• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

IrishNinja said:
forgot a few:

wait, Tech is doing shit this year? i thought you guys said he dropped out of rapping for activism or something.
Yeah, he's got the middle passage up for this year. It was supposed to come out last year but they couldn't clear samples and Tech wanted the album to be as legit as possible. Primo is confirmed to be working with him on a track I don't know if it'll go through but on his twitter he did say to look out for a Tech joint.

I agree with Soulplaya on the mainstream and lyricism thing but who doesn't? Personally I was too young for some classics and now go through them which keeps me away from the Lil b's and Wiz's of the world.

EDIT: @Irish my bad wording but it was Primo's twitter I don't know if tech got one.

IrishNinja

damn, didnt even know tech had a twitter, much less to expect anything from him this year - with primo no less! another awesome year for hip-hop.

Divius

So I only just now discovered this version of one of my favorite albums of '11.. It's amazing, I can't decide which I like more..switching between the two really messes with my mind tho.

http://i.imgur.com/0xJmv.jpg[./IMG]
Can I even post this cover cuz of teh nipple, of should I remove it?

Another question: What Mos Def albums should I check out? I love The Ecstatic.

IrishNinja

MosDefBlackonBothSides.jpg

Black on Both Sides, pretty much is Illmatic/best he's gonna put out

MosDef%26TalibKweliBlackStar.jpg

some of his Urban Thermodynamics stuff was great too, there's a 4 disc collection of that stuff plus a ton of his b-sides called we are hip: you, me, everybody or something like that, its hit or miss but has some solid material on it if you're interested. for his solo stuff...i only kept a few tracks off of new danger and true magic, so that's your call.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Wiz is softer than a man purse filled with kitten titties.

Thats all I have to contribute to this thread right now

Well that and if you like jazzy hip hop you should DL this, production is out of this world
Green Street - Don't Look Down
front.jpg

Apologies if Hires beat me to it.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
MickD said:
Whoa man, nudity is ban-able iirc, edit that ish bro.

That cover has been posted in here a few times already actually. Either blackace doesn't mind or he didn't see it. But yeah, i'd edit it just in case another mod wanders in.

HiResDes

That's art nipple dude, there's a huge difference man. If it were like Gianna's tits it'd be different, but that's the type of titty you might see in a da Vinci painting or some shit.

Kimosabae

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Yeah...Nah. Hes rated about where he needs to be, sometimes overrated. Kanye is an above-average lyricist on his best days.

What are you arguing here? This post is kinda nonsensical. If you're suggesting the controversy surrounding his ethereal placement is "where he needs to be", you're saying... something... I guess?

Don't know why I even made that post. These discussions are so idiotic. I thought I at least made an attempt to quantify what makes Kanye a respectable lyricist and it's met with vagueness.

Pinko Marx said:
Am I the only one that REALLY like The New Danger in here? Its an acquired taste and all but it has some amazing fucking songs.
Naw, you're not the only one. I'm right there with ya.

The thing about that album is, it's not hip hop. That's what really rubs everyone the wrong way. Mos Def, one of the best rappers who has ever touched a mic, followed up one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time with . . . something that's not hip hop. If Mos had released just one album between Black on Both Sides and The New Danger that was hip hop like BoBS was, then people probably wouldn't have hated on The New Danger so much. It's not like we don't expect that kind of thing from Mos, but having his second album go so far into it just wasn't the best move. People were disappointed because they weren't expecting it, so they write off.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Pinko Marx said:
Am I the only one that REALLY like The New Danger in here? Its an acquired taste and all but it has some amazing fucking songs.
Just realized that I've never listened to it.

I'll download it from Rhapsody.

Kimosabae said:
What are you arguing here? This post is kinda nonsensical. If you're suggesting the controversy surrounding his ethereal placement is "where he needs to be", you're saying... something... I guess?

Don't know why I even made that post. These discussions are so idiotic. I thought I at least made an attempt to quantify what makes Kanye a respectable lyricist and it's met with vagueness.

My point: Kanye isn't an underrated lyricist. He's just an ok one, and is more than ok when he is really on point. I don't feel like writing a thesis on why I feel this way.

K.Jack said:
Just realized that I've never listened to it.

I'll download it from Rhapsody.

Go into with an open mind. Also make sure you listen to the ENTIRETY of Modern Marvel. Its worth it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
mjfor40 said:
Is anyone else (un)patiently waiting for the new DJ Quik?

I am more hyped for Curren$y. I have a bad feeling about older guys coming back after a break. Maybe Detox is influencing my thoughts.

Slizz

Covert Coup and then Muscle Car Chronicles coming up, amazing Curren$y puts out so much quality music. It's great and seems like the rest of the JETS are following his footsteps.

Slizz said:
Covert Coup and then Muscle Car Chronicles coming up, amazing Curren$y puts out so much quality music. It's great and seems like the rest of the JETS are following his footsteps.

Curren$y put out some new tapes?

Tokubetsu

So Freddie Gibbs officially signed to some Young Jeezy vanity label. Fucking weird move. He could have probably done way better.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Tokubetsu said:
So Freddie Gibbs officially signed to some Young Jeezy vanity label. Fucking weird move. He could have probably done way better.

I saw the Youtube clip of the announcement. Freddie doesn't strike me a dumb dude, so I am assuming Jeezy has some good things in store. Maybe during this 103 delay (cancellation), Jeezy has been making some moves behind the scenes to secure a future for his roster.

Tokubetsu

dskillzhtown said:
I saw the Youtube clip of the announcement. Freddie doesn't strike me a dumb dude, so I am assuming Jeezy has some good things in store. Maybe during this 103 delay (cancellation), Jeezy has been making some moves behind the scenes to secure a future for his roster.

Yeah, thats why this is surprising. He was all about getting that independent money and fuck major labels. Must be some nice insurance involved.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Was Gibbs touring a lot? He didn't put out a lot of material, dunno if he was rolling in independent cash or anything

Pretty sure he's was on the road for most of last year, especially after his EP dropped. He also did a bit his year and was at SXSW.

Jay Sosa

From 2dope:

Kendrick Lamar’s 3rd Solo Album…… is going to be called Section.80, and its first single will drop tomorrow. You may now get excited.

Can't fucking wait.

Btw. Listened to the C&S of OD a lot lately and find it kinda funny that their (OG Ron C's crew) motto is chopped not slopped, not only does he (DJ Candlestick) fuck up the chopping quite a lot he also "freestyles" like some 5 year old and randomly says gizzle every other song..

I wish someone else like Watts would make a OD remix like he did with krit wuz here.

EDIT: 90% produced by J.Cole? not sure if I really want that..I always like when an album just has one producer (or at least one direction not this let's get one party track... and then we need some deep shit with some piano on it!!..)

Oh speaking of pianos I listened to some Thug Lordz track today (had the system on shuffle) and was surprised how good it was...

21 Gun Salute Yuk can be pretty nice when he puts some effort into it.

kamspy

West Coast stuff generally doesn't get the screw treatment. If you want 5000 Watts to do it, you better have a good ass album or a pile of cash. I don't know that Kendrick has either.

PhoenixDark said:
Was Gibbs touring a lot? He didn't put out a lot of material, dunno if he was rolling in independent cash or anything

Let's assume he did really well for himself and made $200k in the last 12 months. You gotta figure he spent over half of it, and when it came in, it came in little $30k installments. A label rep with the keys to Range Rover and $250k check can do a lot of things.

kamspy said:
Let's assume he did really well for himself and made $200k in the last 12 months. You gotta figure he spent over half of it, and when it came in, it came in little $30k installments. A label rep with the keys to Range Rover and $250k check can do a lot of things.

True, true. Given Jeezy has fallen off the map into irrelevant land I wonder if Gibbs has joined a sinking ship. Regardless though he doesn't strike me as a guy who's gonna make big mainstream singles. But I could definitely see him dropping some hard club songs. Dude's flow is unfuckable-wit, and if he gets some good production he could be unstoppable. I can't really listen hard to most of his stuff due to the pedestrian production.

Jay Sosa

kamspy said:
West Coast stuff generally doesn't get the screw treatment. If you want 5000 Watts to do it, you better have a good ass album or a pile of cash. I don't know that Kendrick has either.

I don't think he paid them..did he? I would want my money back..and come on OD was arguably the second best tape/EP last year. But either way I would be ashamed to put my name on it.

Think I'm gonna make my own slowed version...

kamspy

PhoenixDark said:
True, true. Given Jeezy has fallen off the map into irrelevant land I wonder if Gibbs has joined a sinking ship. Regardless though he doesn't strike me as a guy who's gonna make big mainstream singles. But I could definitely see him dropping some hard club songs. Dude's flow is unfuckable-wit, and if he gets some good production he could be unstoppable. I can't really listen hard to most of his stuff due to the pedestrian production.

Another guy who would fit into my dream hip hop festival touring business model. I love Gibbs. He's one of my favorite new guys.

Kendrick is too plain for me. Rappers are like FPS games. Either they're the best, or they have a gimmick. Otherwise, they're not gonna do much.

kamspy

DominoKid said:
bet not be no old songs...

what all should i have from Flocka

i got...
Flockaveli
Lebron Flocka James 2
Salute Me or Shoot Me 3

Sudden Death. It's got horrible tags, but Gun Sounds is one of his best songs.

Yea..I know I'll get the funny face looks but I don't get the Kendrick Lamar love. Dude is just annoying to listen to, and doesn't say anything interesting.

Most underrated rapper is Xzibit. I'm listening to Bitch Please II and his part is my favorite besides the Nate Dogg chorus. I think it's his voice. It's just so hard.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
MidnightCowboy said:
Most underrated rapper is Xzibit. I'm listening to Bitch Please II and his part is my favorite besides the Nate Dogg chorus. I think it's his voice. It's just so hard.
xzibit was a pretty crazy before pimp my ride. also really miss nate dogg =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom