. Listen to Bun B's newest retail album "Trill OG". I love it, and it will have staying power.

Tokubetsu

So I did another mixtape for HalfChannnel and this time it's all rap. Just a little mix (48ish minutes) with some skitesque sample breaks. If you follow this thread closely (and most of the shit I hype up/post) then you've probably heard some if not most of these tracks already but if you still want to listen and let me know if you like it I'd appreciate it.

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
So I did another mixtape for HalfChannnel and this time it's all rap. Just a little mix (48ish minutes) with some skitesque sample breaks. If you follow this thread closely (and most of the shit I hype up/post) then you've probably heard some if not most of these tracks already but if you still want to listen and let me know if you like it I'd appreciate it.
Cant unpack it..gives me a CRC error.

Jay Sosa

Btw: Who is your favorite artist/band outside of Hip Hop NOT including RnB/Soul?

Mine is John Mayer. I barely listen to something else besides Hip Hop and Soul (well some Classic, Electronica and Jazz) so I've been wondering if you guys are any different.

I do like some rock stuff here and there (like Coldplay, Oasis, Nirvana, Megadeth, Ting Tings and stuff like that) and often end up buying their records but somehow I have a hard time listening to that stuff more than once or twice (while I think I listen to Illmatic every other month and that since more than 10 years). Only John Mayer is the exception, love all this albums (yes even the last one) and listen to them frequently.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jay Sosa said:
Btw: Who is your favorite artist/band outside of Hip Hop NOT including RnB/Soul?

Mine is John Mayer. I barely listen to something else besides Hip Hop and Soul (well some Classic, Electronica and Jazz) so I've been wondering if you guys are any different.

I do like some rock stuff here and there (like Coldplay, Oasis, Nirvana, Megadeth, Ting Tings and stuff like that) and often end up buying their records but somehow I have a hard time listening to that stuff more than once or twice (while I think I listen to Illmatic every other month and that since more than 10 years). Only John Mayer is the exception, love all this albums (yes even the last one) and listen to them frequently.

Counting Crows. I have half of their songs memorized. Listening to August and Everything After and This Desert Life bring back those memories I can get lost in for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIUAWqLFU9o&feature=related

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Jay Sosa said:

Joni Mitchell is the god damn truth. She is the greatest song writer in the history of music.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
siddx said:
Joni Mitchell is the god damn truth. She is the greatest song writer in the history of music.

We have a little something awesome going on here.

Mitchell was a huge influence on Duritz, and Duritz was a huge influence on Mayer. :lol

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:

It's kinda hard to pick a favorite artist when your shit looks like this:

2zehsvr.jpg

Jay Sosa said:
Linkin Park, Paramore (I love Hayley Williams.), KISS, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Motorhead, Daft Punk. Getting into Ratatat more and MGMT due to Cudi's influence. :D

Jay Sosa

HiResDes said:
It's kinda hard to pick a favorite artist when your shit looks like this:

Wow, that are a lot of subgenres (The fuck is Anarcho Punk :lol ) . I have my music split up in Hip Hop (Foreign/Southern/East/West/Conscious) Rock/Pop, Electronic and RnB/Soul.

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
Wow, that are a lot of subgenres (The fuck is Anarcho Punk :lol ) . I have my music split up in Hip Hop (Foreign/Southern/East/West/Conscious) Rock/Pop, Electronic and RnB/Soul.
Anarcho-Punk = Stuff like the Sex Pistols, Crass, Subhumans, etc. Dude I think for over 19,000 songs having under 50 genres is pretty good.

Edit: Actually, I only had five artists in that subgenre, so I combined it with my regular punk one. Thanks :D

siddx

WanderingWind said:
We have a little something awesome going on here.

Mitchell was a huge influence on Duritz, and Duritz was a huge influence on Mayer. :lol

Basically what this means is that those of us who love hip hop have the best taste in all music period and should be treated like gods among men.

MMaRsu

siddx said:
Basically what this means is that those of us who love hip hop have the best taste in all music period and should be treated like gods among men.

I think this is pretty obvious

siddx

The M.O.B said:

am I really the only one who isn't all that impressed by XV? I mean he's alright, and his songs are on my playlist, but he doesn't stand out next to someone like say J cole, the illz, skuf'l, or even other guys I consider average like Laws and Wiz Khalifa. Well Wiz isn't really average, just absurdly inconsistent.

edit: I mean I can understand why some people might really really like him, but I'm curious if I am the only one is only kind of "eh" about him.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
am I really the only one who isn't all that impressed by XV? I mean he's alright, and his songs are on my playlist, but he doesn't stand out next to someone like say J cole, the illz, skuf'l, or even other guys I consider average like Laws and Wiz Khalifa. Well Wiz isn't really average, just absurdly inconsistent.
Don't disagree, but I really really like his taste in beats

siddx

peterb0y said:
Don't disagree, but I really really like his taste in beats

True, I can see that. There's another hiphop gaf darling that I don't enjoy at all, but that one would make some people's heads pop right the fuck off if I said whom it was.

HiResDes

siddx said:

edit: I mean I can understand why some people might really really like him, but I'm curious if I am the only one is only kind of "eh" about him.
Everybody's Nobody was amazing, everything else meh...I'm more excited about other upcoming shit from the likes of Big KRIT and Quest.

Edit: Air it out, I won't surprised by it all...My guess is it it's Big KRIT, whom I personally love.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
True, I can see that. There's another hiphop gaf darling that I don't enjoy at all, but that one would make some people's heads pop right the fuck off if I said whom it was.
Say it- I'll go ahead and say mine right now: Big KRIT

yeah. I said it.

^edit: shit just saw the above :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom