• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Fab is a decent enough Mase imitation with slightly better lyricism. But I find him kind of boring. Plus he can't spell. But once in a while he does something worth listening to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't want to hear anyone act like they didn't think Fab was was the greatest when Breathe hit. Fab is wordplay by the metric ton, whether it makes sense or not.

I'll wait for the consensus on that Fab tape though.

TheOddOne said:
HiphopGAF I have to confess something, I still have not listened J Cole's Friday Night Lights.

I feel bad.
You should feel bad. It's one of those universally acclaimed tapes. Gives me chills every fucking time the beat kicks in. Seriously, Cole's production game alone is amazing. Tape still get's rotation for me.

Before I'm Gone + Blow Up + Premeditated Murder >>>>>>>>>>

Also, I still believe in CRS. Don't Stop was a dope song, even though it was hastily put together for the sake of promoting MBDTF. They all want to do it, it's just schedules never line up, especially Yeezy's (cause Lupe ain't got shit to do anyways). And Ye is more busy than ever right now.

hhir_guru_2011_collaborations_rarities_part_one-300x300.jpg

http://www.blindiforthekids.com/music/2011/04/guru-collabos-and-rarites/

Probably late on this but whateva.

HiResDes

20110421-KIDSBACK.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK

...Don't be thrown off by the fact that the kid is wearing a backpack on the album cover, there's nothing too pretentious or backpack-centric about this mixtape/album...Plus the beats are mastered ingeniously.

Backpack makes me want to download it even more, honestly.

Downloading now.

Edit: Really liking Kids In The Back 2. The production is outstanding! Thanks for the heads up.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
I don't want to hear anyone act like they didn't think Fab was was the greatest when Breathe hit. Fab is wordplay by the metric ton, whether it makes sense or not.

I'll wait for the consensus on that Fab tape though.

You should feel bad. It's one of those universally acclaimed tapes. Gives me chills every fucking time the beat kicks in. Seriously, Cole's production game alone is amazing. Tape still get's rotation for me.

Before I'm Gone + Blow Up + Premeditated Murder >>>>>>>>>>

Also, I still believe in CRS. Don't Stop was a dope song, even though it was hastily put together for the sake of promoting MBDTF. They all want to do it, it's just schedules never line up, especially Yeezy's (cause Lupe ain't got shit to do anyways). And Ye is more busy than ever right now.

Really like Fab, but can't stand the beat on Breathe, thought that shit was corny the day it came out.

m3k

MThanded said:
what is going on in here!!!

lol its like i stopped listening to new hiphop for a few years and just listened to old stuff... and i dunno its like my music backlog is big

well im almost through listening to it, only skipped 3 songs, its going on repeat

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've yet to listen to Friday Night Lights the whole way through. I've listened to various songs more than once and kind of skimmed through it. But I wasn't impressed enough by it to have it in heavy rotation. I have nothing bad to say about J.Cole, but he just doesn't click for me.

kamspy

siddx said:
I've yet to listen to Friday Night Lights the whole way through. I've listened to various songs more than once and kind of skimmed through it. But I wasn't impressed enough by it to have it in heavy rotation. I have nothing bad to say about J.Cole, but he just doesn't click for me.

Same. And it's weird because on paper he would be a rapper I like. I can tell his shit is quality, it just doesn't strike me. /shrug

reKon

Banned
listen to the warm up first, then jump to friday night lights. The come up also has a bunch of crazy tracks, but he's not as refined on that. The Warm Up is what I listened to first and I was instantly like wow, this dude can rap and he has a crazy flow.

Kimosabae said:
Yeah, I'ma do a double-take on the Curren$y tape. First three tracks really stood out to me, but the rest of it's more boring as fuck.

Another one of these?

Man I wish people would leave Illmatic alone. Make something better, shit, don't emulate. It is Elzhi tho, can't complain too much.

Recon

Banned
Elzhi gets a pass for just being really nice on the mic. Although I am tired of Illmatic homages, etc.

Edit: Plus he is from my state, so i gotta be proud of local dudes getting respect. I love me some Slum Village..!

m3k

its nice, i liked that they put the drums up in the beat... but yeah some tracks in hiphop get over used, illmatic is getting to that status... elzhis nice though

So J. Cole and Cee Lo are gonna be touring with Rihanna and they're making a stop in Oakland. Huge J. Cole and Cee Lo fan but man, I don't know if it's gonna be worth it to buy tickets to a headlined Rihanna concert to see them. Any opinions on that?

Recon

Banned
RBelong2Us said:
So J. Cole and Cee Lo are gonna be touring with Rihanna and they're making a stop in Oakland. Huge J. Cole and Cee Lo fan but man, I don't know if it's gonna be worth it to buy tickets to a headlined Rihanna concert to see them. Any opinions on that?

I would buy the tickets in a heartbeat. Rihanna is a bit annoying, but she puts on a good show. And Cee Lo and J.Cole are an instant buy in my book.

Acid08

Banned
RBelong2Us said:
Think of it this way, see two dudes you really want to then bump and grind on some hot ass Bay girls while they're going crazy to Rihanna. Win win really.

Recon

Banned
Just looked up that tour with rihanna,cee lo, and j.cole, they are coming to Detroit. Looks like ill be going to that in june!

Edit: Yes! OFWGKTA are in Detroit in May...summer will be a good time for hip hop concerts.

m3k

TheOddOne said:
GAF I'm listening to Friday Night Light now. How the fuck is this a mixtape? This is some premium shit.

he couldve made a good cd out of it by cutting 4 or 5 songs... most of its good, dont like some of the beats though

nice mix tape

TheOddOne

Lil B Says I'm Gay LP Title Provoking Death Threats, Slurs
'One-hundred years later, people gonna thank me, because people are going to be free,' the Based God tells MTV News.

In his steady rise to rap notoriety, Lil B has relied heavily on his viral fanbase. His multiple MySpace pages, Facebook "likes" and army of Twitter followers have helped propel his music and message. But ever since Lil B announced at Coachella last week that the title of his next album will be I'm Gay, some fans have turned on the Based God. A few have even sent digital death threats.

"People been hitting me up like, 'I'm gonna bash your head in,' 'you f----t,' 'I'm gonna kill you,' " Lil B told MTV News on Thursday (April 21), as he drove to a show at the Mezzanine in San Francisco.

With upcoming shows lined up in Chicago, Detroit and at the Bamboozle Festival in New Jersey in the next few weeks, Lil B showed no signs of fear and said he'd proceed with his scheduled dates.

"I'm not gonna stop and I'm not scared of anybody on earth," he said of the Twitter backlash. "That's why I [titled the album I'm Gay] and nobody gonna stop me."

B insisted he's not a homosexual, but that he is gay, i.e., extremely happy, flipping the word and focusing on its other definition. "I'm very gay, but I love women. I'm not attracted to men in any way. I've never been attracted to a man in my life. But yes I am gay, I'm so happy," he said. "I'm a gay, heterosexual male."

A spokesman for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) told XXLMag.com that they hope Lil B's album title is "not a gimmick, and is really a sincere attempt to be an ally."

B stressed to MTV News that he is in fact a supporter. "I got major love for the gay and lesbian community, and I just want to push less separation and that's why I'm doing it," the Based God said. "I hope GLAAD sees that I'm taking initial steps to break barriers."

When we asked about the makeup of his fanbase, B said he hadn't noticed whether there was any significant portion of his following that identifies as gay, but that some have already had a negative reaction to his title selection.

"A lot of my supporters have turned on me. It's been a few supporters that's saying, 'I'm not gonna rock with you anymore,' " the controversial MC revealed. "That's fine, because you know what? They didn't love me for real anyway."

Although the rapper has yet to begin recording the album, he expects to have it ready and available on iTunes in the next month or two. Lil B also believes that even though he's facing resistance now, in the future he'll be hailed as a hero. "One-hundred years later, people gonna thank me, because people are going to be free. And that's the main thing. Even if it's 1 percent of the people that listen to me and are gonna be free, that's better than none," he said. "That's better than not speaking up at all ... and I spoke up and I did it."

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
m3k said:
he couldve made a good cd out of it by cutting 4 or 5 songs... most of its good, dont like some of the beats though

nice mix tape
Which songs? That shit is gold from straight to back. Ain't a bad song on there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SoulPlaya said:
One of the most misogynistic rappers in recent memory, and now he's being praised for his stances? Lol, you can tell GLAAD (for instance) has never heard him before.
How is he misogynistic? He took his fine lady to the opera and he happens to resemble J.K. Rowling, and she gave him fellatio as a result. Makes sense to me.

enzo_gt said:
Which songs? That shit is gold from straight to back. Ain't a bad song on there.

Maybe none of it is "bad", but it's too long IMO. He could've cut 17-20 minutes, and had a better overall package than what came out. I know it was free and everything, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom