• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

peterb0y said:
Say it- I'll go ahead and say mine right now: Big KRIT

yeah. I said it.

^edit: shit just saw the above :lol

Big K.R.I.T - If I Should Die

Ransom Ft. Big K.R.I.T- I'm a G

Though the dude seriously has never made a bad song. I can see why you don't like being an Eminem fan, their flows couldn't be more different. However, if you like dirty south shit, especially old school Pimp C and 8Ball+MJG, I don't see how you could possibly dislike KRIT. It's just not possible.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
haha seriously considering some of the love I saw in the old thread, I fear for my life :lol
here goes...

Blu.

O.O

I think his beat selection is "right idea, wrong execution" and his voice and delivery is unremarkable and dull. Lyrically he is very good, but he can't execute well enough to make it matter to me. Great writer, boring rapper.

HiResDes

siddx said:
haha seriously considering some of the love I saw in the old thread, I fear for my life :lol
here goes...

Blu.

O.O

I think his beat selection is "right idea, wrong execution" and his voice and delivery is unremarkable and dull. Lyrically he is very good, but he can't execute well enough to make it matter to me. Great writer, boring rapper.
Dude. I already knew that. Didn't we have a discussion about him in the other thread. Blu is one of those rappers like a Qwel or Aesop that I think makes high art, but maybe some of his stuff is too far out there for others to enjoy.

siddx

HiResDes said:
Dude. I already knew that. Didn't we have a discussion about him in the other thread. Blu is one of those rappers like a Qwel or Aesop that I think makes high art, but maybe some of his stuff is too far out there for others to enjoy.

Did we? I may have been drunk and don't remember. I am drunk a lot.

I actually love Aesop. For a long time he was my favorite rapper, and then there were a few years that he wore me out and I couldn't stand him anymore. But first time I heard non shall pass I was drawn right back in.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Did we? I may have been drunk and don't remember. I am drunk a lot.

I actually love Aesop. For a long time he was my favorite rapper, and then there were a few years that he wore me out and I couldn't stand him anymore. But first time I heard non shall pass I was drawn right back in.
I don't think your gonna get shit for that... Blu's just fucking nuts, hes like a more artistic, crazier version of Lupe imho... he'll go nuts on something like Below the Heavens, and then put out straight garbage (his more recent shit)

siddx

peterb0y said:
I don't think your gonna get shit for that... Blu's just fucking nuts, hes like a more artistic, crazier version of Lupe imho... he'll go nuts on something like Below the Heavens, and then put out straight garbage (his more recent shit)

Hmmm, I have untaped, thegodleebarnes, and her favorite color. Untaped is just awful. Godleebarnes is decent but I dont know if its the copy I have or not..but the quality is atrocious. I mean barely listenable. And her favorite color seems to be the kind of album that "clicks" one day when you are just sitting around listening to music.
What might piss people off is that the first time I heard him, and I still feel this way somewhat, he reminded me of a cross between talib kweli and asher roth :lol He just doesn't hold my interest with his rapping style. Too often he just sounds like he's his rambling.

HiResDes

cashman said:
speaking of blu, I've had this track on repeat recently. I wanna hear him do a verse or something over this beat, but its great background music.
Man that shit is horrible. Apparently this on the same album, which is unbelievable being such a tight song.

Blu - BossCo. 2

Honestly I think his style is more of an homage to west side dudes like Aesop Rock than Talib Kweli...I hear no Talib Kweli in Blu whatsoever. And Asher Roth's last mixtape made it into my top five list so that's a compliment to me.

This is probably my favorite of compilation of Blu tracks for any newcomers that might read this:

20090915-blu.jpg

DL LINK

siddx

HiResDes said:
Man that shit is horrible. Apparently this on the same album, which is unbelievable being such a tight song.

Blu - BossCo. 2

Honestly I think his style is more of an homage to west side dudes like Aesop Rock than Talib Kweli...I hear no Talib Kweli in Blu whatsoever. And Asher Roth's last mixtape made it into my top five list so that's a compliment to me.

I enjoyed asher's mix tape as well. But thats mainly because I find him funny and clever. Blu tries to be serious while having that monotone rambling flow that asher tends to use. And I hear talib in his voice, not his style.

Then again I didn't like J cole at all until I heard the warm up, so maybe I just need to hear something else from blu.

Can't say I'm digging the whole "abstract scat singing and releasing poorly recorded/not mastered music" vibe Blu has been on recently. Not worried though considering his next album with Exile, next Johnson&Johnson, his "debut" album on Warner, etc are going to be dope.

HiResDes

siddx said:
I enjoyed asher's mix tape as well. But thats mainly because I find him funny and clever. Blu tries to be serious while having that monotone rambling flow that asher tends to use. And I hear talib in his voice, not his style.

Then again I didn't like J cole at all until I heard the warm up, so maybe I just need to hear something else from blu.
Oh, yeah I could see that, I misunderstood...Their styles are mad different in that Talib Kweli is super offbeat with his delivery, while Blu is almost too on beat at times.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Can't say I'm digging the whole "abstract scat singing and releasing poorly recorded/not mastered music" vibe Blu has been on recently. Not worried though considering his next album with Exile, next Johnson&Johnson, his "debut" album on Warner, etc are going to be dope.

Unless he becomes like Murs. If that happens then the new album with exile will actually be better than bth, the new J&J will be alright and his "Debut" on warner will be awful.

Jay Sosa

haha seriously considering some of the love I saw in the old thread, I fear for my life
here goes...

Blu.

O.O

Shit my money was on "The Illz", since he was showered with praise by nearly everyone.

Speaking of which, anyone else kinda disappointed with his new tape?. Well not disappointed, more surprised how he all of sudden brags so much. Wasn't his old EP more introspective or does my memory fail me once again?

Also not impressed with the Aleon Craft tape, some of the beats are unlistenable, gets a lot better at the end though. Maybe I just need to give both tapes a couple of more listens.

Skuff'l tape indeed is awesome, perfect for a run through the woods or riding my bike. Same goes for the Teophilus(sp?) London tape, his lyrics are a bit basic but suit the beats perfectly. It reminds me of the Foreign Exchange stuff (that btw is the highest praise someone will get from me :D)

Btw, keep the recommendations/favorites for non Hip Hop/Soul artists coming. It's really interesting to see what you guys like besides the stuff you post here. Already ordered a Counting Crows best of :D

Kimosabae

Banned
Just wanted the peeps that took the time to respond to my rant to know I haven't divorced you or the subject. Life's fangs, etc. Plus, they were thought provoking so I needed a minute to sit on it.

Tokubetsu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3lOausqGU

Pure, pure, PURE!

Pilot Talk 2 Teaser:
http://creativecontrol.tv/www/#/shows/barretta-aftershave-powered-by-jet$-vision/pilot-talk-2-teaser/

Everything I've heard about it seems to point to it being pretty much done. Erykah Badu is on there and Raekwon too. Last interview I saw with Curren$y a couple days ago said he was shooting for a Halloween release date.

Slizz

Well.....I need to find a way to this show.....Shouldn't be too hard since its on a Friday, I really don't think I can miss this:

20100902-SMOKERS1.jpg

20100902-SMOKERS2.jpg

Tokubetsu

Slizz said:
Well.....I need to find a way to this show.....Shouldn't be too hard since its on a Friday, I really don't think I can miss this:

20100902-SMOKERS1.jpg

20100902-SMOKERS2.jpg

I'm trying to get out to the White Room date. Where my MIA dudes at? I' will take the fucking bus if I have to :lol

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
^How is it? Are there any "deep" song on it, like on 2 the extreme? Or is it just about smoking and sex?
Smoking and Sex to the max. Like it's all he knows, but it's tight to bump in the car.

hie

Jay Sosa said:
^How is it? Are there any "deep" song on it, like on 2 the extreme? Or is it just about smoking and sex?

I would love to hear him do some more shit like "Right Now"...one of my favorite jams ever.

Jay Sosa

Thanks. Had hoped that it would be more like 2 the extreme where he actually had songs where he tried to talk about something else. Have enough car music already, fell in love with the PRGz tape, have that one on repeat. This song is sooo awesome

Anutha Night

hie said:
I would love to hear him do some more shit like "Right Now"...one of my favorite jams ever.

Exactly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So GAF my 2011 wish for GAF-Hop would be to finally get another Deltron 3030 album. I think this might be my GAF-Hop wish every year though! :lol :lol :lol

Tokubetsu said:

I'm sorry, but I hate shit like this. I don't want to hear your lame-ass smoking over the mic, I don't want to hear stupid fabricated background noises or dumb laughing or conversations, or you breathing, making noises, sniffing, or smoking. I want music, not you playing around like an 8 year old in the studio pressing buttons.

Such a huge pet peeve of mine when it comes to hiphop, it's one of the main reasons why so many people criticize it. I don't consider it an aspect of hiphop culture, I think it needs to be abandoned. Express yourself over music and rhymes, not your boring, drone, lame, and pointless narration for 2 minutes beforehand.

ILikeFeet

Banned
listening to Moe Green for the....... well he has been on repeat for a while. in other words, good shit (that I listened to recently)

also good shit:
- Of Mics and Men
- The Pursuit
- 5:01 Overtime
- The Anchorman Mixtape
- Tale of Two's City part 2

Kimosabae

Banned
Safari just ate 30 minutes worth of my fucking post. Fuck it. Rant style incoming.

Look, it's obviously a problem bigger than hip hop. It's a societal issue. My perspective is humanistic. I don't see why music can't be both stimulating and entertaining. I wouldn't find a picture of a dick funny unless it was presented to me in a clever fashion. Neither should any of you.

Hip hop is full of introspection. Introspection is good, but what's it worth if it's all shining the same light on the same objects? That's my beef with hip hop, specifically. Not enough new ideas and approaches. It's not about 'Lyricism' (whatever that means), or just about the quality of productions.

'Boy Meets World' is introspective in many places and that is respectable. It assures that the music Fashawn makes is, at the very least, meaningful to him, giving it at least some substance. Problem is, while Fash raps skillfully, I’ve heard his form of introspection 100,000,000 times over. Hate to sound callous to the subjective experience and pretentious, but the content in hip hop is tiring. I’m not saying Fashawn’s mixtape is disposable (while being good in a fundamental sense) because it has “throwaway tracks”. I dismiss it as being disposable because I’ve heard it all before.

All these underground artists clamor on about the death of the genre due to originality – but all clamor with the same fucking instruments. Fuck that. Hip hop was predicated on the subjective experience, that’s fine. But it was a subjective experience with wide, societal implications. That’s the difference between Grandmaster Flash’s ‘The Message’ and the million other rap songs destroying the symbol of what that song title has become through its aping. Hip hop needs to consider an existence outside that paradigm. It needs to grow beyond that 18 – 25 year old demographic. Due to its focus on lyrics, hip hop possibly has the greatest potential to peddle messages. The Def Jux movement opened my eyes to this. While I never liked everyone in their camp, they were one of the few labels who’s music essentially forced me to think sideways (you guys know how I feel about Aesop already) and realize the world was bigger than the block I was raised on. There’s an insignificant amount of rappers doing this today. If I’m wrong, please, let me know.

HiResDes:
Been listening to that tape. I do like it, so far. I like the fact that Wrekoniz’s style isn’t obvious and the fact that he’s from South Florida’s encouraging (reminds me of a Tonedef, Slug, Cage hybrid). For reasons mentioned in this post, however, I don’t find it to be anything to get excited about.

‘Madman’ has been on repeat since yesterday, though.

Eh, every genre would meet the "tiring" content criteria you're labeling hip hop with. That line of criticism has never set well with me.

I realize the "trying to get out the ghetto, I want to do better things" thing has been done billions of times, but so have love songs and everything else. What makes songs stand out is the artist's personal story. Beneath the Heavens by Blu & Exile is full of introspective songs like this - and so is say, Resurrection by Common. But while both albums are similar in that regard, Blu and Common have different life stories.

Not every song has to deal with some grand topic. For all Def Jux's originality, there's also some pretty average rapping being done for the sake of being abstract.

0008-jay_50.jpg
\

Wow after all the shit 50 was talking last year i wonder what that conversation was like. I wonder how beanie feels? :lol

More Pics from the Historic here http://www.thelifefiles.com/2010/09/03/exclusive-photos-from-jay-z-and-eminems-detroit-concert/

MTV's Live Blog Recap

7:45 PM Shaheem Reid: It's a battle to get in the stadium. Lol! People are literally lined up all around the stadium. It's calm chaos as the crowd files into Comerica Park for the Jay-Z/ Eminem concert. Lot of Eminem tee-shirts, lot of Proof tee-shirts. You hear some of Em's greatest hits like "Not Afraid" playing as you enter the park. Right next door is Ford Field where the Lions are playing in a NFL Exhibition game. There may be literally 100,000 people in the streets of Detroit by midnight.

8:10 PM SR: B.O.B. just finished a brief opening set. He closed with his hit "Nothing On You."

8:13 PM SR: Everyone is clamoring to take pics with Sway as we find our seats. They love the homie.

8:42 PM SR: Jay in 7 mins. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" and "Hypnotized" blast out the house speakers.

8:44 PM SR: Jay starts with the Dynasty intro. "Deeeeeetroit what's up!!! Stop the beat. Ohh shit!" Crowd goes crazy. Hov says he needs two minutes to take it all in. "This is hip-hop music and this is how far we come to rocking stadiums."

8:47 PM SR: "Run this town" next. Crowd is crazy already!!!!!!

8:49 PM SR: Jay just did "Free Mason"!!! My verse of the year. He's going ham already. No Ross though.

8:57 PM SR: "This might need a verse from Jeezy!!!" Jeezy comes out for "Dey Know" remix. Hov tells him don't play with the people. "Soul Survivor" next. Show is retarded already.

9:07 PM SR: So Jeezy ended with "Lose My Mind." Memph Bleek is out now. Him and Hov tearing stadium apart with "You Don't Know." Detroit!!! Crowd is live. Ready to party. Showing love across the board.

9:11 PM Sway: Wow the crowd explodes when Jay does "99 Problems." Detroit has one of the most diverse hip-hop demograpics in the country. People from age 11 to 55 are dancing on the field. Its a party in Motown!

9:15 PM SR: This stage is freakin huge!!!!!!!!! Heard from a insider that there are 40 production trucks. A regular stadium show has 20 production trucks.

9:21 PM SR: Big Tribute to hip-hop's fallen soldiers. Ended with HOV telling fans to make most noise they ever did for Proof. Crowd yells "Prooooooooooooooof!" Wow! Jay then goes into "Hard Knock Life."

9:29 PM Sway: Bunch of folks jumping over barricades to get to the restricted field area from the bleachers while Jay performs "Heart of the City"! Shaheem just said that would never happen a Yankess Stadium!

9:40 PM Sway: I just talked with Jeff Kos from Detroit. While Jay performed a new rendition of "Jigga" he spoke how rare it is to see Eminem perform. He said right now Detroit needs the moral booster. What Tupac meant to the west coast is what Em means to Detroit. Wow!

9:47 PM SR: Jay's going in. "Guess Who's Back" he doesn't perform that too much. "Dirt Off Your Shoulder's" now.

9:50 PM Sway: I'm sitting next to Nicole from Redford 24. She says seeing all of these people from this area is exciting and gives her chills. It's the biggest thing to come around these parts in years.

9:54 PM Sway: Jay-Z has really upped the ante with the gigantic jumbotron screens behind him scrolling footage of New York while the entire stadium sing the chorus of "Empire State of Mind." Hip-Hop artists concerts from this point on will have to step their game up. This is like Rock The Bells sh**!

9:57 PM Sway: Jay-Z said "No bullsh**, this is an amazing night for him." He's now doing his signature roll call while he points out individuals from the crowd and gives them acknowledgements. He commented on how much money merchandising made tonight.

9:59 PM SR: Jays not done yet. Tells fans he appreciates them singing "New York." "I know where I'm at," he adds with a smile. "Encore" comes next.

10:02 PM Sway: Even in Detroit the Roc Diamonds are in the air. The entire stadium are chanting "Hova, Hova!" Great concert. I'm curious to the cost of production. full band, light show, jumbo tron screens, etc. This guy Derek from downtown D area said he already feels like he got his money's worth.

10:34 PM Sway: Eminem is about to take the stage. The crows is in a frenzy!

10:36 PM SR: Shady time!!!!! Lights out. Band playing. Em starts with "Won't Back Down." Crazy!!!

10:38 PM Sway: Alchemist on the turntable set. Big RECOVERY graphic planted across the screen! This crowd is practically doing karaoke to "Won't Back Down!"

10:43 PM Sway: Girls are singing "3 AM" like they're in a rap cypher.

10:46 PM SR: "White Trash Party," "Kill You."" He has them in a trance.

10:47 PM Sway: Classic time! "Kill You!" Reminds me of hearing on my radio show days free-styling over break beats. Wakeupshow classics!

10:50 PM Sway: Detroit "boss" Trick-Trick just came on out. Underground favorite, you can tell he has the locals on lock!

10:53 PM SR: "No Love." There are images of a hand squeezing a human heart on the screens behind Eminem. They lovvvvvve Slim Shady. Rappin word for word.

10:55 PM Sway: Eminem chants "Free Weezy" to "No Love" feat Wayne. Em looks like he's extremely focused and his energy levels are past 10.

10:56 PM Sway: There's not one person within my eyesight that is sitting down in Comerica Stadium from top to bottom. Every chorus is being sang loudly, especially "Cleaning Out My Closet."

10:57 PM SR: "Cleaning Out My Closet." Em yelling "fu-- you momma.". Stops the beat on the chorus, crowd yells "Sorry momma." Can't lie, me and mom are thick as thieves, but this is one of my top five Em songs. His flow and articulation are unmatched on that record... Ah man, he follows up with "The Way I Am." My fave Em song!

10:49 PM Sway: I got 4 guys next to me who are practically possessed by Em singing "I am" like they wrote it and/or it was written about them. Lol. It's kind of funny but laughing might get me punched. Eminem says "I'm back Detroit...it feels good to be back...do you miss me?" Crowd cheers him on.

11:04 PM Sway: D-12 just came out to "Fight Music." This guy Sean from Detroit says its like a classic reunion except for the whole city!

11:06 PM SR: Been to two million rap concerts, Eminem is the only show where guys take off their shirt like they are about to wrestle. They are getting rock and roll rowdy!!

11:08 PM Sway: Cara from Redford said it's very bittersweet to see D-12 perform "My Band" and other songs without Proof. RIP. I will admit it's hard not to notice his absence. Every time I came to Detroit he looked out for me. That kind of dude. Eminem just asked the entire stadium to sing along with Proof's voice on his his verse. EVERYONE knows the lyrics. People are singing in Shaheem's ears as I blog!

11:16 PM Sway: B.O.B. just hit the stage for "Airplanes" remix minus Hayley, but it's like a prelude to the VMA's seeing both on stage. Bridging of the generations of hip-hop. Eminem has soared to new heights tonight. Very energetic.

11:20 PM Sway: OMG! "Toy Soldiers!" The crowd is chanting RIP Proof with video playing in the background. The video was almost like prophetic the way it played out Proof's death. Em is understandably emotional. I like how this song captured all the beef and turmoil he was experiencing at this time in his life.

11:21 PM SR: Damn. It's crazy watching this "Toy Soldiers" video as Eminem performs it. Especially with everything that happened to Proof. RiP to that brother.

11:22 PM Sway: "Forever" is on and the crowd is going crazy anticipating Drake! Crowd just about vomited he just hit the stage!!! This is crazy! DRAKE! This girl just knocked my blackberry out of my hand in excitement!

11:23 PM Sway: Eminem is seriously making a case for the top slot in this year's Hottest MC's round table! This Forever verse sounds ridiculous! Em shouts out Drake, "this is history in the making," says Drake "make some noise for the legend Eminem!"

11:23 PM SR: Drake comes out for "Forever." says "I'm so honored to be here to tonight. This is history in the making. I want y'all to make some noise for the muthaf***** legend that is, Emimem."

11:25 PM Sway: 50 Cent just walked out. IT'S A BLACKOUT! THIS IS 50, the golden era is back!!! I'm so rejuvenated! Real rappers damn! This is what makes this show great!! Damn!!

11:28 PM Sway: Em hands the stage to 50! "I Get Money!" 50 has on a jacket that has glow in the dark lights, so when the stage is dark he's glowing. Crazy!!

11:32 PM Sway: G-UNIT swarming the stage! YAYO one of my favorite rap entertainers. Banks! "In the Club" has the stadium looking like a New Years Eve Party!

11:35 PM SR: Em's back now for "Till I Collapse" and "Cinderella Man". Shady has mastered stadium music.

11:37 PM Sway: I'm starting to sweat! Em's doing "Cinderella Man." If you were here you would feel like you would were transfixed. Meanwhile, there are 2 middle aged couples against the barricades grinding simulating sexual exploits. I'm telling you, Em has Detroit on fire tonight!

11:42 PM Sway: "Love the Way You Lie." People are now respectfully adjusting to the content of the song. I will admit it's a minor set back that Rihanna hasn't graced the stage.

11:47 PM Sway: Arguably the hardest rap collabo in raps history! "Renegade!" The crowd is in awe watching these 2 icons rap next to each other! That duet challenges this?? So much power, success, tradition, influence, on one stage. If your true to this culture you get it. If not, it's not meant for you! Lol.

11:48 PM SR: Em says he wants to have fun now. Takes it back to "My Name Is." Em is very Engaged.

11:50 PM SR: Surreal moment of the year. Dr. Dre is onstage performing right now with Eminem. Dre did "Still D.R.E" and now they are doing "G-Thang." Em is rapping Snoop's part!

11:51 PM Sway: Oh sh**! Dre is doing "Still Dre!" OMG! Being originally from the WEST I'm in heaven!! Dre looks like he sleeps in the gym! People are staring in disbelief and so am I!

11:52 PM Sway: "Next Episode!" Damn! Em got the whole crowd chanting DETOX!!!

11:53 PM Sway: Dre simply said "I'm coming!" Lol. We've heard that before but I still can't wait. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

11:54 PM SR: "Got dammit Detroit. Do I love you or what?" Eminem says. "Look what I brought out for you." Em then tells he wants Dre to feel all the love. Detox chants follow. "Deeee-tox. Deeee-tox," crowd yells. Dre just says "I'm Comin!" They go into "Crack a Bottle."

12:04 PM SR: Slim Shady took it back with "Real Slim Shady" and "Without Me." Tells the audience he loves them and next song is for them. "Not Afraid" comes on. Most of the stadium is still here. They are rocking with him!

12:05 PM Sway: Em is thanking the crowd for their support throughout his career. He's speaking over the intro of "I'm Not Afraid." He just dedicated this song to Detroit. The crowd is visibly happy to have their native son back. Em is intensely projecting on every word of the song. Like his career its like the show is doing a 360. This seems to be the launching pad to a new beginning. This young lady Cara pointed out how people are standing and singing this new anthem from top to bottom. It's stadium music for sure. People don't want to leave! It's like they want to hang on to this moment for nostalgic reasons but also they seem re-inspired as Eminem thanks them for all the love. Lights out. Show's over.

12:09 PM Sway: The crowd is chanting encore. I must say not many tours since "Up In Smoke Tour", "Rock The Bells," "Anger Management," "Bad Boy" have I been this entertained. Wait...Em is coming back and doing "Lose Yourself." I JUST GOT CHILLS!
http://rapfix.mtv.com/2010/09/02/eminem-jay-z-concert-detroit/?xrs=share_twitter
Wow EPIC show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom