• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ThePrivateCookie said:
that yayo comment was a trolling but true statment lol

he could have put his own money into that album but why would he when the 3 singles prior to "baby by me" didn't take off? i'd aruge even at the height of the "taylor swift" incident people here still hated for more, you should see the disgust and hate whenever 50 is mentioned online and in real life. lol

I didn't expect ye to do those recovery numbers beacuse it's unrealistic in 2011, but the album could hae done better. as for 50 not working hard? come on he put out 3 mixtapes in 09 and kept working on singles but none of them caught on.

and that movie didn't go stright to dvd is was premired in NY & Miami, and what does having other ventures have to do with the music?

i'm done with this since you can only resort to ad hominem attacks now lol

also Eminem & Dr. Dre have not executive produced a 50 cent album since The Masscre, eminem was on drugs for like 5 years, and dr. dre wasn't really working.
People here don't mean shit. A bunch of music-savvy internet nerds don't mean shit for album sales.. see: Nicki Minaj and Drake debuts. I think I'll agree to stop arguing here too, if somehow you believe that 50 was hated more during the Taylor Swift incident. That's just complete nonsense if I've ever read any in this thread. 50 cent was getting props for his trolling for the past few years, he was in the favourable eye for the majority of people, Kanye? Complete polar opposite for a year.

siddx said:
Am I once again the only person on Gaf who dislikes someone who is extremely popular in here? OFWGKTA bores me. Just some kids saying the most ridiculous immature bullshit they can think of. It was amusing at first, but it's gotten old. Not impressed.

edit: that said, I do respect them for going out there and grabbing attention and success for themselves.
No, I also think OFWGKTA is overrated as fuck and make boring, nonsensical music, kind of like Curren$y (except his I wouldn't call nonsensical). I won't like them because they've built up some steam, or have some sort of momentum, despite respecting their grind.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RE: Game. I don't think we'll have another Dre mentoring session with him, because they seem to be on two completely different pages. Dre is busy with Detox and feeding the Kendrick Lamar hype machine, he doesn't have time for Game, who is on the fence between trying to build buzz independently (while trying to find the right single, beyond Red Nation too I'm guessing) and getting on some Dre joints whenever he has cracks in his schedule.

Dare I say Game's hard on for Dre has kinda settled recently.

Cedric

This has probably already been discussed but what's the general consensus on that B.O.B. Odd Future diss track? The only other songs I've ever heard from B.O.B. are Nuthin on you and Airplanes and that was reason enough for me to never want to hear anything from him again. I checked out No Future though, and thought it was a decent track. I mean, it isn't a good diss at all, but as a plain battle rap combined with his flow I think it's actually good.

RPS37

I used to be in a screamo band and I get slightly unhinged pretty much any time anyone uses the word "emo" because pretty much everyone is wrong.

SUPREME1 said:
Remember that Jay line in The Takeover about Nas having a one hot album every ten year average?

That would seemingly apply to 50 Cent thus far. Give it another two years and it'll be fact.

Let's also not fool ourselves into thinking The Masscare did those numbers because it was good. It did those numbers as a result of GRoDT's success. And even then it only did about half.

Everything since GRoDT has been mediocre to bad.

Deal with it.

That's an opinion, but I seem to recall people liking beg for mercy, the massacre, & the get rich soundtrack.

Also the massacre did more than half it did 10 million, and people seem to forget BFM did 6 million

Cedric said:
This has probably already been discussed but what's the general consensus on that B.O.B. Odd Future diss track?
Meh. But I never put too much stock into the 'first round'. Too many times have I seen Joe Budden play possum on some poor guy just to tear his face off.
The only other songs I've ever heard from B.O.B. are Nuthin on you and Airplanes and that was reason enough for me to never want to hear anything from him again.
Really? I'm not really a fan of Nothing On You, but I thought Airplanes was an incredible song. (Part 1 without Eminem, that is)

Detox

Dre's bangers were on Big Bang by Busta, some of the beats on relapse were good as well. I don't get the love for OF but props to them for doing their thing. I've seen the comparisons to Wu but they're nowhere near that level. They spout nonsense out of their mouth but Wu just has much more substance to their lyrics.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
B.O.B.s mixtapes are very different in feel from his album. And are the reason his album was met with such disdain among his pre-nothing on you fans. That said, now that his album has come out and exposed him as a pop rapper, I'd rather he just stuck to that. I don't begrudge him one bit for trying to make a living that way, but don't turn around and go from "magic" to "beast mode" and expect me to buy your bullshit. It makes him sound like a phony.

Cedric

dope4goldrope said:
Really? I'm not really a fan of Nothing On You, but I thought Airplanes was an incredible song. (Part 1 without Eminem, that is)

I dunno, found it very corny and it gave birth to a new wave of rap singles like I Need a Doctor.

Speaking of beefs, regardless of Nikki Minaj's lack of talent that Boi-1da Tragedy beat goes hard. Can't wait til the official instrumental releases and some good rapper delivers something with it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cedric said:
I dunno, found it very corny and it gave birth to a new wave of rap singles like I Need a Doctor.

Speaking of beefs, regardless of Nikki Minaj's lack of talent that Boi-1da Tragedy beat goes hard. Can't wait til the official instrumental releases and some good rapper delivers something with it.
Wait... remind of the correlation between Airplanes and I Need A Doctor again?

Oh and Nicki Minaj's Moment 4 Life beat is crazy, and so is Drake's verse on it. Aside from that, forgettable.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
siddx said:
Am I once again the only person on Gaf who dislikes someone who is extremely popular in here? OFWGKTA bores me. Just some kids saying the most ridiculous immature bullshit they can think of. It was amusing at first, but it's gotten old. Not impressed.

You really aren't as contrarian as you think. It's just that everyone one else doesn't feel the need make announcements on every page.

Cedric said:

That's probably because Alex Da Kid and Skylar Grey are everywhere now. They're pretty much behind these all of these songs. They make instrumentals and choruses and then just whore them out to record labels.

B.o.B. ft. Hayley Williams - Airplanes (prod. Alex, chorus written by Skylar Grey)
Eminem ft. Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie (prod. Alex, originally written and recorded by Skylar Grey but purchased by Rihanna and split with Eminem)
Dr. Dre & Eminem ft. Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (prod. Alex)
Diddy ft. Skylar Grey - Coming Home (prod. Alex)
TI ft. Christina Aguilera - Castle Walls (prod. Alex, chorus written by Skylar Grey)
Lupe Fiasco ft. Skylar Grey - Words I Never Said (prod. Alex)

They must be rolling in money at this point.

siddx

K.Jack said:
You really aren't as contrarian as you think. It's just that everyone one else doesn't feel the need make announcements on every page.

But im the most important person in this thread, hell on gaf in general. So I need to share my thoughts.

Cedric

enzo_gt said:
Wait... remind of the correlation between Airplanes and I Need A Doctor again?

I thought they sounded like the same type of song, but I guess dope4goldrope's post pretty much explains why haha.

At first I wasn't really feeling Odd Future but they grew on me. The whole rape/gore thing does get old but I like the production and think they got a lot of talent.

dope4goldrope said:
That's probably because Alex Da Kid and Skylar Grey are everywhere now. They're pretty much behind these all of these songs. They make instrumentals and choruses and then just whore them out to record labels.

Meh, I like their style so good for them.

HiResDes

siddx said:
But im the most important person in this thread, hell on gaf in general. So I need to share my thoughts.
qTD0V.gif

overcast

Bad Time Zoo is good. Only reason I'm bringing this up is because I wanted to express that I like the fact he references It's Always Sunny
"Wild card like Charlie Day"

kamspy

OF is good but isn't even in the same realm as the Wu. Right now they're really unpolished. There's only about a half dozen songs outside of Frank Ocean that I can fuck with.

kamspy said:
OF is good but isn't even in the same realm as the Wu. Right now they're really unpolished. There's only about a half dozen songs outside of Frank Ocean that I can fuck with.

indeed. But I think Tyler and Earl (this guy in particular) have talent. Not even close to Wu Tang right now though.

Oh and God damn I hate every song Alex da Kid produced.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
I think even comparing Odd Future to Wu Tang in any sense is ridiculous. Just because there are multiple members in a group with supplemental solo careers doesn't make them comparable. It's kinda like people comparing Asher Roth to Em.

Wu Tang is the fucking Wu Tang, there is no comparison.

HiResDes

There aren't man aggressive large posses to compare them to, it's not like people are going to know who Boot Camp Clik are or the Circle of Tyrants (who they are probably most like).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
dope4goldrope said:

B.o.B. ft. Hayley Williams - Airplanes (prod. Alex, chorus written by Skylar Grey)
Eminem ft. Rihanna - Love The Way You Lie (prod. Alex, originally written and recorded by Skylar Grey but purchased by Rihanna and split with Eminem)
TI ft. Christina Aguilera - Castle Walls (prod. Alex, chorus written by Skylar Grey)

I'm a total sucker for tracks with that sort of ethereal female vocal backing. I like most of those tracks...but I know they're just schlock.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Angelus Errare said:
Co-sign on that chill, this beat is amazing and at the same time laid back as hell. I can def feel some RZA vibes with this beat.
Yeah someone noted the RZA influences in the timestamp-notes on the track and I definitely see it too. No doubt Ye got RZA to give him some tips here and there from the weeks he was in Miami with Ye, and Ye shifted his style a bit. Kinda reminds me of some of those pre-college dropout beats from Ye too.

Also I'm a bit late, but that Pac Div tape is really dope. Been listening to it for the past few weeks here and there and oddly enough the least bullshit-rap song is my favourite: The Mirror.

kamspy said:
Kanye needs to keep Cons carrying. You can't just let a veteran WC like that walk. He's like the Scottie Pippen of carriers.
Shouldn't you be mad GLC is sleeping under Kanye's MPC stand?

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
I know I'm extremely late but I finally listened to Ab Souls tape, Long Term 2. For some weird reason I always thought he's just the hypeman of Black Hippie, but the tape is just as awesome as Qs, K.Dots and Jay Rocks. I even go as far and say they are the most talented collective in rap, right next to OF.

I especially love how he talks about his struggles in a fun and entertaining way, not like Buddens who's depressing as fuck. It's a nice change to all these dudes telling me how rich and fly they are..

Soul Cry

Regular

Drift Away

And I would pay good money to see 50 beat the shit out of Kanye..musically they both suck.
Get his album it's so fucking good...Blows that shit away

Anyway I've been bumping this, pretty damn hype:

trouble.jpeg
back.jpeg

DOWNLOAD LINK

...Dude gets annoying at times though whenever he gets off-key on his hooks.

Also...

WHY DON'T MORE PEOPLE FUCK WITH MELO-X?

...Seriously?

...SERIOUSLY! (NSFW)

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Kanye West invented the MPC when he created Runaway. Melo X is just a shark biter.
...He's been doing it for years, just never gets the attention he deserves. He's got so much potential and already has Kanye beat in terms of rapping skill...His production isn't too far behind either.

Kaizer

Banned
Been listening to some Nujabes lately (damn I miss him) and came upon this during my YouTube searches. Love seeing where he pulled all of his samples from, it's super inspirational for me as a beginning producer.

BTW, that MeLo X vid was dope as hell, it's so hard to keep up with all the talented folks in hip-hop. At least Hi-Res always comes with the "monthly mixtapes you should listen to" posts, I found some great stuff because of it.

HiResDes

Pinko Marx said:
Haven't posted here in a while. Just thought I'd say hi.
Hi. :3
Haven't been listening to Hip-hop. Been on some other shit lately.
Really glad to see you, not so happy to hear that...Sounds like a bummer

Cedric

A couple of pages back I said I wanted to get into newschool rap, and just for fun these are my impressions. Freddie Gibbs is probably my favorite so far, dude is dope and got nice beats. Kendrick Lamar is nice too, XV got a couple of nice tracks (Final Fantasy XV, get Bizzy and Everybody's Nobody) but I find the dude sounds a bit too much like Lupe Fiasco. Oh, and Chip da ripper is a funny dude. Not a big fan of KRIT but he might grow on me, Smoke DZA also seems like he has a lot of potential for heavy ipod rotation.

edit: oh, and before all this I used to think Wiz was cool but Curren$y outshines him and I'm not really feeling his style much. Tracks like Car Service are hot though.

siddx

Is it that time again? Yes it's that time again, been too long.
Lets hear some top albums of all time lists people. I wanna see em.

1. Atmosphere - When life gives you lemons

Yes I am aware this is a biased pick from an Atmosphere groupie but I dont give a fuck. There are two stinkers on here (relative to the brilliance of everything else) but the strength of the rest of the album is so strong it doesn't matter. This album benefits from coming out at a very unique time in my life, when I was transitioning from the most miserable time in my life to one of the best. It became my soundtrack. I can't listen to a single song without immediately being rocketed back to Seattle and all the good and bad times I had. Ant's production reached an entire new level and Slug sounded more mature and wise, adding a hint of happiness to even the sadder tracks. From the beautiful wild wild horses (a track I initially hated and now count as one of my favorite of all time) to the simple but touching Waitress to the bombshell twist of Yesterday. I love this album and doubt it will ever be knocked off it's top spot.

2. Nas - Illmatic
I actually came to this after it was written. It was 1996, and I had broken free of my singular focus on G Funk. Two years of obsessing over Doggystyle and The Chronic (and southerplayalistic as well to be fair) I suddenly found an appreciation for east coast hip hop I didn't have before. I bought It Was Written and enjoyed it, but I decided I needed to see what the fuss was about regarding his first album. Precise and intense without trying to hard to make you listen, every track was gold. I would play it all the way through and then let it start all over again. Every line captured your attention, every beat was unique. If not for the emotional connection that "When life" has over me, this would no doubt be my number 1.

3. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

I loved The Chronic, I still do. I had been fascinated by NWA and this was just something on a whole other level. I picked up the nuttin but a g thang single and listened to it nonstop all summer. When I got back to Nepal, I found a bootleg copy (which was all they sold there) in some tape store. The cover was just a photograph of the real cover, bent to fit into the cassette case. I thought it was the greatest thing ever made, until I heard doggystyle. Chronic was good, great even. But doggystyle was perfect. Not a single bad song on the entire album, I played it until the words on the front were rubbed off. And when it broke, I had my dad fix it. When it broke again beyond repair, I got a replacement copy. When that broke I got the CD. I listened to this album every single day before school, during lunch, after school, at home, before going to bed, and every spare second in between. I was obsessed.

4. Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
I didn't like this album at first. It was just another set of tracks on my mp3 player that I downloaded because I had liked Lucy Ford and Overcast somewhat but not enough to count myself as a fan. I would skip most of the songs when they came on, not really being in the mood for that type of rap. But one day it just clicked. I listened to one song, and then another, and another and so on. I spent the entire day listening to the album over and over and proceeded to make it my go to album for months. Dark, angry, passionate, and clever. I had never heard anything like it before. It made me want to write about something that mattered. Some of the production doesn't hold up as strongly as it once did, but nothing stands out as bad. It remains a classic in my eyes, even with the band having surpassed it.

5. Scarface - The Untouchable
My "what the fuck?" entry. Most people who think of classic scarface name the Diary. Or even the Fix. But this album might as well not exist in the minds of a lot of fans. Seemingly wiped away from existence by the hype around Biggie, Pac, Wu, Nas and other big artists dominating hip hop at the time, this under-appreciated classic deserves a listen. It's another album that needs to "click". Once it did, I found myself sitting around for hours just letting it loop. Every song fits with one another, moving from the intro to the outro as one cohesive unit. It reeks of character and mood and atmosphere. The album itself is it's own entity, a dangerous OG telling it's dark stories to a captive audience.

6. Arrested Development - 3 years, 5 Months and 2 days

Wait...what? I recently rediscovered this album, forgotten and relegated to my memories as an album I enjoyed when I was younger. In comparison to their melancholy and frustrated sounding (yet still very good) second album, this one was pure fun. You can dance to most of it, bob our head, or just chill. It managed to preach without sound preachy (another problem with the second album) yet still just be FUN. It's singles were overplayed to hell and songs like Mr.Wendal come across a bit corny in this day and age, but if you can step back from it all and just appreciate it for what it is, you will have a damn good time.

7. Outkast - Southernplayalisticaddilacfunkymusic

ATLiens is a better album. But southern has better songs. Hootie hoo, deep, Aint no thang, the title track, playa's ball, and one of my all time favorites git up and git out. There were some truly awful moments (funky ride, too many interludes) but the tracks I listed above were just too damn good to let that hurt it. But wait, this is a best album list sidd, you fucking jackass, and you said atliens is better. Yes but southern also has that all important emotional attachment too. Once again reminding me of time in my life, first girlfriends in this case. Plus I have to honestly say I hated ATLiens when it first dropped, I wanted more Southernplaya, not this crazy aliens shit. It took me many many years to appreciate ATLiens.

8. Ice Cube - Death Certificate
The sheer intense fuck you in the faceness of Cube on Amerikkka's most wanted was hard to match, but Cube not only did it, but topped it. More mature and grown up than Amerikkka's, DC is funny, thought provoking, shocking, and just plain smart. The production is tighter and more interesting, the lyrics approaching far more subjects with more rage mixed with intelligence than anyone else, even Chuck D, could manage. Even when he was being borderline racist about Korean store owners and white people dating black girls, he still came across as someone you'd at least agree to disagree with. If this album had an emotional stamp on it from me (like lemons and southernplaya does) I have no doubt it would be top 3.

9. Biggie - Ready To Die
I briefly thought about putting Life After Death on here instead. I played the hell out of that album and the few songs I disliked grew on me over the years. But Ready To die has left a far bigger impression on me. It lacks the feeling of deliberately looking for a hit album that Life After Death had. It was just Biggie saying here the fuck I am, you will respect me. Most of the production is relatively simple but enjoyable, knowing it needs to play second fiddle to Biggie and his intense presence. Ready to die is a biggie album. Life after death is a bad boy album with biggie taking the spotlight.

10. Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Yo, microphone check 1,2 what is this? This is the album that changed hip hop for me. It didn't have to be angry or violent or negative. It could be fun, irreverent, intelligent and light. The production is a brilliant display of how simplicity in beat creation isn't always a bad thing and doesn't have to result in boring repetitive beats. Phife and Tip are at the top of their game and every line sounds like it belongs exactly where it is.

Odd and honorable mentions
Kriss Kross - Totally Krossed Out : No, this wasn't a classic, not even great...hell it wasn't even good, merely average. But it deserves mention because for whatever reason, it was the album that inspired me to start writing my own lyrics. Possibly thinking that if these kids can be rappers, why couldn't my 10 years old ass?

Atmosphere - Sevens Travels : Almost vilified by some atmosphere fans. Perhaps I have the benefit of having thoroughly enjoyed this album long before encountering any hate towards it on the internet. The middle is very weak, and ruins the brilliant beginning and ends.

Makaveli - 7 Day Theory : Another album I was disappointed with at first. I wanted more All Eyez on Me and felt let down. But on a long road trip in Indonesia, this CD came up in my rotation and having listened to everything else I had, I figured why not. Perhaps it was the first time I really listened to it, or maybe it's because the first few songs outside of Hail Mary aren't all that impressive to be honest. But when it hits Just Like Daddy especially, the album changes. It becomes more than just good, it becomes brilliant and haunting. Every track from then on sounds like 2pac knowing just where he wanted to go as an artist from then on. And if Against All Odds was the last Pac song we ever heard from him, it would have been one of the greatest send off songs in history.

DJ Quik - Safe and Sound : This album could very very easily slide into the top 10 at any time. Just a few days ago it was, but I am so damn ADD I can barely keep a top ten list the same from hour to hour. I have no doubt it will be back in the top 10 within the week. Just a brilliant display of west coast gangsta funk, done with more intelligence and creativity than Dre could ever hope.

Common - One Day It Will All Make Sense : Common's most under-appreciated album. Resurrection is dope, and LWFC has some phenomenal songs (fuck ya'll, The Light is a classic) but this album just has...something. It's just so solid, so interesting. It feels like a mix of the softer common from LWFC and the harder Common from Resurrection, creating a unique mix I don't think we've seen from him since.

De La Soul - Stakes is High : De La was angry, De La was disappointed, De La was on point and coming with fire. I could put both De La is Dead and Mosaic Thump on here as well. De La are incredibly consistent and a lot of producers and rappers owe their styles and sounds to these guys without even realizing it.

Wu Tang - Enter the wu : This barely missed the top 10, only because it didn't age as well as I had hoped. Still definitely listenable though. The kind of album that made you want to be a rapper or punch people in the throat, or both.

DOC - No One Can Do It Better : The fact I didn't hear this album until I was much older is possibly the only thing that keeps it out of the top 10 and even top 20 for me. When I consider it in terms of what else was out at the time, it blows me mind to think how far beyond everyone else DOC was. But without the benefit of having actually heard it in that era, I otherwise just see it as an extremely solid old school hip hop album.

Goodie Mob - Soul Food and Still Standing : An almost blind purchase for me. I had briefly heard Cell Therapy on MTV but thats all I had to go on. I spent the summer playing the hell out of this album. A few forgettable tracks mar an otherwise brilliant debut full of amazing production and a group of emcees hungry to make their voices heard and most importantly, work as a cohesive group rather than a collection of emcees. Still Standing is another album with some unique memories attached to it's brilliant first half and weaker but still decent second half.

Kanye West - College Dropout : Oddly, I already feel like this aged poorly, which may in the end be my main knock against Kanye, his stuff doesn't hold it's age. But perhaps it doesn't matter, maybe his point was to make something brilliant for that specific time, and if so he succeeded. This was my go to album my last year of College, living in my car's cd player until it warped in the Florida heat. It was brilliant and refreshing, sounding like nothing else out there. I was a college Senior, I was cruising through my last two years, and after wasting too much time being a shut in, I was actually feeling comfortable enough to explore southern florida. Good memories, good music.

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass : Most Aesop fans would name Float or Labor Days as their favorite. But for me this album brought me back to Aesop after losing interest for several years. The production is just brilliant.

UGK - Supertight : We had the best UGK album debate a few pages back but this one takes it for me for 4 specific songs. The Return (one of the best opening tracks ever), Protect and Serve, Pocket full of stones 2, and my favorite UGK song ever, front back and side to side. This is riding around music, you will feel like king of the motherfucking world with the subs blasting.

Fear of A Black Planet, The Chronic, Chronic 2001, License to Ill, The Infamous, SSLP/MMLP, Bow Down, and several others all deserve mention too.

And of course Wiz Khalifa's Rolling Papers...syke! Softer than baby shit in a ziplock bag up a fat girl's vagina.

JEKKI

everyone should kno my top 6 albums of all time. in no particular order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXKFT1o0D4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52xU7uIbsfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEllkNSxLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-yV1SlIUD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQe23hUnY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHtIt--aUmU

I have to condense it to six... coz my honorable mentions list is at least 200 albums o_O

siddx said:
DOC - No One Can Do It Better : The fact I didn't hear this album until I was much older is possibly the only thing that keeps it out of the top 10 and even top 20 for me. When I consider it in terms of what else was out at the time, it blows me mind to think how far beyond everyone else DOC was. But without the benefit of having actually heard it in that era, I otherwise just see it as an extremely solid old school hip hop album.
and thank you for mentioning this!!

DOC's album is definitely a classic album that somehow gets slept on by a lot of people...

I was actually listening to it again the other week! it's on my gym playlist!!!

i really like When Life Gives You Lemons, but #1 all time? just can't fathom that pick. My top ten would probably include (not in order) Makaveli, Doggystyle, ATLiens, The Diary, Death Certificate, All Eyez On Me, Illmatic, A Piece of Strange, E. 1999 and Tech N9ne's Anghellic

siddx

GodfatherX said:
i really like When Life Gives You Lemons, but #1 all time? just can't fathom that pick. My top ten would probably include (not in order) Makaveli, Doggystyle, ATLiens, The Diary, Death Certificate, All Eyez On Me, Illmatic, A Piece of Strange, E. 1999 and Tech N9ne's Anghellic

You know how everyone has that one artist that just (cliche corny bullshit phrase in coming, beware) speaks to them? That ticks all the right boxes and makes the kind of music that inspires you constantly? That makes the kind of music you wish you could make and never ever gets old for you? Thats Atmosphere for me, and Lemons is the album that connects with me the most.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Here is Young Guru talking about Hip Hop and how International artists should go about presenting themselves internationally. Man I love listening to this guy talk. He's really no bullshit, straight to the point, and only logical points right out of his vast reservoir of knowledge.

Okay now time to go back and digest all of that. If I made my top 10 albums of all time, GAF-Hop would shake their heads and exile me forever from here. I simply haven't listened to many/enough albums. I'll have you know I've never listened to Atmosphere, ever.

Can we do Nas vs. Jay-Z next?

The M.O.B

dope4goldrope said:

I could care less for Alex Da Kidd's terrible productions, by Skylar Grey is mad talented. I wish she wasn't signed to his company, she is the only good part on most of these songs.

siddx

I'm going to bed, I expect to see lists and lots of angry fighting tomorrow when I wake up. I also expect Wiz to still be softer than a melted milkshake dribbling outta diddy's buttcheeks.

Kimosabae

Banned
I like 'None Shall Pass' less and less everytime I hear it. It was my second favorite after Float when it released, but as the years passed, it hasn't held it's age as well as his fan favorites - and for good reason - the subject matter is more digestible (relative to Ace) but largely more disposable (again, relative to Ace).

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
I like 'None Shall Pass' less and less everytime I hear it. It was my second favorite after Float when it released, but as the years passed, it hasn't held it's age as well as his fan favorites - and for good reason - the subject matter is more digestible (relative to Ace) but largely more disposable (again, relative to Ace).

This is a bit how i feel. NSP can feel like a loose collection and less of an album compared to his other work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom