• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Covert Coup is really good. For the most part ALC nailed it. The only big slip up is Full Metal. Throw that beat away, or give it to Saigon or Papoose.

Kimosabae

Banned
All over that Del album. Had no idea that shit dropped today. Wish I'd have known, I'd have preordered the disc. Don't wanna wait, lol. Hittin' up iTUnes asap/

kamspy

Got the KRIT CD. Sounds like it was mastered with a small mp3 file size in mind. It's barely better then the download.

I've done A->B comparisons on all my gear. It's negligible at best.

Salty as fuck.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Production on Covert Coup is fantastic. It's too bad Currency is a boring ass rapper with a voice and flow that makes me want to stab puppies.

Currensy is just too dope. Dude is not some great lyricist with a great flow, but whatever he does just...works. It's hard to explain. There are a lot of super lyrical guys who flow all over great beats, but they don't get it time to breath. Whereas Currency lives inside the beat, lets it breath, and enhances it. No wonder so many dope producers love him, he makes their shit sound even better.

Reminds me of a story my bad always tells about an awesome Detroit bus driver he had in school. Dude would narrative the entire bus trip, pointing out stops, noting historical sites, etc. A bus ride could be quite a chill experience after a long day at school regardless, but the bus driver enhanced that shit with his dead-serious delivery and factoids. Currency just takes you on a cruise

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
Currensy is just too dope. Dude is not some great lyricist with a great flow, but whatever he does just...works. It's hard to explain. There are a lot of super lyrical guys who flow all over great beats, but they don't get it time to breath. Whereas Currency lives inside the beat, lets it breath, and enhances it. No wonder so many dope producers love him, he makes their shit sound even better.

Reminds me of a story my bad always tells about an awesome Detroit bus driver he had in school. Dude would narrative the entire bus trip, pointing out stops, noting historical sites, etc. A bus ride could be quite a chill experience after a long day at school regardless, but the bus driver enhanced that shit with his dead-serious delivery and factoids. Currency just takes you on a cruise
There is no salvation for a man who makes a song called Michael Knight and puts a 'Vette in the video.

PhoenixDark said:

I partly agree, except I'd even go so far as to say he is a great lyricist. Its just that hes really off kilter and unique with it. His punchlines are unexaggerated, he has a bit of a stream-of-consciousness flow, so his gems are really hard to miss. But dude spits some real hot lines.

iavi

Covert Coupe is better than either Pilot Talk, hands fucking down. The fact that this is a free tape is quite criminal, and fucking glorious.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
PhoenixDark said:
lmao GLAAD responding to the Based God's plans. It would be so hilarious if he did some electro pop rap songs to attract some gay fans, and became a based Lady Gaga
keikaku.jpg

JEKKI

MThanded said:
Alchemist at his finest. 8 double 07 is godlike too.

Side note: Anyone else a big fan of statik selektah?
Statik! to me that dood is like the spiritual successor to Premier. I am a bit fan of all his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frrnd71vgW0

except for 1982. That album was awful. X_X

Grzi said:
oh sheeeeeyit~!! totally forgot about that! gotta get my hype back up for it,

except a new Vakill track dropped today and has thus earned all my hype for the time being:

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/04/20/vakill-armorgeddon-prod-jake-one/

HiResDes

Nabs said:
New Slomotion Soundz / Blockbeataz

Kristmas - W2 Boy http://kristmas.bandcamp.com/

Not sure who produced it, but I'm betting it's worth listening to if you're into SMS.
YES. Got this, got the new Spitta, now all I need is the new Quik and I'll be all caught up.

Edit: Bronson's Consensual Rape is ridiculous...STAY LEAN LIKE SOME MOTHERFUCKING OSTRICH MEAT

kamspy

Not everyone is celebrating 4/20 today. After waiting three hours in customs during his route from LA to Canada, the rapper was denied entry into Canada. Chuck later took to Twitter to reveal that he is detained for 14 days. O Canada!

Been in Customs for 3 hours……. #patienceIsAvirtue.Customs officials just denied me entry into Canada. I’m sorry 2 ALL my fans but I was mislead by promoters & assured I would be able 2 enter. This just in: I’m being detained in Canada for 14 days until they process my inadmissability then I’ll have a hearing heard by a judge. At that point the judge will decide to either deport me or give me a sentence for violating Canada’s immigrant entry laws. F%cked up situation !!! But at least they let me call home, & tweet before they lock a n!gga up !!! Gotta turn in my property, y’all be kool.Gotta give up my phone & property. This some straight bullshit ! Flew all the way from LA to be denied and detained ?!?! WTF

http://rapradar.com/

Gamer98

Banned
kamspy said:
Not everyone is celebrating 4/20 today. After waiting three hours in customs during his route from LA to Canada, the rapper was denied entry into Canada. Chuck later took to Twitter to reveal that he is detained for 14 days. O Canada!

http://rapradar.com/

Keep his ass there...shit the less music from this wack nigga the better.

RPS37

So Visions didn't come out yesterday. It seems to be delayed off some shit.
Instead we are left with Flying Boat, a tape by his Genzu Nation affiliate. I'm liking a couple songs so far, but I feel like I just need to go through another listen-through or 2.

EDIT: Holy shit @ this Aleon Craft tape.

LOZLINK

RJT said:
Never heard the rumor about Fantastic Four before, but damn if that wouldn't be a certified classic... Kweli, Monch, Common and Black Thought... *starts to drool*
Guerrilla Monsoon rap was amazing enough and that 3/4, imagine an entire album, soooo goooood

RJT

LOZLINK said:
Guerrilla Monsoon rap was amazing enough and that 3/4, imagine an entire album, soooo goooood
Also:
-Respiration (Kweli and Common)
-Respiration Remix (Kweli and Thought)
-One Four Love (Monch, Kweli and Common)
-Get em High (Kweli and Common)
-Yelling Away (Kweli and Common)

Are all amazing songs...

Add production by Kanye and Mos on some songs and it would be the perfect supergroup.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Blackace said:
Even I would have listened to Ye Lupe and Skateboard P

And 2Face would have been stupid ill
I thought this was still going to happen. Has it been confirmed to be canned?

That article is conjecture at best. I'm keeping hope alive.

MThanded said:
I thought this was still going to happen. Has it been confirmed to be canned?

That article is conjecture at best.
It's not confirmed as being canned, actually.

For some odd reason, I don't feel it'll come into fruition again, though. I'm glad GOOD Fridays gave us Don't Stop.

Edit: BBS is my favorite track on Covert Coup. I CANNOT STOP LISTENING.

kamspy

I know I'm pretty LTTP, but I just started listening to R4 (the CD is just a rip of the mp3 version. no gain in quality)

DAMN. HOT FUCKING DAMN. Songs I haven't heard people here hype up much but really got me are Shake It, Lions and Lambs and The Vent. If I have any complaints it's that he went a little to far Outkast when I was really liking his Pimp C on Wuz Here. Overall, we got a hell of rapper on our hands. This dude is a tier above all the other recent "freshmen". I have no idea why he signed with Def Jam. He doesn't need money for producers, dude coulda blew up Indie. I hope he didn't sign a long deal.

Oh, and Covert Coup. Yeah. How do I get that CD Toku?

Detox

After the awesome D.O.C interview, HHDX brings another great one with DJ Quik. Hope some of you guys realise with this quote that Dre isn't just some sort of composer and he actually gets down and produces, Dre got the secret sauce. So does anyone have impressions about new Quik or is it just Blackace calling it hot?

Uh … I didn’t hear that. I mean, [Dr.] Dre shows me his appreciation for me like when we hang out. So, I get it. And actually, I don’t even know if Dre knows, [on] Safe and Sound, some of those songs - like “Somethin’ 4 Tha Mood,” that was just me imitating what he did on Snoop [Doggy Dogg’s] album, [Doggystyle], like “Ain’t No Fun.” We throw the G-Funk ball back and forth. And it’s great to play in tandem with sharp thinkers like that. Dr. Dre is a producer who’s … He’s the bomb. And every time I leave the studio I learn something else from him. It’s like, he’s never gonna be the kind of dude that’ll shut down and not show you a secret. He’s nurturing in that way. That’s why Eminem is successful. Like, he nurtured Em. … [Dr. Dre is] always gonna be one of my top three producers in the world.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Book of David is great, not his best album ever but the production is still miles beyond what every other producer is doing these days. So far there only only two tracks I'm not feeling (babylon and time stands). Flow For Sale is bonkers dope.

PBY

Banned
1.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?ppox3pulm8zup4b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom