• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombs over Bagdad,
Bodies in the ocean,
Arms in the trash can,
Who gonna be the last man?
Standin in the circle,
Funny Urkel is a black man,
Last time a nigga seen Apollo was the sandman

Damn I can't stop listening to Rickie Jacob's Malcolm X.

Same with Logic's Zoom.

overcast

cacophony said:
Hell yeah. Mellowhype may be my favorite part of odd future. This is great news.

Also I finally listened to all the XV tapes I had. I liked almost every mixtape, wasn't a fan of The Square in the Circle. Everybodys nobody was the best as I was told. Sometimes I'm not feeling his songs. Please, hold for example was a mixed bag for me. But in the end I enjoyed the album. He seems to have a lot of talent, and he is a unique sound in hip hop. Disappointing that his album is apparently not very good.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
overcast said:
Thought I would post impressions here. New Atmosphere is great stuff. I wouldn't put it quite at Lemons level. Atmosphere has a different sound now, and I completely respect them for it. Only things I don't much care for on the album is the bad bad daddy hook and I'm not the biggest fan of aint nobody but it's starting to grow a bit. Became is a fucking excellent song. Showcases slugs fantastic story telling. I also love your name here and my key. All of the songs are quality pretty much. Ant created some smooth production on this as well. Overall, Atmosphere proves that they are one of the most dependable groups in hip hop

Also that new Curren$y track is good stuff. Covert Coup is going to be awesome.

I didn't care too much for aint nobody at first either, but on the drive back here, I listened to it three times and it really really really grew on me. In fact I love it now and count it as one of my favorites.

I look at this album similar to You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having. Both albums felt like transition albums as they figured out where they want to go next. It's not an in your face album that commands your attention the way Lemons, God loves Ugly, and even Seven's Travels were. It's far more laid back and subtle. It likely won't get nearly as much play as lemons did, but it will live in my cd player far longer than any other album this year.

overcast

siddx said:
I didn't care too much for aint nobody at first either, but on the drive back here, I listened to it three times and it really really really grew on me. In fact I love it now and count it as one of my favorites.

I look at this album similar to You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having. Both albums felt like transition albums as they figured out where they want to go next. It's not an in your face album that commands your attention the way Lemons, God loves Ugly, and even Seven's Travels were. It's far more laid back and subtle. It likely won't get nearly as much play as lemons did, but it will live in my cd player far longer than any other album this year.
I kid you not, after listening to that song a few more times it has grown on me. Listening to If you can save me now right now, so good. Damn fine album.

Truthfully, these guys can go in any direction they want. I will listen to their music regardless.

IrishNinja

looking forward to that kool moe dee & krs track later, good post.

ok so drunk/high but ive got a hip-hop confession gaf...i sat through "thank me later" last night (mostly sober) and i gotta say, it was a lot better than i expected. dude cant rap that great but he can sing, if you go in treating it like R&B (rap & bullshit) i think it's a lot more serviceable, and in light of minaj & co on the radio, i walked way liking more tracks than not. production is pretty decent, that didn't hurt. between that and some of his mixtape, i think drake's alright. hooks like "miss me" are solid.

come at me bro.jpg

CRS

From what I can tell, Drake is mainly hated on because of his association/connection with Lil' Wayne/Young Money. Haven't listened to any of his stuff so don't really have an opinion on the guy or his music.

IrishNinja

yeah, i mean...that association alone (plus radio airplay to death) is enough to hate the dude, hence why i was surprised to enjoy his album. again, if you're prepared for that hip-pop sound dude puts out, it's alright. i say this with the same amount of shame i admit to defending ace of fucking base in the 90s.

i guess i'm just waiting for my man siddx to show up and tell me here i'm softer than a vagina made of baby lambskin or something.

IrishNinja

haha...it's all love, though. you ain't fam here until you've admitted a few guilty pleasures that you know are gonna get you clowned on. my skin's thick, but i'ma go have another toke just to make sure i'm insulated, haha.

overcast

Have you guys ever listened to Blueprint from Rhymesayers? One of my friends recommended him, but I would like to know which album of his is quality. Just a little bit skeptical as of now.

RJT

overcast said:
Have you guys ever listened to Blueprint from Rhymesayers? One of my friends recommended him, but I would like to know which album of his is quality. Just a little bit skeptical as of now.
Soul Position - 8 Million Stories is great.

It's him on the mic with RJD2 producing all of the tracks. Definitely recommended, even though the dude tends to be somewhat preachy at times. But it's Rhymesayers, so a little emo is expected :)

Kaizer

Banned

Double D

Yep. I have to imagine he's got raps for weeks written down at this point. If his mom really did send him away for these reasons, she's going to hate what happens when he turns 18.

Edit: I just started listening to The Heavy Metal Kings album. I'm on track 6 and so far I'm liking it a lot more than Vinnie's solo album.

Detox

You know I think they missed a trick by not discussing that hiphop can still address issues. They might not be role models to kids as much as that teacher was saying but I felt Bun should have talked about hiphop bringing these issues up to young adults and I'm going to guess that's what the teacher really wanted when he brought up Lil Wayne or whatever.

Lupe dismissing all that learning wasn't ethering at all. Shouldn't have just thrown away all those subjects english, maths, history; no teach them how to plant a tree. He may disagree about what aspects of english and history are being taught but he shouldn't say that they shouldn't be taught. If he attacked the way I presume the American curriculum like the British one is heavily geared towards the middle class than I would have applauded him. Trying to get a urban working class kid to learn about Pride & Prejudice is fucked up because they can't relate (that's what I had and struggled most of my peers suffered). I just can't take plant a tree shit seriously.

kamspy

Well guess who came crawling back for my forgiveness today. Lil Krit. Got an email saying my order shipped. They changed digital store names too. First it was the Smoke Shop. Now it's Multi Alumni LLC.

I guess The Smoke Shop was doing too much smoking and not enough SHIPPING.

Ya know, I don't wanna sound too burnt
Yes, I'm Mad
, but shit like this effects the way you feel about an artist. This was a FREE ALBUM. I chose to support dude and pay for it. All I get in return is a cock up my ass. Might get another cock in the ass if it gets here and is just the 160kbps rip pressed to CD.

Fuck.

ChldRebelSoldr said:
From what I can tell, Drake is mainly hated on because of his association/connection with Lil' Wayne/Young Money. Haven't listened to any of his stuff so don't really have an opinion on the guy or his music.

Nah. Drake is hated on because mainstream audiences proclaim him as a great rapper due to him being more lyrical than most radio shit out there. It's the same reason Lil Wayne is hated on, why I hate on Eminem, etc.

I respect Drake for bringing lyricism back to the mainstream, and Lil Wayne for that matter. But I don't consider myself a fan of either.

kamspy said:
Well guess who came crawling back for my forgiveness today. Lil Krit. Got an email saying my order shipped. They changed digital store names too. First it was the Smoke Shop. Now it's Multi Alumni LLC.

Yes, I'm Mad
, but shit like this effects the way you feel about an artist. This was a FREE ALBUM. I chose to support dude and pay for it. All I get in return is a cock up my ass. Might get another cock in the ass if it gets here and is just the 160kbps rip pressed to CD.

Fuck.
My still hasn't shipped yet :(

kamspy

Tguy said:
My still hasn't shipped yet :(

What day did you order?

_______

I like Thank Me Later. Another album I can enjoy with the kids and wife in the truck. Those always get bonus points from me.

CRS

kamspy said:

Yes, I'm Mad

Fuck.

Damn it. I haven't received an email from them. If it is the web release burned onto a CD, I'll never buy anything of his ever again. That's one reason why I got the CD.

Detox

PhoenixDark said:
Nah. Drake is hated on because mainstream audiences proclaim him as a great rapper due to him being more lyrical than most radio shit out there. It's the same reason Lil Wayne is hated on, why I hate on Eminem, etc.

I respect Drake for bringing lyricism back to the mainstream, and Lil Wayne for that matter. But I don't consider myself a fan of either.

OrsonWellesClap.gif

Okay GAF-HOP who do I go see live: Ice Cube and Naughty By Nature or Rakim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom