• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF-HOP! I need your opinions.
64K61.png

I just uploaded the first "single" from my upcoming album Free Health Care, which is a collaborative project with a rapper named Broken Pen. I've uploaded it to Bandcamp, so let me know what you guys think:
http://brokenemperor.bandcamp.com/track/out-that-door

My beats typically have that mid-90's "boom bap" sound to them, but on this album I'm trying to do something different. My beats are almost going to be borderline trip-hop. It's a different sound, and I don't know how everyone will receive it, but I'm excited.

If you guys want to check out my previous albums by any chance, check them out here.

edit: i miss my animated avatar =(

IrishNinja

^that was nice! beat was good, and i dug your flow. good work man!

im really not helpful with constructive criticism here, my bad. i dug it more than i thought it would, though, sounded great.

IrishNinja

ah, right, your post said that too. like you said, it's got that 90s boom bap element which is great, starts off rough but that's obviously the intent...im wondering how that sounds to res/kamspy/audiophile fiends though. for me, it's preaching to the choir cause i love that sound.

and yeah, tell your boy he can flow. not that i know much about the technical aspect here, but recordings like this mean i tend to hear when the MC breaths in before each few verses more than usual...if that's part of the style (meth, pun etc) it's fine, but if not, i guess you oughta be aware of it. i assume album production usually has tools that hide that.

kamspy

Emperor Bohe said:

I'd get straight to the lyrics. Maybe cut the Ice T intro into thirds and use each piece like a hook. Most people are going to fast forward past your opening lines or just not fuck with it at all. Not because it's a bad sample, but because they've never heard you before. Also, rent some studio time. Vocal track is a little flimsy(technically). Good ad libs do wonders. I always get people to record at least two ad lib tracks under their vocal track. Little details can make it sound really polished. I'm not talking about saying BALLIN' in near the end of a verse, but rather layering certain words or bars.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Tokubetsu said:
Hey Siddx, somehow Slug managed to write songs that are even more depressing than the ones on Lemonade.

Sweet, I like sad atmosphere, although I'm not sure it will be all that great for my mental health these days.

Are we talking Guarantees sad or Yesterday sad or Wild Wild Horses sad?

Tokubetsu

A mix of Yesterday and Guarantees sad. Just more serious issues like child abuse and drug abuse poisoning everyone's life involved.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
A mix of Yesterday and Guarantees sad. Just more serious issues like child abuse and drug abuse poisoning everyone's life involved.

Ah well I expected that, its part of why I appreciate them. We can't have everyone rapping about bitches and money, we need someone to try and bring actual subject matter to the table.

siddx

HiResDes said:
Lil'B is a top tier entertainer, and a shit-tier rapper...Why/how don't you guys get that

You can have both.
It's like settling for a girl who can suck a the skin off a dick but is horrible in bed. Don't settle, you can have both, you deserve it.

kamspy said:
But bitches and money is happy subject matter. :(

Either way, at least ATMOSPHERE FUCKING MAILS THE CDS THEY SELL.

Lol well Slug does own the best and most successful underground hip hop label in the world, so they are a bit more on top of things like that I suppose. Shit Toku got his album the day before it's actual release!

Jay Sosa

IrishNinja said:
it's okay. my fellow BASED brothers know i too was once a doubting thomas hater, but brother Shinobis opened up my eyes. it's like RZA says, not every man wants to leave Plato's cave.

No offense but posts like that make me dislike Lil B. I like the dude but can't stand his fanbase. They're like the Hipsters of Hip Hop.

Threi

notag
some of yall reeeeealy need to lighten up a bit.

Lil B provides humor in one of two ways. One being the actual content of his music (which is straight nonsense), second is via the memes it has created, where its a "so bad it's good" type of thing. Add to that that he is aware of the foolishness he's doing as evidenced by his "good" songs (not good relative to all of hip-hop but good relative to his "swag" music; basically coherent) and its pretty hard to hate on him.

Basically: It's trolling. He's trolling, his fans are trolling, we are all trolling. Stop catching feelings.

SWAG. CHEF. COOK.

#BASED

On another topic: Everyone go listen to Handshakes and Middle Fingers please. The more I listen to this album the more im lovin it.

RPS37

Bringin' it Back:

Treazon - Breathe Life 2
Released: February 2010

yi1a5.jpg

Available at DJBooth.net

Some of you may know Treazon from his appearance on QuESt's latest album.
I downloaded this tape some time around last October, but it only clicked with me a couple months ago. It's really a decent tape. Honestly, I'm just trying to pimp this shit a little bit because his next tape, Visions, is set to come out next week and I'm expecting it to be be goood.

Bonus (this is like the third time I posted this song on here): Treazon - Revenge

That's supposedly a throwaway track from Visions.

I wouldn't have such a problem Lil B if he didn't ruined all music for me.

I can't listen to anything without throwing imaginary swags in every 5 seconds. My mind has been polluted.

m3k

&Divius said:
..And the cast is amazing. Tons of cameo's. Ch-Ch-Check it out, here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791504/fullcredits#cast

wow wtf haha thats great

JackEtc said:
Been going back and listening to all of Busta Rhyme's stuff. What a character he is.

post some of the songs you like... i have extinction level event anddd the genesis, id like some pointers of good songs ive missed out on apart from the singles which ive mostly heard

everyboy rise is my shit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBQemP6AKSg

as i come back... the bass, good times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSpVV3BNnw&feature=related

JackEtc

m3k said:
post some of the songs you like... i have extinction level event anddd the genesis, id like some pointers of good songs ive missed out on apart from the singles which ive mostly heard

I'm at school so I can't really be posting YouTube links, but at the moment I keep re-listening to "Break Ya Neck". That song is crazy.

Also, I love "Light Your Ass On Fire", and the video is just weird. The beat is great. "Hmm."

EDIT: And if you haven't heard the Ocarina of Rhyme mix of "Don't Touch Me", listen to that.

m3k

yeah break your neck is a given..... and if you see busta do that shit live its the best thing ever

i was talking about his with a friend of mine yesterday, seriously there wouldnt be many live rap performers up there with busta, i almost lost it towards the end of the show we saw when he did break your neck

never got into the neptunes cd much apart from the nas song... ima supafreak like rick james! oh and the noreaga song too

bustas gimme some more video is a classic, but yall already know that

I have two types of friends who listen to Lil B.

One group listens to him seriously and does the cooking dance serious as hell.

The other group listens to his music for laughs and jokingly does the cooking dance.

I know for sure the group who listens to him seriously wasn't trolling me, once I heard the songs they made.

Edit: I haven't checked the mail in about a week or two and Cunninlynguists Oneirology(late on hearing this album) was just sitting there waiting for me. SWAG

HiResDes

Emperor Bohe said:
Pretty damn dope, it only took me this long to respond because I really hate it when people just pop in here every once in a while to serve their own agenda without contributing to any of the silly topics we discuss in here.
ReconYoda said:
I'm not a big ye fan,not since late registration. And hiresdes, I'm sorry I bore u with truth.
Yoda I know even you can't hate on dem BASED bitches though, did you see that girl? I can't stop thinking about her, DAMN!

Edit: BTW, all of the regulars need to update their avatars, shit is mad jarring.

PBY

Banned
Just listened to Jim Jones' Capo and the new Brotha Lynch Hung... Both are pretty standard, exactly what youd expect from them. I actually kind of liked Capo more than I thought I would tho.

mooooose

Emperor Bohe said:
thanks for the input, i really really really really appreciate it (i mean that). oh, and i just made the beat, Broken Pen is the rapper.
You need to work on the quality of recording/mixing of the vocals. And the dude needs more energy. I feel like that beat is too cool and different for such a boring flow.

siddx

ChldRebelSoldr said:
I guess they finally moved to internal avatars only?

Proof - The Fizzo (Produced by J Dilla)
Great track. Love the beat. RIP to both Proof and Dilla.

Between everyone and their mother trying to sound like Lex, and Kanye's overproduced fuckery, the rap game really misses Dilla right now.

At least we still have people like ant and kno.

RPS37 said:
Bringin' it Back:

Treazon - Breathe Life 2
Released: February 2010

yi1a5.jpg

Available at DJBooth.net

Some of you may know Treazon from his appearance on QuESt's latest album.
I downloaded this tape some time around last October, but it only clicked with me a couple months ago. It's really a decent tape. Honestly, I'm just trying to pimp this shit a little bit because his next tape, Visions, is set to come out next week and I'm expecting it to be be goood.

Bonus (this is like the third time I posted this song on here): Treazon - Revenge

That's supposedly a throwaway track from Visions.

yeah I like TreaZon, awesome flow, just wish he'd rap less about Dragonball Z. His 9 Steps mixtape is quality too.

good lookin out, I didn't know he had a new tape coming out soon, have to keep my eye out for it.

siddx

YES I DID GET THE FULL GOODIE PACKAGE HUZZAH!!!
cItcr.jpg

Took a long drive and listened to it. Toku you were right, sad album, but not in a dark way really. Anyone looking for happy or cocky slug will be disappointed, but I thought it was fantastic first listen through. Manages to feel like atmosphere without simply retreading over old sounds. I am glad they continue to bring something unique on each new album rather than just do more of the same (even though I wouldn't mind another "lemons" type album since it has grown into one of my top 3 albums of all time).

Some of the songs are downright beautiful, others may have to grow on me a bit more but there weren't any songs that I wanted to just skip. Considering my love for "lemons" took several months to fully form I expect to be giving this album a lot of play to get a feel for it. But I have high hopes that it will really click with me, I spent the whole time with a smile on my face despite the subject matter of several songs, just because I was so happy to be listening to a new atmosphere album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom