• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

soultron said:
Rockwell Powers + Ill Bill -- Head UP video.

Not really representative of the feel of the entire tape, but it's the stand out track, in my opinion. Amazing shit. Sounds too much like Rhymesayers stuff, but, in my opinion, it comes pretty close to impersonating that level of greatness.
Just got this album. Haven't listened to it. But based off of that song it will be quality.

Didn't know the special guest would be that thing...

soultron

Banned
HiResDes said:
Sick, seems to have a good presence would definitely check out live.

Andy Milonakis freestyling with a special guest!!!!
Well, she's better at freestyling than she is at written.

Still, not saying much. If there were enough good girls in any battling circuit maybe we'd be able to test her chops, but there aren't many good ones I've seen. If she went against dudes she'd get fucking slaughtered. Sorry for being sexist, but she'd need to cut her teeth first before taking on some of the toptier dudes out there.

HiResDes

She only freestyles...She's like everyone in the Bum Life, RESPECT

As for battling, I'm pretty sure she's self-aware of her niche and is more or less a joke rapper like me.

...Been bumping the new Self Scientific EP, more on that when others are awake and I'm not wired on extremely strong Yorkshire Gold black tea.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
enzo_gt said:
D.O.C.'s whole situation is so sad for someone with so much talent. Wasn't dude finally getting surgery like decades later now or what? What happened with that? I heard he was finally getting some work done to repair his vocal chords and then nothing.

I think they say he is working again.. How strong is his voice I have no idea..

But his first album with Ruthless records was pure flawless, I don't use that often in here..

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
also.. Warren G WAS NOT popping off at Dre in his Nate Dogg song..

Hanging in the balance and life is such a trip
I know the world is full of madness
Learning how to walk and talk again? I can’t imagine..
What that rehabilitation is like
When that Doc said that you couldn’t sing on the mic
What the Hell is going on? He's been writing songs, Hell no, that ain’t Nate Dogg!

the actually professional doctor said he wouldn't be able sing again.. I think he made this song before he died. After his first strokes. because he doesn't talk about like he is gone.. just not around..

Detox

Blackace said:
I think they say he is working again.. How strong is his voice I have no idea..

But his first album with Ruthless records was pure flawless, I don't use that often in here..
So did he finally get surgery or is he just working on a label bringing up new MC's? In the interview he made it sound like he wasn't interested in doing a new album because of his age. He really wants to bring up another generation of artists the same way he helped and mentored guys at Ruthless, Death Row and Aftermath. Still pissed he reached out to Jay Z for money when Dre is sitting on hundreds of millions, every fucker at Aftermath owes D.O.C big time, surprised Game with his usual name calling didn't watch D.O.C's back. I have to say even though I still think of Jay as the guy who got ethered he deserves his props for helping out both DJ Premier and D.O.C with their new labels.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Acid08 said:
Go secure the new Beasties album. I'm going to keep talking about it till someone on here does.

It's gonna suck just like the last few. Not going to stop their diehard fans from claiming "The Beasties are back!!!!", when they really are just doing their same experimental/jazz/hip hop fusion music and not doing it well.

I will give them credit though. The Beastie brand name is strong as hell in some circles. They could do a album rapping the 1983 NYC phonebook over a live band and people will say it is genius. Reminds me of diehard Prince fans.

Jay Sosa

Checked out some tapes Covert Coup is great though not as good as the PT albums but hey it's free, that Frank Ocean album is fucking amazing how deaf are the people at Island DJ exactly to not see his potential? Song for Women and Swim Good are two of the best tracks I've heard in a long time (and I listen to a lot of Soul/RnB maybe even more than I listen to rap).

Donnis tape is better than expected, love the odd sounding production..what else did I listen to..oh yeah some strange album with white dudes rapping about Ice Warriors which leads to the reason I even write this nonsense..

Are there any other records like this? With dudes rapping bout fantasy shit like they're in the Lord of the Rings or other nerdy stuff like that? Kinda like what Del did on Deltron 3030?

TIA

Daaamn Swim Good is even better C&S Oh and speaking of DOC finally bought NOCDIB but haven't listened to it yet..

Oh one tape I forgot is the Audio biography of David Blake tahts a pretty awesome concept with talking bout the particular songs..not necessarily great to listen to in in the car but still a great idea.

Tokubetsu

Jay Sosa said:
Checked out some tapes Covert Coup is great though not as good as the PT albums but hey it's free, that Frank Ocean album is fucking amazing how deaf are the people at Island DJ exactly to not see his potential? Song for Women and Swim Good are two of the best tracks I've heard in a long time (and I listen to a lot of Soul/RnB maybe even more than I listen to rap).

Donnis tape is better than expected, love the odd sounding production..what else did I listen to..oh yeah some strange album with white dudes rapping about Ice Warriors which leads to the reason I even write this nonsense..

Are there any other records like this? With dudes rapping bout fantasy shit like they're in the Lord of the Rings or other nerdy stuff like that? Kinda like what Del did on Deltron 3030?

TIA

Daaamn Swim Good is even better C&S Oh and speaking of DOC finally bought NOCDIB but haven't listened to it yet..

Oh one tape I forgot is the Audio biography of David Blake tahts a pretty awesome concept with talking bout the particular songs..not necessarily great to listen to in in the car but still a great idea.

Link to your Frank Ocean C&S?

Jay Sosa

Oh.. just listened to some C&S version of the song on youtube while writing my post..

Not sure but I assume it's on this tape:

Mike G - Screwed Up Sundays

EDIT:
cover.jpg

Btw dld this tape because of the dudes awesome name and for free stuff from someone I've never ever heard of it's pretty good.

Mike Schpitz . The Package

EDIT²: Sorry it's not on the tape, only on youtube:

Frank Ocean . Swim Good

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Jay Sosa said:
Oh.. just listened to some C&S version of the song on youtube while writing my post..

Not sure but I assume it's on this tape:

Mike G - Screwed Up Sundays

Btw dld this tape because of the dudes awesome name and for free stuff from someone I've never ever heard of it's pretty good.

Mike Schpitz . The Package

EDIT²: Sorry it's not on the tape, only on youtube:

Frank Ocean . Swim Good

I tried to pimp the shit out of this mixtape a few times over the last month. I think Hires bit but other than that I don't think anybody paid attention. Glad you found it as awesome as I did though.

Can't wait to hear what bullshit single he decides to chose for his next flop. Must burn so bad seeing Lil Wayne and Eminem selling records, Fiddy

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
50s new direction, that techno thing, and his scheming to skew his music towards what produces the most profit and is most pop-ish gives me no reason to listen to this bullshit again. 50, you fell off, deal with it.

overcast

cryptic said:
The roots?
Dilla Joints right? Just found it. Going to download the shit out of this.

Also I listened to Rockwell Powers & Ill Pill- Kids in the back 2. Damn that is a good album. Thanks Hi res.

siddx

I pimped a mixtape a while back by a guy named Wax called "scrublife". Beside it being a fun lighthearted tape there is one song on there that may be the greatest thing ever recorded. And it's not even really a hip hop song.

Just bathe in it's glory

kamspy

siddx said:
I pimped a mixtape a while back by a guy named Wax called "scrublife". Beside it being a fun lighthearted tape there is one song on there that may be the greatest thing ever recorded. And it's not even really a hip hop song.

Just bathe in it's glory

I can't tell if it's parody or not. If it's parody it sucks. If it's for real, I feel him.

siddx

kamspy said:
I can't tell if it's parody or not. If it's parody it sucks. If it's for real, I feel him.

Of course it's a parody you grumpy old bastard

overcast

siddx said:
I pimped a mixtape a while back by a guy named Wax called "scrublife". Beside it being a fun lighthearted tape there is one song on there that may be the greatest thing ever recorded. And it's not even really a hip hop song.[/URL]
Lol @ the song you posted.

Wax is actually pretty damn good. Makes some chill ass music. Have to get used to his voice I think.

effzee

enzo_gt said:
50s new direction, that techno thing, and his scheming to skew his music towards what produces the most profit and is most pop-ish gives me no reason to listen to this bullshit again. 50, you fell off, deal with it.

Isn't that been his thing for a while now? When he released a bunch of romantic songs he blamed "following trends" as a reason for the failures of those records.

He just doesn't have the same hunger and sound anymore. It sucks but I guess thats what happens when you don't have any real desire besides making money to sustain and grow as an artist.

kamspy

siddx said:
Whatever it was, it was better than anything Kanye has done in years :p

Actually.....yeah.

COCK LIGHT CHRISTMAS LIGHTS STROBE LIGHTS BLACK LIGHTS NEWPORT LIGHTS BRAKE LIGHTS LITE BRITES PILOT LIGHTS PEN LIGHTS STOVE LIGHTS NORTHERN LIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom