• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SoulPlaya said:
Wow. . . . . . . .

Awards and money, don't forget who has while he is whining about the quality of his life, from Hawaii

Blackace

Gamer98 said:
What bro? Ye did not spit an extra verse on the remix? Who knows? But, tbh Busta did go harder then both Ye and Jay on the track even tho its a remix so Blackface is right for that.

Call me blackface again and Ye's awards won't help you

Blackace

SoulPlaya said:
Apparently, talent=money, so more money should equal more talent, right?

Birdman has more money than Ye, and so does 50

Gamer98

Banned
All I said was talented people have money. Said nothing about the more money you have the more talented you actually are. You can say 50 and Birdman are more talented then Ye at making money though.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
HiResDes said:
I personally like the contemplative religious themes of the album, shown especially on Hell of a Life and Devil in a New Dress...Kanye's a walking contradiction, a confused, indecisive, and often misunderstood dude but his music combines all of these weaknesses into something greater. BTW, I'm not angry, I just think this is a good discussion and I'm always game for those.
oh wow i was just listening to hell of a life. also its been a while since gaf-hop had a good *artist* vs every other artist debate, good stuff.

Blackace said:
Birdman has more money than Ye, and so does 50
but but but... 50 is good, but also incredibly lazy.

m3k

lol should post the kanye mos def freestyles

kanye is was more successful than def... its an argument that will break. every. single. time.

kanye is getting better but hes just a good rapper and a great producer. em is tired, everyone prefers his older stuff but using the argument against busta you could compare ems success to kanyes

its a no contest

HiResDes

Why would you break up a decent Kanye West discussion with a post about the Korean rap movement? Just curious as to what your thought process was...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
I like Lil Wayne. I just don't like 6'7'. I actually think his mixtapes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any of his albums. Da Drought 3 is easily his best work on the mic.
I agree with you here. Drought 3 was the shit. Odd cause 6'7' is pretty much mixtape Wayne on an uptempo beat.

& Whoa GAF-Hop standing up for Kanye West? This is a change! Sure to be short-lived though.

His lyrics aren't even close to the hyperbolic "terrible" quality you speak of. Kanye went into overdrive in 2010. Not only are his albums chock full of relatable concepts and ideas (you know, outside of the bullshit raps people try to single out against him, like Kanye's the only rapper of the sort to delve in bullshit raps from time to time.. right), but even the bullshit raps are pretty good. I think people are still on that "oh he's just a producer-rapper" tip. He's not as technically skilled, but that's not the intent. Like I said before, he puts the goddamn music first before trying to be the next Rakim.

Busta murders most MCs including Ye.. and did body H.A.M. like no one else. But that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy the content and delivery of Ye's raps more than all of Busta's. Kanye's on my top 10 MCs to listen to, not because of his ability to twist words into tornadoes of lyricism, but the content of his shit. In fact, today I had Never Let Me Down and Family Business on repeat for a good 20 minutes.

Oh and Awards don't mean shit in a subjective kind of topic like music. Don't bring reviews in here either cause music reviews don't mean jack shit.

Detox said:
@ HiRes The lyrics don't really go on that but combined with the way he acts and the fact he's a rich motherfucker. It sounds like he's saying shits fucked up and I should feel sorry and him and this is why:

Cause they love you then they hate you then they love you again
Get away from me misery
Get away from me lonliness
Get away from me fake bitches, I can?t take the phoniness

I can't accept shit like this from Kanye. Same reason why Em can't be talking about being broke or his fucked up life in a trailer park anymore.

Note: I have no idea when this song was actually made. I don't really care for Kanye but the way guys go on him it's like he's the greatest writer since Shakespeare.
Because rich people can't have problems, right? Did you miss the 2009 Kanye West exodus?

Blackace

enzo_gt said:
I agree with you here. Drought 3 was the shit. Odd cause 6'7' is pretty much mixtape Wayne on an uptempo beat.

& Whoa GAF-Hop standing up for Kanye West? This is a change! Sure to be short-lived though.

His lyrics aren't even close to the hyperbolic "terrible" quality you speak of. Kanye went into overdrive in 2010. Not only are his albums chock full of relatable concepts and ideas (you know, outside of the bullshit raps people try to single out against him, like Kanye's the only rapper of the sort to delve in bullshit raps from time to time.. right), but even the bullshit raps are pretty good. I think people are still on that "oh he's just a producer-rapper" tip. He's not as technically skilled, but that's not the intent. Like I said before, he puts the goddamn music first before trying to be the next Rakim.

Busta murders most MCs including Ye.. and did body H.A.M. like no one else. But that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy the content and delivery of Ye's raps more than all of Busta's. Kanye's on my top 10 MCs to listen to, not because of his ability to twist words into tornadoes of lyricism, but the content of his shit. In fact, today I had Never Let Me Down and Family Business on repeat for a good 20 minutes.

Oh and Awards don't mean shit in a subjective kind of topic like music. Don't bring reviews in here either cause music reviews don't mean jack shit.

Because rich people can't have problems, right? Did you miss the 2009 Kanye West exodus?

Yo you feel what says that's cool. But trying to pan him as a better rapper than most is a laughable... I don't try to pretend like my favorite rapper is better than a lot of the top dogs just because I connect with him the best. Ye isn't Dre bad but he isn't that clever nor is he that skilled at delivery.. He is very talented producer who is a very capable rapper which makes him special..

SoulPlaya

more money than God
HiResDes said:
Okay, let's just say this Kanye isn't an amazing rapper by any means...But he's a more than capable musician.
I think Quincey Jones would disagree with you, lol.

Does Kanye play any instruments?

Blackace

HiResDes said:
Okay, let's just say this Kanye isn't an amazing rapper by any means...But he's a more than capable musician.

That's pretty much how I view him. He is great great producer. Not the best, but top tier.. And doesn't make A song bad like Jazze Pha..

He is talented and in a class of producing and rapping together few can say..

Talent levels (not market power) off the top of my head I would say the only person who can claim to be a good and producer at the same time is Quik

Blackace

SoulPlaya said:

Rap is form of music and saying rapper or a producer isn't a musician is viewpoint you would expect to hear in sleazy bar near a trailer park not in GAF-hop

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blackace said:
Yo you feel what says that's cool. But trying to pan him as a better rapper than most is a laughable... I don't try to pretend like my favorite rapper is better than a lot of the top dogs just because I connect with him the best. Ye isn't Dre bad but he isn't that clever nor is he that skilled at delivery.. He is very talented producer who is a very capable rapper which makes him special..
This distinction needs to be made then. Kanye isn't the best rapper, let's agree on that, not even the most hardcore Kanye stan can attest to that. But immediate comparisons to GREAT rappers don't make him TERRIBLE by default. That's what I have a problem with. He is a pretty good rapper, with skills that allow him to embrace all the other elements of a song to make great music, more than just rhymes and wordplay, because those are just facets of it.

I would say there is a very, very long list of rappers better than Ye, but there a larger list of those worse and unable to do what he does with his words. And part of that, yes is the exposure and platform he has to go about doing such, which he does gratuitously. Not being the best, does not make him terrible. That insubstantial nonsense has to go.

SoulPlaya said:

Hell I didn't know playing as many instruments as you can made you a better musician outright. Certainly helps though (Blaze being of note). I wonder how many instruments Primo plays? If it's less than 3 I demand we take him off of every list of good producers ever by your decree.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Blackace said:
Rap is form of music and saying rapper or a producer isn't a musician is viewpoint you would expect to hear in sleazy bar near a trailer park not in GAF-hop
Well, let me ask, if Kanye is a great producer, what does that make someone like Quincy Jones, who plays so many instruments?

kehs

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
Well, let me ask, if Kanye is a great producer, what does that make someone like Quincy Jones, who plays so many instruments?

A great producer who plays many instruments?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SoulPlaya said:
This is actually the straight up BS I'm talking about.

Kanye is a great producer.
Quincy Jones is a legendary producer.

Note how when you say things are relative, they are not black and white, and good and bad unless you are narrow minded.

Oh and the amount of instruments you play is an arbitrary number that does not correlate with your excellence.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Before this gets out of hand, let me explain myself. I love hip-hop. It's arguably my favorite genre of music, and it's had a huge influence on my youth. With that said, however, I do have a hard time placing rappers and other musicians in the same category. I do that out of a sense of obligation to other musicians. I just feel like it's a lot harder to learn to play an instrument or sing well, than to just rap well.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
enzo_gt said:
This is actually the straight up BS I'm talking about.

Kanye is a great producer.
Quincy Jones is a legendary producer.

Note how when you say things are relative, they are not black and white, and good and bad unless you are narrow minded.

Oh and the amount of instruments you play is an arbitrary number that does not correlate with your excellence.
I'm guessing you guys don't know what I'm referencing. I'm just wondering if you guys read this interview with Quincy, when someone compared Kanye to him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/24/quincy-jones-kanye-west

Blackace

SoulPlaya said:
Well, let me ask, if Kanye is a great producer, what does that make someone like Quincey Jones, who plays so many instruments?

Jones helped create one of the greatest albums in the history of mankind, ever. And he graduated from my high school in Seattle..

How to you compare Jones to Ye anyways? They aren't even in the same line of music.

I lost a little respect for QJ when he remade PYT after MJ died.... With T-Pain and Robin Thicket..

kamspy

SoulPlaya said:
Before this gets out of hand, let me explain myself. I love hip-hop. It's arguably my favorite genre of music, and it's had a huge influence on my youth. With that said, however, I do have a hard time placing rappers and other musicians in the same category. I do that out of a sense of obligation to other musicians. I just feel like it's a lot harder to learn to play an instrument or sing well, than to just rap well.

GTFO

Blackace

SoulPlaya said:

That's a damn shame..

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Blackace said:
That's a damn shame..
It's just out of respect to a few friends of mine. One has been learning to play the guitar for years and years, and he's just now getting ready to put out some music.

To me, it's easier to be a great rapper (notice I said nothing about producing) than a great guitar or drum player (as common examples).

It's not that being a rapper is easy, just relatively easier.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Blackace said:
And? QJ flipped out about it... You can't compare the two is correct.

They have nothing relatable to compare..
I thought he was dismissing Kanye, because Kanye didn't have Quincy's musical skills. It seemed like QJ didn't feel like Kanye should be placed on his level.

Tokubetsu

I agree with separating each genre and judging them different (I'm a big metal head and electronic fan myself) but I think, just because one is different from the other, doesn't mean one is necessarily easier. They both require talent and hundreds of hours to be great at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom